2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby (IT) just put out an article about the WR coach candidates.  He says these are the 4 candidates Inside Texas is aware of:

Adam Henry WR coach & co-OC at Indiana.  Long-time NFL assistant, spent time with the Dallas Cowboys. WR coach & co-OC at LSU during Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry days.

Joel Filani WR coach at WSU, previously at Tech.  He is a former Texas Tech star. Filani was in Austin earlier this week, according to a source.

Chris Jackson WR coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Played juco ball for Orange Coast Community College at the same time Sark was playing QB for neighboring El Camino CC. Jackson played for Washington State, five years in the NFL, and then 11 more in the Arena League (with one season stop in the CFL).  Least experienced coach of this bunch with only a few years coaching experience.

Dallas Baker Baylor WR coach. Baker played his college ball at Florida and is from New Smyrna Beach. He played three years in the NFL and had previous stops as receivers coach at Marshall and Buffalo.

Bobby said the two biggest things Sark is looking for is someone who can 'be a technician' - wants a more polished WR room.  But also needs to be able to handle the attitudes and egos of a very diverse WR room.  NIL has made this doubly important.

Bobby said Keary Colbert and Holmon Wiggins had previously been considered.

*Just Wikipedia scouting - Adam Henry appears to have the best resume overall.   He's also the oldest and recruiting might be a question mark.   Chris Jackson is intriguing - long time professional player who made several Arena League All-Pro teams but is incredibly light on actual coaching experience - and recruiting is a complete unknown.  Is he going to want to put in the time required to be a recruiter? 

Adam Henry has a nice resume. That's a very interesting one. From Beaumont originally.

Bummer that Colbert and Wiggins are out. Probably my top two choices.

Still strange that Kelly hasn't even been mentioned.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Adam Henry has a nice resume. That's a very interesting one. From Beaumont originally.

Bummer that Colbert and Wiggins are out. Probably my top two choices.

Still strange that Kelly hasn't even been mentioned.

I love that he’s from Beaumont 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Vito thinks, “I’d really like the LSU guy who coached Justin Jefferson, Ja’Marr Chase, etc…”

Looks it up…

”Oh fuck.”

Your thinking of Mickey Joseph who would be #1 on my board of candidates 

(unfortunately he’s in some trouble)

• Fuck You 3

20 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

C02D68A9-B688-419F-8229-370D920C4254.thumb.jpeg.d403a38b05bc0c06523dbb35b6ec003f.jpeg

Mama fan fiction alternate ending:

Golding: "Lane's calling me."

Saban: "Yeah, I know. I just gave him permission."

Golding: "Oh, that was very classy of him to call you and ask for permission."

Saban: "No, I called him."

Golding (pensive pause): "Oh, ok."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

WR coach update

According to sources inside the program, head football coach Steve Sarkisian appears ready to hire Jacksonville Jaguars receivers coach Chris Jackson, a coach Inside Texas first reported as a possibility yesterday, to replace Brennan Marion, for the same position at Texas. Marion departed Austin last week for the role of offensive coordinator at UNLV.

Sarkisian is also said to still be considering Adam Henry, receivers coach at Indiana, Joel Filani, the former Texas Tech receiver now an assistant at Washington State, and Dallas Baker, the current receivers coach at Baylor.

The NFL playoffs could be a fly in the ointment.

Sark originally wanted to get his hire in place prior to the upcoming junior day scheduled for Jan. 21. But Jacksonville beat the Los Angeles Chargers yesterday, which means Jackson will spend at least another week in the NFL playoffs and miss next weekend’s junior day.

Of course, that would be a small price to pay.

Jackson played at Washington State with Ryan Leaf before embarking on a 10-year pro career, including the first five in the NFL. Jackson is from Sark’s native Southern California, playing high school ball at Santa Ana Mater Dei, before moving on to Orange Coast Community College and then on to Washington State.

Before being named the Jaguars receivers coach a year ago, Jackson served two years as the assistant receivers coach of the Chicago Bears.

Sark is said to want a coach who is both a technician and who knows how to manage a wide receiver room with a wide variety of personalities and skill sets.

Just a quick look at his wiki and this seems surprisingly thin: 90EC53A1-71ED-4FDB-986E-572588EBF5B0.thumb.jpeg.3c9513cbb1b6bf8b06ab138292435075.jpeg

Interesting hire with, from what I can tell, zero ties to Texas high school football. 

