Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

Anybody remember Baby Giant convenience stores?  I bought my first six pack of Coors in one when I was 14.  That was a big deal at the time not only because is was my first beer purchase AND I was underage, but Coors had only recently been made available east of the Rockies at that time.  Good times.

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Camelot Music 

Great first ‘real’ job at 17. High school girls & moms everywhere. 

4 hours ago, dimyh said:

Is there still an Oshmans Sports around? 

This was going to be my post. Highlight of a mall trip as a youngster, then they had the big stores later where you could shoot hoops/hit in a cage/putt/etc. 

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Merry-Go-Round where I bought a rad pair of Panno D'or parachute pants to wear with my OP shirt and Kaepas. I worked over the summer before my freshman year of high school at K-Bob's for money to buy such fine attire. You bet your ass young Jerry was slaying it.

Holy Fuck! Where you sporting a mullet as well?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sears was first knocked to the ground by Wal-Mart, and then was knocked out of the ring by Amazon.

It's always hindsight but too many big brands refuse to adapt because they see the adaption as hurting their traditional brand. Then you're Sears with only a handful (15?) full-sized stores left.

That was a self inflicted death by CEO. Sears started as a mail order company. Internet should have been a no brainer.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This likely won't register w/ most of you, but my contribution is Godchaux's.  They were the Dillards of Louisiana, when I was growing up in Baton Rouge in the 70s.  It's where we went to see Santa every year.

Mervyn’s was another department store like that.

We used to grocery shop at A&P in El Campo before they got a Stanley’s, then later an HEB.  Only HEB is still standing. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm sure a lot of you were disappointed when you found out it was a clothing store. 

kp7qpo1v37921.jpg

One of these was near my aunts house growing up. I remember laughing every time I saw it  thinking “so everyone just accepts that this is just the name of the store?”

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

One of these was near my aunts house growing up. I remember laughing every time I saw it  thinking “so everyone just accepts that this is just the name of the store?”

My first real job in high school, was selling in the Men's Department at the Weiner's on Research.  A couple years later I had moved on up to the Bealls in Northcross Mall.  So, this thread hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Best (the store)

Children’s Palace (if Toys r Us didn’t have the sega master system game we wanted, Children’s Palace across FM 1960 usually did)

Sports Town USA

Oshmann’s

If we didn’t whine for toys at Children’s Palace, sometimes we stopped at that Two Peso’s in the same parking lot afterwards. Good times. 

•  
10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Speaking of Beaumont, there are not one but two Stuckey's there: they are pretty much across I-10 from each other.

First time I visited my wife's small town in Western Kansas, she warned me there was only one restaurant in town and one tiny 4-aisle grocery store.  There was an abandoned restaurant with no signage at her interstate turnoff.  I asked what it was.  She said, "Well that was our second restaurant.  It was a Stuckey's.  But it closed down because the customers got too shady."  And I laughed and laughed for miles.  She didn't understand why and I could never properly explain it.  But somewhere out there in middle America is apparently a Stuckey's with just the absolute best people.  

OP is still around, I got a pair of their sunglasses about a year ago on a bargain rack.  I like 'em a lot.  

We're also conflating brands that are completely gone/outta business (like Oldsmobile) versus ones that just got renamed or absorbed into other companies.  Or something like Woolworth, once as ubiquitous as K-Mart...now only a handful survive in Europe and Southern Africa.  And some live on via the interwebs, like Tower Records.  

Not worthy of another thread probably, but would be curious what national brands y'all think will be the next to die.  Not some regional bank or grocery store that most people haven't heard of...but a national label/store that is next to go.  Aside from previously discussed Sears, I'd go with Kenmore appliances and iHOP restaurants.  

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'd go with Kenmore appliances and iHOP restaurants.  

Not sure I agree with you. Kenmore will be sold off, if it hasn't been already. It's a legacy brand name like Craftsman. Of course the quality won't be the same.

IHOP has a lot of small town restaurants that stay busy. They are an upscale DQ.

• Hook 'Em 1

A stroll down Congress Avenue: 

Reynolds Penland.

J.R. Reed Music Company. 

The Austin National Bank

The Avenue Cafe

Yaring's Fashion Window

Capitol Theatre, actually on 6th. 

Piccadilly Cafeteria

Gordon selling The Austin American about 3rd or 4th and Congress. The closest thing Austin had to a news stand. 

Step around the corner to 6th Street, Joe Koen Jewelers 

Help me out here, AB.

I guess these were more local than "Name Brands", but they seemed like a big deal when I was a kid.

Edited by Not that Bob
D'oh!

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Screen_Shot_2020-09-09_at_12.42.24_PM_bi

330px-Prodigy_logo.svg.png

As a double disappearance, Prodigy was started a joint venture by Sears and IBM.

Sears was into everything. I recall when they rebranded the Atari game system and games in the late 70s. While I considered that I had an Atari, almost all of my games were the duplicate Sears version. 

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

JC Penney technically is out of bankruptcy, but I don’t see it and retail stores like it surviving long.  You either need to be legitimately upscale or really cheap in retail now, not occupying that in between area like a bunch of the defunct stores named on this thread (Sears, Mervyns, Service Merchandise, etc.).

My (probably erroneous) hot take is Kentucky Fried Chicken would be dead already if they didn’t cheat and combine them with Taco Bell locations.  There are tons of better chicken chains now.  

Actually, on a more realistic fast food chain angle, how is Long John Silver’s still a thing?

Apparently, both KFC and Taco Bell are both on life support and shedding legacy pad leases left and right.  I expect more of them will combine together for a stoner/diabetic panacea.  Long John Silver's is shit, but their stores are small and they at least are pretty much alone in the fast-food seafood niche.  Which may beg another question.  

JC Penney is fucking baffling to me.  It's a "Department Store" that doesn't really have any departments.  It's no different in quality or selection to a TJMaxx/Ross/Marshall's product.  But those have an inherent advantage.  JCP "needs" 100-150k square foot, multi-level footprint.  Most discount clothiers need a 1/5th of that space and be shoved into almost any B-class strip center in the nation.  I sometimes think Simon is propping up J.C. Penney to avoid more screaming reminders about the deaths of most malls.