Name Brands that disappeared

RPM

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Paragon to Time Warner Cable to Spectrum.

I gave a girl named Roxanne that worked at Eckerds a ride to and from work one time and she gave me a little something later that night. Anytime I see someone mention Eckerd Drug Store I think of Roxanne.

RRROOOXXXAAAN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Say what you will, but Bennigans could bring the fucking thunder when it wanted to......

WorlFamousMonteCristo-600x400.jpg

No doubt. Before the craft beer thing happened when I was still an undergrad and hanging out with HS friends back home, we had to drive all the way over to Midland to get a dark beer on draft. Pretty sure it was Beck's Dark that they had.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.  I still love me some JCI.  Shit, it was a golden era when there was actually one right here on Congress avenue in Austin, between 6th and 7th.  Grew up loving it, still do.  Hell, when our kids were young, one year for my wife's birthday dinner, that's where she ASKED to go.

I do think the "combination" model makes so much sense for the more "niche" fast food locations.  Have a combo hot dog place and chicken place, or whatever -- almost like a mini mall food court sort of thing, that could make them viable.

Treasured story of the Brisket clan.  Many moons ago, I decided I was going to be super helpful with back-to-school shopping, and on "tax free" weekend, I'd take the kids (not the wife, just me) on a well-planned assault on a variety of stores to get what they needed.  I plotted my journey using sales circulars etc.  Kohls actually had multiple items that we needed, so it was one of the first places we hit.  Out of like 12 things I expected to get there.....they were cleaned out, and I got maybe 2.  As we walked back to the car, I apparently muttered my opinion of the establishment audibly.

A couple years later, kids were visiting grandma, and they're drivings  dith own Westheimer.  They pass a Kohls.  "Hey grandma, do you ever shop at Kohls?"  "I guess a time or two.  Why?"  "Dad doesn't like Kohls.  Do you know what he says about it?"  "What?" [the kids look at each other, then answer in unison] "FUCKIN' KOHL'S!"

My mom called me right away to share the story and tell me I was busted.

Fuckin' Kohl's.

For whatever reason I did not grow up on JCI dogs, but when I worked downtown in Houston I'd hit up the Walker Street location on days when I was especially hungover. In those days (2000s) their specials were extra large Hebrew National dogs served either NY style (mustard, kraut); !Texas chili, or Chicago style. I'd mix in the Chi and NYC dogs with the standby chili dog and that, along with spunky service, a huge tea, and a vintage funk soundtrack would fix me right up.

Then Hebrew National discontinued those megadogs, I quit going, and that JCI went under.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

For whatever reason I did not grow up on JCI dogs, but when I worked downtown in Houston I'd hit up the Walker Street location on days when I was especially hungover. In those days (2000s) their specials were extra large Hebrew National dogs served either NY style (mustard, kraut); !Texas chili, or Chicago style. I'd mix in the Chi and NYC dogs with the standby chili dog and that, along with spunky service, a huge tea, and a vintage funk soundtrack would fix me right up.

Then Hebrew National discontinued those megadogs, I quit going, and that JCI went under.

I remember having a middle school football game scheduled for a Thursday night.  Some teammates and I decided we needed to eat dinner beforehand, so someone's mom (I remember K. Garcia being with us, he played WR) with a large vehicle toted 7-8 of us over to the JCI on Fondren (a Jones Fried Chicken now).  Maybe 2 hours before gametime, we all wolfed down like 4 chili dogs.  Then went and played football.  And we were fine.  Because 14 yr olds are bulletproof.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

My first car was a Saab 900 Turbo. Great looking car, engine/turbo system was shit.

Saab military/industrial is still huge. The auto division was just a small part of their business.

Mine was exactly like this one, but white:

27k-Mile 1980 Saab 900 Turbo 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for  $25,500 on July 10, 2022 (Lot #78,304) | Bring a Trailer

Mine was the Aero, which had a turbo inline 4 making like 250 horsepower, which was more then than it is now. But most of the horses seemed to pull on the right side of the car as soon as the turbo kicked in.

9 hours ago, MrBig said:

4B3B6483-A801-48FD-9D3E-BC24AC8D1039.jpeg.0b268ca6cd2b6d9f9cddd204f110de35.jpeg

Anyone else’s grandma refer to them as “Monkey Wards”? Not sure why plural, but she also shopped at “Wal-Marks”.

Where you went before Home Depot and Lowe’s were around:
image.jpeg.db33f082ee24378d95c5c0eb67a02ab9.jpeg

Where different members of your dinner party can order a burger, spaghetti plate, salads, or eat off the Wednesday night “breakfast for dinner” buffet:

image.jpeg.2580b887fd06a73752ec65e399efc92f.jpeg

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Anyone else’s grandma refer to them as “Monkey Wards”? Not sure why plural, but she also shopped at “Wal-Marks”.

Where you went before Home Depot and Lowe’s were around:
image.jpeg.db33f082ee24378d95c5c0eb67a02ab9.jpeg

Did we ever play in a Builder’s Square Alamo Bowl? I remember when Builder’s Square was the Home Depot of SA back in the early/mid 90s. 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Gibson's Discount Center.  Wiki says that there are two left using that name, both in Texas, but they are not part of the original company.  I used to walk halfway across Brenham to get my model planes and tanks at Gibson's.

Weatherford and Kerrville. I've been to both in the last year. My dad bought me a . 22cal Benjamin air rifle for Christmas there when I was 13 to shoot rabbits in the brush behind our house. I still have that gun. 

