Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

For the old school Steak & Ale fans. 

When we left Europe and moved back to the states in '86, I remembered seeing the TV ads for Steak and Ale and thinking "This must be one of the fanciest places in the country!". Then I went once as an adult and I said to myself "Really? This?". 

For the old school Steak & Ale fans. 
The Steak and Ale restaurant chain, founded in North Texas, is making a comeback, and officials announced this week that its first Dallas-Fort Worth location is planned for Grand Prairie.
Steak and Ale closed its original restaurants after declaring bankruptcy in 2008.
In January, parent company Legendary Restaurant Brands announced the signing of a development agreement with Endeavor Properties to open new locations in several markets throughout the United States, according to RestaurantNews.com. New restaurants also will include locations of the company’s brands Bennigan’s and Bennigan’s On The Fly. 
“The revival of Steak and Ale has truly been a labor of love for our team, and while we were eager to reintroduce the brand, we understood the importance of finding the ideal partner first,” said Paul Mangiamele, chairman and CEO of Legendary Restaurant Brands, in a news release. “We believe we found that partner in Endeavor. They understand how much our loyal guests miss the polished casual steakhouses and the value-driven, family-friendly food and service at Steak and Ale, just as they long for the signature Bennigan’s menu and memorable dining experiences. We’re looking forward to growing together through this exciting relationship.”
Grand Prairie Mayor Ron Jensen confirmed to WFAA-TV that the restaurant is expected to open a location in the city off of Interstate 30 in 2024. 
The Steak and Ale menu will feature past favorites, including its popular unlimited salad bar and a variety of steaks, as well as new offerings such as a prime rib carving station. 
Always loved Bennigans.

Can we get Tony Romas back next?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Steak and Ale was for the 80’s poors and the nouveau urban cowboys. Gallaghers Steakhouse on the Gulf Freeway in Houston was the place to be.

Oh check it out, we got us a fucking ROCKEFELLER over here. Gallagher’s - what, would you roll up their in your Rolls Royce?
We had my high school graduation lunch at Steak and Ale, and we felt like BIG SHOTS, but we knew we couldn’t even talk to the Gallagher’s crowd.
Although I confess….when my parents were feeling super fancy, on a date night, they’d go to the Velvet Turtle (now another strip club on the SW freeway). That place had finger bowls. That means it was high-class.
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh check it out, we got us a fucking ROCKEFELLER over here. Gallagher’s - what, would you roll up their in your Rolls Royce?
We had my high school graduation lunch at Steak and Ale, and we felt like BIG SHOTS, but we knew we couldn’t even talk to the Gallagher’s crowd.
Although I confess….when my parents were feeling super fancy, on a date night, they’d go to the Velvet Turtle (now another strip club on the SW freeway). That place had finger bowls. That means it was high-class.

I on the other hand, had my HS graduation dinner at Bennigan's and our shit did not, in fact, stink.  Deep dish apple cobbler for the win!

also, *there

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, Don Johnson said:

The most expensive television in America - and worth it.

I showed this to my elderly father, as most of the family had one of these in their houses at one point.   His comment was, "Fourteen months, tops!"  I remember them lasting forever, but he wasn't impressed apparently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I showed this to my elderly father, as most of the family had one of these in their houses at one point.   His comment was, "Fourteen months, tops!"  I remember them lasting forever, but he wasn't impressed apparently.

Just looking at that commercial, I bet if you traveled back in time to 1970 you'd think that America was filled with nothing but old people.  It's just amazing how much older a 35-year old looked than than one looks today.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Just looking at that commercial, I bet if you traveled back in time to 1970 you'd think that America was filled with nothing but old people.  It's just amazing how much older a 35-year old looked than than one looks today.

If the next global crisis leads to a shortage of hair dye, botox, etc., and is coupled with a huge spike in cigarette usage,  we're all going to be reminded just how old a 35-year-old can look pretty quickly. 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, Brothahorn said:

The Steak and Ale menu will feature past favorites, including its popular unlimited salad bar and a variety of steaks, as well as new offerings such as a prime rib carving station. 

My main concern here is that the staff receive proper training such as seen here:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

hqdefault.jpg
image.jpeg.cf5324f7259db1dbfc40de7c65dfccb9.jpeg

I was on the Incredible Universe project from day one, which came out of a focus group we did to figure out what to do with McDuff stores. It was supposed to be the first store of the 90’s and was the last store of the 80’s. It was a great ride but a textbook lesson in great concepts, poor execution, and weak margins.

• 2 weeks later...
Teenage Jerry was in a Fabulous Thunderbirds' music video taped at the Austin Opera House.  How Do You Spell Love.  I think the video played on MTV once.

I owned a recording studio for a few years in Austin. One artist I recorded was the son of the director of several of the twisted sister music videos. He played the part of the teenage kid that turns into Dee in the “we’re Not Going to Take It” video.