USA World Cup Match 4: Netherlands

The Earl of Texas

I will give the caveat that it ain't hard to look like a genius when you're going up against an idiot like Berhalter.

We essentially played right into Van Gaal's strategy.  We have a shallow team whose main guys have played almost every minute of every game and are exhausted.  The Dutch have a strong defense and really like to counterattack.  So did we play conservatively, disciplined, and let our guys not wear themselves out and not allow the Dutch to kill us on the counterattack?  Fuck no!  We went balls to the wall, got completely out of shape, and let the Dutch do exactly what the fuck they wanted to do.  Played right into their hands. 

But hey, GGG says we dominated and it was just a bad break here and there that cost us the game so I guess we should all be thrilled with getting bounced in the Ro16 yet again. 

Also, someone needs to let GGG know that this ain't the group stage.  You somehow managed to not play super attacking football against a highly talented English squad with way more play makers than the Dutch and you held them to a draw.  You could have done the same thing in this game and had a chance to, ya know, win on penalty kicks. 

• Hook 'Em 6

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usa-world-cup-loss-to-netherlands-shows-need-for-more-depth-if-they-want-to-go-further-as-cohosts-in-2026/

Similar to what @SpiralOut points out - we're thin and we wore ourselves out after playing almost every minute.

We wore ourselves out due to both depth but also not properly subbing. Outside of Gio and Aaronson, would have actually preferred to see Scally and Yedlin get more time to spell our exhausted outside backs.

But this also goes back to not winning against Wales. If you win that first game, you have a lot more options to rotate the squad in the following games. This has been an issue we've constantly dealt with. We have to give everything to make it out of the group and have nothing left in the tank. 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usa-world-cup-loss-to-netherlands-shows-need-for-more-depth-if-they-want-to-go-further-as-cohosts-in-2026/

Similar to what [mention=2464]SpiralOut[/mention] points out - we're thin and we wore ourselves out after playing almost every minute.

Brutal

“In possession the US seemed constantly active, playing with the manic intensity of Scrappy Doo in front of a bad guy.”
  • Haha 5

After cooling off and avoiding thread and post game analysis

The two most frustrating for me were 

not protecting your midfield either with formation or tactics.  Gregg already showed we don’t have to play 4-3-3.  We don’t have a 9 and our midfield was on complete fumes at min 70 against Iran.  My wife, whose understanding of soccer consists of watching our kids and two seasons of Ted Lasso, would have come off looking like Nate Shelley yesterday.

and the personnel decisions.  This obviously includes the initial selection, but Christian needed to come off at half.  I understand giving him a go, but he was so obviously not fit.  I’ll even give Gregg a pass on grasping at straws with Jesus and then going back to Haji.  But the fact that Jordan Morris played in game of any consequence of the World Cup where we were within 8 goals of taking or giving up the lead - should have resulted in immediate dismissal following the whistle.  If Luca is too hurt, I would have rather brought on CCV and parked Zimmerman in the box to knock down balls and maybe challenge VanDijk.

Of course, besides tactics and personnel decisions - I’m not sure what other responsibilities fall under the managers purview.

• Like 4

haven't read a thing in 48 hours, so if i repeat someone else flog me

- poland are losing to france right now the exact same way we lost to nederland - cut apart for their first 2 goals while falling asleep for just a few seconds

- it's not that we don't have depth, we don't have the depth to rotate and play at the same level; we have 1 dest, 1 adams, etc.

- we are missing a big body that can occupy VVD in the box on set pieces: mcbride, onyewu, brooks someone like them would have made a difference

- turner, adams and dest all wrote themselves big checks

- parcells: we are who we are, and despite the talent elevation of the last 5 years with all of our best going to europe at the proper age, until we have an mbappe, we need to play to counter; we've always had our greatest success as a defend and counter team; we didn't have enough quality and class to overcome running out of gas

- i'm still contemplating gregg's job

• Like 1

Yeah, Turner is really damn solid. Hope he's in the pipes for us for a while. I wonder if someone won't come calling to buy him from Arsenal within a few years, the guy clearly can be a #1 for someone (and it could be Arsenal too).

He also takes a shot at the coaching in that too, talking about how the Netherlands had offensive ideas in the final third and he implies we did not. 

14 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Yeah, Turner is really damn solid. Hope he's in the pipes for us for a while. I wonder if someone won't come calling to buy him from Arsenal within a few years, the guy clearly can be a #1 for someone (and it could be Arsenal too).

He also takes a shot at the coaching in that too, talking about how the Netherlands had offensive ideas in the final third and he implies we did not. 

somebody flirting with europe or in a drop battle will come calling if arsenal fall off a little

but if arsenal remain top of table they will hold for the rest of the season in case they need him

he has several years to play with to find the right home at the right level going in to the '24-'25 season

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 10:39 PM, ztejas said:

Also Metro Boomin just dropped what I think is the best hip-hop album in I don't know how many years so there's that. 

RIP Takeoff. Go USA. Win it for Take. 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:42 PM, ztejas said:

Bitch check my 2022 

Screenshot_20221203-014144_Spotify.thumb.jpg.08603881af6ec7e84528f4570ddccb9f.jpg

you not lyin, that new Metro album is fire.

$B just dropped more songs.. Buckhead and Champagne Face tracks... ooooWeeeee heat!