2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

Back to the topic of Saban potentially hiring Lebby as OC...

Can y'all really imagine Saban going all & in making the changes needed to run the the Veer & Shoot Briles offense? Remember all the changes that Coach Strong had to make with practice structure & hiring analysts/GAs who knew the offense when he hired Gilbert & Mattox after the 2015 season?

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Can y'all really imagine Saban going all & in making the changes needed to run the the Veer & Shoot Briles offense? Remember all the changes that Coach Strong had to make with practice structure & hiring analysts/GAs who knew the offense when he hired Gilbert & Mattox after the 2015 season?

No. Perchance that was one of many issues. 

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

You’re assuming Charlie had a plan 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Great hire. I saw that dude light up the horns for about 50 in the summit in Houston beck in the day when he was at lsu. 

I was there as well. They also had some massive dude in knee pads who blocked damn near everything. He turned out to have an ok career.

I caught the ON3 video with Wells and Bobby Burton. Wells relayed some comments from Micah Hudson, that I thought was worthy of sharing. Wells said he talked to Micah about meeting the new WR coach. I'll paraphrase "Seems like a genuine guy, he did not come in wearing a cowboy hat and boots".  Doesnt sound like Micah was a Marion fan. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, hornlife said:

I thought Milwee was OC or Co-OC? And I get that Sark is our real OC.  I know it's a positive sign to have coaches recruited away, but I hope we hold this staff for years. Very solid staff. 

Wait you're following up not remembering who LaDainian Tomlinson or Andy Dalton are with forgetting who our offensive coordinator is?

It's Kyle Flood, btw.

1 hour ago, hornlife said:

I thought Milwee was OC or Co-OC? And I get that Sark is our real OC.  I know it's a positive sign to have coaches recruited away, but I hope we hold this staff for years. Very solid staff. 

That's a good game to play. 

Seems like Sark is here until he is fired or retires.

I would bet given his family ties that Banks stays as long as Sark is here.

PK has given no indication that he wants a head coaching job, so he likely stays for awhile.

Flood seems happy with his stable of big humans and working with Sark, so I think he stays.

Choate has solid head coaching experience at a lower level and is learning at this level. I expect him to snag a Mountain West type job in a year or two and then move up to a major school within 2-3 years after that. But then again, he and PK are buds.

Milwee seems attached to Sark, but it would not surprise if some OC job comes knocking--especially if we do well with Arch.

I don't know about Bo's ambitions. Does he want to be a DC? I'd like to think he's ready to settle down and stay in Austin, but there always seem to be rumors about him.

Choice seems ambitious and I could see him going for a stronger title or to the NFL. After Bijan and RoJo, if Baxter is as good as advertised, he'll have people calling.

Gideon is coaching at his alma mater, so it may take a lot to draw him away. He may wait it out and try to get the DC job after PK retires or moves back to the NW in a few years.

If we keep improving on D, Joseph may get some looks for DC jobs. I don't how attached he is to UT and Austin.

Jackson just arrived so you have to think he's here for at least two seasons.

Strength coaches don't seem to move around a lot unless the head coach leaves, so I guess Becton is here for a bit.

I know nothing about Fenner and if he wants to coach at the college level or not. It'd probably be good for guys in these positions to move on after 2-3 years so you can get a new high school guy. Keeps the HS coaches on their toes and working to curry favor with Texas.

10 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

That's a good game to play. 

Seems like Sark is here until he is fired or retires.

I would bet given his family ties that Banks stays as long as Sark is here.

PK has given no indication that he wants a head coaching job, so he likely stays for awhile.

Flood seems happy with his stable of big humans and working with Sark, so I think he stays.

Choate has solid head coaching experience at a lower level and is learning at this level. I expect him to snag a Mountain West type job in a year or two and then move up to a major school within 2-3 years after that. But then again, he and PK are buds.

Milwee seems attached to Sark, but it would not surprise if some OC job comes knocking--especially if we do well with Arch.

I don't know about Bo's ambitions. Does he want to be a DC? I'd like to think he's ready to settle down and stay in Austin, but there always seem to be rumors about him.

Choice seems ambitious and I could see him going for a stronger title or to the NFL. After Bijan and RoJo, if Baxter is as good as advertised, he'll have people calling.

Gideon is coaching at his alma mater, so it may take a lot to draw him away. He may wait it out and try to get the DC job after PK retires or moves back to the NW in a few years.

If we keep improving on D, Joseph may get some looks for DC jobs. I don't how attached he is to UT and Austin.

Jackson just arrived so you have to think he's here for at least two seasons.

Strength coaches don't seem to move around a lot unless the head coach leaves, so I guess Becton is here for a bit.

I know nothing about Fenner and if he wants to coach at the college level or not. It'd probably be good for guys in these positions to move on after 2-3 years so you can get a new high school guy. Keeps the HS coaches on their toes and working to curry favor with Texas.

Solid insight, thank you. Goes with most of what I guessed.  Davis, Flood, Banks, and PK/Choate really seem to be the keys to me.  It has really hurt us shifting DC's (entire staffs) every few years.  Y2 under PK - Ford and others really progressed. Y3 for Ford should be a treat to watch.  Learning and recruiting towards a specific system is huge imo. Hoping we retain the nucleus of this staff for years.   

@texifornia, I'll give you I forgot LT but anyone screaming that Dalton is memorable or anything but maybe approaching average is crazy. His career QBR etc shows average to below average. Yes, he somehow got a few pro bowls early in his career with a 50ish QBR. Outside the state of Texas and I bet 50% or more in the state of Texas, TCU is a complete unknown geographically or for anything to most sports fans.  UT, USC - different story. 

Davey O'Brien? Yep, he went to TCU spent most of his career as a back-up until his senior year (a good year). Spent 2 years iirc in the NFL all sometime in the late 1930's. A foundation awards a trophy with his name on it. Puts TCU on the map ... totally. Maybe Duggan will.

I'm not against the school, it's probably a decent college.  But a talented football athlete that can choose between UT, USC, TCU - there's one in that list that doesn't belong. But you do you and proclaim the TCU might and that people even know where it is (they don't), their huge NFL HOF list and roster of players, etc.  They don't belong in the same conversation as UT or USC for football by any known metric.

I did think Milwee had some type of OC/co-OC title for pay reasons, my bad on that.     

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well he left to avoid being fired. It was a classic "leave by choice or we will force you out" type of deal. 

I thought there was more nuance to that situation. Texas found him a landing spot at Marquette so that they didn't have to pony up a buyout, if I understood it correctly.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I thought there was more nuance to that situation. Texas found him a landing spot at Marquette so that they didn't have to pony up a buyout, if I understood it correctly.

Dude was a dead man walking with what was going to be on roster. If not fired after 2021, 2022 was very likely. I don’t think CDC was able to envision Shaka coaching in Moody with his trajectory. Better we found him that spot to give a new coach a year to build a foundation for opening Moody a year later