Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

There aren't nearly as many as there used to be, but there are still a few around.  I know of one in Italy, just off I35, and another on I10 between Houston and Beaumont.

Yeah, that didn't sound totally right since I kinda sorta remember seeing one a few years ago and was blown away. According to their wiki entry, they've still been operating mostly as a pecan supplier with hopes of a come back.

Today, Stuckey’s has 65 licensed locations, a distribution center based in Eastman, a pecan and candy plant to make their own Stuckey’s products, an active online business, and some 200 retailers that sell Stuckey’s pecan snacks and candies. With fresh leadership, new acquisitions, and increased market share for Georgia’s homegrown nut, the pecan, Stuckey’s is on the rebound.[14]

Stuckey hopes to eventually own a handful of Stuckey’s interstate stores to revive the original premise behind the company as a “roadside oasis” while continuing to build up the candy making side of the business to secure its future for another 85 years.[15]

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Gibson's Discount Center.  Wiki says that there are two left using that name, both in Texas, but they are not part of the original company.  I used to walk halfway across Brenham to get my model planes and tanks at Gibson's.

There is a Gibson's in Weatherford. Was the goto place for ammo a couple of years ago, until I found a guy on a county road a few miles from us that can get about anything, and is priced right.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Green Stamps @slorch 

They Gip You

You know it.  My grandmother would save them all year long and keep multiple paper, grocery bags full of them for my cousins and my brothers and I when we would come down to their house at PK in the summers. We would get badminton sets, croquet, and… Wait for it… Lawn darts. Our grandfather who love, professional, wrestling and cheap beer, would sit there, and watch us try to kill each other, much to his delight.

Yes cheapo bullshit, but lots of great memories. Thus, the avatar.  Luckily, no one ever took a lawn dart to the leg or the neck.

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Once upon a time, Computer Shopper was the king.

If you're too young or you weren't a Nerd, you may not have even known this existed.   

Behold, shopping for computers and tech gear before the age of amazon.com:
EXylj8dXYAAzw-P.png

For better or worse this went the way of 56K Modems. 

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

Came across a few of those when going through some boxes this summer, and couldn’t throw them out.  Fucking amazing little slices of tech life.  I built many a PC daydreaming out of that.  I’m sure somebody has everyone of them digitized and online.

47 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Comp USA

Was a tech support monkey/manager at one in the 90s for a few years.  Was amazing how many Austin celebs came through there.

Even taught Cactus Pryor how to use some software.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dr. Porkenhiemer's Boner Juice.

Actually, the "disappearing brands" is interesting.  A good friend of ours has acquired several well-known but defunct or almost defunct brands.  Reviving/combining them with other product lines is the plan.  So, don't rule out seeing things like "Magnavox" make another run at relevance.

That can lead to some of the nastiest trademark disputes in the history of evar.

They're rarely clear cut, but those with "expiring goodwill" are a mess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dr. Porkenhiemer's Boner Juice.

Actually, the "disappearing brands" is interesting.  A good friend of ours has acquired several well-known but defunct or almost defunct brands.  Reviving/combining them with other product lines is the plan.  So, don't rule out seeing things like "Magnavox" make another run at relevance.

Zombie branding is pretty common for big chinese companies; see Polaroid and Nakamichi

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Where's the gotdam Dippin' Dots "The Ice Cream of the Future"?

There was a big patent and trademark dispute on Dippin Dots that I think blew up the original company as well as the infringers.

Guy I knew represented them.  Patent was invalid because the product had been sold more than one year before the filing date, but that dude kept that shit alive and billing the client waaaay past the expiration date of the litigation.  It was insane.

37 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Western Auto

Otasco

Monkey Wards

Used to go to Western Auto in Eagle Lake.  I think it was one of the last ones

29 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Eddie Bauer and its crossovers with Ford.

I had an Eddie Bauer Bronco in the mid 80's.  It was a great vehicle.

Just now, JMFP said:

301013251_479801067486351_86092742103535894_n.png?stp=dst-png_s960x960&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=fCqZz30Ix0AAX-5UBNO&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=00_AfC7QL77AAJm6O2DoNNWYG4kTHOsCE1H-P71rsfRl_rYjA&oe=638C2487

Before we had cellphones, in the field, we had pagers and a Worldcom MCI phone card.

Had that number memorized like a motherfucker.

I tell people about those days and they're like, "WTF is Worldcom MCI?"