Welcome to Costco .....

tx 3 putt

On 12/1/2022 at 12:49 AM, tx 3 putt said:

There are many more deals at Costco v HEB, it's not even funny. If you know your prices, shop the costco sales and have space, you can save some serious money v HEB. I'm a fan.

I stopped in last night to get a $5 rotisserie chicken and they had 80/20 ground beef on special for $1.99 lb. Picked up a pack. Made half today for taco meat (freezer servings) and I'll make the rest tomorrow for chili. 

Some standards for me :

Neutrogena body wash, when it's a on sale. 

Kirkland Thick Cut bacon. 3lbs for the price of 1lb at HEB. I cut it up and freeze

Kerrygold butter. best deal when it's sale. 

all paper goods

reynolds foil. high quality and thicker rolls

eggs

shampoo and conditioner. I don't use the stuff, but the sale prices are always great.  

the croissants for the bakery are a great deal, 12 for $5.99.

their holiday pumpkin pie is just delicious, as was the pecan pie. both were double the size of heb pies and cheaper 

just to name a few. i also, fill up every stop (4% back). clothing can be some great buys also.

I adopted several kids for xmas and couple of families for the holidays. found some great deals on toys, groceries, clothing, and jackets. shoes can be hit and miss.

https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html?&ADBUTLERID=homepage_hero_decembermvm

You didn't even mention the fucking hot dot deal

As mentioned many times, the winner is the meat area but plenty of other worthy finds like the Kirkland cold brew cans, the 12 pack of massive muffins (I throw in the freezer), all deez nuts, gasoline, the 2 year warranty on things like TVs, and every once in awhile don’t sleep on the clothes can find some stuff for sweet prices.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, George said:

I always see the line and say fuck it. I’ll pay more not to wait for 20 minutes to fill up.

I'm sure it depends on the location but when you take into consideration the speed of their pumps compared to most every other gas station, along with the fact that half of costco shoppers can't figure out that all pumps will work for their car no matter which side their vehicle's gas cap is on, the lines move pretty fast...and it's pdq once you get to the pump, as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

As mentioned many times, the winner is the meat area but plenty of other worthy finds like the Kirkland cold brew cans, the 12 pack of massive muffins (I throw in the freezer), all deez nuts, gasoline, the 2 year warranty on things like TVs, and every once in awhile don’t sleep on the clothes can find some stuff for sweet prices.

58 inch Samsung was $375. Use your Costco cc and get an extra year warranty 

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm sure it depends on the location but when you take into consideration the speed of their pumps compared to most every other gas station, along with the fact that half of costco shoppers can't figure out that all pumps will work for their car no matter which side their vehicle's gas cap is on, the lines move pretty fast...and it's pdq once you get to the pump, as well.

that line is never 20 mins, it flies 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

$22 lucky brand jeans 

$18 orvis light weight jacket 

$17 orvis lined flannel shirt 

$21 adidas 

just to make a few items I’ve found 

the women love the Costco / lululemon yoga pants - tights. Love !

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

that line is never 20 mins, it flies 

always appreciate pulling into the cypress costco on my way in/out of town and there's available pumps. 

bunker hill and greenway almost always have lines.  clocked it at 15 minutes once.  there's just a lack of pumps at those two locations. 

Edited by elfenix

I'm a convert. The only issue is that we're a family of three and don't have a ton of storage. So there is a ton I want to buy/try but can't justify buying so dang much of it, even if it is a deal. 

Bought Airpod Pros there. Didn't like them, so I returned them and bought the regular Airpods. Easy as can be. Three weeks later the price dropped by $30, so I took the receipt and got the difference back.

Also, the clothes are a big draw... and I originally laughed at "who would buy clothes at Costco?"

Evidently me. Got an awesome Eddie Bauer hoodie for like $12. Bought a pair of shorts for $15, and two weeks later they were on sale for $11, so I bought another. 

But the pizza and the hot dog? Yuck. The food court sucks. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the great thing about their steaks is that they're technically USDA Choice, but they swear to "Choice or better", meaning you're getting damn close or equal to Prime for a lot less.
Yeah, i usually buy Prime but there have definitely been times I have gotten Choice that might as well be Prime.
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, i usually buy Prime but there have definitely been times I have gotten Choice that might as well be Prime.

