Frisco state rep files bill to dissolve Austin city govt, create District of Austin

Beau Vine

A North Texas Republican is launching a fight to dissolve the city of Austin.

State Rep. Jared Patterson, R-Frisco, filed House Bill 714 and House Joint Resolution 50 last week that would create a new “District of Austin” to replace Texas’ capital.

Under his bill, the District of Austin would report directly to the lieutenant governor and speaker of the House of Representatives. All city money, contracts, leases and property, including records, would be transferred to the district.

“Elected officials in Austin have failed their city,” Patterson wrote on Twitter. “Record high taxes and crime are pushing folks out of the city, and their San Francisco wannabe policies force the state to come over the top on legislation each session.”

Matt Rinaldi, chair of the Texas Republican party, offered his support on Twitter, calling the bill a “good idea.”

The long-shot bill is extremely unlikely to pass in the next legislative session, which begins Jan. 10.

This isn’t the first time a Republican has pushed to dissolve the city of Austin. In 2019, State Rep. Briscoe Cain called for the Legislature to take over the state’s capital.

Many criticized Patterson’s proposal on Twitter, including Dallas City Council member Adam R. Bazaldua.

“This brazen attack on #LocalControl is not only an attempt to take away the will of the voters in Austin, but is a prime example of the waste of time and resources that occurs every session,” Bazaldua wrote. “Instead of focusing on legislation to improve the lives of Texans, we get games.”

Others questioned Patterson’s belief in small government and urged the legislator to focus on his Denton County constituents.

First elected in 2018, Patterson emerged this year as one of the most vocal proponents of banning books with LGBTQ content at Texas schools.

In addition to the Austin bill, the Frisco Republican filed a bill last week that would classify any venue hosting a drag performance as a sexually oriented business, subjecting it to the state’s strict laws regulating strip clubs.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB00714I.pdf

Prime example of a politician wasting his time on an issue that doesn't concern the constituents he represents. Theatrics to get a reaction. Complete waste of time.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think our State Legislature and Lt. Governor are among the few people that could fuck up Austin worse than it already is.  I guess Houston is next on the list.

Harris County has already been a target of the state.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The funny part to me is how many yahoo voters outside of Austin would applaud such a move.  He's playing to his base perfectly.   In contrast, I can't fathom giving two shits what goes on in Frisco.

The rest of the state seems to have really funny notions regarding Austin, based largely on nothing more than a visit or two.   Although central Texans also carry ridiculous notions about other parts of the state, especially West Texas.  I guess it's just the nature of such a large place.

• Hook 'Em 1

How many tax dollars have been, and will continue to be, wasted on this ridiculous, grandstanding pile of bull shit? 

If you just want attention for how much you hate Austin, just jump up and down and scream about it on the Capitol steps. I suspect it will be on every news channel in the state, and it won't waste hundred of hours of staffers times and discussion time on the floor.

Fuckwits.

• Hook 'Em 2

An article I read a few days ago about this bill noted that the staff for a bunch of legislators live full-time in Austin, which makes them become overly focused on our fair city. That's a new angle I've never considered before.

But this shit has been going on forever. With Austin's local partisan bent running counter to that of most rural and some suburban districts, we always have a target on our back. It's the same old Austin bashing. Of course, the big cities have been dealing with the same to a slightly lesser degree for a while now with the setting of population thresholds and other criteria that only a very few cities meet for specific pieces of legislation.

What's the most troubling for me is that the legislative and executive branches more recently have been taking other whacks at the notion of local control and "home rule cities" of all sizes by trying to wrangle more centralized power for the State. 

Frisco needs a ton of work - this is why more and more people are moving to Prosper, Celina, Gunter, etc

It's fucking crowded, congested, and the traffic is getting out of hand.  It's been among the fastest growing cities in America for years now and it shows.  If this guy wanted to make a name for himself, he'd partner with the colony and turn 423/Main into a much larger road and facilitate faster passing through to 121 and avoid all the shit @ the DNT/121.  Legacy off 121 looks like the road to Baghdad.  Get that fixed.  Lots of shit to focus on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

The funny part to me is how many yahoo voters outside of Austin would applaud such a move.  He's playing to his base perfectly.   In contrast, I can't fathom giving two shits what goes on in Frisco.

The rest of the state seems to have really funny notions regarding Austin, based largely on nothing more than a visit or two.   Although central Texans also carry ridiculous notions about other parts of the state, especially West Texas.  I guess it's just the nature of such a large place.

