2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Bobby Bowden once said something like “they’re gonna play great twice a year, terrible twice a year, and about how they should in the other games.  Dadgummit, it’s my job to make sure the great games and terrible games happen during the right games.”

Well, if I’m going to put on the burnt orange glasses, the two terrible ones were lost with a 14-0 penalty differential and an offense willing to risk a blowout with pursuing a lot of 4th downs. So, maybe the right games, just a little overdone.

I guess the great ones would be 49-0 and losing to Alabama on some very questionable no-calls and Ewers going out after 10 points in 2 possessions. 

Then there’s the TCU debacle, but still…

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This was never said.

It was pointed out that Patterson had a certain way he liked to see things done in practice and operated differently than PK from an intensity standpoint, which makes sense considering they are two different human beings. 

And please find one play, just one, where a DB was playing 15 yards off a receiver like you said happened multiple times a game.

This is the post I was referring to.  Seems legit.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, FreeHorn said:

GP’s main issue this year was he thought the scheme would get to soft at times. He too wanted to see more press looks and coverages versus some of the games where we let them have free five yard hitches and outs all game long.

And I’m not hunting for screenshots.  If it wasn’t 15, it was at least 10 and the gist of what I said holds.  PK prefers to play too soft and it burned us this year and last.

23 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Bobby Bowden once said something like “they’re gonna play great twice a year, terrible twice a year, and about how they should in the other games.  Dadgummit, it’s my job to make sure the great games and terrible games happen during the right games.”

That is a very good quote

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This was never said.

It was pointed out that Patterson had a certain way he liked to see things done in practice and operated differently than PK from an intensity standpoint, which makes sense considering they are two different human beings. 

And please find one play, just one, where a DB was playing 15 yards off a receiver like you said happened multiple times a game.

No shit, that was fucking retarded game of telephone shit. Impressive in its stupidity, considering Kwiatkowski and Patterson are good friends. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He also had Ruggs.  Combustible room there.

Exactly!! Lol and we see what happen when he got away from Bama. I’m sure Nick has something to do with that but I’m sure he wouldn’t have Wiggins in that position if he couldn’t 

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This was never said.

We were definitely much better about the DB alignment this year than the year before. 

Hopefully we don't revert

The soft passive coverage definitely screwed us vs Tech.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No shit, that was fucking retarded game of telephone shit. Impressive in its stupidity, considering Kwiatkowski and Patterson are good friends. 

Don't forget we just didn't have the god damn personnel in year 1.  We just didn't.  That was a problem pre-Patterson, unless you really think any defensive coordinator could field a good defense with Bush, Brockemeyer, Schooler and Foster.  PK even said so during this past offseason that they didn't have the personnel in 2021. 

We've upgraded the defensive talent considerably, and it took a while for the light to come in and the coaching to take for some guys like Ford. 

Oh and we had that issue where our QB and OL play absolutely folded in the 2nd half of games in 2021, forcing our already bad/undertalented defense to be on the field even more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sark get Wiggins in principle the first time around only for compliance to say no? 

I don't believe so.  Sark wanted Wiggins on his initial staff but Saban wasn't going to allow his entire offensive staff to be off to Texas in one off-season so Wiggins was given the Assistant Head Coach title and a pay raise.

At least that's how I remember it now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sark get Wiggins in principle the first time around only for compliance to say no? 

I don't remember that at all. I remember Sark gushing about retaining Andre Coleman, saying he'd wanted to work with him for years. The only compliance casualty I remember was Corey Raymond and that fucking player personnel guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I don't remember that at all. I remember Sark gushing about retaining Andre Coleman, saying he'd wanted to work with him for years. The only compliance casualty I remember was Corey Raymond and that fucking player personnel guy. 

Maybe details on a Coleman tangent, but didn’t Sark say this about Coleman AFTER Wiggins was retained by Alabama and Simmons stayed at OU?

And fuck all, Raymond would have been excellent.

IT on the WR search

Wide receiver coach

Our info guides us to the belief Alabama wide receiver coach Holman Wiggins is Steve Sarkisian’s main target for the same position at Texas. We’ve mainly arrived to that opinion by process of elimination. Wiggins was originally a top candidate to join Sark’s inaugural staff before Nick Saban made a push to keep Wiggins in Tuscaloosa.

We don’t believe it will be Arizona State’s Ra’Shaad Samples or South Carolina’s Justin Stepp, though both have interest. Baylor’s Justin Johnson reunited with Joey McGuire and elected to go to Texas Tech earlier in the week. 

We hear Wiggins does at least have some interest in Texas, however his sights are set on breaking into the OC ranks. Word is he even turned down UNLV before Barry Odom offered the job to Brennan Marion. If true, that’s another reminder of how carousel dominoes can come out of nowhere to affect a school. 

It’s entirely possible there are other candidates unknown to everyone but Sark and his tight circle. So, we’re also on the lookout for someone out of left field. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton added that the plan is for the WR hire to be complete by Wednesday of next week ahead of the junior day.

Give Wiggins the passing game coordinator title like they did Marion last year. That would seem to be a worthy move. Either way, it doesn't sound like he will be back at Bama. 

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT on the WR search

Wide receiver coach

Our info guides us to the belief Alabama wide receiver coach Holman Wiggins is Steve Sarkisian’s main target for the same position at Texas. We’ve mainly arrived to that opinion by process of elimination.

I would like this hire, but for process of elimination to work, you have to know all the candidates.

Just now, trythisathome said:

What's Wiggins' reputation as a recruiter overall? He certainly has some nice names on his 247 page but I'm curious how much of the leg work he was actually doing in those recruitments vs just having his name attached.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Holmon-Wiggins-1468/AllTimeRecruits/

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If you actually read his question, you'd realize that response is almost impressively useless.

eat shit pussy

image.png.5f4e370294fd8f1aa0aefe05857e2e7e.png

He could just read the key to get a baseline which isn't always accurate but can give you more detail than you'd normally have.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Fuck You 12

7 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Looks like Saban is losing his DC, Pete Golding, to Ole Miss.  Will be interesting to see if he allows Wiggins to leave.

Based on how Bama fans are thrilled ...  

"Losing"

Austin Powers Movie GIF

And unlikely to lose a coordinator to a lateral move to Ole Miss, unless Bama was okay with his leaving.

Seems like the defense did much better this year, although they gave up 30 plus in each of their losses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Looks like Saban is losing his DC, Pete Golding, to Ole Miss.  Will be interesting to see if he allows Wiggins to leave.

Allow? Saban is pushing guys out the door and that probably includes Wiggins too. 9.95ers have said a lot of the Wiggins to Texas talk is actually coming from the Bama side.

33 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Saban has been irritated with Golding for 2 or 3 seasons now. Saban activated the trap door he has in front of his desk during their season ending review.