Note that meat grading is done via one meat sample taken from one section of each animal. Depending on the individual animal, other parts of the animal can and will be marbled differently, so it is very possible for an animal graded Choice to have certain better cuts than another animal that was graded Prime. (And vice versa, sometimes a Prime graded animal has some terrible cuts as well.) Always pick based on the piece of meat, not based on the label.

And also be aware that there is plenty of good beef out there where the producer simply doesn't want to pay to get graded, a lot of the store brands are this way. Again, pick based on the meat. Just because it doesn't carry a Choice or Prime rating doesn't mean you won't find a great cut. Maybe less likely, but it's still possible.

Never Select Select is still a good rule of thumb though.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Note that meat grading is done via one meat sample taken from one section of each animal. Depending on the individual animal, other parts of the animal can and will be marbled differently, so it is very possible for an animal graded Choice to have certain better cuts than another animal that was graded Prime. (And vice versa, sometimes a Prime graded animal has some terrible cuts as well.) Always pick based on the piece of meat, not based on the label.

And also be aware that there is plenty of good beef out there where the producer simply doesn't want to pay to get graded, a lot of the store brands are this way. Again, pick based on the meat. Just because it doesn't carry a Choice or Prime rating doesn't mean you won't find a great cut. Maybe less likely, but it's still possible.

Never Select Select is still a good rule of thumb though.

I think we've found the aggy mole

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

These are really good if you’re feeling like some fried fish but don’t want to smell the kitchen up. I cook them in the air fryer, make a homemade tartar sauce and let the kids splash their own malt vinegar on them too. Big hit in this house. 

356E9BA2-45A3-4C57-9326-2A2D27D85145.jpeg

Edited by Vanderpool
Air fryer yo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The Kirkland frozen panko shrimp FTW

One of our staples. Shrimp tacos are 2-3 times a month in our house. We also occasionally get the ready-made street taco kit. Usually around $15 and would feed 3-4 adults. The crema sauce that comes with it is ridiculously good.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

we have a Costco Business Center that opened a while back.  Totally different product lines.  You can buy restaurant equipment, whole pigs, and all sorts of weird shit.

I just noticed one of those near my office. Can my regular membership card get me in there?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:48 AM, tigol said:

I cannot stand Costco.  It's not the products, it's the people that shop there.  Not directed at you, putt.

No idea what you're talking about. Your Costco must suck. Mine is awesome. There's people working there that have worked there since it was Price Club in the 90s, and they love it. The samples. The liquor section. The dairy section is a weekly stop for me. Kirkland Signature branded everything. And the 20 pound bag of potatoes.

Also cheap gas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, I always appreciated their long-time employees, of which there are many, and for the most part the customers are chill.

There is the occasional shopper infected with "CostCo fog", they usually hang out confused in the middle of the aisle, with cart.  And then there are those who clog everything up near the sample stations.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

My neighborhood school is probably 100% below the poverty rate and posted for toys for their toy drive. I picked up TON of toys and gifts for $200. Picked up some jackets too. When I set up a time for drop off, I asked them to bring a cart out. My vehicle was stuffed. 

If anyone wants to copy me and do something like this. Be sure to let a manager up front know and ask if they can use some discount codes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

No idea what you're talking about. Your Costco must suck. Mine is awesome. There's people working there that have worked there since it was Price Club in the 90s, and they love it. The samples. The liquor section. The dairy section is a weekly stop for me. Kirkland Signature branded everything. And the 20 pound bag of potatoes.

Also cheap gas.

The one in S. Austin.  They don't even have gas.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

My neighborhood school is probably 100% below the poverty rate and posted for toys for their toy drive. I picked up TON of toys and gifts for $200. Picked up some jackets too. When I set up a time for drop off, I asked them to bring a cart out. My vehicle was stuffed. 

Few years ago, the Secret Santa card said "giant bear" - we all knew exactly what the kid wanted. The checkout guy also said he used one to propose to his wife:

1794300150_bear944.jpg.3b93a6f540915d73c0fb403519bc2166.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tigol said:

Nope, no plugs for that shit either.  Are EV's elite?  Huh.  Juts a Chuys and a shitty exit off of MoPac.  Fuck that location.  

Eh, there are plugs at Whole Foods a few parking rows away from Costco.  

Costco Power Move - get there fifteen minutes before posted opening time.  They usually roll the doors open fifteen minutes early.  I went a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, shopped and was out the door by official opening time.

• Hook 'Em 1