2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure Ewers ever regressed. I tend to think film came out and DC’s found holes in his game. Being inconsistent is consistent with being a freshman QB. That is far different than having your 2nd year WR regressing. Having your 3rd WR be so bad that the HC goes almost exclusively to 2 TE sets in normal offense (right around the ISU game). 

So going to two tight ends had nothing to do with the inconsistent QB and poor pass protecting OL and having to lean on the running game?  Also Casey Cain who everyone agreed was a JAG being a JAG is Marion’s fault?  I’ll agree that Worthy’s play regressed but how much of that had to do with endless go routes and him focusing on his money before his play?  

8 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Can someone please explain what "controlling your position" means? Is that like, "Shut the fuck up Worthy and run 3 extra sprints!" Or, "Ya'll motherfuckers ain't transferring and stop talking about that shit!" Or something more Orwellian?

image.gif.cccb7ddc520b3c16f602f8f76158e011.gif

LOL if that's the case, maybe Sark should rehire Tom Herman's 1st UT WR coach Drew Mehringer. IIRC that was what he known for.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GTJ1982 said:

So going to two tight ends had nothing to do with the inconsistent QB and poor pass protecting OL and having to lean on the running game?  Also Casey Cain who everyone agreed was a JAG being a JAG is Marion’s fault?  I’ll agree that Worthy’s play regressed but how much of that had to do with endless go routes and him focusing on his money before his play?  

I take it back. Not finding ANYONE to man the 3rd WR spot was not the fault of the coach responsible for WRs. The regression of the #1 WR was not the WRs fault. To be fair nothing the WRs did was the fault or responsibility of the WR coach 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL if that's the case, maybe Sark should rehire Tom Herman's 1st UT WR coach Drew Mehringer. IIRC that was what he known for.

Disagree, he was known for having the most punchable face on the staff and having a hot wife. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Filani would be an awful hire. He has shown nothing whatsoever at Tech or WSU to support the idea he can actually develop or coach the position well. He isn't well liked on a personal level either. He was supposedly a part of why two of the top three wideouts at WSU, both two-year starters (Ollie and Stribling), hit the portal. People around Tech do not speak well of him on a personal level either and anyone you ask will talk about how much better the position played once Emmet Jones replaced him. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Filani would be an awful hire. He has shown nothing whatsoever at Tech or WSU to support the idea he can actually develop or coach the position well. He isn't well liked on a personal level either. He was supposedly a part of why two of the top three wideouts at WSU, both two-year starters (Ollie and Stribling), hit the portal. People around Tech do not speak well of him on a personal level either and anyone you ask will talk about how much better the position played once Emmet Jones replaced him. 

Excellent - lay down some of those receipts.  

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Excellent - lay down some of those receipts.  

Hey I will happily take my roasting if he comes here and does well. Just know that Tech people were constantly bitching about him and happy when he left, so already had some familiarity with the name, and then reached out to a friend who covers a PAC team after he was connected with the Texas gig and the shit I heard reminded me of peak Herman-era levels of idiocy and petty bullshit disguised as being 'tough'. So far Sark has done a quality job filling the various positions though so I guess, begrudgingly, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. 

You can chalk me up in the camp that would celebrate Adam Henry. Jackson as well to a lesser extent. Just think there is immense value in bringing people in already experienced in dealing with young men who suddenly have more money than sense. There is a certain level of ego and laziness that inherently come to many upon their first real pay day and guys who've spent years in the NFL are seasoned at beating that attitude out of people or they don't tend to stay in the NFL coaching circles very long. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:
I don't have CTJ levels of hate for Nahlin, but I can't stand the guy and his reporting. What exactly is a 'professional program' supposed to mean? Sarkisian wants all his coaches to have NFL experience? That doesn't seem to be the case on for the defensive coaches. Andre Coleman played in the NFL or five seasons and even set Super Bowl records, but how did he turn out as a WR coach? 
Eric Nahlin "publisher of Inside Texas", throwing more shit against the wall and hoping it sticks. If it weren't for Bobby and Gerry, IT would be completely useless.

