Welcome to Costco .....

tx 3 putt

Kimchi continues to be one of those culinary mysteries to me. I've tried it about a dozen times. I don't like it. I keep trying it. On it's face, it's thinks I fucking love: fermented food, spices, cabbage. I fucking love sauerkraut. But nope, every time I try Kimchi I don't like. It's frustrating and mildly irritating. 

Kimchi is the superstar of the Korean array of fermented foods. When I would travel there it amazed me how kimchi varied from restaurant to restaurant. But the table would be set with a dozen other fermented things that ranged from delicious to repugnant, like fermented little fish. Fermented barbecue crab was a big time delicacy that they lived and we hated so they would order triple orders for all of us and then eat themselves. It was a putrid thing to eat.

If you make your own use sea salt. That is the big difference with Korean kimchi.
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hot dogs need real toppings. It's just crummy yellow mustard, ketchup, and "relish." 

Maybe I need to make a run through Costco, pick up some cheese, jalapenos, onion, spicy mustard and then buy the hot dog. The dog itself isn't bad, but the extras are pitiful.

bring your sundick condiment case on every costco run

image.thumb.png.583e5c22be43f98a46461ebbbb81890d.png

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Homemade kimchi is way better than anything I have bought from a store. 

Cut up and thoroughly rinse a napa cabbage

Brine in saltwater overnight.

remove from saltwater and lightly rinse.

Coat in 

Amazon.com : NOH Korean Kim Chee Base, 1.125-Ounce Packet, (Pack of 12) :  Gourmet Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food

and

Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce 8oz : Target

Let mother nature do her thing in sealed bowl for 2 weeks.  Stir every couple days.

Pack into a glass canning jar and refrigerate.  

add carrots, daikon, peppers.....to enhance flavors you like

Wouldn't it be easier to just take a spoon and go out back to the compost pile

• Haha 4

There’s a problem with that. Korean women are not taught to cook by their mothers. That job is left to their future mother in law so she learns to cook the way mama did. So you’d need to marry a Korean mother in law, or else she’s learning to make your mom’s meat loaf or going to Door Dash.

My cousin married a girl in Thailand. Hurray! Curry and pad Thai at Thanksgiving! Wrong. Can’t cook Worth a damn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:48 AM, Scary Stranger said:

Has anyone been to the Costco Business center or whatever in Dallas? The talk of whole pigs is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to its newsletter.

I was there yesterday, wasn't in the market for whole pigs, but their selection of big primal cuts was finominal.  It's worth a visit.

I got a 5-lb boneless leg of lamb for $6.49 per lb.  We will eat well this Christmas.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2

The ones at Costco this morning were “peeled” and choice was $22.95 and prime was mid $30s. Choice New York strips were $8.99 and ribeyes $12.99 IIRC. I’d verify but they are in the cooler buried under all the Christmas gifts, but I’m grilling them tonight. They also had rib roasts which looked good.

I’m doing steak for 10 on the 30th but didn’t source those yet.

I don’t drink but my wife picked up half a case of the Kirkland brand Prosecco.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

The ones at Costco this morning were “peeled” and choice was $22.95 and prime was mid $30s. Choice New York strips were $8.99 and ribeyes $12.99 IIRC. I’d verify but they are in the cooler buried under all the Christmas gifts, but I’m grilling them tonight. They also had rib roasts which looked good.

I’m doing steak for 10 on the 30th but didn’t source those yet.

I don’t drink but my wife picked up half a case of the Kirkland brand Prosecco.

I do drink, and that stuff is pretty solid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I bought a package of the choice NY strips this week and grilled one last night. After choosing ribeyes for years, I found this steak to be my new favorite and will be buying them going forward.  Love the fact that the FW COSTCO opens their doors 15-30 minutes early during holidays which makes parking, getting what I need, and being home in less than an hour a bonus.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, pch said:

I bought a package of the choice NY strips this week and grilled one last night. After choosing ribeyes for years, I found this steak to be my new favorite and will be buying them going forward.  Love the fact that the FW COSTCO opens their doors 15-30 minutes early during holidays which makes parking, getting what I need, and being home in less than an hour a bonus.

Costco NY Strips are my go to.  Buy the packages and individually vacuum seal the individual steaks and freeze them on a flat tray for later use.

• Hook 'Em 2

Good friend of mine has 3 sick kids and sent me money to buy meds at Costco. 

3 bottle of kids mucinex $15 

3 bottle of some other name brand $15

200 vicks cough drops $7 

mucinex is $15 a bottle at H‑E‑B and Walgreens. I swing by her office and told her to pop the trunk, easy delivery 

Edited by tx 3 putt

This is happening for Christmas Eve lunch tomorrow. My in-laws wouldn’t know good food even if it bit them first, but I’m the chef this round so my rules. Hope it’s as good as it looks. 
Cedar Park Costco was insanity this morning, even before official opening time.  

AC15F11D-A04D-4D26-9CC9-BC3D16E6EB51.jpeg

Edited by Vanderpool
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is happening for Christmas Eve lunch tomorrow. My in-laws wouldn’t know good food even if it bit them first, but I’m the chef this round so my rules.

I hate cooking for my parents because the only way they’ll eat steak is burnt. Went to Costco at opening to get some short ribs since that would work for their toddler palate. Sold out. They don’t eat seafood so none of that’s an option. I’m not cooking a fucking turkey. Finally said fuck it and got a whole tenderloin that’ll be cooked to low medium rare. I guess they can just have a baked potato and sides. I’m tired of catering to picky eaters.
  • Hook 'Em 6

Just microwave their slices when it's time to serve. No reason to cook an entire roast to shitty doneness to satisfy one or two people. Or, if you care more, slice and sear in a pan with butter.

I don’t cater to shitty taste. The roast will be just past rare. My mom can work a skillet if she wants to ruin a slice.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t cater to shitty taste. The roast will be just past rare. My mom can work a skillet if she wants to ruin a slice.

The trick I used when dealing with those folks was to have a shallow pan of the jus at just below a simmer. If you dunk a slice in there just before serving, it knocks the "pink" off of it and fools them into thinking it's whatever temp they wanted.  Or you could continue with your plan and I salute that experience as well.

Just stumbled on this great thread.

I picked up a leg of lamb at a Costco Saturday and roasted it for Christmas dinner last night. It was incredible.

I buy those 4lb trays of deveined jumbo shrimp then divide into 4 quart sized ziploc bags and throw them in the freezer. They'll defrost in cold water in under 10 mins, so there's always a protein on hand if time gets away from me like it often does. I go back and forth on the NY Strips and Ribeyes, sometimes the filet.

That's not even getting into the liquor section.

Love me some Costco.

1e761d7cb511562d759cb3d43d48b900.jpgdc4ca5ceb38ec5080dc53345dc36c8ac.jpge30a1f89460046af18c2c8a835b66975.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1