Gavin Rush pulls gun on ex at the Anderson Mill Tavern

GottaB

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Wasn’t there a Delaware Subs next door?

There was definitely a sub shop next door for a long time about 10-12 years ago, but I don't remember which chain sub shop it was.

I used to go to that bar (when it was AMT) for a few years but I haven't been in very long time.

I suspect that due to its location, and her affinity for dive bars, our favorite council woman still stops into the bar occasionally. 

I can't believe so many posters here have hung out in that shit hole.  Oh wait.  Yes I can.
Lulz. It's probably been 20 years since I've been there. Definitely weren't many options for a cold beer in that area back then other than AMT or Rhinos and Jocks (not great, Bob).

Waaaaay back in 1988 the original establishment where AMT is was a sub & pizza place with a pretty cool arcade area. It was only a 5 minute drive from Westwood HS so we'd go grab a sammich & play some pool or video games at lunch. Good times.

9 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Lulz. It's probably been 20 years since I've been there. Definitely weren't many options for a cold beer in that area back then other than AMT or Rhinos and Jocks (not great, Bob).

Waaaaay back in 1988 the original establishment where AMT is was a sub & pizza place with a pretty cool arcade area. It was only a 5 minute drive from Westwood HS so we'd go grab a sammich & play some pool emoji463.png or video games at lunch. Good times.

yeah last time I was there was after meeting a chick at Rhinos and Jocks that wanted to ditch her girlfriends and play pool so we went there first (I had a pool table at home too but not sure I wanted her to know where I lived).  It was an interesting scene.

Rhinos and Jocks has probably been gone over 10 years now.  I know that last visit was at least 19-20 years ago.

Edited by TexasEd

Prior to this incident was Gavin Rush a known commodity? The fact he is a proper noun in the title and not "Austin lawyer pulls gun..." makes me think he might have been a minor celebrity or figure or something but he was just a mid-career attorney at some mid-tier firm, right? A dime a dozen in any city.

52 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think both guys that tackled him requested to be anonymous but that was pretty awesome what they did regardless.

7DE72433-9E0A-4B9D-A88B-437AD890DF54.jpeg

Probably on probation / parole and not supposed to be in such a low establishment. Not really kidding. i've heard of at least one similar hero having to bail before the cops got there for that very reason

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They suck ass now.  (Mesa Drive location, I think it's the only one left.  They should just go ahead and put ptomaine on the menu.)

It's too bad they suckass. I know they used to make a damn fine sandwich. Been a while since I've been to one. That's a shame.

5 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

It's too bad they suckass. I know they used to make a damn fine sandwich. Been a while since I've been to one. That's a shame.

They were definitely tops in town, above Texadelphia for "purist" cheesesteaks.

There is some place on the east side I need to try.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hollinastar said:

His previous charge for impleding breath/circulation in 2017 (as stated in article) was against my sister. He also trashed my apartment when my sister lived there after she started dating someone else. Clearly my sister dodged a bullet. There is no justice system hes at home chillin after trying to murder his current ex girlfriend. SMDH!!!! Hes an attorney so he gets a hall pass of course. Travis County is a FCKIN JOKE!

On 11/30/2022 at 10:18 AM, Hollinastar said:

yes dodged a bullet my sister is the ex ex girlfriend not current ex girlfriend that he tried to shoot , but he did choke my sister out. Why was ge granted bail? does no one think that that is completely fcked up?

2 hours ago, Hollinastar said:

Gavin Rush is dead - he tookhis own life/ Im assuming pills. VALID SOURCE - its not on the news yet

Do you still think the bail was too low?

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

I can't believe so many posters here have hung out in that shit hole.  Oh wait.  Yes I can.

Many a time. Was the closest bar to my house in Cedar Park off of 620/Cypress Creek Rd. That was before we knew to yell "Muledick" when we walked in the door.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I would seek mental help.

Been there many times when it was the Tavern and now the pub. 

If I feel like a dive and I want to see an old man blacked out in the corner mumbling nonsense to himself, I go there.

This is literally the type of bar you go to if you sit, drink, and post on surlyhorns.

The place is an absolute shit hole and it smells of vomit for the better part of 2 decades.

Without a doubt, we should have a surly meet up there just to recognize all of the degenerates that post here in a low light environment.

I mean.....I'm listening....

