USA World Cup Match 4: Netherlands

The Earl of Texas

10 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

This Dutch team is starting to feel like one of those Italian teams that unexpectedly wins the whole thing. They can adjust to any style of play, possession, defend, counter, and it doesn’t matter.

Eh, they beat us, let's not overrate them for suffocating a middling USA team. Argentina will tell the tale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well I am going to be positive One thing I love about the American team is they play till the end. Other teams would have started fouling, head butting, kicking to the groin, bitting or you name it. Bullshit that teams do when frustrated, not the USMNT and it gets them wins and at times like this respect.

Haha, thanks, amigo.

This Cup was not CONCACAF's best showing. Seems like both our sides (El Tri and USMNT) get the yips in the final third.

Some of the US's problems can be fixed by hiring a manager who isn't a narcissistic idiot. I thought Tata was a decent manager and not the problem for y'all but I guess we'll see.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not thread policing I'm posting like normal. I'm sorry that that seems to be offending some of you. A lot of you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I don't understand what you mean by "more creative corners". 

Every thread on the football board ends up with you telling half the thread they don't know what they're talking about.  And a lot of the time that's true.  But it was just a couple of years ago that you didn't know what you were talking about, but you posted as if you did.  And all the people who've been in these threads for many years were a lot more patient with you about it.  So, maybe you could be a little more patient with the newcomers, lest this whole board just turn into the ztejas-knows-more-than-you show?

Sorry, man, you post a lot of good stuff, too, but this shit is annoying.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not thread policing I'm posting like normal. I'm sorry that that seems to be offending some of you. A lot of you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I don't understand what you mean by "more creative corners". 

I’m not offended by your failure to understand… I was having difficulty comprehending what our coach was trying to accomplish with the game plan and substitutions.

That said, who is the underdog/dark horse in the knockout rounds that could sneak into the final 4?

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Greg better be fired when he steps off the plane, cant mess up 2026, that will be our best shot for the next while

With any luck, Gergg will be broadcasting NCAA women's soccer in 2026.

Edited by TexArcher
Yeah, I know.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Haha, thanks, amigo.

This Cup was not CONCACAF's best showing. Seems like both our sides (El Tri and USMNT) get the yips in the final third.

Some of the US's problems can be fixed by hiring a manager who isn't a narcissistic idiot. I thought Tata was a decent manager and not the problem for y'all but I guess we'll see.

Yea and the USMNT needs to avoid the Mexico trap of talking about that one forward that is clinical. Mexico had one in Hugo but no one that was a precise enough passer to get him the ball. Also, great teams have several players that put it in the back of the net when given the chance not just one savior.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

They'd have to beat Argentina and then Brazil to make the final

1-11 those teams are better than the Dutch but it’s not as though the Dutch don’t stand a chance. They have probably the best defense in the tournament. You need excellent midfield runners to beat them and pressure their back three. Beating them with your forwards just isn’t going to be very successful most days.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Every thread on the football board ends up with you telling half the thread they don't know what they're talking about.  And a lot of the time that's true.  But it was just a couple of years ago that you didn't know what you were talking about, but you posted as if you did.  And all the people who've been in these threads for many years were a lot more patient with you about it.  So, maybe you could be a little more patient with the newcomers, lest this whole board just turn into the ztejas-knows-more-than-you show?

Sorry, man, you post a lot of good stuff, too, but this shit is annoying.

I know who I am and at times I dislike it more than a lot of you dislike it. I try and be a better person every day but unfortunately this board is an outlet for a lot of my nastiness.

I wasn't being a dick by my standards in this thread. I just wasn't. I apprently offended two people. 

@Bama Chick @Pig Bellmont

Y'all understand it isn't anything personal. This is my dojo. I really, really, really, really care about this shit. 

I would never suggest that someone can't participate in a thread like this even if it's their first time watching soccer. 

Just know I'm going to be posting. A lot. And you might catch a couple shots if you post something I disagree with. 

I mean, y'all know where you are. This is Surly. Let's not beat around the bush. 

Proud of these guys for making it out of the groups. I appreciate everyone that tuned in and supported them whether you watch every Bundesliga game or you only watch soccer every 4 years. 

We're gonna be better 4 years from now. A lot better. Follow the journey or just tune in once we're in it. I don't care but know that your boy is out there and if he's had a few coca colas he might tell you you're a dumbass. 

