2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

11 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

This is why I really want to hire Tee Martin or Wiggins from Alabama. I know people on the board are worried about recruiting or other stuff with those two but im  not worried about recruiting at Texas. 

Agree.  Get more WRs from Texas drafted into the NFL, and recruiting will not be difficult if the Horns also have great QB and Oline play.

The WR room definitely needs more competition and leadership. Glad Cook and DeAndre are both EEs.  Hopefully Texas adds at least one more experienced transfer WR for the 2023 season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This is probably not a popular opinion, but if managing the room is truly something Marion struggled with and is a priority for the next coach, then that makes me question Samples even more. He couldn't manage his RB room with the Rams, has never coached receivers and part of what makes him a great recruiter is he is young and relatable and well liked by high school dudes. But there is nothing yet in his career to suggest he can get in someone's ass when they need it and bring the best out of them. He seems like a players coach, which is a fine, but we don't need a coach to come in to be Xavier Worthy's buddy and hype him up on Instagram.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Just catching up on the thread, and I don't give as much of a shit about the WR coach as I do Patterson potentially leaving. 

Going full PK on our defense again will be traumatic and disastrous.  If the smoke about the Patterson/PK dynamic is true (which I choose to believe) then we're proper fucked on defense next year without somebody in PK's ear saying "Hey dumbfuck!  Make sure someone is covering their WRs within 15 fucking yards or they're just going to easily march up and down the field on us while you rub your nipples!" 

My liver can't handle any more of that shit.

Patterson was at the basketball game last night. I don’t know why it surprised me but it did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I look forward to how Worthy handles all of this forthcoming tough love! 

Me too. And it’s also interesting that I find myself not that concerned about how he deals with it. However, if he comes back and plays to his purported potential, I’ll be back in his fan club.

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know if anyone here has a TFB sub - but this was posted on another site:

I’d take Wiggins. I think he’ll recruit well carrying around Smith’s Heisman. I don’t know about WRs. It seems like they’ll either take coaching or be shithead divas. Bear Bryant, sans Junction, couldn’t overcome some of these personalities. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d take Wiggins. I think he’ll recruit well carrying around Smith’s Heisman. I don’t know about WRs. It seems like they’ll either take coaching or be shithead divas. Bear Bryant, sans Junction, couldn’t overcome some of these personalities. 

They need to get Mrs. Wiggins on board.

126B9AD3-FD16-40CF-B6EB-2D41DA2B6708.thumb.jpeg.5e191719b1040742affd4d5e02abad7d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Darth Tron said:

Just catching up on the thread, and I don't give as much of a shit about the WR coach as I do Patterson potentially leaving. 

Going full PK on our defense again will be traumatic and disastrous.  If the smoke about the Patterson/PK dynamic is true (which I choose to believe) then we're proper fucked on defense next year without somebody in PK's ear saying "Hey dumbfuck!  Make sure someone is covering their WRs within 15 fucking yards or they're just going to easily march up and down the field on us while you rub your nipples!" 

My liver can't handle any more of that shit.

you are a massive whiney bitch

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin (IT) says Wiggins is weighing his options and that he wants a chance to be an OC.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also added that he doesn’t think it will be Samples.

Well Sark got Marion to an OC gig in a year. Does Wiggins think he is looking at one this off-season or does he think he has a chance for BOB spot as OC at Bama once he gets pushed out?

Just now, ATexanAbroad said:

tell me you cant even troll without looking at my absurd post history. carry on fagget

Who’s trolling, dipshit?  I said a pretty normal, surlyish thing about PK, and you came out of left field with some BS.  I’m not looking up your “absurd” posting history, as I am completely uninterested.  If busting in with random insults is your schtick, then by all means you do you, but don’t be surprised if others don’t take kindly to it.