Hell, I think I've maybe even been their with Brisket and a mutual friend. I know we used to frequent the one at the corner in the strip mall on the SW corner of Anderson Mill and 183. It had that Aussie owner that ended up in some kind of trouble.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Hell, I think I've maybe even been their with Brisket and a mutual friend. I know we used to frequent the one at the corner in the strip mall on the SW corner of Anderson Mill and 183. It had that Aussie owner that ended up in some kind of trouble.

CHIEF

Same strip mall as Reale's?  I'm trying to think of a bar in that place but am coming up blank.

Anyway, aside from the recent gunplay and attempted murder, Anderson Mill Pub isn't really all that bad. It's dive-y for sure, but not particularly seedy.

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

That was Rhinos and Jocks, back when we were a MUCH less classy bunch.

Okay, when we didn't GIVE a shit about being a much less classy bunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Same strip mall as Reale's?  I'm trying to think of a bar in that place but am coming up blank.

Anyway, aside from the recent gunplay and attempted murder, Anderson Mill Pub isn't really all that bad. It's dive-y for sure, but not particularly seedy.

Yes. It was on the corner closest to Anderson Mill.

CHIEF

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That was it, and we were still kidless, or Mrs. CHIEF was just pregnant. Nordy was still single.

CHIEF

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

3 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yes. It was on the corner closest to Anderson Mill.

CHIEF

Ah okay, I vaguely recall driving past that.  That location was a Green Mesquite  for a while before R&J, and it's currently a Moonie's Burgers.  I never went to R&J because I lived much closer in-town at that time.  If I needed a dive bar fix I'd head to Ginny's Lil Longhorn or Lala's or, if we really wanted to approach rock bottom, Buddy's Place.

In fact, Buddy's Place after a bunch of Trudy's margaritas, was a pretty common (disaster of a) night for us back then.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Ah okay, I vaguely recall driving past that.  That location was a Green Mesquite  for a while before R&J, and it's currently a Moonie's Burgers.  I never went to R&J because I lived much closer in-town at that time.  If I needed a dive bar fix I'd head to Ginny's Lil Longhorn or Lala's or, if we really wanted to approach rock bottom, Buddy's Place.

In fact, Buddy's Place after a bunch of Trudy's margaritas, was a pretty common (disaster of a) night for us back then.

We frequented Ginny's, and Poodle Dog, they were close to Brisket, when he moved to Allendale. Mainly Ginny's to ogle Amanda.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

We frequented Ginny's, and Poodle Dog, they were close to Brisket, when he moved to Allendale. Mainly Ginny's to ogle Amanda.

CHIEF 

Yup, lots of Poodle Dog, too.  And C Hunts.

Back when we were just out of college in the mid 90s, a friend of mine used to charter a bus and organize a dive crawl for his birthday that would start at C Hunts or Buddy's Place, and then move down Burnet, to North Lamar, to South Lamar, and loop back northward. Then we realized that the #3 bus covered a lot of those dives, and so we started doing that instead.  Our group of 30-40 recent college grads and young professionals got a lot of stares from the 2-3 zombified bus patrons, a we piled on for the .5 miles down to the next dive stop, and then piled off.

Edited by utee94
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

How dare you besmirch Buddy's!

It's been a minute, but the last time I went in there, I walked in and could still smell the strong odor of cigarette smoke.  At that point it had been many, many years since the smoking ban went into effect.  I thought to myself, wow, the cheap wood paneling and threadbare carpets in this joint have really absorbed a lot, over the years.

Then I looked down to the end of the bar and there were two crusty old dudes, just openly taking long drags on their cigs.  

Yeah, Buddy's don't care.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's been a minute, but the last time I went in there, I walked in and could still smell the strong odor of cigarette smoke.  At that point it had been many, many years since the smoking ban went into effect.  I thought to myself, wow, the cheap wood paneling and threadbare carpets in this joint have really absorbed a lot, over the years.

Then I looked down to the end of the bar and there were two crusty old dudes, just openly taking long drags on their cigs.  

Yeah, Buddy's don't care.

Lala's didn't either, until Frances sold the place. Removed the ashtrays and you paid a dollar for an empty beer can to ash your cigarettes into. 

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

72u5np.jpg

Several of the Surly (then known as Shagsters) have considerable experience in this area:

Welcome to Lucky Penny Lounge

With 23 beers on tap and craft brews available, Lucky Penny Lounge is a go-to dive bar for locals and visitors alike. Open seven days a week.

https://www.luckypennylounge.com/

• Hook 'Em 2