Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Love the Jason's salad bar.

Anyone remember the Wendy's "Super Bar" that came out in the mid-80s?  When it first opened, my buddies and I went there for off-campus lunch in high school, to load up on salad, soup, and baked potatoes for like $4.  One my dipshit friends makes a giant salad, sits down, starts eating it, and comments "man....this salad dressing tastes funny."   We all look at his plate and then him, all of us silent, till one of us finally sighs "that's chocolate pudding, dumbass."

He was not a bright dude.

YES.

One evening at our local Wendys (I was 20 or so) I was behind an older gentleman in line, and he just ordered the Super Bar.  They handed him his orange (or red?) plastic tray, and off to the bar he went.

He took his tray...walked up to that bar, and proceeded to load the tray up with food.  Not the plates or bowls...he used the tray as a giant plate for all of his food selections.

It was simulataneously both gross and hilarious.

He even went back for seconds.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

YES.

One evening at our local Wendys (I was 20 or so) I was behind an older gentleman in line, and he just ordered the Super Bar.  They handed him his orange (or red?) plastic tray, and off to the bar he went.

He took his tray...walked up to that bar, and proceeded to load the tray up with food.  Not the plates or bowls...he used the tray as a giant plate for all of his food selections.

It was simulataneously both gross and hilarious.

He even went back for seconds.

BOSS.  MOVE.  Respek.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As a kid, [Steak and Ale] was our "fancy dinner out" place.

Yeah me too. For medium-fancy dinners out, there was Bonanza, which is where I was introduced to salad bars. Fun fact: when I was a kid in Tennessee, Steak and Ale could not use that by state law, which banned the use of the name of any alcoholic beverage in a business name. So if you get to thinking it was our generation that invented pointless legislation, there was that. The restaurant chain went by Jolly Ox.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There's still one in Ft. Stockton.  It's where anyone who's anyone goes to see and be seen.  And no, I'm not kidding.  Hit there for dinner one night when we were there for work, and my colleague was shaking hands with everyone, people were wandering from table to table talking business.  Was the damndest thing.

K-Bob's is also the epicenter of fine dining in Bay City, where it stands kinda catty corner to that ugly ass Matagorda Cty courthouse. 

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah me too. For medium-fancy dinners out, there was Bonanza, which is where I was introduced to salad bars. Fun fact: when I was a kid in Tennessee, Steak and Ale could not use that by state law, which banned the use of the name of any alcoholic beverage in a business name. So if you get to thinking it was our generation that invented pointless legislation, there was that. The restaurant chain went by Jolly Ox.

K-Bob's is also the epicenter of fine dining in Bay City, where it stands kinda catty corner to that ugly ass Matagorda Cty courthouse. 

There’s a K-Bobs at Five Points where 77 meets 37. It often beckons on a Houston-RGV drive.

Of the “middlebrow weeknight steak”’ places I was partial to Sirloin Stockade.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I have to admit that I haven't really looked for it recently but when was the last time any of you saw a Juggs magazine behind the counter of your favorite C-Store?

I can’t believe there’s a market for any hard-copy nudie mags. The single reason I could think to buy one is if you’re a centerfold and want it as a keepsake.

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Adopted my son and daughter in that ugly ass courthouse, didn't eat at K-Bobs though.

12 hours ago, deadshank said:

BucciParmPastaExtension8X11 on Twitter: "Niners head coach Jim Tomsula  looks like every Spot Bilt shoe wearing, BIKE short totin' football coach  in 1977 http://t.co/vCvdy1h9My" / Twitter

Weirdly enough, for a long time, Spot-Bilt was the athletic shoe name for Saucony when they made football cleats and that coaches shoe.

They branched out into running shoes, ditched Spot-Bilt, and are probably bigger than ever.  Usually one of their models is a tippy-top rated running shoe year-in, year-out.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 4:54 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Mervyn’s was another department store like that.

We used to grocery shop at A&P in El Campo before they got a Stanley’s, then later an HEB.  Only HEB is still standing. 

Mervyn's was big in SoCal.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:08 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Bombay Bicycle Club, Fotomat.

When I was young, my big sis was a "FotoMate

On 12/1/2022 at 6:23 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sambo's.png

Ate at Sambo's in Santa Barbara a year or so ago? 

On 12/1/2022 at 7:33 AM, 66BUFF said:

s-l400.jpg

When I had that filthy, disgusting habit, Key was my go-to.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:11 PM, Deej said:

abandoned-fotomat-1a-960x741.jpg

see above

On 12/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, Rimbo said:

All over the place in SoCal here still.

I wouldn't call them "service stations", and I'm sure you would agree. They are convenience stores that sell gas. 

On 12/2/2022 at 6:54 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

spacer.png

We have a few out here

On 12/2/2022 at 5:25 PM, hookem48 said:

worked at Western Auto in high school 1980 in my small hometown. I must have put together 300 fucking bicycles/tricycles, toys for Christmas. Sold appliances, delivered/installed them, worked on small engine shit, sharpened chainsaw blades, swapped batteries out of cars. Hell I learned a lot working there.  We also had a White's Auto that was basically the same thing as far as I remember, they had already closed by then.

