USA World Cup Match 4: Netherlands

The Earl of Texas

Plenty, most of the smaller countries hire these guys. We used to. I would not be opposed to this guy.

Haha yeah he's the poster boy. Coached in Vietnam, Ivory Coast, Angola, Saudi Arabia, and a bunch of other places where nothing scared him. And did so in every one of those places dressed in a crisp white shirt.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the question was on the us attack, was it too crowded to get the ball through or do anything with it

Oh. If we’re talking about attack it’s because we have no strategy.  We simply cross the ball in blindly. We have no tactics to break a defense down. That’s 100% on Gregg. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This. If felt like we were all too close and often standing around, allowing the Dutch to clog lanes of attack.  But I’m an amateur at this.

We just don’t have anything that is designed for us to bring the ball up the middle. These are our “tactics”. If it were me I would have aaronson and Gio at attacking kids trying to play off each other and break down the middle. CP and Weah would be the two wingers in a 4-4-2 and see if we can make things happen that way.

In the end, when you play a 4-3-3 without the personnel or strategy for the other team to respect/defend and blind crossing is your only strategy, they can pack it in and block it all up.

Gregg is just as amateur as any of us on this and it’s why we’re going home today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't think argentina is all that great either. i think that a well coached usmnt could have beaten both the netherlands and then argentina. 

You're drunk. 

I mean, I am too, but spade a spade and all that. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're drunk. 

I mean, I am too, but spade a spade and all that. 

argentina has never been that great to me during the messi era, and i felt that their squad the last time around was the best one they'd had. or maybe it was two WCs ago, can't remember. either way, argentina has not impressed me for some time now, and i see this argentina team as one of the weaker teams they've ever had in the messi era. spain, brazil, france- sure, there's no cosch who's realistically going to have this USMNT beating those teams. but teams like holland and argentina? yeah, we could beat them with a better coach/starting xi. 

Everything about this was fun. Our lead up had ups and downs but fun to watch that team come together, giving up penalty to Wales was my biggest disappointment but came after 80 minutes of fun, England game made me proud of the D, and Iran was a very, very fun game.

We may have lost by two but my pulse was up the whole time. Great, GREAT job by the midfield today.

Good on you boys 🇺🇸

Edited by The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

1-11 those teams are better than the Dutch but it’s not as though the Dutch don’t stand a chance. They have probably the best defense in the tournament. You need excellent midfield runners to beat them and pressure their back three. Beating them with your forwards just isn’t going to be very successful most days.

Yeah, the Dutch were sitting back waiting for the ball to cross midfield and time after time took it away with ease and flew up the pitch on dangerous counters.

They really made it look too easy.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

argentina has never been that great to me during the messi era, and i felt that their squad the last time around was the best one they'd had. or maybe it was two WCs ago, can't remember. either way, argentina has not impressed me for some time now, and i see this argentina team as one of the weaker teams they've ever had in the messi era. spain, brazil, france- sure, there's no cosch who's realistically going to have this USMNT beating those teams. but teams like holland and argentina? yeah, we could beat them with a better coach/starting xi. 

I will have what you're having. If a not great team makes the World cup finals in 2014 and then gets knocked out 4-3 to the world cup champions in 2018, then I would love to have that kind of not great team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Such a stupid view of the game. We didnt dominate them at the start, they gave us that and waited patiently to do exactly what they did. They had a plan and executed. Exhibit Z of why Gregg needs to go. 

Seemed like they rope a doped us. This team looked tired from the get go and had some get scrambling moments. But the Dutch had legit ops against outmanned defenders.

38 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I will have what you're having. If a not great team makes the World cup finals in 2014 and then gets knocked out 4-3 to the world cup champions in 2018, then I would love to have that kind of not great team. 

My thoughts exactly.

'Tina is fucking nasty. They are still employing the greatest player to ever live and he's lost a step only if the other team is lucky.

@Napoleon

Greg is what he is - a mid tier mls coach. He got totally depantsed in tactics and team selection today. 1-11, the Dutch are better than we are, and Van Gaal closed the door on any real opportunity for the win. Happy to provide us with possession and dare us to be technical and tactical enough to break them down and finish. We have maybe 7-8 players capable of that level of play, and two started on the bench. Really love seen Jordan Morris coming in as our offensive punch in the 80th minute! Bull in a china shop, right?

