2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

Just now, Nuge said:

Where is his home?  Ft Worth or Austin?  I was under the impression that he moved to Austin so I'm confused how time away from home is such a factor.

Fort Worth. Burton said his wife stayed up in Fort Worth and I guess Patterson just got an apartment or something for during the season.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT 

*We’ll start with the WR coaching search. A name we haven’t mentioned but should is Baylor running backs coach Justin “Juice” Johnson. Though he’s running backs coach for the Bears, he played receiver at U of H under Kevin Sumlin and coached the position at Kansas. Admittedly, on the surface this would seem to be an odd choice but there would certainly be more than meets the eye that we would need to learn about.

This is such terrible use of language.  "There would certainly be more than meets the eye... at least we assume so, we'll need to learn about it first."

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT 

*We’ll start with the WR coaching search. A name we haven’t mentioned but should is Baylor running backs coach Justin “Juice” Johnson. Though he’s running backs coach for the Bears, he played receiver at U of H under Kevin Sumlin and coached the position at Kansas. Admittedly, on the surface this would seem to be an odd choice but there would certainly be more than meets the eye that we would need to learn about.

This feels like a test balloon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Maybe Kliff will be the offensive version of Gary

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

His offense doesn't even remotely mesh with Sark's, so take what was already an unrealistic fantasy and jettison it into the sun. 

Actually according to this Ian Boyd article from August 2021, there is a lot of overlap between Sark's Offense at Bama & the Air Raid-based RPO spread offenses that's been run in the Big 12 for the last 12-13 seasons: https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/gameplan-steve-sarkisian-offense-101/

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Actually according to this Ian Boyd article from August 2021, there is a lot of overlap between Sark's Offense at Bama & the Air Raid-based RPO spread offenses that's been run in the Big 12 for the last 12-13 seasons: https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/gameplan-steve-sarkisian-offense-101/

Choosing to cite Ian Boyd as a reference and source, and doing so legitimately as opposed to ironically, is certainly one way approach to reversing the recent pummeling you've received on this board. Post some Geoff Ketchum recruiting scoop for your encore, please.

There-was-an-attempt GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a statement that could have made me laugh harder today than "Actually, according to Ian Boyd." I'm fucking dying laughing over here. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sources: One name emerging for Director of High School Relations position

Mike Roach

"Miller has a long career as a DFW area head coach and comes to Texas as the current President-Elect of the Texas High School Coaches Association."

"We believe that Miller is the top target for the Longhorns but don't yet know if he is ready to accept."

Spoiler

Mike Roach

The Longhorns are reportedly closing in on a target to take the Director of High School Relations position vacated by Chris Gilbert.

Sources tell Horns247 that Frisco Emerson head coach Kendall Miller is starting to generate a lot of buzz for the position. In the past week, Horns247 learned that Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and Texas assistant Jeff Banks have spoken with several high school coaches in the state to gauge their interest in the position.

Miller has a long career as a DFW area head coach and comes to Texas as the current President-Elect of the Texas High School Coaches Association.

Miller graduated from Skyline and played baseball at Tarleton State University where he earned a degree in mathematics. Miller served for 10 years as an assistant in Arlington ISD before he took his first head coaching job at South Oak Cliff after Chris Gilbert left the Golden Bears for the head coaching role at Lancaster.

After three seasons at SOC, Miller took the job at Garland Lakeview Centennial High school where he helped lead the Patriots back to the playoffs after a 30-year drought. Miller took the job at Frisco Emerson upon the school’s opening and led the Mavericks to a 9-2 record in his first year.

Miller served in several different positions within the Texas High School Coaches Association and was a regional director before being named President-Elect. He was set to begin his term in late July, and we are told by one source that his status as President-Elect could throw a wrench in the process. Miller is the first-ever African American to be elected President of the THSCA, and he wants to fulfill that role. Taking the Texas job would mean Miller would need to resign his post as President-Elect.

We've also heard the staff has had conversations with a few other well-known coaches in the Dallas area and one in the Houston area we don't yet have a name for. We believe that Miller is the top target for the Longhorns but don't yet know if he is ready to accept.

• Hook 'Em 2

I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see Riley Dodge hired to fill that special assistant to the HC spot just as an FYI based on some things I've heard the past few days. Obviously that seems more a gig fit for a Patterson-type with past head coaching and coordinator experience but I've heard specifically from two different people in the football program that the job they are considering Riley Dodge for is likely NOT the Highschool relations gig. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

"Miller has a long career as a DFW area head coach and comes to Texas as the current President-Elect of the Texas High School Coaches Association."

"We believe that Miller is the top target for the Longhorns but don't yet know if he is ready to accept."

Hide contents

The big takeaway: "Miller graduated from Skyline and played baseball at Tarleton State University where he earned a degree in mathematics." 

Should help with the numbers.

Why would he fuck over the Texas High School Coaches, who had just elected them as their leader, for a position that is demonstrably a step below UNT position coach and where he would be expected to leverage his relationships with the very same coaches we're asking him to burn?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Why would he fuck over the Texas High School Coaches, who had just elected them as their leader, for a position that is demonstrably a step below UNT position coach and where he would be expected to leverage his relationships with the very same coaches we're asking him to burn?

He wouldn’t be burning any bridges the thsca and hs coaches love seeing one of their own promoted. You are the president elect for a year before you take over which wouldn’t be until next July. The current president would most likely stay on for two years which is exactly what King did.

• Hook 'Em 4

So does anyone know why the hire would be Justin Johnson? Seems very random. Baylor RB coach with only 1 year of WR coaching experience (at Kansas)? I don't get it.

Kelly, Wiggins, Colbert would be my top choices.

Edited by Tex-19

33 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So does anyone know why the hire would be Justin Johnson? Seems very random. Baylor RB coach with only 1 year of WR coaching experience (at Kansas)? I don't get it.

Kelly, Wiggins, Colbert would be my top choices.

Apparently Saban is looking to potentially process Wiggins if that tells you anything 

• Like 1

Ian Boyd is probably cooking up a piece suggesting Kilff move to coaching defense.
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I had heard Wiggins recruiting at Bama was terrible. If you can’t recruit to Bama, where could you? Also Bama receivers this year were a huge problem. They sucked.  

He’s definitely not anything special on the trail. I guess he offers somewhat of a floor being at Bama for a while or whatever. Don’t think Saban puts up with you for 4 years if you are a total loser (although I think he was upset Sark took Flood and Banks from him so he didn’t want to have to replace almost the whole offensive staff).

We can do better. Hell, I could argue the dude from Baylor offers a higher ‘ceiling’ than Wiggins.

Edited by Hookem2147