2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 5:25 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking this.  I'm not a 1%er, but I was thinking their could have been better optics for a picture.  

Well remember he was only making about $250k per year before he came here. I am sure he had to get a house with the unwashed masses somewhere in the suburbs when he arrived.

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I know that we already got word that Bo Davis was staying but it's still a relief to see the position filled. 

Reading the Tigerdroppings forum, most LSU fans think it's an underwhelming hire.  Several asking what happened with Bo?  And "He better land Simmons and McKinley!!".

On 4/13/2023 at 6:25 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking this.  I'm not a 1%er, but I was thinking their could have been better optics for a picture.  

I looked at Sonny Dykes' home in Tucson and I thought it kind of sucked. I should have gotten mexican food beforehand and used his restroom.

• Haha 1

Ferris Wheelers Backyard and BBQ- Dallas May 10th:   2023 Texas Fight Tour

Sark, CDC, RT, and Vic will be in Dallas

Steve Sarkisian On The Cowboys Drafting D-Overshown, Arch Manning Expectations | Shan & RJ

22 hours ago

Texas Exes announce 2023 Texas Fight Tour

On May 9, the Texas Exes will host the San Antonio leg of the Texas Fight Tour at the Chicken N Pickle from 6-8 p.m. Details for the event at 5215 UTSA Boulevard can be found here. Prices for this event, and those in Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston, are $25 for Texas Exes and Longhorn Foundation members, $35 for non-members, and $10 for children ages 7-12. Children 6 and under get in free.

The second leg of the tour will be held in Dallas on May 10, also from 6-8 p.m. The event is scheduled to take place at Ferris Wheelers Backyard and BBQ, located at 1950 Market Center Boulevard.

The following night’s event in Fort Worth will be at the Fort Worth Stockyards Station, located at 140 East Exchange Avenue.

Houston’s turn to host the Texas Fight Tour will be on May 16 at J-Bar-M Barbecue at 2201 Leeland Street.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

“Hey recently fired head coach, we want you to be an analyst at Texas.”

“I don’t need the money”

”Hoho, no no. This isn’t money for living. This is safari money. Give me a good year and I’ll send your happy ass to Africa.”

”……really?”

If it was any less private it would have climbed in the jeep

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

Looks like Sark hired Payam  Saadat to replace Patterson…..

Texas Football: Sarkisian hires Payam Saadat to replace Gary Patterson

by Andrew Miller9 hours ago

https://hookemheadlines.com/2023/05/26/texas-football-sarkisian-hires-payam-saadat-replace-gary-patterson/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverick

Saadat’s experience in the double eagle flex system

"This is a defensive system that was originally pioneered by Dick Tomey at Arizona in the early 1990s."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Texas Football: Sarkisian hires Payam Saadat to replace Gary Patterson
by Andrew Miller9 hours ago
https://hookemheadlines.com/2023/05/26/texas-football-sarkisian-hires-payam-saadat-replace-gary-patterson/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverick
Saadat’s experience in the double eagle flex system
"This is a defensive system that was originally pioneered by Dick Tomey at Arizona in the early 1990s."

At least he always has Cal Poly to fall back on if things don’t work out.
  • Haha 1

Sarkisian lands longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as special assistant to head coach

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Sarkisian lands longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as special assistant to head coach

Chip Brown

Steve Sarkisian has landed longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as a special assistant to the head coach for the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation confirmed to Horns247.

DeCamillis, 57, most recently was the special teams coach for the Los Angeles Rams when the Rams won Super Bowl LVI. DeCamillis, who also won a Super Bowl as the special teams coach of the Denver Broncos in 2015, was let go by the Rams in January.

Among the responsibilities given to De Camillis will be sharing ideas with Texas tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, the source said.

DeCamillis was the special teams coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 2009-13 and suffered extensive injuries, including a fractured cervical vertebrae in his neck, when the Cowboys’ practice facility collapsed during a wind storm on May 2, 2009. DeCamillis recovered from the injuries following surgery.

DeCamillis spent the previous 31 years as an NFL special teams coach/coordinator, beginning as an assistant special teams coach for his father-in-law, then Denver Broncos head coach Dan Reeves, in 1991 and 1992.

DeCamillis has also served as the special teams coach for the New York Giants (1993-96); Atlanta Falcons (1997-2006); Jacksonville Jaguars (2007-08); Dallas Cowboys (2009-12); Chicago Bears (2013-14); Denver Broncos (2015-16); Jaguars (2017-20); and Rams (2021-22).