We met expectations in this tournament, but did not exceed them. He should be lauded for transitioning the playing pool from the aged 2014-ers to a lot of young talent and winning some national team recruiting battles for Musuh and Pepi. Musuh is definitely a huge piece going forward. Greg should get a hearty “thanks” and we should look for a stronger manager going into the 2026 cycle.

Edited by eljinca
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Dude, we lost 3-1, and outside of the first 10 minutes, we didn’t really give the Dutch real trouble. If it wasn’t for  Turner, it could have been 5-1. The Dutch kind of manhandled is. At least Mack Brown had the intelligence to eat shit after the OU debacles.

Its like that scene in the Dark Knight Rises when Bane puts his hand in the guys shoulder and says “Do you feel in charge?”

Berhalter is a fucking clown. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

few things from a total casual:

1. I don't think we have options in the current pool of players to change the outcome today. We can talk all day about who should have been on the roster or who should have played instead of whom but I don't think it changes the result (a Dutch win). It was the younger guys making the big mistakes that led to goals and going with even younger options doesn't lead me to believe that it makes things any better. This shouldn't be a problem in 2026. All that said I think we really missed Josh Sargent today.

2. I think Gio was still not 100% fit and didn't want that to get out considering his history and Berhalter goofed in saying that. IMHO that's the most logical explanation why he didn't play more. 

3. All that said it's clear Berhalter was in over his head and shouldn't return. Van Gaal took him to school today.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, The Dog said:

1. I don't think we have options in the current pool of players to change the outcome today. We can talk all day about who should have been on the roster or who should have played instead of whom but I don't think it changes the result (a Dutch win). It was the younger guys making the big mistakes that led to goals and going with even younger options doesn't lead me to believe that it makes things any better. This shouldn't be a problem in 2026. All that said I think we really missed Josh Sargent today.

2. I think Gio was still not 100% fit and didn't want that to get out considering his history and Berhalter goofed in saying that. IMHO that's the most logical explanation why he didn't play more. 

3. All that said it's clear Berhalter was in over his head and shouldn't return. Van Gaal took him to school today.

For a casual you kind of nailed it.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, eljinca said:

Greg is what he is - a mid tier mls coach. He got totally depantsed in tactics and team selection today. 1-11, the Dutch are better than we are, and Van Gaal closed the door on any real opportunity for the win. Happy to provide us with possession and dare us to be technical and tactical enough to break them down and finish. We have maybe 7-8 players capable of that level of play, and two started on the bench. Really love seen Jordan Morris coming in as our offensive punch in the 80th minute! Bull in a china shop, right?

We met expectations in this tournament, but did not exceed them. He should be lauded for transitioning the playing pool from the aged 2014-ers to a lot of young talent and winning some national team recruiting battles for Musuh and Pepi. Musuh is definitely a huge piece going forward. Greg should get a hearty “thanks” and we should look for a stronger manager going into the 2026 cycle.

Another very good take. 

I hope I'm not policing the thread or hurting anyone's feelings here by supporting some non-regulars' contributions. Like I always would have. 

Edited by ztejas

I would say I am not sure 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I'm going to respond to these a little out of order:

2. Maybe, but he needed more than 52 minutes in our 4 games. In 10 days at the start of the November he played 4 games for Dortmund and averaged 50 minutes a game.

3. Absolutely and because of it ...

1. I am not sure I agree. But I also think that the coaching of this team was so suspect that it's really hard to say. This team was not put into position to have success. Given that, it's hard to see players that would fit into this system that would have had success.
But I also think that with the right coaching, you could have success and that other players COULD thrive and be difference makers in this environment. But again, it's hard to say because of #3.

4 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

well they've got God himself wearing no.10 on his back. replace Messi with Ronaldo and i don't think accomplish half of what they have with Messi. his mere presence on the pitch elevated the game of everyone around him. ive never seen them as a tier 1 team, i can put it to you like that. always tier 2 to me, a level below spain, germany, france, etc. i guess 2014 was probably a tier 1 team, but that was a long time ago now. 

