2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Jackson seems like a bizarre fucking hire. Basically no track record.

Adam Henry, on the other hand, has a great resume.

I do agree with Gerry that "recruiting skills" are probably a lot less important in the NIL era. I want someone who can coach.

It also seems less of importance when the head coach is an elite recruiter. Mack Brown never had great recruiting WR coaches.

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I do agree with Gerry that "recruiting skills" are probably a lot less important in the NIL era. I want someone who can coach.

Agreed, Henry would be a much better hire than Jackson.

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Jackson would certainly be an indicator hire and tell whether or not Sark can identify coaching talent and if he has a network of people that he can/should trust.  Because that resume is real damn thin.

Although I do appreciate that he grinded out a 'star' career in the Arena League after a few season of bouncing around the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Constant said:

…which is all Gerry’s opinion. I believe the traditional thought of grabbing someone with strong Texas ties still has plenty of value. 

Regardless, you feel confident he checks those boxes with that coaching history? 

He's been pretty good on staff hires, save for the Stoop's debacle.  Besides when has it been such a negative to wait on an NFL guy whose team is still playing?

Edited by cochamps

8 minutes ago, cochamps said:

He's been pretty good on staff hires, save for the Stoop's debacle.  Besides when has it been such a negative to wait on an NFL guy whose team is still playing?

Steve can wait all he would like- certainly his decision. I’d like to see Jacksonville get to the Super Bowl, if thats the case. 

It remains an odd hire. 

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Count me among those who thinks hiring Chris Jackson will be a terrible fucking decision. Mock when we see a rogue band of marauders catching passes and scoring from all over the field next season and we’ve landed 4 more to fill the bucket for future seasons. 

Tell him that at the 1000 dollar rubber chicken thing 

34 minutes ago, cochamps said:

When the guy has one total year of coaching and none in college?

Look, Jackson could end up being the best WR coach ever. He just doesn't have any track record to judge one way or another, which seems like a silly risk if you can get someone who's proven to be good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Crazy, Chris Jackson didn't play football till college... 

Early years

He attended Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California. Jacksonplayed basketball and in track and field as a long jumper and a triple jumper, but did not play football. He played in a state championship basketball game during his time at Mater Dei and ended up losing to a team led by former NBA player Jason Kidd.[

Playing career

Orange Coast College:  Jackson attended Orange Coast College for a year and got his first taste of organized football in 1994.  He averaged 21.1 yards per reception.

WashingtonState:  attended Washington State University in 1996 and 1997 where he was a letterman in football where he was a favorite target of college teammate Ryan Leaf.  As a senior, he made 54 receptions for 1,005 yards and eleven touchdowns, and helped in leading his team to the Rose Bowl.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, Tex-19 said:

Still strange that Malcolm Kelly hasn't even been mentioned.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, texifornia said:

It's almost like one or both sides isn't interested or something

Well Malcolm Kelly did turn down the WR coaching job from his Alma Mater OU last month or so. So it wouldn't be a surprise if he's not interested in the UT WR coaching job either.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Look, Jackson could end up being the best WR coach ever. He just doesn't have any track record to judge one way or another, which seems like a silly risk if you can get someone who's proven to be good.

Kind of shows what Sark thought of Marion. He wants a guy that can teach and deal with egos. No idea how it turns out. Sark has 2 strikes hiring WR coaches, I just hope this isn’t number 3 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Recruiting is and always will be the most important thing in college regardless of NIL. 

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I get what you are saying, but Doug Pederson isn’t hiring dummies.

And I’m assuming you are someone who is out on Samples as well considering he has zero years coaching receivers.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Count me among those who thinks hiring Chris Jackson will be a terrible fucking decision. Mock when we see a rogue band of marauders catching passes and scoring from all over the field next season and we’ve landed 4 more to fill the bucket for future seasons. 

With your sources, any comments on who Sark should hire that will actually take the Texas WR coaching job??

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Kind of shows what Sark thought of Marion. He wants a guy that can teach and deal with egos. No idea how it turns out. Sark has 2 strikes hiring WR coaches, I just hope this isn’t number 3 

Lots of folks thought Marion was a good hire.  Saban has made past mistakes with his coaching assistant hires too... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

On paper, Adam Henry seems like the best of all the finalists that Burton has reported on these last 2 days. I wonder what Sark sees in Chris Jackson that has him leaning that way. Knock out interview?