As Horns247 reported previously, Sarkisian also appears to have found his replacement for former TCU head coach Gary Patterson as a special assistant - Payam Saadat (pronounced PIE-um suh-DOT), a longtime defensive coordinator at schools including Portland State and Army who has specialized in unconventional defenses.

13 hours ago, Getafix said:

Chip Brown

Reveal hidden contents

Chip Brown

Steve Sarkisian has landed longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as a special assistant to the head coach for the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation confirmed to Horns247.

DeCamillis, 57, most recently was the special teams coach for the Los Angeles Rams when the Rams won Super Bowl LVI. DeCamillis, who also won a Super Bowl as the special teams coach of the Denver Broncos in 2015, was let go by the Rams in January.

Among the responsibilities given to De Camillis will be sharing ideas with Texas tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, the source said.

DeCamillis was the special teams coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 2009-13 and suffered extensive injuries, including a fractured cervical vertebrae in his neck, when the Cowboys’ practice facility collapsed during a wind storm on May 2, 2009. DeCamillis recovered from the injuries following surgery.

DeCamillis spent the previous 31 years as an NFL special teams coach/coordinator, beginning as an assistant special teams coach for his father-in-law, then Denver Broncos head coach Dan Reeves, in 1991 and 1992.

DeCamillis has also served as the special teams coach for the New York Giants (1993-96); Atlanta Falcons (1997-2006); Jacksonville Jaguars (2007-08); Dallas Cowboys (2009-12); Chicago Bears (2013-14); Denver Broncos (2015-16); Jaguars (2017-20); and Rams (2021-22).

As Horns247 reported previously, Sarkisian also appears to have found his replacement for former TCU head coach Gary Patterson as a special assistant - Payam Saadat (pronounced PIE-um suh-DOT), a longtime defensive coordinator at schools including Portland State and Army who has specialized in unconventional defenses.

Has he seen the bubble?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sarkisian continues to build an NFL type staff at Texas.

From his Wiki page:

Smith grew up in an impoverished Oak Cliff section of Dallas, Texas and was raised by his grandmother. Through most of his childhood, Smith's father was incarcerated. His grandfather, Herbert Jones, was a U.S. Army veteran and prominent AAU coach whose players included such Dallas high school stars as Dennis Rodman and Larry Johnson. His grandfather specifically coached and encouraged his development as a football, track, and basketball player beginning when Smith was a young child.[1]

Smith graduated from South Oak Cliff High Schoolin 2008. He was an All-Midlands Region defensive lineman by PrepStar Magazine.[2]

He was recruited to play football at the University of Missouri.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Sarkisian continues to build an NFL type staff at Texas.

From his Wiki page:

Smith grew up in an impoverished Oak Cliff section of Dallas, Texas and was raised by his grandmother. Through most of his childhood, Smith's father was incarcerated. His grandfather, Herbert Jones, was a U.S. Army veteran and prominent AAU coach whose players included such Dallas high school stars as Dennis Rodman and Larry Johnson. His grandfather specifically coached and encouraged his development as a football, track, and basketball player beginning when Smith was a young child.[1]

Smith graduated from South Oak Cliff High Schoolin 2008. He was an All-Midlands Region defensive lineman by PrepStar Magazine.[2]

He was recruited to play football at the University of Missouri.

More from Wiki...

Screenshot_20230701-213507_kindlephoto-1011838.thumb.png.cc7bb1ee78273fa061fe1e7eb38b7ace.png

2015 Article from Bleacher Report

"Jacquies Smith's Wild Ride to Become the NFL's Best Player You've Never Heard of "

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576903-jacquies-smiths-wild-ride-to-become-the-nfls-best-player-youve-never-heard-of

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

More from Wiki...

Screenshot_20230701-213507_kindlephoto-1011838.thumb.png.cc7bb1ee78273fa061fe1e7eb38b7ace.png

2015 Article from Bleacher Report

"Jacquies Smith's Wild Ride to Become the NFL's Best Player You've Never Heard of "

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576903-jacquies-smiths-wild-ride-to-become-the-nfls-best-player-youve-never-heard-of

Looking at all the teams he played for in the NFL reminded me a bit of a man named Steve Wright, who played in 101 games as an offensive lineman in the NFL, for five different teams over 10 seasons. He played for Bear Bryant at Alabama, then for Vince Lombardi in Green Bay, with Fran Tarkenton as a NY Giant etc.. Anyway, after his NFL career he wrote a book called "I'd Rather be Wright: Memoirs of an Itinerant Tackle".  It's one of the best, most hilarious books about  pro football you'll ever read.  I would think that Jacques' Smith's book would be just as good.  Weird note: The NFL Walter Payton award trophy is modeled after Steve Wright.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I recognize these rumors are common knowledge at this point, but does anyone have any updates?