Plenty of people outside of Austin would hate to lose that $760 million that Austin ISD taxpayers were forced to send to the rest of the state instead of being used within Austin ISD.

https://www.austinisd.org/announcements/2022/04/06/recapture-from-austin-isd-reach-nearly-800-million-2022-23-en-espanol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Absolutely zero surprise when I found out his first name was Jared (just kept reading Rep. Patterson), that he was a fucking Aggie, and of course he lives in a suburban armpit like Frisco.  

Guy never shuts the fuck up about limited government and prudent fiscal discipline, and here he is advocating for massive state overreach and blowing a few million on something that's a complete non-starter.  

Of all the staffers I know on both sides of the aisle that live in Austin.  Not a single one has ever wished for Legislative takeover of Austin Government.  They all cite the same shit over and over again---cost of living, homeless trashing the city, and traffic.  Traffic is something that State Government can actually help with.  Will they?  Nah, why bother when we can waste millions and months of dumb shit like Jared Patterson.  Cost of living could be alleviated through some property tax relief or the returning of a majority of the rainy day surplus $26bn back to low-to-middle income folks in the form of rent relief or just a check.  Will the State Government do that?  Nah, fuck the staffers!  We obviously have plenty of homeless threads and that needs to be addressed ASAP.  The Staffers on both sides know too well that Austin is not the lawless dystopian wasteland that some at the Capitol try to make it out to be.  I mean there are tens of thousands of fentanyl dispensers around town which may be a problem.  Oh wait, those are hand sanitizer stations.    

But as NMAS posted, the only thing worse than Austin being led by Adler and this Council are dipshits like Patterson..  I've never been stuck on the access road to go pay my insane property tax bill in person being harassed by a panhandler and thought, "Hey, where's Dan Patrick and Briscoe Cain?  Let's get them in the mix!"  

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Fuckheads from Dallas and Houston like to shit on Austin but those fucksticks love coming to Austin to vacation because it's nothing like Dallas or Houston. If Austin were run like Dallas or Houston, all of Town Lake would be filled with a shitty boardwalk filled with shitty souvenir shops. It'd be another atrocious River Walk. All of the Barton Creek watershed and greenbelt would be developed and sub-divided. We'd have fucking chain restaurants everywhere. 

Give it time.  We're well on our way.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

That this backwards fuckhead aggy wants to pass a "look at me" bullshit legislation on Austin means that Austin needs to keep doing what keeps it Austin

Have you been to West Campus lately? Absolutely devoid of any character or charm, traffic out the ass, overcrowded as hell, hi rises going up everywhere...just awful

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Have you been to West Campus lately? Absolutely devoid of any character or charm, traffic out the ass, overcrowded as hell, hi rises going up everywhere...just awful

That was born out of necessity. Austin was/is short on housing and wanted/needed the students to be centrally located in West Campus, hence the need to up the max on building height. Much of the north areas where students used to live off campus are now fully family residential. This is why retail on the Guad north of campus is dead. Not many students transiting that way to and from their apartments.

12 minutes ago, texashorne said:

This thread seems like a wonderful opportunity to use the actions of one dipshit to shit on all the people in a city. I see some of you are already cashing in. 

I mean nobody needed this thread as an excuse to shit on Frisco.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

That was born out of necessity. Austin was/is short on housing and wanted/needed the students to be centrally located in West Campus, hence the need to up the max on building height. Much of the north areas where students used to live off campus are now fully family residential. This is why retail on the Guad north of campus is dead. Not many students transiting that way to and from their apartments.

Well, only cities can have zoning and most development rules. So developers are probably chomping at the bit for this to happen.

3 hours ago, texashorne said:

This thread seems like a wonderful opportunity to use the actions of one dipshit to shit on all the people in a city. I see some of you are already cashing in. 

Sorry we all rushed to judgement about this Patterson fellow and let it amplify our inability to appreciate the cultural, aesthetic, and communal gem that is Frisco, TX.  Everyone should be compelled to worship at the altar of random suburbs nationwide.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Sorry we all rushed to judgement about this Patterson fellow and let it amplify our inability to appreciate the cultural, aesthetic, and communal gem that is Frisco, TX.  Everyone should be compelled to worship at the altar of random suburbs nationwide.  

As a Dallas resident, I appreciate Frisco as a magnet that removes a lot of the people that fit the "Dallas" stereotype.

• Hook 'Em 1