During that Howard Stern recent interview, Springsteen talked about buying his first guitar at Western Auto. 

And I have a .22 bolt action from Western Auto.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yep. Liked it, too. The one thing about salad bars, I get neurotic if ingredients get mixed. The worst is when someone splashes french dressing into something else because it’s so obvious. It just reminds me of all the filthy, sloppy people who pick over the salad bar. Jason’s is well maintained. 

Similar thing except I got extremely drunk at a party following a team building thing in Yankee- land. At the hotel the next morning I spooned a bunch of gravy from a chafing dish onto my biscuits (they were next to each other). Sat down, ate one whole biscuit and announced to the table that it was the worst gravy I’d ever had. 

“That’s oatmeal.” 

Oh my lord, whiskey out the nose, hysterical laughter,  choking...priceless. 

15 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yep. Liked it, too. The one thing about salad bars, I get neurotic if ingredients get mixed. The worst is when someone splashes french dressing into something else because it’s so obvious. It just reminds me of all the filthy, sloppy people who pick over the salad bar. Jason’s is well maintained. 

Similar thing except I got extremely drunk at a party following a team building thing in Yankee- land. At the hotel the next morning I spooned a bunch of gravy from a chafing dish onto my biscuits (they were next to each other). Sat down, ate one whole biscuit and announced to the table that it was the worst gravy I’d ever had. 

“That’s oatmeal.” 

I once heard Ricky Skaggs tell a story about Bill Monroe.  Some how, they ended up in Hollywood, and the craft services table was set up.  Monroe had never seen a bagel, and was bitching about "the worst donut I've ever had"

• Haha 4

My ex was in the marketing dept at Builder's Square HQ in SA when they were closing up shop. This was somewhere around '96 or '97, I think (I know she jumped to a similar job at McCoy's HQ in San Marcos after leaving BS). Her team was responsible for the weekly flyers BS produced. Things were pretty different back then, and manufacturers would send them samples of the items they wanted in the advertisement. The art department would then photograph it (on film), then it would go to the layout team, etc. Anyway, they couldn't sell the samples they'd receive so they had this massive store room full of stuff they were just giving out. Many workers made off with a pirate's treasure. We were living in an apartment so I didn't have a need for much of the stuff that was available which was a big loss on my part. I remember her getting me a couple hand tools and an insanely good leather tool belt that a few years ago after having barely used it I gave to my sister's boyfriend who was a contractor. But the big item she got me was a 12-part DIY set on home maintenance...on VHS. 

On 12/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

For anyone who was in grades 6-10 in the 1990s:

image.jpeg.913a28f2e278d97f7e5f736ad396a939.jpeg

image.jpeg.eb98f6197b09e665ba378399cc6faf0d.jpeg

Reminded me of these stickers from the 80s. I think it was a neon t-shirt company or something but the primary way I saw them was on the back window of just about every other teenager's pickup or car in my hometown.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, orange dream said:

image.jpeg.eb98f6197b09e665ba378399cc6faf0d.jpeg

Reminded me of these stickers from the 80s. I think it was a neon t-shirt company or something but the primary way I saw them was on the back window of just about every other teenager's pickup or car in my hometown.

Oh hell yes. Here’s something else you don’t see— dealer special editions and customs.

Bert Ogden Chevy in the valley back in the late 1980s and 1990s sold the “Wild Child.” It was a two-tone, slightly lowered Chevy pickup with “Wild Child” airbrushed onto the tailgate. The commercial feature Johnny Canales, who hosted a legendary local variety/Tejano music tv show announcing that the truck was indeed a “real Wild Child.” Those things sold like crazy. 

image.jpeg.90c536f856ee22735a387c3a060ce689.jpeg

image.png

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 12/5/2022 at 3:12 PM, Don Johnson said:

Steak and Ale was awesome

My buddy worked at the Steak and Ale on I10 at Wilcrest back in the day.  He was shot in the back with a shotgun and left for dead during a robbery attempt in the ‘80’s.  Still has BB’s embedded in his back. /csb

I miss the original Academy when it was more on the surplus side.

My hunting trip etc sleeping bag is still a down US army surplus sleeping bag I bought at the academy on Gessner in 1987 before a cold weather camping trip. Love that sleeping bag. But the down has definitely lost some loft over the past 35 years.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Vintage photo of the Augusta Georgia Army & Navy Surplus Store | Army navy  store, Army navy surplus, Army & navy

I guess these still exist somewhere, but they used to be everywhere and were a goldmine of random shit. Used to shop at one near Alaskan Way in Seattle to buy denim dungarees. They were still in the uniform code, but none of the uniform shops stocked them anymore. Beat the hell out of the polyester work unis. Good source of cheap boondockers, too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mbtex said:

I miss the original Academy when it was more on the surplus side.

The apocryphal story that goes around in Austin business circles is that the IRS challenged the valuation of Academy stock on the estate tax return when the founder died (Gotchman, or something like that).  The IRS used a valuation based upon comparables from major retailers rather than from a true Army/Navy Surplus store.

That supposedly opened the eyes of the heirs as to how much potential the company had if they moved towards being a more standard retail operation.  Goodbye to Academy Surplus and hello to Academy Sports + Outdoors -- 250+ stores and counting.

• Like 2