Wells is good people.

The endless use of platitudes from Wells makes listening to him on the podcasts so insufferable. Tony Robins is more sincere than Justin Wells. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always funny reading $9.95 boards where a coach is leaving...  WSU folks seem unhappy with Filani

WSU’s Joel Filani interviews for Texas WRs job

ByCOUGFANCOM        9 hours ago

WASHINGTON STATE WIDE RECEIVERS coach Joel Filani interviewed this week for Texas’ open WRs job under Steve Sarkisian, according to a report from Orangebloods (subscr). The report said Filani was the first candidate for this position that Sarkisian has met with in person.

A second report from Inside Texas (also subscr), cited a source that Filani was in Austin this week.

CF.C asked new WSU offensive coordinator Ben Arbuckle about Filani this past Wednesday, and while Arbuckle said Filani was still the WRs coach, it certainly appears based on the latest reports Filani could be on the move after one season at WSU. 

Questions surfaced among the Cougar faithful on Filani when he was notably absent from several recruiting pictures on the big midyear transfer recruiting weekend after the first of the year – three important midyear wide receivers came on board but Filani was, publicly at least, scarce.

Washington State’s wide receivers unit didn’t have a stellar 2022 season. The Cougs’ leading receiver had but 562 yards, the blocking downfield wasn’t at the level needed and the drops were at times a drag on WSU's ability to put together drives,.

Filani joined the staff ahead of the 2022 season under head man Jake Dickert, coming in at the same time as offensive coordinator Eric Morris.

Filani coached at Texas Tech, his alma mater, for three years before coming to WSU, tutoring the Red Raiders’ outside receivers. He played at Texas Tech under Mike Leach and alongside Morris.

Here's another...

Nick Edwards expected to be hired as WSU wide receivers coach

ByJAMEY VINNICK 2 hours ago

NICK EDWARDS IS expected to be hired as the wide receivers coach at Washington State, according to a report from Bruce Feldman of The Athletic. Edwards spent this past season as an offensive assistant with the Atlanta Falcons and previously worked at Cal, as the offensive coordinator at Cal Poly and the wide receivers coach at Eastern Washington, where he coached Cooper Kupp and Kendrick Bourne. 

With the report Edwards will be joining the Cougar staff, WRs coach Joel Filani would appear to be all but gone from the position he held last year. There has been smoke around Filani's departure for a few weeks now, although new OC Ben Arbuckle told CF.C on Wednesday Filani was still the wide receivers coach. But with reports Filani was interviewing at Texas followed by the Edwards report from Feldman, it would certainly appear Filani is on his way out and Edwards is on his way in. 

A Tacoma native, Edwards walked on at Eastern Washington and became a star receiver for the Eagles from 2008-2012. After trying to catch on in the NFL, he took a strength and conditioning assistant job at EWU in 2013 and then coached the Eagles' receivers from 2o14-16. Cal hired him as its wide receivers coach (2017-18) before moving into a role as the running backs coach in 2019. From there, he spent two years as the Cal Poly offensive coordinator before the Falcons hired him. 

Edwards is yet another example of how Jake Dickert wants staff members with local ties. While he never played or coached at WSU, he did both at EWU and grew up in the state, which gives him plenty of local ties. His time at Cal and Cal Poly likely gives him inroads in California as well, which will be valuable on the recruiting trail, assuming the hiring is made official.

Assuming Edwards' hire is announced, WSU's offensive staff will seemingly be finalized with Arbuckle as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Mark Atuaia with running backs, Edwards coaching receivers, Nick Whitworth handling tight ends and special teams and Clay McGuire in charge of the offensive linemen.

