2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

Are we not considering Mickey Joseph because of the stuff that happen in Lincoln??? 

If we want to talk about WR recruiting, WR play and controlling the room. Mickey Joseph would be a solid hire 

he’s sent WR to the league from Grambling all the the way to LSU and we all know what he did there. 

Also he’ll give us along with Terry Joseph a recruiting advantage in Louisiana 

Edited by D3zii

17 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Are we not considering Mickey Joseph because of the stuff that happen in Lincoln??? 

If we want to talk about WR recruiting, WR play and controlling the room. Mickey Joseph would be a solid hire 

he’s sent WR to the league from Grambling all the the way to LSU and we all know what he did there. 

Yes? Are you aware at all of what just happened with our basketball team?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's Orangebloods so this is probably wrong, but Anwar Richardson said it is not Justin Johnson we have talked to on the Baylor staff, it is the WR coach.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/dallas-baker/1838

Good lord - 9.95'ers all over the fucking place.  

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While I'm comfortable calling him a 995er, lets not pretend in any way, shape, or form that Anwar Richardson or his space slug of a boss are insiders, know anything, and serve any other function save being wrong and fucking things up for Texas. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Fucking love it.  They know NOTHING.  Evidenced by the whiplash of "Kendall Miller is the front runner of the HS relations job" followed immediately be "he's not taking the job" 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't have strong opinions on the WR coaching search, but I do feel like Samples would be great at tampering in the portal. Seems like a plus.

At this point fuck that, we need a WR Coach who can make us better. Texas will recruit itself with Highschool and portal guys, but what will happen when they get here???? 

give me a coach who will help our WR fight for the ball, or be able to adjust to bad throws and help out his QB. Hell give me a coach who will help our WR be more consistent

Tell me what 5* WR OKST has?? Yet they’re always going up on our DB’s, fighting for balls and making plays after the catch. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I had heard Wiggins recruiting at Bama was terrible. If you can’t recruit to Bama, where could you? Also Bama receivers this year were a huge problem. They sucked.  

In two years with sark, the guy produced a Heisman and 4 first round picks. Then another 1st rounder and Metchie the year after. His WR room had one down year, I'll still take my chances on him. NIL can do the recruiting for him.

My only concern is the mass exodus of Bama WRs this past month. Maybe they were processed but sorta seems like he lost the room..

46 minutes ago, Nope said:

Didn’t he just accept another job?

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes - but Choice had just accepted the USC job before Texas hired him away.

I'm still surprised we haven't had any mention of Chris Gilbert as the WR coach.

If he can coach WR's, let's throw our weight (and money) around and snatch him back from North Texas.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Nuge said:

Where is his home?  Ft Worth or Austin?  I was under the impression that he moved to Austin so I'm confused how time away from home is such a factor.

i took it as his wife wants him home more often or he wants to work less - after literally coaching every year since 1986 i think that is reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:53 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

New posting on the UT Athletics website:

https://utaustin.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UTstaff/job/UT-MAIN-CAMPUS/Special-Assistant-to-the-Head-Coach_R_00017767

Is this Gary's position - or a new one?

Intriguing. Iirc they didn't post this last year until they had an agreement with Gary.

I can only assume this means Sean McVay is joining the staff. And/or Kliff.

More seriously, sounds like maybe Riley Dodge. Or maybe he circled back to Cutcliffe with Arch on board?

13 hours ago, D3zii said:

he's toast.

On November 30, 2022, Joseph was arrested by the Lincoln Police Department on suspicion of domestic assault and strangulation.[22] Joseph is accused of having pushed his wife, pulled her hair, grab her by the throat and then striking her in the face.[22] Police confirmed that Joseph's wife had trauma marks on her face.[22] He was charged with one felony count of assault by strangulation.[22]

more text on it below from an article, but he is literally toast. it's worse than Beard and there is a witness.

According to Lincoln Police, officers were called around 2 p.m. to the area of South 34th and Tree Line Drive on a domestic disturbance. The Lincoln Police Department’s call log on Wednesday evening showed officers were called to the area on a report someone had “pushed, choked, punched” a victim and “pulled the victim’s hair”.

According to court documents released on Thursday, officers contacted the victim at the home, who said Joseph had been “verbal and physical” with them before leaving the home.

10/11 NOW is omitting specific identifying information from the affidavit of the victim of the alleged domestic assault.

The victim told responding officers the two were arguing when Joseph allegedly pushed them, forcing them to fall on a couch, and then “placed his hands around (their) throat,” according to the probable cause affidavit.

The victim said they were able to push Joseph off and began walking away when Joseph “grabbed (their) hair from behind and pulled (them) backward, causing (them) to fall to the ground,” the documents state. The victim then said Joseph punched them with a closed fist.

The affidavit states officers observed “visible redness and swelling around (their) left eye which was consistent with being struck.”

There was another individual in the home at the time, a relative of the victim, who told police they saw Joseph grab the victim by the throat and try to flush a cell phone down the toilet.

That phone was found by police in a container of rice, according to the affidavit.

Joseph was contacted by police along the 7500 block of San Mateo Lane in Lincoln and was taken into custody.

He denied striking the victim or grabbing their hair.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, D3zii said:

At this point fuck that, we need a WR Coach who can make us better. Texas will recruit itself with Highschool and portal guys, but what will happen when they get here???? 

give me a coach who will help our WR fight for the ball, or be able to adjust to bad throws and help out his QB. Hell give me a coach who will help our WR be more consistent

Tell me what 5* WR OKST has?? Yet they’re always going up on our DB’s, fighting for balls and making plays after the catch. 

Texas tried this with Andre Coleman...how well did it work?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

Texas tried this with Andre Coleman...how well did it work?

