1. Croatia          4    3   4   1
2. Morocco          4    2   2   0
3. Belgium          3   -1   1   2
4. Canada           0   -4   1   5

Lots of permutations here

Canada - out
Belgium - win or draw and Morocco loses by 3 or 4 goals
Morocco - Win or draw with Canada or Belgium loses
Croatia - Win or draw or lose and Morocco must lose by the same number of goals or more

2:00 PM Eastern - Group E

Fox

image.png          VS.         image.png

Fox Sports 1

image.png          VS.         image.png

Rnk Country        Pts  GD  GF  GA
1. Spain            4    7   8   1
2. Japan            3    0   2   2
3. Costa Rica       3   -6   1   7
4. Germany          1   -1   2   3

This one is going to be interesting, everyone is still in play and in most cases an outright win would advance any team.

Glad this finally got posted so I can bring it to everyone’s attention that after 2 matches for every team, only one of the 31 that had to qualify remains without a point.  And Morocco does have reason to play hard as I think they need a draw to ensure they advance and a win to have a chance to win the group. 

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Glad this finally got posted so I can bring it to everyone’s attention that after 2 matches for every team, only one of the 31 that had to qualify remains without a point.  And Morocco does have reason to play hard as I think they need a draw to ensure they advance and a win to have a chance to win the group. 

CAN is gimmicky and I think they're learning that that doesn't get you far in the WC. 

They also just aren't very good at most positions on the field. 

It's kind of crazy they finished 1st in WCQ. 

Side note - haven't seen a lot of "David > Pulisic" takes lately. Huh. 

Edited by ztejas

I think Canada drops off big time after David and Davies. It's a little harsh to call them an MLS team, but they aren't far off after those two.

I think in qualifying they had a great game plan, it worked to perfection and they "won" qualifying.

But as many a CONCACAF team finds once you're in the World Cup, the competition is much stiffer. They also drew a tough group with their hardest games first. And that just ended up being a disaster for them.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I think Canada drops off big time after David and Davies. It's a little harsh to call them an MLS team, but they aren't far off after those two.

I think in qualifying they had a great game plan, it worked to perfection and they "won" qualifying.

But as many a CONCACAF team finds once you're in the World Cup, the competition is much stiffer. They also drew a tough group with their hardest games first. And that just ended up being a disaster for them.

Yep just like USA drawing a tough group in 2006. 3 tough games: annihilated by 3 goals by Czech Republic, amazingly tied champion Italy 1-1, then lost to Ghana by a goal. USA bounced back and made it to the knockout stage in 2010. 

Canada will bounce back next WC. It was a learning experience for them, especially since they haven't been to a WC since 1986. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Oh I think Hersman’s coaching/schemes were top notch. They just maxed out what that “MLS roster” could do. They need more talent to compete at World Cup level. 

They probably maxed it out in qualifying. I'm not sure they've maxed it out so far in the WC. 

Granted, if Davies doesn't flub a penalty they likely get a point against BEL. 

2 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

That turn and control by Carrasco was sick. 

Indeed, it was Maradona-esque. But then de Bruyne meekly plays the ball out wide ... and then passes it straight to a defender when he gets it back.

Dunno what's up with KdB but he doesn't seem himself. Although he just sent a nice thru-ball as I was typing this.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can’t imagine why a referee might have a grievance against Germany no matter where they are from. 

The Germans like to continue the conspiracy theory that Hurst’s second in 1966 never crossed the line.  When the Soviet linesman was asked by the German captain how he could rule it in, he replied, “Stalingrad.”

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns
Linesman, not ref
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I think that's the best call.

Kramaric was off (though not active) on the free kick, and Carrasco did step on Kramaric's toe after Kramaric had passed the ball out of the box, but it would've been a super soft penalty, imo.

Yeah I thought the offsides stuff was questionable but the foul seemed very light. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Canada is a clown show in this cup, wtf happened to them? They gave up a goal to Morocco on an awful sequence ending with the keeper coming out and playing it straight to the Morrocan player who chipped it into the empty net. 

The RB is honestly who fucked it up. Obviously the keeper should have cleared it better but he got put in a really shitty spot. 

I'm not sure how they conceded so few in qualifying. Their back line is a trainwreck. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I understand, but the whole point in using the technology is to take the "opinion" out of it. He's either on or off.

Yeah I hear you. It’s not an issue with the technology. It’s just conforming to the rule interpretation. It is what it is.

Edited by Macklemore