2 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Who’s trolling, dipshit?  I said a pretty normal, surlyish thing about PK, and you came out of left field with some BS.  I’m not looking up your “absurd” posting history, as I am completely uninterested.  If busting in with random insults is your schtick, then by all means you do you, but don’t be surprised if others don’t take kindly to it.

uh, you calling me Pks wife you moron. You post some pathetically stupid shit, then call me PKs wife, then cant connect the dots.

2 hours ago, Darth Tron said:

I guess I'm just referring to the other posts indicating that Patterson's fingerprints were on our more successful defensive outings.  My example was hyperbole, but supposedly something like that conversation (minus the nipple rubbing) occurred during planning and practicing.

Does that tell us that Patterson mailed it in on the other weeks? That Kwiatkowski ignored him on those weeks? That some like to associate failure with a coach about whom they have a low opinion and that anything that contradicts that opinion must be because of some external factor?

I’m not saying that Patterson doesn’t have valuable input but it seems exceedingly unlikely that “good defense == Patterson” and “weak defense == Kwiatkowski” is actually the case. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

seems exceedingly unlikely that “good defense == Patterson” and “weak defense == Kwiatkowski” is actually the case. 

That was ALWAYS going to be the case all season. And it played out exactly as we all knew it would. 

49 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin (IT) says Wiggins is weighing his options and that he wants a chance to be an OC.

What's the current confidence in IT on coaching search stuff? I prefer them to the other sites, but since Sark was hired, I don't feel like they're really ahead of the bunch with assistant hires. I mean, I wouldn't tell Eric Nahlin anything if I was making deals.

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Does that tell us that Patterson mailed it in on the other weeks? That Kwiatkowski ignored him on those weeks? That some like to associate failure with a coach about whom they have a low opinion and that anything that contradicts that opinion must be because of some external factor?

I’m not saying that Patterson doesn’t have valuable input but it seems exceedingly unlikely that “good defense == Patterson” and “weak defense == Kwiatkowski” is actually the case. 

I’ll buy that to an extent.  Just going on what we saw in 2021 vs 2022, combined with the chatter from other posters who seem more plugged in, it seems like GP had a mitigating effect on some of PK’s more passive tendencies.  

The concern is that without GP around, maybe PK reverts to his preferred passive scheme without a bug in his ear about it and our defense looks like 2021 all over again.  

The hope is that you’re right and Patterson had little effect on the 2022 turnaround.  

Just now, Darth Tron said:

I’ll buy that to an extent.  Just going on what we saw in 2021 vs 2022, combined with the chatter from other posters who seem more plugged in, it seems like GP had a mitigating effect on some of PK’s more passive tendencies.  

The concern is that without GP around, maybe PK reverts to his preferred passive scheme without a bug in his ear about it and our defense looks like 2021 all over again.  

The hope is that you’re right and Patterson had little effect on the 2022 turnaround.  

I didn’t say he had little. He had some. I wasn’t there to know how much. If someone was, it would be cool to know. 

I mean, the improvement couldn’t possibly be because of more time in the system and the improvement of some players, in addition to Patterson’s input and that the defense could still improve without him. 

1 minute ago, Darth Tron said:

Are we ruling that out?

You see the curly punctuation mark at the end of the sentence? Look, there’s another one. 

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn’t say he had little. He had some. I wasn’t there to know how much. If someone was, it would be cool to know. 

I mean, the improvement couldn’t possibly be because of more time in the system and the improvement of some players, in addition to Patterson’s input and that the defense could still improve without him. 

That’s all on the table, for sure.  

Still, the 9th or 10th time I see our CB line up 15 yards away from the guy he’s “covering” on 3rd and 4 for an easy conversion, I’m going to lose my shit.

Edited by Darth Tron

8 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

That’s all on the table, for sure.  

Still, the 9th or 10th time I see our CB line up 15 yards away from the guy he’s “covering” on 3rd and 6 for an easy conversion, I’m going to lose my shit.

Let’s go with that, then: why? 