Maybe Coleman isn’t that guy then and we need to do better at finding the one that is. 
Idk what they were thinking getting a WR Coach from KState of all places anyway 

It’s been shown their are coaches out there who can do both Simmons, Hartline, Wiggins, Joseph to name a few.  

Let’s not act like it’s impossible so the only logical thing to do is get a Recruiter and pray the WR ends up good 

Edited by D3zii

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's Orangebloods so this is probably wrong, but Anwar Richardson said it is not Justin Johnson we have talked to on the Baylor staff, it is the WR coach.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/dallas-baker/1838

So, Leipold's WR coach at Buffalo that was not asked to follow him to Kansas? Yeah....no thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You sonsofbitches are useless.

Roachie:

"I talked to a few sources today about some targets for the wide receiver position, and one name that keeps coming up is Ra'Shaad Samples.

Samples is obviously well known in UT circles considering his stint as the assistant wide receivers coach in Austin who developed into the recruiter that got him to where he is today. From what I could gather, nobody I spoke with felt that contact has been made between both sides. That said, there seems to be a repeating sentiment that Samples is a name being considered from people both inside and outside of the athletic department at Texas. In fact, I've heard several people inside the building, including some players, have voiced their support for Samples.

While it's easy to see Samples as a fast-rising recruiter, his road to this point has been going for quite a while. After a decorated prep career, Samples went to Oklahoma State before transferring to Houston. His career ended due to injury, but he found his way on to the coaching staff as an offensive assistant. He worked with running backs and receivers during that time and also played a role with quarterbacks under then offensive coordinator Brian Johnson who is currently the quarterback coach with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Samples moved to Texas with Tom Herman and served in an assistant role helping Drew Mehringer with the wide receivers. It was there he established himself as a plus recruiter. He got his first shot as an on-field staffer at SMU serving under Sonny Dykes. He worked his way up to Assistant Head Coach and moved with Dykes to TCU before jumping at an opportunity with the Los Angeles Rams. Samples made his return to the college coaching world at the end of 2022 joining Kenny Dillingham at Arizona State.

Samples is obviously one of the top coaches out there from a recruiting perspective, and I believe he's gettable but it would probably take a pretty significant offer both on the money side and with his title. It's an offer I feel Texas could make, but the Longhorns want to find a guy who will provide some stability and be able to handle the egos in the wide receiver room. Samples checks a lot of boxes, including NFL experience, a proven track record as a recruiter, and ties in the state of Texas with a specialty in Dallas."

• Hook 'Em 3

How about we hire a actual WR’s coach who can develop receivers instead of a recruiter or RB’s coach….  Right now development of receivers is and has been a issue obviously.  You want Samples to recruit pay him and make him co RB coach or assistant head coach, whatever.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Coaching limits

The Council voted to eliminate the voluntary coach designation across Division I, instead including those coaches within a new limit for countable coaches in each of the applicable sports.

By adopting the proposal, the number of countable coaches in baseball, softball and ice hockey increased to four total in each sport. The Council rejected an additional increase to five countable coaches in those sports.

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus. The rules change codified a waiver in those sports that allowed noncoaching staff members to engage in skill instruction. In both Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football, the Council redefined graduate assistant positions to graduate student coaches and limited individuals to serving three years maximum in that role.

Men's and women's basketball opted not to impose the current seven-year window for manager positions to increase the opportunity for former student-athletes — who often compete professionally overseas immediately after college — to return to campus in pursuit of degree completion and to professionally develop as potential future coaches. In women's basketball specifically, the professional development of the manager position is considered an opportunity to increase the gender and racial diversity of the coaching ranks long-term, which is a specific objective of the sport's strategic plan.

The coaching limits rules take effect July 1.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/1/11/media-center-division-i-council-modernizes-rules-for-coaching-limits.aspx

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Official:

Jones and Johnson both off the board.

Just goes to show you no one has any idea which way Sark will go and I love it

Cant wait for Sark to higher Manny Diaz as our WR coach

Kanye West Laughing GIF

Edited by D3zii

NCAA delays vote that would expand football coaching staffs

Wednesday was supposed to be the day that the NCAA formally expanded football coaching staffs, allowing "any institutional staff member" to perform coaching duties on practice days.

ZACH BARNETT       5 HOURS AGO

Today was supposed to be the day that the NCAA formally expanded football coaching staffs, allowing "any institutional staff member" to perform coaching duties on practice days.

Instead that day has been delayed to... anyone's guess.

At the NCAA convention in San Antonio on Wednesday, the Division I Council opted not to vote on the proposal, sending it back to the Football Oversight Committee for further evaluation.

The proposal was put forth in April, in response to the Supreme Court's 9-0 ruling against the NCAA in 2021. 

A summary of a videoconference from the Football Oversight Committee back in September reported a hesitance from some FOC members that removing the countable coach limit would stunt the growth of younger coaches:

The NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee (FOC) indicated a preference to maintain the current coaching limits. The FOC noted that removing designated graduate assistant coaching positions in favor of countable coaching positions could decrease access to developmental opportunities for those new to the coaching field. The FOC is interested in exploring changes to the permissible duties of noncoaching staff members and countable coaches. The FOC noted the importance of maintaining distinct fall and spring recruiting to mitigate the impact of coaching staff turnover. The FOC agreed to continue discussing the personnel and recruiting concepts at future meetings. 

A fear of unintended consequences could've been what delayed the scheduled vote today.

Of course, the entire reason for the vote was because the Football Oversight Committee wanted to make legal what was already happening on many practice fields across FBS. 

They kicked the damn can down the road.  What a bunch of worthless pussies... 

• Rage+1 3