2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I think when the history on Patterson is revealed, we will discover he helped the program just enough so that he wouldn’t arouse anger about the fact he was mainly just trying to learn everything he could about offense and NIL at Texas. 

Eh. Offense maybe. When he was hired our NIL wasn’t shit. And we had to teach the administration about NIL, in some regards kicking and screaming. I doubt it was a factor in him coming here. Bonus learning, maybe. Dude came here to play music and stick it to tcu. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eh. Offense maybe. When he was hired our NIL wasn’t shit. And we had to teach the administration about NIL, in some regards kicking and screaming. I doubt it was a factor in him coming here. Bonus learning, maybe. Dude came here to play music and stick it to tcu. 

He mentioned learning about NIL as one of his motivating factors. Now whether he learned anything is another story. 

18 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I think when the history on Patterson is revealed, we will discover he helped the program just enough so that he wouldn’t arouse anger about the fact he was mainly just trying to learn everything he could about offense and NIL at Texas. 

DGAF why as long as he helped us.  I'm pretty sure he was a significant contributor.

FCB 

Torre Becton weighing offer from an NFL team, according to source

— Texas strength and conditioning coach Torre Becton has been offered a job with an NFL team, according to a source close to the situation.

Becton has been at Texas since Steve Sarkisian took over as coach in January 2021 and recently had his contract extended through February 2025 with his salary of $550,000 remaining the same.

Becton was an assistant strength coach at Washington from 2011-15 with the first three years at UW while Sarkisian was head coach and the last two under Chris Petersen.

Becton also served one season as an assistant strength coach at USC in 2016 before taking over as the head strength coach at Cal under then-coach Justin Wilcox beginning in 2017. Becton was at Cal when Sarkisian hired him away to Texas.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:25 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

image.thumb.jpeg.218f210a85d5b8380134a8eff96b2686.jpeg

What a great pic.  Tim Donaghy, busted for betting on games he officiated, standing next to notorious gambler MJ, which conspiracy theorists speculate was the real reason for his first "retirement" (aka suspension).

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

What a great pic.  Tim Donaghy, busted for betting on games he officiated, standing next to notorious gambler MJ, which conspiracy theorists speculate was the real reason for his first "retirement" (aka suspension).

The most interesting thing about all the Donaghy saga was how he called out the NBA for fixing games.  It never went anywhere, but we all know it's fucking happening.

• Hook 'Em 2

FCB

I’m hearing Texas strength coach Torre Becton has been offered the same position with the Buffalo Bills.

I’m hearing Becton would likely stay in Austin if Texas shows him a little love, because he believes the Longhorns are about to break through and because he has four daughters he’d rather not uproot.

Becton recently had his contract extended at UT through February of 2025, but his $550,000 salary remained the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

NFL doesn't typically pay assistants all that much.  Usually their college counterparts earn more.  I wonder what the Bills are offering.

What Becton makes now is roughly the same as a head strength coach in the NFL, but most NFL head strength coaches make more than most of their CFB counterparts. There are some CFB outliers that are either overpaid, are rewarded for tenure, or have been money whipped to take the job but those outliers aren't the market. 

46 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What Becton makes now is roughly the same as a head strength coach in the NFL, but most NFL head strength coaches make more than most of their CFB counterparts. There are some CFB outliers that are either overpaid, are rewarded for tenure, or have been money whipped to take the job but those outliers aren't the market. 

So are we talking going from $550k to like $600-750k? According to an article Oklahoma State pays their guy 1 million a year, as the highest paid in the country, and the number two guy is paid $820k by Ohio State.

Someone, please tell me how to feel about the last post.  Is the mob for, against, or indifferent? I need to know whether or not to get my pitchfork ready.
Injuries seem to be fewer and less severe in the past two years vs the Strong/Herman days, but there were also times the team seemed to run out of 4th quarter has in '21, not so much in '22 though.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, Vertigo said:

Executive senior associate ad? What in the sidewinding fuck is that?

I believe it translates to “CDC’s lackey, who is kept far as fuck away from overseeing sports and hiring coaches, but knows where the bodies are buried so we can’t fire her”

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Saw some chatter on twitter about Bo Davis being pursued for the open DL coach position at LSU. Any danger there since it's his Alma mater? Didn't he just sign a fat raise?

All I’ve seen is LSU fans wishcasting on twitter and reddit, no actual smoke

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Saw some chatter on twitter about Bo Davis being pursued for the open DL coach position at LSU. Any danger there since it's his Alma mater? Didn't he just sign a fat raise?

He was bumped up from 900k to 1 million last May. He is the 2nd highest paid DL coach in the country behind Larry Johnson.

Jamar Cain was making 800k at LSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I can't imagine trading working in Austin for Baton Rouge or going from a seemingly good dude (Sark) to a douche-fuck like Brian Kelly

yeah. I'm thinking Bo is in the quality of life phase. he wants to win, but putting up with HC like Kelley and Saban is a pretty big ask

On 3/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Buffalo is way cheaper than Austin, at least in terms of housing. But I'd say that's it's only real plus.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/austin-tx/buffalo-ny/52000

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Looks like Kliff Kingsbury is officially off the board for the offensive assistant to the Head Coach position:

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why are you posting that here? Has nothing to do with Texas you stupid fat fuck. 

Because Kingsbury was pipedream name being thrown around as a possible offensive assistant to the Head Coach position hire earlier this year.

• Fuck You 1