Edited by Longhornstampede
  • Hook 'Em 2

image.png.e79c8408817eea37f6d846cc54c7c503.png

Southwestern Bell -> SBC

My dad still uses his swbell.net email. Parents home email is a sbcglobal.net one. I still say "SBC Center" reflexively sometimes when referring to where the Spurs play. 

Any San Antonians remember Body Solutions? Couldn't go anywhere in SA in the early 00's without seeing an advertisement for that weight loss product. Not sure if it was SA only or not. Product turned out to be a total fraud and believe the owner ended up being prosecuted. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

KFC is a global monster. No taco hell mashups here.

https://global.kfc.com/our-locations/

The first KFC in England is in my ex's hometown of Preston, Lancashire. There is an honest to God bronze plaque in there and it's one of the first things locals tell you about that poor city. 

I once read about Chicago blues / boogie legend Hound Dog Taylor and band on tour in the Far East and Australia. After weeks of subsisting on rice and whatever else they managed to choke down, they found a KFC in Sydney. According to their manager, the whole band was weeping tears of joy. 

I know the feeling -- after months in Israel as a kibbutz laborer, I got a few days leave in Tel Aviv. Where there was a Hard Rock Cafe. That had fajitas on the menu -- cheese and meat together. I cried.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 89Horn said:

Another and a two for one pic.  Good Eats and Pizza Nizza (we’ll not really Pizza Nizza as a name brand but at least Good Eats for Austin)

2166B4CE-9F43-4E5C-B6DD-BAC5E30F5EBF.jpeg.649dc0401730b82a8bd0d51abdb97b20.jpeg

man i loved Good Eats... always went to the one where the Chuy’s is on N Lamar. great CFS and CFC, with the chunky mashed potatoes with the skin on, only restaurant i've ever seen serve them like that lol

8 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

image.png.e79c8408817eea37f6d846cc54c7c503.png

Southwestern Bell -> SBC

My dad still uses his swbell.net email. Parents home email is a sbcglobal.net one. I still say "SBC Center" reflexively sometimes when referring to where the Spurs play. 

Yep, father-in-law still has his swell.net account.

And I was an “Early Bird” adopter with Road Runner back in the 90s - neighbor worked for them and got a bunch of us on the block hooked up, and it could be buggy as hell - for a while, the networking was messed up and we could print to another neighbor’s printer (this was all hard-wired - no wireless).

Remember it was a big deal at the tech company I worked at that a few of us had @austin.rr.com email addresses early on before they rolled out everywhere.  Also meant I could play Ultima Online and Quake and a few other games at a decent speed compared to those using shitty DSL connections with SW Bell, AT&T, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yep.  Could have been racist, but also heard TG&Y referred to as They Gyp You, K-Mart (yummm…Jaclyn Smith…the Sela Ward of her time) was Came-Apart, etc.

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

man i loved Good Eats... always went to the one where the Chuy’s is on N Lamar. great CFS and CFC, with the chunky mashed potatoes with the skin on, only restaurant i've ever seen serve them like that lol

Yeah I had forgotten about Good Eats.  It was sorta like Hoover's before Hoovers.  Edit -  now I remember why I thought that:

Hoover Alexander managed one of the Good Eats Cafe locations before they closed down and he started his own restaurant, Hoover's.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, father-in-law still has his swell.net account.

And I was an “Early Bird” adopter with Road Runner back in the 90s - neighbor worked for them and got a bunch of us on the block hooked up, and it could be buggy as hell - for a while, the networking was messed up and we could print to another neighbor’s printer (this was all hard-wired - no wireless).

Remember it was a big deal at the tech company I worked at that a few of us had @austin.rr.com email addresses early on before they rolled out everywhere.  Also meant I could play Ultima Online and Quake and a few other games at a decent speed compared to those using shitty DSL connections with SW Bell, AT&T, etc.

I still have and use my Roadrunner email account.  

And as I recall, it was Austin Cablevision even before it was anything else.  We had the hard-wired "slider box" and felt like we were living in the Jetsons' house.  MTV was 20, and HBO was 42 I think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And as I recall, it was Austin Cablevision even before it was anything else.  We had the hard-wired "slider box" and felt like we were living in the Jetsons' house.  MTV was 20, and HBO was 42 I think.

I don't remember our cable provider but I still remember the channel numbers...2 TBS, 3 FOX, 4 NBC, 5 CBS, 9 PBS, 12 ABC. The only cable channel we had available was Showtime and it was a set top box. Before FOX existed, I think you had to put TV on channel 3 and hit the set top box button to show Showtime. I think ESPN and the Disney channel showed up after I left in '90.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deadshank said:

Dallas Sidekicks 1988-89 Front Office Staff

First Fantasy Football show I remember ever seeing back in 1994 was on HSE. His show was awesome. Underproduced, full of stats, only him and one other guy, and fairly accurate. After the first season, they brought in a new co-host with Norm and it went to shit. Got syndicated the third year and they dropped Norm. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

First Fantasy Football show I remember ever seeing back in 1994 was on HSE. His show was awesome. Underproduced, full of stats, only him and one other guy, and fairly accurate. After the first season, they brought in a new co-host with Norm and it went to shit. Got syndicated the third year and they dropped Norm. 

Norm is awesome.  A face truly made for radio.

After some good thing the stRangers did but most often after something awful, "Oh, my, Merle!"

• Hook 'Em 2

I miss how dimly lit everything was in the good ole' days.  Twas a better time for those with less than stellar looks, but mostly I just miss that mood.  Modern lighting feels so artificial and cold.  While not a brand, incandescent light bulbs are mostly gone (except in dollar stores in shit-ass poor places).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2