THERE IS CERTAINLY room for improvement for the Washington State receivers after a pedestrian 2022 season, and Edwards would be looking at a bunch of new faces at Wazzu. Six receivers from last year's roster are gone, replaced by two prep signees, a JC signee and three midyear transfer arrivals.

Without question, the big assignments for Edwards would be to work on the blocking of the receivers, and better consistency in catching the football.

At his disposal would be returners Lincoln Victor, Leyton Smithson, Orion Peters, Tsion Nunnally and Joshua Meredith along with new faces Josh Kelly, Kyle Williams, Isaiah Hamilton, DT Sheffield, Carlos Hernandez and Brandon Hills.

• Hook 'Em 1

Filani’s background seemed to be a pretty good fit, but the comments on the boards shows how you never know with a coach unless you know them personally or know someone who does.

That’s why surly coaching speculation is often a waste of time. Most folks don’t have a personal connection to the candidate. Same with recruits. In fact, just shut the site down. We are wasting our time. 

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Filani’s background seemed to be a pretty good fit, but the comments on the boards shows how you never know with a coach unless you know them personally or know someone who does. That’s why surly coaching speculation is often a waste of time. Most folks don’t have a personal connection to the candidate. Same with recruits. In fact, just shut the site down. We are wasting our time. 

Just an Fyi...  Filani as a Grad Asst at Boise St was on same staff as PK for a year.  Also Filani was at North Texas with Coach Choice for two years.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

This is the kind of content I come to surly for. Certitude, anger at UT decisions, and a whiff of insider knowledge all in a neat package. I'm not saying you're wrong, friend, but you are prototype surly!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Burton

No change at the wide receiver spot from what we reported Sunday morning.

Jacksonville Jaguars receivers coach Chris Jackson remains the front runner.

The Jaguars have at least one more game this season. We do not expect an announcement until their season is complete.

If Jackson, for whatever reason, decides to stay in the NFL, Sark is expected to choose among Adam Henry, WR coach at Indiana, Joel Filani, former WR coach at Washington, and Dallas Baker, WR coach at Baylor.

We have also been told to expect the WR coach and the offensive analyst position to be hired prior to Sark re-focusing on the high school relations position vacated by Chris Gilbert’s return to on-field coaching at North Texas.

A week ago, Texas was extremely close to making the High School relations hire but one person of extreme interest for the job opted to withdraw from consideration.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

I think I will trust sark over half the posters here. 

I can understand this sentiment because we all want Sark to turn the corner. But the actual problem here is that Sark hasn't turned the corner. I'm not ready to give him a pass on his public demonstration of ignorance on Stoops, and since his initial asst. staff, he's hired Marion. At best, the grade is incomplete. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Dude.. back away from the keyboard. 

Sark stayed the course on D after a rocky first season, that turned out to be right and now we all love Choate and are coming around to PK when we were crushing them last year. Gideon landed a 5 star level dude and the safeties all of the sudden looked good last year. Joseph got much better play out of the DBs this year and landed 5 star level dudes. Sark brought in Gary Patterson. That was a home run. Sark brought in Marion, and whatever we think of him, he just got a promotion to offensive coordinator. He brought in Choice, that was a home run. He brought Flood with him, that has been a home run. He brought Banks with him, that has been a home run. No we have not turned the corner, but this has been a huge rebuild and the pieces are finally in place to go do something significant next season.  

Are we sure it was PK and not GP? jk jk

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It requires belief in reporting, but if you believe the report that they wanted the hire announced this week so they can sell it on junior day, then the jax guy is the only named candidate that you’d have an issue hiring on that timeline, right?

Correct. But they should be able to handle a visit weekend without a receivers coach. They shouldn’t be rushing a hire just for that one event.

Get the hire right.

• Like 1

It requires belief in reporting, but if you believe the report that they wanted the hire announced this week so they can sell it on junior day, then the jax guy is the only named candidate that you’d have an issue hiring on that timeline, right?

