Christine McVie RIP

Gil Bang

12 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Written and performed by Christine. One of the catchiest damn songs I've ever heard. Never get tired of it.

5 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

Maybe Chevy will show some respect and stop ruining that song for people by taking that stupid commercial off the air

I smiled when I saw the commercial. 

11 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

I’m an OG Tusk band member

I worked at a post-production house in Santa Monica from 2001-2003 and then at a different in Hollywood (Melrose b/n La Brea & Highland) from 2003-2005. Both places had the same tech guy. 

RICH FELDMAN 

He had photos of the Polaroid pinup 📌 board from the Tusk tour, because he worked on it.

He had just graduated from high school and (I think) that his dad wouldn’t pay for college, so he got a job as some kind of tech assistant and traveled all around wherever on that Tusk tour at 18 years old.

I know that somewhere along the way he picked up the nickname “Dig”- pronounced “Dij”, from the word “Digital”.

You may have met him along the way, don’t know. 

And yes, he posted about her passing. 
0769B554-4F34-446A-91AA-DD2927239EC8.thumb.jpeg.0a7ffc2e37dd49df760622b67daca9f6.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did you march DCI?

No, I never did the DCI thing, I was working pretty much full time to pay for school, so not a lot of spare time.

I really enjoy watching DCI & other corps competitions, most of those units are awesome. I can honestly say I probably wasn’t good enough back then.

7 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

No, I never did the DCI thing, I was working pretty much full time to pay for school, so not a lot of spare time.

I really enjoy watching DCI & other corps competitions, most of those units are awesome. I can honestly say I probably wasn’t good enough back then.

You were probably good enough.  I was fortunate enough to march Cavaliers back when I had enough chops to make the horn line.  10 years younger, I seriously doubt it.  Maybe close.

13 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I know the studio version was posted earlier, but wow.

Just an absolute master class in how to convey a great song.

I wish all the American Idol, The Voice etc. "singers" had spent more time listening to Christine and less time listening to Mariah Fucking Carey.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Very cool. 

Were you part of the Grammys performance?

That was from The Dance session. The youngsters got to perform. Us old timers had to make due with the original recording/video & playing with them in concert in L.A..

Back on topic, she was way underrated as an artist. Like someone said unthread, she could convey the message of the song without vocal gymnastics

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb and posit that @USC_TMB wins the award for highest-profile surly gig ever, even if that particular concert wasn't one of his years with the Trojan band.  Holy shit.

And, I love the look on Mick Fleetwood's face at the end, he's fucking rolling with it, surrounded by drummers.  LMAO.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 4

It’s obviously been happening for a bit of time now, but it kills me that the heros of my teens/early 20’s are starting to die of old age…I’m 42.  

I grew up a military brat and dad was stationed at Incirlik, Turkey from 93-96 so I only had my parents vinyl for music as the budding internet didn’t quite reach the corners of USAFE back then nor was Napster a thing yet.  Pop culture was strictly imported by kids coming in from the Freedom Bird, the BX was a good six months behind on CD availability and thus I got a fill of Fleetwood, Floyd, Santana,  Steppenwolf, Huey Lewis, etc from the old turntable as I made my mix tapes to carry around.

A decade later, in my starter house I bought as a young professional, I had an acrylic record frame I’d rotate stuff through as a display depending on my mood…from Born In The USA to Crosby Stills & Nash to a 45 of Deadmau5 “I remember”.  Rumours stayed there over a year.  Side 1 is about as amazing as one half of an album can be.  

So I guess my point isn’t so much about CM, one of the saner members of Fleetwood and arguably the best voice…may she Rest In Peace…but more about how an artist’s work, regardless of the medium, can become part of you as an anchor to a time/place that you didn’t realize was special until it’s gone.  As Nate said at the end of Six Feet “you can’t take a picture of this, it’s already gone”.  

I didn’t realize how good I had it…owning a home at 25, smokin weed and playing Wii with my best friend everyday after work, cleaning the house every Sunday morning to  Never Going Back Again or I’m On Fire blasting on my (my parents old) turntable.  Just me and the dog…who I had to put down last year

Fleetwood, and therefore CM, was a small but significant part of that bridge to ‘real’ adulthood…with Christine dying, it feels like a small but significant part of those memories died too.  Sucks but a reminder I gotta make the most of the time I have, hell in another decade I’ll be looking back with fondness to today when my kids are still young.  Perspective.  

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across this. It’s mostly Lindsey Buckingham with McVie in a supporting role singing backup and only playing keys with one hand. But it’s a nice, dreamy little tune. I didn’t even know the two had released an album together.

How I found this. As it happened I was watching Saturday Sessions this morning and they had music by Bonny Light Horseman. One of the guitarists in that band is Josh Kaufman. I was pretty sure I recognized him from other bands and that he also played on Move Brightly, a live concert webcast celebrating Jerry Garcia’s 70th birthday. I was correct, that was him, and at that time he was playing in The Yellowbirds with Sam Cohen who appeared with him on Move Me Brightly with Bob Weir and a rotating ensemble of other musicians.

A highlight of that show was when they played Eyes of the World and during the jam Josh and Sam were all smiles as the GD magic happened. There are some songs from that show up on YouTube but not Eyes. I search for it every now and then hoping someone has uploaded it so I can post it to the Grateful Dead thread but no one has, or if they have then it’s been removed. If you want people to buy the DVD, you probably don’t want to give that one away for free. All of that has nothing to do with this thread but searching for that Eyes is how I came across this Buckingham/McVie collaboration, oddly enough, so I thought I’d share.