Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

56 minutes ago, RPM said:

Vintage photo of the Augusta Georgia Army & Navy Surplus Store | Army navy  store, Army navy surplus, Army & navy

I guess these still exist somewhere, but they used to be everywhere and were a goldmine of random shit. Used to shop at one near Alaskan Way in Seattle to buy denim dungarees. They were still in the uniform code, but none of the uniform shops stocked them anymore. Beat the hell out of the polyester work unis. Good source of cheap boondockers, too.

I know there was one kinda close to the FW stockyards about 7-8 years ago.  But I haven't been by there in years. 

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

I know there was one kinda close to the FW stockyards about 7-8 years ago.  But I haven't been by there in years. 

Used to be a great one on North Main a couple blocks north of 28th. They had TONS of radio, electronics and large surplus stuff like Deuce and a Halfs. Operated out of 2 Quonset huts with a big yard in the back. Last one I saw was on Pipeline, but it was more of a variety store. Not much military gear.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:32 AM, Gil Bang said:

I once heard Ricky Skaggs tell a story about Bill Monroe.  Some how, they ended up in Hollywood, and the craft services table was set up.  Monroe had never seen a bagel, and was bitching about "the worst donut I've ever had"

When visiting San Antonio, Gerald Ford thought he would be go local and eat a tamale w/ his hands. Nobody told him to remove the husk first.  Among the many things that cost him the election.

gerald-ford-tamales-1.jpg?resize=800:*

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My hunting trip etc sleeping bag is still a down US army surplus sleeping bag I bought at the academy on Gessner in 1987 before a cold weather camping trip. Love that sleeping bag. But the down has definitely lost some loft over the past 35 years.

I bought a similar bag at Friedman's Army / Navy in Nashville in 1989. My girlfriend went out of town and well, there were these two strippers kinda crashing over at my place at the time, and so we had a threeway. No pics but it was a skinny blonde and fa rizz-headed ginger with a glorious rack....So, threeway, yadda yadda I get the crabs.

Which I in turn passed on to my gf.

Using all the bullshit my 19-year-old manchildwhore-brain could muster, I blamed the surplus sleeping bag. "Damn we might have some crabs from Nam," I said. "Can't they like, sleep for 20 years? Or more? We might be casualties of the Tet Offensive."

Although she was a Vandy chick, and thus ostensibly very bright, she believed me. Or pretended to, anyway.

Some context for you young uns. Crabs were lice you got in your pubes. I imagine they are a threatened species now chicks are shaving. Also, there was no Internet then so she couldn't check up on my story of the Methuselah crabs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PTINS said:

Austin Venues

Armadillo World Headquarters, (used to sell more beer than the Astrodome)

image.png.9e162c7a64bb6684a11ca69cbc5faf35.png

image.png.1fbdb38ffe5d93013c87a45166d380fd.png  61+fYMhvziL._SY580_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTANNdDVLXifZ14nEHxNsl

MS00ODM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

ghows-TX-f074f5e2-e106-48d0-a8b1-b5100f5

image.png.934093f142b887df93858f9f22aa9d43.pngimage.png.4a9a638b326be73b6531c27744658555.png

image.png.2256aa310e9c252bb8437b067927af04.png

image.png.768353267e547b7954f9050f4f6e8464.png    

Original Schlotzsky's

image.png.e799e25d223b54a69f427ec1b62dae99.png

image.thumb.png.e31ddc75a251ac8af638dfc0c32e62e6.png

image.png

Ok.many, many beers and some chemicals later, was Austin Opera House where Stevie did a 2 night stand for his live album?

I went to 1st night and (somewhat) remember it was a great show. Also remember it was super great before when he did Antones. 