“We should also wait on Andy Reid. I think he would be an acceptable hire as WR coach, even if he has a questionable playoff record. Maybe we can give him the co-OC title, but I’m not sure if I trust Sark with that call.”

-some posters here
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Something I just thought about that is kind of funny is it was reported last week that they wanted the hire done by Wednesday as you said so they essentially assumed the Jaguars would lose as well.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

“We should also wait on Andy Reid. I think he would be an acceptable hire as WR coach, even if he has a questionable playoff record. Maybe we can give him the co-OC title, but I’m not sure if I trust Sark with that call.”

-some posters here

Tee Martin is available right now and can start immediately. DO SOMETHING SARK!

On 1/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, HenryJames said:

I summer in Beaumont.

Oh yeah? How's he doing? I don't think anyone has missed him since he left the boards after trying to use the NIL premise to line his own pockets and was insisting to everyone who would listen that the Jimbo Fisher Bag Game is the way of the future. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh yeah? How's he doing? I don't think anyone has missed him since he left the boards after trying to use the NIL premise to line his own pockets and was insisting to everyone who would listen that the Jimbo Fisher Bag Game is the way of the future. 

Was that the post you meant to be responding to?

17 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
18 hours ago, UDontKnow said:
I don't have CTJ levels of hate for Nahlin, but I can't stand the guy and his reporting. What exactly is a 'professional program' supposed to mean? Sarkisian wants all his coaches to have NFL experience? That doesn't seem to be the case on for the defensive coaches. Andre Coleman played in the NFL or five seasons and even set Super Bowl records, but how did he turn out as a WR coach? 
Eric Nahlin "publisher of Inside Texas", throwing more shit against the wall and hoping it sticks. If it weren't for Bobby and Gerry, IT would be completely useless.

Wells is good people.

Well, I guess we know that you're from East Texas. 

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He also hired the guy single-handedly responsible for landing the top RB recruit in the nation, but who needs facts.

Good point - I had forgotten Drayton hung for a year. Point still stands, though. Choice hasn't led us around the conference championship/10 win corner. 

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sark stayed the course on D after a rocky first season, that turned out to be right and now we all love Choate and are coming around to PK when we were crushing them last year. Gideon landed a 5 star level dude and the safeties all of the sudden looked good last year. Joseph got much better play out of the DBs this year and landed 5 star level dudes. Sark brought in Gary Patterson. That was a home run. Sark brought in Marion, and whatever we think of him, he just got a promotion to offensive coordinator. He brought in Choice, that was a home run. He brought Flood with him, that has been a home run. He brought Banks with him, that has been a home run. No we have not turned the corner, but this has been a huge rebuild and the pieces are finally in place to go do something significant next season.  

• Yes, much of Surly and the internet were calling for Sark to replace PK. That he didn't doesn't give me any information about who he would have hired to adjust my expectations.
  • GP coming in was a home run, and I'm attributing much of the DB improvement you attribute to Gideon and Joseph to Fatterson's influence on scheme. If you want to believe Gideon "landed" Derek Williams, that's fine. He wasn't the primary recruiter, but Gideon will be his coach, so okay. I don't have the nuts on this, but I'm 90% sure that hiring GP wasn't Sark's idea, and maybe not even his choice. If he deserves credit there for reeling him in, I'd be happy to be corrected. 
  • Marion was a good hire. I think almost everyone thought it was a great hire initially (including me), but results pushed that down to good. 
  • Choice was/is a home run, no argument there. 
  • My comment was "since his initial asst. staff". Flood and Banks have of course been great coaches and recruiters. 

While our success is ultimately tied to the HC, the combination of parts hasn't brought us more than an 8 win season. The only reason I can think of to blindly tRuSt ThE cOrChEs on ANYTHING in the face of "a huge rebuild", without any evidence of success executing a rebuild, is preservation of fandom in the offseason. It's not a good reason, but it's a reason.