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

Just a quick look at his wiki and this seems surprisingly thin: 90EC53A1-71ED-4FDB-986E-572588EBF5B0.thumb.jpeg.3c9513cbb1b6bf8b06ab138292435075.jpeg

Interesting hire with, from what I can tell, zero ties to Texas high school football. 

the post just prior to yours pretty much spells out why they think that is not a priority.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

Yep, looks like a Cali (Mater Dei) guy and Ryan Leaf’s former WR1 at Washington St. 

30 minutes ago, cochamps said:

the post just prior to yours pretty much spells out why they think that is not a priority.

…which is all Gerry’s opinion. I believe the traditional thought of grabbing someone with strong Texas ties still has plenty of value. 

Regardless, you feel confident he checks those boxes with that coaching history? 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

WR coach update

According to sources inside the program, head football coach Steve Sarkisian appears ready to hire Jacksonville Jaguars receivers coach Chris Jackson, a coach Inside Texas first reported as a possibility yesterday, to replace Brennan Marion, for the same position at Texas. Marion departed Austin last week for the role of offensive coordinator at UNLV.

Sarkisian is also said to still be considering Adam Henry, receivers coach at Indiana, Joel Filani, the former Texas Tech receiver now an assistant at Washington State, and Dallas Baker, the current receivers coach at Baylor.

The NFL playoffs could be a fly in the ointment.

Sark originally wanted to get his hire in place prior to the upcoming junior day scheduled for Jan. 21. But Jacksonville beat the Los Angeles Chargers yesterday, which means Jackson will spend at least another week in the NFL playoffs and miss next weekend’s junior day.

Of course, that would be a small price to pay.

Jackson played at Washington State with Ryan Leaf before embarking on a 10-year pro career, including the first five in the NFL. Jackson is from Sark’s native Southern California, playing high school ball at Santa Ana Mater Dei, before moving on to Orange Coast Community College and then on to Washington State.

Before being named the Jaguars receivers coach a year ago, Jackson served two years as the assistant receivers coach of the Chicago Bears.

Sark is said to want a coach who is both a technician and who knows how to manage a wide receiver room with a wide variety of personalities and skill sets.

Yes

17 minutes ago, Constant said:

…which is all Gerry’s opinion. I believe the traditional thought of grabbing someone with strong Texas ties still has plenty of value. 

Regardless, you feel confident he checks those boxes with that coaching history? 

Being an NFL position coach?

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LOL, college football is bananas.

Yep. People would be surprised how much better the salaries are at the college level. But most NFL guys would gladly take that pay cut for other perks (no recruiting, an actual offseason where they can golf all day)

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Being an NFL position coach?

Correct. This should trump the ties question posed by our friend, Constant. For all we know, Sarkisian might want help recruiting Cali.

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Jeff Banks was on the Washington State team with Chris Jackson 96-97. So there is a connection to the current staff. 

Interesting. Jeff Banks was a punter, correct? I wonder if Chris Jackson has any fun stories involving Jeff Banks in college. Any crazy parties in Pullman?

20 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Can't Chris Jackson agree to the position, but he finish out the season with the Jags? That way we have a name for junior day. 

I see you're from the Tom Herman school of openly advertising your next gig while still currently employed in your current role.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said it sounds like Jackson is going to get the co-OC title

So it's a promotion of sorts with possibly a pay raise. Why else would he leave the NFL - he's on a rise there?

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I see you're from the Tom Herman school of openly advertising your next gig while still currently employed in your current role.

Sark did it too. I honestly don't really see an issue here considering it's a step from NFL to college. It's not like he can poach recruits from his current school.

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LOL, college football is bananas.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yep. People would be surprised how much better the salaries are at the college level. But most NFL guys would gladly take that pay cut for other perks (no recruiting, an actual offseason where they can golf all day)

Article from mid 2022 on yahoo finance says most assistant NFL coaches make around 400k. 

9 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Can someone please explain what "controlling your position" means? Is that like, "Shut the fuck up Worthy and run 3 extra sprints!" Or, "Ya'll motherfuckers ain't transferring and stop talking about that shit!" Or something more Orwellian?

image.gif.cccb7ddc520b3c16f602f8f76158e011.gif

It's more like. Hey Worthy... stop parking your car in the coaches parking lot while everyone else in your position group walks from the parking garages or takes buses. 

• Hook 'Em 5