17 year old Deej helped his neighbor who played keyboards for Junior Medlow set up his gear opening for the Fabulous Thunderbirds at the Austin Opera House. Hung out in the green room drinking beer and Jimmie Vaughan asked me to put his guitars out on the stands for their set

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, PTINS said:

Austin Venues

Armadillo World Headquarters, (used to sell more beer than the Astrodome)

image.png.9e162c7a64bb6684a11ca69cbc5faf35.png

image.png.1fbdb38ffe5d93013c87a45166d380fd.png  61+fYMhvziL._SY580_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTANNdDVLXifZ14nEHxNsl

MS00ODM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

ghows-TX-f074f5e2-e106-48d0-a8b1-b5100f5

image.png.934093f142b887df93858f9f22aa9d43.pngimage.png.4a9a638b326be73b6531c27744658555.png

image.png.2256aa310e9c252bb8437b067927af04.png

image.png.768353267e547b7954f9050f4f6e8464.png    

Original Schlotzsky's

image.png.e799e25d223b54a69f427ec1b62dae99.png

image.thumb.png.e31ddc75a251ac8af638dfc0c32e62e6.png

image.png

Some great memories there.  I spent many a drunken evening at the Armadillo during my time on the 40 and took home more than a few big titty sorority girls from the Silver Dollar.  Also, once got smacked in the head with a beer pitcher by a chick in the Back Room.  I sometimes wonder how I graduated.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

British Knights

Troop

Diadora

I have zero recollection of those last two, but there was a hot minute in the early 90's (IIRC) where it looked like British Knights was gonna supplant almost every other shoe brand save for Nike.  I can't remember but they got some fairly big athlete names to endorse for a first day of school or two back then, it was just as cool to wear British Knights to campus as any other brand including Nike.  And then by the time I could drive a stick shift and finger a girl, they were nowhere to be seen.  Not even at the discount shoe stores we had to shop at growing up for lack of funds.  Total crash and burn.  

You could say that about so many late 80's-mid 90's apparel and shoe companies.  JAMS, Z Cavarrici, Mossimo, Stussy, et. al.  My kids are still young and I buy boring old man attire from catalogs, but I still get out to a mall every now and again and it just seems like big, hip clothing brands aimed at younger people just aren't a thing anymore.  Back then, every bold brand had a corner of the store with neon lights and schwag and signage.  Now, it's like "There's boys shoes, there's a small rack of Polo still, and then a bunch of assorted off-brand shit."  

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 9:59 AM, CycleTex87 said:

My buddy worked at the Steak and Ale on I10 at Wilcrest back in the day.  He was shot in the back with a shotgun and left for dead during a robbery attempt in the ‘80’s.  Still has BB’s embedded in his back. /csb

So, he'll bbbbb back?

On 12/7/2022 at 11:38 AM, RPM said:

Vintage photo of the Augusta Georgia Army & Navy Surplus Store | Army navy  store, Army navy surplus, Army & navy

I guess these still exist somewhere, but they used to be everywhere and were a goldmine of random shit. Used to shop at one near Alaskan Way in Seattle to buy denim dungarees. They were still in the uniform code, but none of the uniform shops stocked them anymore. Beat the hell out of the polyester work unis. Good source of cheap boondockers, too.

Loved those stores...

Damn I suddenly feel old.

Yeah, if you're taking about the Quonset Hut behind that Exxon...it's still there and going strong.  I pop in there every once in awhile for camping gear. 

I remember going in there after graduation, literally day after with the $100 I got as a family gift.  And bought a bunch of gear I needed for my post-graduation camping tour of the western U.S. national parks system.  I already had a tent but bought all other kinda shit like shovel, foldable chair, shower bag, water tablets, cargo pants, tent footprint, etc.  All kinda shit and then some.  And still had like $30 left over which I blew my first night in a bar near White Sands, N.M.  

e138ea7e50e65f8f465865fee785ae6e.jpg

There’s one or two in Longview and another couple in Tyler.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, Deej said:

17 year old Deej helped his neighbor who played keyboards for Junior Medlow set up his gear opening for the Fabulous Thunderbirds at the Austin Opera House. Hung out in the green room drinking beer and Jimmie Vaughan asked me to put his guitars out on the stands for their set

Teenage Jerry was in a Fabulous Thunderbirds' music video taped at the Austin Opera House.  How Do You Spell Love.  I think the video played on MTV once.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I saw Ministry with KMFDM and the Skatenigs play at the Austin Opera House my freshman year.  Life changing event.

