2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm pretty sure he got told to find a new job.  Never made any sense for him to leave college for the NFL.  Recruiting is what he does best.

When you get a shot at learning under McVay and getting NFL experience under your belt and on your resume you take it

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly surprised to see Gilbert make that jump now rather than waiting another month. Unless something has changed since late October the NCAA is still planning to vote in January to increase or outright remove the assistant coach cap. Last I checked it was expected to pass. Once that happens you can get all kinds of creative finding titles and roles for these guys like Gilbert who are critical to the program but road blocked by the traditional coaching tree structure and staff. 

I'll avoid going entirely down the rabbit hole but the potential ramifications of that rule change are extremely fascinating. Certainly presents opportunities to flex things around and create new roles underneath current coordinators and positional coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Honestly surprised to see Gilbert make that jump now rather than waiting another month. Unless something has changed since late October the NCAA is still planning to vote in January to increase or outright remove the assistant coach cap. Last I checked it was expected to pass. Once that happens you can get all kinds of creative finding titles and roles for these guys like Gilbert who are critical to the program but road blocked by the traditional coaching tree structure and staff. 

I'll avoid going entirely down the rabbit hole but the potential ramifications of that rule change are extremely fascinating. Certainly presents opportunities to flex things around and create new roles underneath current coordinators and positional coaches. 

Are we bringing Bruce Chambers back?

On 12/21/2022 at 12:46 AM, HateYouAndMyself said:

I think this rule change is a pretty big deal and obviously favors a place like Texas.  I think it will be really interesting to see who gets added to the staff and what their responsibilities are going to be.

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well who are they?

Fuck you for making me post the "10 high school coaches I suck up to and consider friends" article

Spoiler

Chris Gilbert’s departure means the Longhorns will have to replace a valuable member of the staff. It can be argued that Gilbert was one of the most important hires Steve Sarkisian made when he assembled his initial staff. Gilbert’s connections to high school coaches across the state, but his ability to recruit by building authentic relationships can’t be undervalued.

Now the Longhorns will have a tough decision to make to fill his role. The first is prioritizing what type of staffer they want to replace him. Do they want someone well-known in coaching circles or someone who can be an asset in recruiting? Do they want a coach tied into a specific area like Gilbert was with Dallas or someone in one of the more rural areas of the state?

The other consideration they will have to make is the IAWP rule which is defined below by “Football Scoop”

The NCAA instituted the IAWP rule -- individual associated with a prospect -- to prevent schools from hiring high school coaches, trainers or family members of prominent recruits in order to game the recruiting process. The rule, adopted in 2017, prevented schools from hiring persons dubbed IAWPs for a two-year period both before and after the prospect's recruitment unless that individual joined the full-time coaching staff.

The NCAA has been moving toward changes with this rule, but it does make some situations a bit murky. We’ve talked with several sources in compliance offices and other college staffers to get a better handle on that rule, but the results have been mixed. While changes are expected in the future, anyone in conflict with the rule would need an on-field role to comply.

Regardless, here are ten names that could be suitable hires for the role.

Josh Gibson, Head Coach, Texarkana Pleasant Grove

Gibson is a three-time state finalist and two-time state champion who led Pleasant Grove to unprecedented heights during his tenure. He’s well-known and well-respected in coaching circles, and would be an excellent ambassador for the university. Gibson also relates well with kids and families as is evident by talking to any member of his team. Gibson checks the boxes in just about every category and would be a top-notch hire.

Marcus Shavers (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Marcus Shavers, Head Coach, McKinney

Shavers is another coach who would be on my shortlist if I were doing the hiring. A former star player at Allen High School, Shavers went on to a collegiate career before coming back to be a high school coach. After spending years as an assistant, Shavers was hired as the head coach at Lubbock Estacado before moving to McKinney. He’s well-regarded in the coaching community and beloved by his players. Shavers is one of several on this list who view Gilbert as a mentor and would be similar in the role.

Claude Mathis, Head Coach, Desoto

Fresh off a state championship, the stock for Mathis has never been higher. A native of the Austin area, Mathis went from Bartlett to Texas State before reaching the NFL briefly. Mathis served as the head coach Austin Anderson and Austin LBJ before getting the job with Desoto. After building the Eagles into a state power, Mathis took a job at SMU as the running backs coach. He returned from the college ranks and served as head coach at Marshall before returning to Desoto and winning a state championship in 2022. The IAWP rule could be an issue for Texas here with Johntay Cook and Tre Wisner signing last year. It would also prevent Texas from recruiting Desoto in the next two years. If Texas could figure out the ins and outs, Mathis would be a solid hire.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Riley Dodge, Head Coach, Southlake Carroll

A former Texas high school football star and one-time Longhorn commit, Dodge started his coaching career after playing at the University of North Texas. The son of former Texas quarterback Todd Dodge oversaw the development of Quinn Ewers with the Dragons and is regarded as one of the best young coaching minds in the state. Dodge has turned down numerous college offers which could complicate things as he wants to be on the field. Still, it would be worth giving him a call and gauging his interest.

