USA World Cup Match 4: Netherlands

The Earl of Texas

This Dutch team is nowhere near the level of Van Persie's and Robben's years.  They have DeJong but I see no reason why USMNT shouldn't dominate the midfield and gallop  down the flanks with ease. Probably wouldn't be able to score though so this will go to PK. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, that's too high.  I could see +200 or maybe even +250.

I agree if you're just looking at the quality of both sides. But history is against us and for the Dutch. 

That said - we aren't going to lose in the Ro16 forever.

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree if you're just looking at the quality of both sides. But history is against us and for the Dutch. 

That said - we aren't going to lose in the Ro16 forever.

Yeah, this looks like a line that is too high based on history and the names on the front of the jerseys.  It just doesn't sound like USMNT should only be slight underdogs, or even medium underdogs, to a football power like the Netherlands.  But looking at the rosters that will meet on Sat, the names on the back of the jerseys, that's what I see.  Hence, I think this is where some of the smart money will say things like, "there's value on USMNT here."

Or, I'm just a homer.  That could be.  

Edited by TexArcher

8 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

My son has a soccer game near the Dell Diamond in Round Rock that should finish around 9:30. Any places around there to watch the game? I need a place that will still have open seats at halftime and is teenager-friendly. Thoughts? 

Check out the Kenney Fort British Pub.  They're right outside of Old Settler's Park and appear to be showing the game on Saturday morning.

317686710_575652617896836_15274470031182

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Goals from penalty kicks aren't scores. A 0-0 match that went to penalties would still be scored 0-0 after penalties.

yea remind me. a 0-0 that goes to PK's still counts as a draw for gambling purposes, correct? W/L/D and spread bets are closed at the end of 120?

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Weird time to ask, but I can't find it anywhere else....why did the U.S. withdraw from the 1938 World Cup in France?  

Bro. Can you think of anything else going on in Europe in 1938? I googled and only Brazil and Cuba played from our side of the world. They didn’t even have to qualify. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Bro. Can you think of anything else going on in Europe in 1938? I googled and only Brazil and Cuba played from our side of the world. They didn’t even have to qualify. 

I mean we went to the '36 Olympics that were held in Nazi Germany.

I don't know why the US didn't go, but there was nothing going on in France in 1938. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I mean we went to the '36 Olympics that were held in Nazi Germany.

I don't know why the US didn't go, but there was nothing going on in France in 1938. 

The Spanish civil war was right next door. There was a ton of unrest with the rise of fascism across Europe. I don’t know but it’s not like everything was hunky dory. Argentina didn’t even go and they were potential hosts

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That's just it, it was a relatively quiet time in Europe other than the Austrian annexation.  Germany wouldn't invade Poland for another 14 months and the plans to do so were largely unknown by the U.S. at that point.  We had just competed in Munich less than two years prior and the climate was largely the same as it had been during the Olympic Games.  Future occupied lands competing in 1938 would include Czechoslovakia, France, Belgium, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, and Sweden.  Co-belligerent Italy would play.  And making the trek besides Brazil were Cuba and Dutch East Indies.  A rather motley crew.  I get why we didn't for geo-political reasons, I was just wondering if there were also football considerations as well.  

Anyway, it all ends Saturday.  We saved the Dutch in 1944.  And now, they will suffer under our feet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The Spanish civil war was right next door. There was a ton of unrest with the rise of fascism across Europe. I don’t know but it’s not like everything was hunky dory. Argentina didn’t even go and they were potential hosts

Argentina didn't go because they were upset that Europe was chosen to host and boycotted. 

If you can find a specific reason the US didn't attend you can share it with us. 

Wiki says that we also withdrew because of 2 tournaments in a row in Europe.  At that time, it was supposed to alternate between S. America and Europe, so I'm not sure why we would have been upset.  Maybe some kind of solidarity that was down in the fine print of the Monroe doctrine that I never read.

image.thumb.png.10a4eb64846a5138c1d8503088ed7bf4.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification

• Hook 'Em 1

Last post on this tangent:

https://olympics.com/en/news/usa-fifa-world-cup-history-results-records-top-players

With storm clouds gathering over Europe, the Americans withdrew from the 1938 World Cup in France but returned in the first post-World War II installment to create a major sensation. 

Back on topic: we can win this game. Hopefully Pulisic is 100%

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

Problem for us is that our bench sucks.

And whoever you sub on late in the game has to take the penalty kicks. 

So our legit talent, if they want to be part of the penalty shootout, will have to play the full 90 minutes AND the 30 minutes of extra time. 

Our depth is definitely a concern, with injuries piling up and the fact that we consistently look gassed after 70 minutes. Musa in particular was leggy as hell at the end of the match and it's hard for me to see him going 120 minutes. McKennie too, which is understandable since he's still on his way back from an injury, but those are guys who you want to take spot kicks. 

I have no idea if Pulisic will be be able to play at all, but if he can only go 30-50 minutes, you probably have to start without him and bring him on with 20 to go. You'd certainly want him to take a penalty and I really doubt he will be able to play 90 + extra time.

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Last post on this tangent:

https://olympics.com/en/news/usa-fifa-world-cup-history-results-records-top-players

Back on topic: we can win this game. Hopefully Pulisic is 100%

That's not a source that's just a presumption that that guy is making. He doesn't even get our # of appearances right.

Qatar 2022 is the United States’ 12th appearance at a FIFA World Cup.

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

yea remind me. a 0-0 that goes to PK's still counts as a draw for gambling purposes, correct? W/L/D and spread bets are closed at the end of 120?

Correct. I put $50 on Austin FC to win against Salt Lake in the MLS playoffs when I was in Vegas and lost the bet even though Austin won on PKs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I think it's at the end of 90 minutes. If you put money down on the US to win and it's tied after 90, you lose your bet even if they win in extra time. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. Of course there's also the "to advance" bet which would include extra time and PKs.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

51 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I think it's at the end of 90 minutes. If you put money down on the US to win and it's tied after 90, you lose your bet even if they win in extra time. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. Of course there's also the "to advance" bet which would include extra time and PKs.

You’re actually right, at least for my book. Ends at 90 minutes unless otherwise noted. Let’s go draws!!!