Kwiatkowski just said “fuck it?” Patterson only kept on him not to do it in some games? Sarkisian doesn’t care if the defense makes stops? The defense didn’t have the depth or ability constantly to play as you’d wish?

To be clear: I’m not claiming the defense didn’t have issues. Tech ran a hundred fucking plays. I just question that the answer is “Patterson good, Kwiatkowski bad.” If that is the answer, it would be cool if there were something more than speculation, because that’s a staff heading Mach one toward the unemployment line and taking the program with them. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Let’s go with that, then: why? 

Kwiatkowski just said “fuck it?” Patterson only kept on him not to do it in some games? Sarkisian doesn’t care if the defense makes stops? The defense didn’t have the depth or ability constantly to play as you’d wish?

Lord knows why, that’s what’s infuriating to watch.  Listen, I don’t pretend to be the one bearing privileged information here.  Some other poster mentioned that there was friction between GP and PK regarding the degree to which our defense should play press man vs softer coverages, among other things, and it jibed with the eye test this year.  

On big games, games where GP would theoretically be given time to prep and game plan for the big stage, such as Bama, OU, TCU, and maybe another that I’m forgetting, our defense looked like a different animal.  Our corners were up in the other team’s shit, players were flying around making tackles like they knew what was coming, and in general the defense played more dialed in.

On games that maybe we didn’t have circled on the calendar, games that GP was theoretically not as involved in while he prepped for the big ones, our defense looked like PK’s ‘21 unit.  Soft coverage, general cluelessness, and giving up big play after big play in crucial moments.

Not saying it’s the gospel truth, and it’s entirely possible that PK is the one responsible, but I’m going to need to see him do it without the defensive guru hire backing him up before I lean toward 2022 being more indicative of PK than 2021.

4 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Lord knows why, that’s what’s infuriating to watch.  Listen, I don’t pretend to be the one bearing privileged information here.  Some other poster mentioned that there was friction between GP and PK regarding the degree to which our defense should play press man vs softer coverages, among other things, and it jibed with the eye test this year.  

On big games, games where GP would theoretically be given time to prep and game plan for the big stage, such as Bama, OU, TCU, and maybe another that I’m forgetting, our defense looked like a different animal.  Our corners were up in the other team’s shit, players were flying around making tackles like they knew what was coming, and in general the defense played more dialed in.

On games that maybe we didn’t have circled on the calendar, games that GP was theoretically not as involved in while he prepped for the big ones, our defense looked like PK’s ‘21 unit.  Soft coverage, general cluelessness, and giving up big play after big play in crucial moments.

Not saying it’s the gospel truth, and it’s entirely possible that PK is the one responsible, but I’m going to need to see him do it without the defensive guru hire backing him up before I lean toward 2022 being more indicative of PK than 2021.

Or... they just carried over some of that Tom Herman Texas Football habit of playing up or down to competition. 

Honestly, everyone does it sometimes in college - UGA made Kent State and Mizzou look like pretty solid outfits because they sleepwalked through those games.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Some other poster mentioned that there was friction between GP and PK regarding the degree to which our defense should play press man vs softer coverages

This was never said.

It was pointed out that Patterson had a certain way he liked to see things done in practice and operated differently than PK from an intensity standpoint, which makes sense considering they are two different human beings. 

And please find one play, just one, where a DB was playing 15 yards off a receiver like you said happened multiple times a game.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Or... they just carried over some of that Tom Herman Texas Football habit of playing up or down to competition. 

Honestly, everyone does it sometimes in college - UGA made Kent State and Mizzou look like pretty solid outfits because they sleepwalked through those games.

Good point.  Although, does that make us Kent State and Mizzou in this scenario?

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bobby Bowden once said something like “they’re gonna play great twice a year, terrible twice a year, and about how they should in the other games.  Dadgummit, it’s my job to make sure the great games and terrible games happen during the right games.”

• Hook 'Em 2