Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

I was going to say Pearl Beer but apparently small boutique brand now.

Handy Andy (Missed out on the Piggly Wiggly)

Best - A Service Merchandise type place before Best Buy

I had not seen the Texaco brand in years but they are starting to pop up again.  

Certain car names disappear for a while and then come back like Bronco, Camaro, Impala, etc.  Will there be another Taurus or Chevelle?

Skaggs Alpha Beta

Scottrade and not long for this earth Ameritrade

Pony Athletics

They still exist, but not like they did.  PONY athletes Paolo Rossi, included Pelé, Dan Marino, Bob McAdoo, Nick Galis, Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Lawrence Taylor, Willie Stargell, Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose, David Thompson, Spud Webb, Darryl Dawkins and Wilson Chandler. The PONY brand has a strong heritage in boxing, endorsing Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, and Leon Spinks.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

American Motors

Always wanted an AMC Eagle.

Guess I have to settle for an Outback.

International Harvester

I inherited my grandpa's grain truck among other hardware/vehicles, which is on the family farm several hours away, but next summer I'm going to get it cleaned up and take stock (it hasn't been driven since the 90s).

Commodore

There's a somewhat thriving community, and there's been some "new" hardware come out that's C64/128/Amiga compatible (well it's emulating it).  Not the same, and crazy how they went from the top personal computer company to nothing in a short span of time, but then again, Atari, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Toys R Us and KB Toys hurt the most.  Do kids today even have toy stores?  Actually, let me rephrase: do kids today even have toys, or just smart phones?

Hell yes they do, and arguably it's even worse because the kids can see all the toys on Amazon.com, etc.

Oh, and Amazon sends out toy catalogs around the holidays.

And Target and Walmart beefed up their toy sections after Toys R Us went under.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Toys R Us and KB Toys hurt the most.  Do kids today even have toy stores?  Actually, let me rephrase: do kids today even have toys, or just smart phones?

This is the one I loved as a kid. There was one at Forum 303 in Arlington.

Winrock.jpg.bf7fe86e3bfb62e62d8b3508644b6b3c.jpg

Because they had these.

images.jpeg.bdd1345178dbd240a82c7f7cd65c3ff6.jpeg

I still have some.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Is there still an Oshmans Sports around? Used to hit that up at Northcross Mall as a kid and then go across the street to Swensens Ice Cream.

Also plus rep for the Hastings mention...I would go to the north side one in RR.

I think Oshmans was acquired.

I brought this up cheekily in the Kroger<>Albertsons merger thread, but Jewel Osco was my go-to grocery store (aging myself here).

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Once an American powerhouse, sold to Phillips in 1974, then resold to Funai but repo'd after they breached contract. Defense group was sold to Hughes Electronics then to Raytheon. They spun off the sonobuoy operation to form Under Sea Systems Inc (USSI). In 1998, Raytheon sold USSI to a British defense consortium named Ultra Electronics. 

This hits close to home.  I have worked for Ultra Electronics for 25 years.  Along with several other posters past and present.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Merry-Go-Round where I bought a rad pair of Panno D'or parachute pants to wear with my OP shirt and Kaepas. I worked over the summer before my freshman year of high school at K-Bob's for money to buy such fine attire. You bet your ass young Jerry was slaying it.

Merry-Go-Round was pimp central. Also, Miller's Outpost

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Howard-Johnson-s-0331-1567654941.jpg

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

There is still one left, in Beaumont.  

Also, on Howard Johnson’s, few people know that Jacques Pepin got his start working for HoJo’s.  

There is a HoJo motel (no diner) on I-10 in the Memorial Park /Heights area of Houston.

Speaking of Beaumont, there are not one but two Stuckey's there: they are pretty much across I-10 from each other.

Oh, and

image.png.a3f51770990c30ea22673e04204f8324.png

And of course

image.png.38c35c8ef30d1e265ad42c03714ed206.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My first taste of beer was a sip of my granddad's Jax that I snuck while bringing it to him from the fridge while he and my dad watched football on TV.

My dad still uses an old rust bucket International on the farm that was once a Jax beer delivery truck and still has the Jax name faintly visible on the driver’s side door 

hauled too many square bales to count on the flatbed he retrofitted to the chassis.

/csb

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1