Figured I would pose this question in the appropriate thread rather than furthering shitting up the '24 recruiting or off-season practice threads. 

Your grade as a Surly poster should drop at least one letter - maybe throw in a minus too.

Humor Boomer GIF

Screenshot_20230803-191732_kindlephoto-6058895.png.c73ac13707134ec8bff1db4c3ae649c9.png

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian added three special assistants to his staff in the offseason and outlined their scope of duties on Tuesday at the Longhorns’ introductory media availability in advance of the start of preseason training camp for the upcoming 2023 campaign.

Paul Chryst, Payam Saadat and Joe DeCamillis joined the Texas staff this summer and will advise Sarkisian and his coaches on offense, defense and special teams, respectively, for the Longhorns’ final season as members of the Big 12 Conference.

“All three of those guys came in and had a great rapport with the staff and brought a lot of positive energy into the building,” Sarkisian explained. “I want to make sure everybody that we bring in can only enhance that continuity. So we’re extremely excited to have all three of these guys – I think they’re going to be tremendous assets for us.”

Saadat will be focused on nuances of the defense, with a keen eye developed in more than three decades as a coach after playing at Washington State. Saadat’s most recent position was as defensive coordinator at Portland State, an FCS powerhouse. 

“Saadat is a guy that has had a really cool background in defensive football,” Sarkisian explained. “He’s a guy that was one of the pioneers of the old Arizona ‘Desert Swarm’ flex defense, which historically provided a lot of pressure on the quarterback and created a lot of one-on-one matchups up front. That’s a style of defense that I felt like is that something we’re trying to get better at.”

DeCamillis joins the Longhorns sporting a resume that features more than 30 years of experience as an NFL special teams coordinator, most recently with the Los Angeles Rams where he was on the Super Bowl-winning staff in 2021. He was also the special teams coordinator for Denver Broncos during its Super Bowl championship.

“What a wealth of knowledge and experience DeCamillis provides,” Sarkisian said. “He’s been around some great coaches, been around some great players. A year ago, Dave Brock was on our staff (as a senior analyst) and he’s now with Rutgers. Dave worked with us on offense and then worked with me on a weekly basis from a game management standpoint. Joe D is going to assume some of that responsibility with me.

Chryst and Sarkisian go back to when they were both NFL assistants at San Diego and Oakland, respectively. Chryst was most recently head coach at Wisconsin, a job he held for seven seasons.

“Coach Chryst and I go back some time, to when I was with Norv Turner with the Oakland Raiders, and he was with Mike Riley with the Chargers,” Sarkisian explained. “The connection there with those two coaches is systematically the style of play. 

“I know a lot of people wouldn’t think you of me and Wisconsin football being lined up, with their power running game and me in the play-action pass. We’ve kind of veered off in our own ways. But inevitably, when you get at the core, there’s a lot of similarities to what we do in Chryst’s NFL background in his time with the Chargers. 

“And then obviously, (you have to recognize) what he was able to do at Wisconsin, being Big 10 coach of the year and winning championships. When you when you can get someone with that resume on board (you want them on your staff.)”

Sarkisian also said former TCU coach Gary Patterson, who was a special analyst for the Longhorns last year, is not currently working with the team.

The Longhorns began practice on Wednesday and will continue their preparation of the season throughout the month

I’m 100% certain that’s an Inside Texas article with a credit to USA TODAY for the photo. Steve Habel has a weird role at IT, watching videos and then creating articles from the content. He’ll often write recaps of the Burton “On Texas Football” YouTube videos. I suspect it was his job to pull a story from the Sark newser. I don’t remember if Sarkisian referred to Portland State as a powerhouse, and Habel just ran with it, but the lesser known Steve is probably still thinking of the Neil Lomax days (I know I haven’t thought of them in 40+ years… damn, that’s crazy).

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m 100% certain that’s an Inside Texas article with a credit to USA TODAY for the photo. Steve Habel has a weird role at IT, watching videos and then creating articles from the content. He’ll often write recaps of the Burton “On Texas Football” YouTube videos. I suspect it was his job to pull a story from the Sark newser. I don’t remember if Sarkisian referred to Portland State as a powerhouse, and Habel just ran with it, but the lesser known Steve is probably still thinking of the Neil Lomax days (I know I haven’t thought of them in 40+ years… damn, that’s crazy).

I appreciate that dude. I read recaps but won’t watch a fucking video. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1