Just keep it even and tell me I'm a dumbass back. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I know who I am and at times I dislike it more than a lot of you dislike it. I try and be a better person every day but unfortunately this board is an outlet for a lot of my nastiness.
I wasn't being a dick by my standards in this thread. I just wasn't. I apprently offended two people. 
[mention=332]Bama Chick[/mention] [mention=898]Pig Bellmont[/mention]
Y'all understand it isn't anything personal. This is my dojo. I really, really, really, really care about this shit. 
I would never suggest that someone can't participate in a thread like this even if it's their first time watching soccer. 
Just know I'm going to be posting. A lot. And you might catch a couple shots if you post something I disagree with. 
I mean, y'all know where you are. This is Surly. Let's not beat around the bush. 
Proud of these guys for making it out of the groups. I appreciate everyone that tuned in and supported them whether you watch every Bundesliga game or you only watch soccer every 4 years. 
We're gonna be better 4 years from now. A lot better. Follow the journey or just tune in once we're in it. I don't care but know that your boy is out there and if he's had a few coca colas he might tell you you're a dumbass. 
Just keep it even and tell me I'm a dumbass back. 

No worries. All our emotions were running high and we all love this team despite them continually breaking our hearts.

🤍
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I think any of the traditional teams that come out of the round of 16 are going to be dangerous to win this thing. They are all going to be good.  That includes the Netherlands.

Yeah, I mean France is missing Benzema, Brazil will have gimpy Neymar (if at all?), Argentina has looked shaky.  Why not Netherlands?  Or, gasp, England??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

No worries. All our emotions were running high and we all love this team despite them continually breaking our hearts.

emoji3590.png🤍emoji170.png

All love right back at you. You know I've never had a problem with you chica. Pulisic is not a good set piece taker. He managed to be fairly competent today. 

I'm always going to nitpick shit during games. Follow a Chelsea thread when I'm watching and it's basically me complaining about something every 10 minutes without anyone else posting. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I'm always going to nitpick shit during games. Follow a Chelsea thread when I'm watching and it's basically me complaining about something every 10 minutes without anyone else posting. 

I can corroborate that, lol.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol fuck no

He’s annoyed me for decades.

You just know Deuce wants to fight his ass.

I don’t get the Alexi hate. I have always liked him as one of our foundational players during the 1994 WC run and look forward to him revealing his top 10 list. He’s a run of a mill American pre and post game studio host.

Edited by Macklemore

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

All love right back at you. You know I've never had a problem with you chica. Pulisic is not a good set piece taker. He managed to be fairly competent today. 

Agree. would rather see him able to take advantage of a nice pass coming to him. Need him sitting on the 18 ready to pounce, not pounding it into the middle. 

But I think we relied way to much on him in part since he plays for Chelsea (when he gets to play). Boy has instinct in the box. Why waste that? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree. would rather see him able to take advantage of a nice pass coming to him. Need him sitting on the 18 ready to pounce, not pounding it into the middle. 

But I think we relied way to much on him in part since he plays for Chelsea (when he gets to play). Boy has instinct in the box. Why waste that? 

Yeah despite his size he's dangerous in the box. 

I'll give Gergg a gift basket but a better manager could have won this game today. CCV and Reyna should have started. No manager is overcoming our defense at fullback but on paper this is closer to the 8th best team in the world than the 16th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is exactly why I hate the adage of "man they've dominated the game but it's 0-0 at half".

If you dominate the game the score sheet reflects it. The game is about scoring goals. 

Also an over-simplification especially in soccer. You CAN dominate a game, pepper the team with a ton of shots and just be unlucky or the other keeper out of his  mind and not score.

It’s nuance of the game. And it’s understanding how that nuance works to understand how you can dominate a scoreless game. 

7 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I don’t get the Alexi hate. I have always liked him as one of our foundational players during the 1994 WC run and look forward to him revealing his top 10 list. He’s a run of a mill American pre and post game studio host.

Dude is a shithead. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the question was on the us attack, was it too crowded to get the ball through or do anything with it

This. If felt like we were all too close and often standing around, allowing the Dutch to clog lanes of attack.  But I’m an amateur at this.

• Hook 'Em 1