Hung out backstage with Joe King Carrasco there in 1990, I think (we'd helped put together the show).  I thought it would be a lot cooler than it was.  Joe was much mellower than he'd been in his youth.  Plenty of sparkling water and healthy food.  Although he did hit the bottle of tequila we had back there, and told a few stories that I just can't remember.  I was more interested in parlaying my backstage access into impressing some impressionable young ladies, and it didn't pan out, so Brisket was mostly just a disappointed dude.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was more interested in parlaying my backstage access into impressing some impressionable young ladies, and it didn't pan out, so Brisket was mostly just a disappointed dude.

Same.  There was some serious debauchery going on back there, but sadly young Dixon did not make a love connection.  But I did get left behind my my crew.  We took three cars and they all thought I was in the "other one"...at least that's what they told me.  Ended up getting a ride home from Troy, the West Campus bus driver who always played loud industrial and alternative music on the bus.

On 12/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

On 12/7/2022 at 12:41 PM, RPM said:

Used to be a great one on North Main a couple blocks north of 28th. They had TONS of radio, electronics and large surplus stuff like Deuce and a Halfs. Operated out of 2 Quonset huts with a big yard in the back. Last one I saw was on Pipeline, but it was more of a variety store. Not much military gear.

Omaha supply?

Omahas Military Surplus
(817) 332-1493
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jzndkQehNbcLdbwDA

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Teenage Jerry was in a Fabulous Thunderbirds' music video taped at the Austin Opera House.  How Do You Spell Love.  I think the video played on MTV once.

I know a woman who was in Billy Idol's "Flesh for Fantasy" video. 

• 2 months later...

For the old school Steak & Ale fans. 

The Steak and Ale restaurant chain, founded in North Texas, is making a comeback, and officials announced this week that its first Dallas-Fort Worth location is planned for Grand Prairie.

Steak and Ale closed its original restaurants after declaring bankruptcy in 2008.

In January, parent company Legendary Restaurant Brands announced the signing of a development agreement with Endeavor Properties to open new locations in several markets throughout the United States, according to RestaurantNews.com. New restaurants also will include locations of the company’s brands Bennigan’s and Bennigan’s On The Fly. 

“The revival of Steak and Ale has truly been a labor of love for our team, and while we were eager to reintroduce the brand, we understood the importance of finding the ideal partner first,” said Paul Mangiamele, chairman and CEO of Legendary Restaurant Brands, in a news release. “We believe we found that partner in Endeavor. They understand how much our loyal guests miss the polished casual steakhouses and the value-driven, family-friendly food and service at Steak and Ale, just as they long for the signature Bennigan’s menu and memorable dining experiences. We’re looking forward to growing together through this exciting relationship.”

Grand Prairie Mayor Ron Jensen confirmed to WFAA-TV that the restaurant is expected to open a location in the city off of Interstate 30 in 2024. 

The Steak and Ale menu will feature past favorites, including its popular unlimited salad bar and a variety of steaks, as well as new offerings such as a prime rib carving station. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

their timing is impecable.

went BK in 2008 due to the mortgage backed securities economy downturn financial crisis....

announces plans to reopen 16 years later, skipping the largest bull market in history, only to open most likely in the middle of another economy downturn

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Was coming here to post that 

Steak & Ale launches comeback, starting in North Texas | wfaa.com

Originally, they were going to re-open in Oklahoma and a few other places, and it was in doubt whether they would be coming back to Texas (because of all of the steak places), but I will be taking my kids there (assuming they make it like the original decor) when we pass through the area.

• Like 1