Courtney Allen, Head Coach, Mesquite Horn

Allen is the closest thing Texas could find to Gilbert. The two are extremely close, as Allen served under Gilbert at Lancaster. A former Dallas Kimball star, Allen took his first head coaching job at North Crowley building the program into a playoff team. He took the Mesquite Horn job prior to last season and led the Jaguars to the playoffs in year one. Allen runs in many of the same circles as Gilbert and is well-liked in north Texas. He also has a unique ability to connect with kids and would be a very effective recruiter.

DJ Mann (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

DJ Mann, Head Coach, Lubbock Coronado

Mann has been all over the state spending time coaching in Dallas, Houston, east Texas and west Texas. For years he was one of the best recruiting coordinators in the state building relationships with college staffs across the country and sending a lot of players to the next level. Mann was most recently at Cedar Hill before taking the Lubbock Coronado job where he once starred as a player prior to the 2021 season. Mann knows the ins and outs of recruiting better than just about anyone and is one of the more popular coaches in the state. He would also clear all IAWP rules and I believe he’d be open to taking the job.

Jamahl Fenner, Head Coach, Austin LBJ

A native of Austin, Fenner starred at Austin Reagan in high school before going on to play at UTEP and in the Arena League. Fenner returned to the high school ranks and served as an assistant at LBJ before landing the head coaching job in 2018. During his time witht he Jaguars, Fenner turned LBJ into a state contender reaching the finals in 2021. He has experience at the college level as a player and has worked in the inner city coaching a woefully underfunded program to the state finals. Fenner is respected statewide and would be able to connect with players of all backgrounds given his experience.

(Photo: PNG Athletics)

Cade McCrary, Offensive Coordinator, Port Neches-Groves

A former Lake Travis standout who played at the University of Texas, McCrary would come by the role naturally. The son of Hardee McCrary who once served in the role of Director of High School Relations. After graduating from Texas, McCrary went into the coaching world spending time under Riley Dodge at Southlake Carroll. He just finished his first season as the offensive coordinator at Port Neches-Groves where he helped lead the Indians to the state championship. Because of his father’s connections, McCrary would have a huge rolodex with high school coaches. He would also have a unique viewpoint as a recruiter having played at Texas. He’s a bit outside of the box, but he would be a valuable addition to the coaching staff.

James Williams, Head Coach, Fort Bend Marshall

Williams is originally from Illinois and he played football at the University of Illinois. After his career was over, Williams served as a recruiting staffer and graduate assistant. Following his college stint, Williams came to Texas and served as a high school assistant at Manvel and Fort Bend Hightower. He’s been at Marshall since 2010 where he’s overseen a program that has been among the state’s best. Williams has been praised for his leadership of the program and his ability to connect with his players. He would give the Longhorns more power in the Houston area, but wouldn’t be limited to that region.

(Photo: Our Esquina)

COMMENTS
Marco Regalado, Executive Director of Player Personnel and Recruiting Innovation, Rice

Regalado is on his second college staff having served at Washington State and Rice. A native of Zapata (Texas), Regalado coached in the Rio Grande Valley at PSJ Memorial before moving to DFW and serving at Eaton High School. He became a viral sensation during the COVID-19 pandemic for Tik Toks portraying coaching skits, but he proved his mettle as a recruiter with Washington State. Since coming to Rice, Regalado has been part of a strong recruiting staff for the Owls and has overseen the recruiting operation for Mike Bloomgren. His college experience and time as a recruiter would be valuable to the staff.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Mann would be a good one. Highly respected in the Dallas area and the state, has a good personality, social media following. . That’s who I’d target.

We need a Houston/ETX guy in my opinion to really cut both LSU and aggy off at the knees.  

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We need a Houston/ETX guy in my opinion to really cut both LSU and aggy off at the knees.  

Seeing as how Dallas is the most talent rich area in Texas I would like to see us continue to make that a priority and by hiring someone with ties to that area. 

Just now, EE2B said:

I’m actually surprised they didn’t include Scott Surratt from Carthage on that list if they were going to throw shit against the wall. I believe he’s won 9 state championships in 15 years or something crazy like that. 

He’s a god in that town he’s not leaving for anything less than a p5 HC job 

Edited by utfan87

11 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Seeing as how Dallas is the most talent rich area in Texas I would like to see us continue to make that a priority and by hiring someone with ties to that area. 

There is a lot of wiggle room between a 2-300k per year head coach and a 5+ mil per year head coach. You don't think that guy would accept an assistant position at a place like Texas, A&M, Tech, TCU, Baylor etc. or for double his salary? You are out of your mind. 

Edited by Vertigo

16 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

He will leave to the next level once his kid is out of HS

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There is a lot of wiggle room between a 2-300k per year head coach and a 5+ mil per year head coach. You don't think that guy would accept an assistant position at a place like Texas, A&M, Tech, TCU, Baylor etc. or for double his salary? You are out of your mind. 

He currently makes like 115-130k I believe. That’s why he doesn’t go to bigger Texas high schools. At the college level at p5 assistant he can make 300-500k easily once he decides to leave Carthage. 

1. Enlarge the hiring pool to include athletic directors and recently retired coaches. That would reduce the likelihood of a recruit being disqualified.

2. Hire multiple liaisons. One for Dallas area, one for Houston area, another for the rest of the state. Maybe others for different regions of the country.

• Hook 'Em 2