It was mentioned elsewhere that Henry is already a co-OC and is making 500k. Marion was at 400k I believe at Texas.

I guess we could bump up his salary a little but it would be a lateral move at best title wise.

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

On paper, Adam Henry seems like the best of all the finalists that Burton has reported on these last 2 days. I wonder what Sark sees in Chris Jackson that has him leaning that way. Knock out interview?

Matt Nagy was the head coach when Chicago hired Jackson as a defensive analyst and then as an assistant WR coach - Mike Furrey was the WR coach.  I'm assuming Nagy is the one who recommended Jackson to Pederson (Nagy and Pederson both worked under Andy Reid).   I don't know if any of those three have a relationship with Sark - but I have to believe this interview/hire is based on a recommendation from someone Sark trusts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Matt Nagy was the head coach when Chicago hired Jackson as a defensive analyst and then as an assistant WR coach - Mike Furrey was the WR coach.  I'm assuming Nagy is the one who recommended Jackson to Pederson (Nagy and Pederson both worked under Andy Reid).   I don't know if any of those three have a relationship with Sark - but I have to believe this interview/hire is based on a recommendation from someone Sark trusts. 

Jackson played with Jeff Banks at Washington State, I believe.

Sark has done a good job leveraging Banks connections in the northwest.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I summer in Beaumont.

Funny story  as a kid growing up i lived all over the world  europe, cali, east coast, but every summer we would spend 3 weeks on family land outside of holly beach Louisiana.   Family Had 30 acres of beach front property.  

I absolutely loved it  and looked forward to it every year.  

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of folks thought Marion was a good hire.  Saban has made past mistakes with his coaching assistant hires too... 

I thought it was a solid hire. That doesn’t change the fact that Marion was not very good at Texas. Mistakes are made, I was just pointing out the Coleman and Marion turned out to be poor hires 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

From Beaumont. Back in Beaumont since ‘93. Beaumont will always be home base. Went to school and played basketball with three of Adam Henry’s older brothers. We’d be damn fortunate on many levels to nab him!

I’m currently in Lumberton. Hook em 🤘🏻 

I thought it was a solid hire. That doesn’t change the fact that Marion was not very good at Texas. Mistakes are made, I was just pointing out the Coleman and Marion turned out to be poor hires 

I think there’s a huge gap between “amazing” and “poor” and that’s where Marion falls. We’ve seen first hand what truly “poor” position coach hires look like and Marion is not even close to those.
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Recruiting is and always will be the most important thing in college regardless of NIL. 

I agree with the evaluation part of recruiting.  Relationships will also be important, but NIL does significantly change the business aspect.  

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think there’s a huge gap between “amazing” and “poor” and that’s where Marion falls. We’ve seen first hand what truly “poor” position coach hires look like and Marion is not even close to those.

He was only here a year. I would argue WR was the worst performing position on the team during the season. He wasn’t Coleman, but he still didn’t do a good job. If it makes people happy, he was the tallest midget among Sark’s WR coaches 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I agree with the evaluation part of recruiting.  Relationships will also be important, but NIL does significantly change the business aspect.  

The delineation between recruiting and relationships is no longer existent when you take into account that teams have to continue to recruit their current players in addition to high school/transfer portal recruits. And yes, NIL is a huge part of recruiting and more often, it's becoming the only thing that matters for recruits.

Edited by UDontKnow

FWIW - Nahlin (IT) says that the Jackson hire would be in line with Sark's desire to turn Texas into more of a 'professional program'.  Sark also spent a couple of years in the NFL and has a ton of connections across the league so it could be any number of people recommending Jackson - not necessarily an 'obvious' connection.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin (IT) says that the Jackson hire would be in line with Sark's desire to turn Texas into more of a 'professional program'.  Sark also spent a couple of years in the NFL and has a ton of connections across the league so it could be any number of people recommending Jackson - not necessarily an 'obvious' connection.

I don't have CTJ levels of hate for Nahlin, but I can't stand the guy and his reporting. What exactly is a 'professional program' supposed to mean? Sarkisian wants all his coaches to have NFL experience? That doesn't seem to be the case on for the defensive coaches. Andre Coleman played in the NFL or five seasons and even set Super Bowl records, but how did he turn out as a WR coach? 