52 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

2. Maybe, but he needed more than 52 minutes in our 4 games. In 10 days at the start of the November he played 4 games for Dortmund and averaged 50 minutes a game.

I think he got hurt in training with the USMNT and wanted to keep it quiet.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

They lost to Germany 1-0 in the final two world cups ago. 

Just now, Bullneck said:

They lost to Germany 1-0 in the final two world cups ago. 

like i said, that was their best team, a tier 1 team. since then i personally have never felt like they were as scary an opponent as other top flight teams. do you think they're clearly better than england? i don't, and we drew 0-0 with england. so how do you figure that we couldn't beat the likes of argentina it holland with a better coach with better tactics and a better starting lineup?

Lars Knudsen Appointed Set Piece Coach of U.S. Men’s National Team (ussoccer.com)

I missed this announcement, so I was surprised to hear we had a set piece coach. Mostly because it was clear we had no plan for set pieces, other than lobbing poorly struck balls into the box.

Nothing could be more US Soccer than hiring a coach who gives us nothing in return. Either that, or Gerg never used his advice which isn't much better.

Spinning our wheels...stuck in the mud

2006: Eliminated Group Stage

2010: Eliminated Round of 16, 1-2 Ghana

2014: Eliminated Round of 16, 1-2 Belgium

2018: Did Not Qualify

2022: Eliminated Round of 16, 1-3 Netherlands

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, pacman said:

Lars Knudsen Appointed Set Piece Coach of U.S. Men’s National Team (ussoccer.com)

I missed this announcement, so I was surprised to hear we had a set piece coach. Mostly because it was clear we had no plan for set pieces, other than lobbing poorly struck balls into the box.

Nothing could be more US Soccer than hiring a coach who gives us nothing in return. Either that, or Gerg never used his advice which isn't much better.

yep. this is by far the most talent the USMNT has ever had, and yet we went 0-1-2 in the group stage with two total goals, and then got totally outclassed in the KO stage by a Netherlands team that should scare no one of import. and yes, our set pieces were terrible. if you could prop bet on pulisic firing the ball low and into the first defender then id be a millionaire today. 

berhalter is a milquetoast, uninspiring, in-house hire who has moved the USMNT forward exactly zero paces despite having a plethora of talent who get big minutes in europe's best leagues. his contention that we should all be proud, and that we really sort of bossed the match against holland if you ignore the whole scoring goals part, are just more evidence that we wasted the last four years under his totally underwhelming leadership. can him tomorrow, and then bring in someone who has actual experience winning trophies and tournaments at the highest level. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

2002 continues to be our golden team, unreal, I wouldve never predicted that in 2002. I remember my dad and I talking about how we would be contenders for the whole thing in the 2020/2030s... we have not progressed

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Those first two Tweets are delusional. Nobody knows “what they are trying to do”. This team could be a team that people do not want to play against. Right now they are a collection of talented young players without much cohesiveness or guidance.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 2

2002 continues to be our golden team, unreal, I wouldve never predicted that in 2002. I remember my dad and I talking about how we would be contenders for the whole thing in the 2020/2030s... we have not progressed

In all fairness we haven’t produced another golden and silver boot like we did with Donovan and Beasley at their age.

I think this current crop will surpass what that crop of players did eventually but 2002 was a perfect combination of Youth and Vets leading the team. Then 2006 was an absolute disaster. All countries and teams are cyclical, we can bitch all we want but England has won nothings since 1966, Holland has won nothing since 1988. None of this is easy and needs to be appreciated.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

That team only earned 4 points in group play, then got lucky playing El Tri in the Ro16. We'd all take that matchup now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

That team only earned 4 points in group play, then got lucky playing El Tri in the Ro16. We'd all take that matchup now.

Naw man, that was a very tough group, it had a strong Portugal team/host and semifinalist Korea/and Poland. We beat a group winner Mexico team in the highest stakes showdown vs Mexico we will probably ever have. And then they took it to Germany and arguable should've won that game (a team that made the finals). And regardless of "easy path" or not, they have been further than any Mexico/USA team has ever been in the current format. 

Teams are remembered by their wins/successes, not their what ifs and almosts. And the 2002 team made me damn proud. It is very sad that no team has replicated their success since then.