Eric Nahlin "publisher of Inside Texas", throwing more shit against the wall and hoping it sticks. If it weren't for Bobby and Gerry, IT would be completely useless.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't have CTJ levels of hate for Nahlin, but I can't stand the guy and his reporting. What exactly is a 'professional program' supposed to mean? Sarkisian wants all his coaches to have NFL experience? That doesn't seem to be the case on for the defensive coaches. Andre Coleman played in the NFL or five seasons and even set Super Bowl records, but how did he turn out as a WR coach? 

Eric Nahlin "publisher of Inside Texas", throwing more shit against the wall and hoping it sticks. If it weren't for Bobby and Gerry, IT would be completely useless.

No clear idea what he means by that. If I were defining it, it would emphasize room and player management and position-specific coaching and integration into the larger system, regardless of (in)ability or (lack of) desire to recruit. Maybe helping to identity prospects. Recruiting would largely be handled highers up, perhaps some of the coaches with the talent for it, NIL, and demonstrable results. The coach in question would just have to be able to avoid alienating his guys. 

“Here’s your raw material. Make them productive.”

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I agree with the jist of your post, but to answer what a "professional program" is, I believe it was when Sark was initially hiring for his staff, it was reported that he wanted to structure it more in the vein of an NFL front office. Bringing on more staff in scouting and player personnel roles.

• Like 1

Wells is good people.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

He was only here a year. I would argue WR was the worst performing position on the team during the season. He wasn’t Coleman, but he still didn’t do a good job. If it makes people happy, he was the tallest midget among Sark’s WR coaches 

QB was shaky also and seemed to regress.

58 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

No clear idea what he means by that. If I were defining it, it would emphasize room and player management and position-specific coaching and integration into the larger system, regardless of (in)ability or (lack of) desire to recruit. Maybe helping to identity prospects. Recruiting would largely be handled highers up, perhaps some of the coaches with the talent for it, NIL, and demonstrable results. The coach in question would just have to be able to avoid alienating his guys. 

“Here’s your raw material. Make them productive.”

Yeah, the player personnel department would be in charge of finding the kids, getting the tape to the coaches and they decide as a group who would get offers. The onus would be less on the position coaches recruiting and more on development once they arrive on campus.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Eric is also a petty, condescending bitch when any subscriber dares to question him…

Edited by ATXhorn17
It’s honestly Luicci-esque at times (minus the unwarranted bans — gotta keep the $9.95 coming in)
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Eric is also a petty, condescending bitch when any subscriber dares to question him…

He takes everything very personally even though he has a site full of rabid fans that would blow him if given the chance.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Wells is good people.

Agree, his only blemish is the Card/Aaron Rodgers comparison....

Wells/Bobby/Gerry are awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

QB was shaky also and seemed to regress.

I am not sure Ewers ever regressed. I tend to think film came out and DC’s found holes in his game. Being inconsistent is consistent with being a freshman QB. That is far different than having your 2nd year WR regressing. Having your 3rd WR be so bad that the HC goes almost exclusively to 2 TE sets in normal offense (right around the ISU game). 

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Sark wants a technician that's a grown ass man to coach the most immature, diva riddled position in the history of football. Why does anyone have a problem with this? 

No idea, a lot of the people on here aren'y happy unless they are bitching about something. Damn near everyone loved the Marion hire including me. I'm glad he's gone, that room regressed under his leadership. Thus far the only hire I didn't like was Coleman. Marion was a splash hire. I think Sark is right, Texas needs a good fundamentals coach, the talent will show up.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Sark wants a technician that's a grown ass man to coach the most immature, diva riddled position in the history of football. Why does anyone have a problem with this? 

I am sure some people will have issue with the hire, it is Surly, but nobody is opposed to the idea of a technician that can control the room 

I think, if the strategy is to get an nfl receiver as coach to tell the room what is expected of wrs and that they should work on those behaviors as a college athlete, that it has merit. They essentially are pro athletes during their college careers now. 

does it have to be this particular former nfl receiver?  Can’t imagine it does. 

• Hook 'Em 1