#2 Texas vs. #7 Creighton - 6pm on ESPN - It’s Game Day!

KingBobo81

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’m just relieved Scheierman didn’t match his .442 3-point shooting percentage tonight.  His late minute barrage was much closer to norm than his dreadful first half.

Still … a hard earned, well deserved team win that overcame some tough matchups.  

Seriously.  They were like 1-22 to start.  If they had hit even a few of those the entire game changes.

• Hook 'Em 1

This team deep dicks fucks. Constant energy, contesting, relentless pressure and challenging by everyone on the court. They have the athletes and formula to just wear teams down with constant pressure defensive intensity and complimntary offense that keeps the pressure on the opponent. Horns challenge everything the entire game and not too many teams can handle that.It just looks exhausting for any opponent to handle all game. It also just comes in waves and never stops throuhhiut the game when we sub. There are no breaks for the opponent offensively or defensively, no matter who we have in. Gonna blow the doors off a lot of teams. Starting O can score through any player on the floor and when we bring in Rice. Then we bring in subs when the other team needs a break they aint getting it cause  Brock and Bishop bring even more energy. Fun to watch good b ball

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

This team deep dicks fucks. Constant energy, contesting, relentless pressure and challenging by everyone on the court. They have the athletes and formula to just wear teams down with constant pressure defensive intensity and complimntary offense that keeps the pressure on the opponent. Horns challenge everything the entire game and not too many teams can handle that.It just looks exhausting for any opponent to handle all game. It also just comes in waves and never stops throuhhiut the game when we sub. There are no breaks for the opponent offensively or defensively, no matter who we have in. Gonna blow the doors off a lot of teams. Starting O can score through any player on the floor and when we bring in Rice. Then we bring in subs when the other team needs a break they aint getting it cause  Brock and Bishop bring even more energy. Fun to watch good b ball

And I would add that the chemistry of the team is really good.  They seem to actually like playing with each other. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Right before tipoff I was worried about the crowd. The pic is just before they announced the starting lineups. It got better. Great time tonight and I have a few thoughts for later but now it’s time for a celebratory cocktail or 2 downtown.

5C869128-D4FF-4C1B-AAD2-B6F6202E9927.jpeg

Only benefit on a 6PM tip is the extended celebratory period. Great game 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

Right before tipoff I was worried about the crowd. The pic is just before they announced the starting lineups. It got better. Great time tonight and I have a few thoughts for later but now it’s time for a celebratory cocktail or 2 downtown.
5C869128-D4FF-4C1B-AAD2-B6F6202E9927.thumb.jpeg.e2e127c6c0790fc6ccf4c92ad685157e.jpeg
I think all the people that sit in those empty seats in your picture are just 100 feet back in the club that's right behind those sections. The seats fill in quick because those people don't have far to go before tip.

1 hour ago, Horny Bull said:

That was my first Moody experience and it was AWESOME

Me too. I brought my son tonight and we had a blast. Having the students around 3/4 of the court is amazing. They fucking brought it tonight. And the rest of the crowd fed off of their energy and Coach Beard's. I've never had to stand for that much of a basketball game and I loved it!

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Me too. I brought my son tonight and we had a blast. Having the students around 3/4 of the court is amazing. They fucking brought it tonight. And the rest of the crowd fed off of their energy and Coach Beard's. I've never had to stand for that much of a basketball game and I loved it!

Weird, I was sitting in the last row of section 112.  It sounded like the crowd was pretty quiet and subdued.  I'm watching the DVR of the game now  and it confirms what you said, the crowd really brought it.  I'm not an sound engineer but I guess last row in a corner section is an acoustic dead spot. 

5C869128-D4FF-4C1B-AAD2-B6F6202E9927.thumb.jpeg.e2e127c6c0790fc6ccf4c92ad685157e.jpeg

You must have been 3 or 4 rows in front of me.

2 minutes ago, sailorhorn said:

Love this team. Best maybe since Erwin opening year which I went to. '76 grad.  Maybe the Ford years.

No kidding.  Krivacs, Baxter, Danks, Johhny Moore, Ovie Dotson, plus others,  The NIT championship game where Texas was throwing touchdown passes to beat the press was quite memorable!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’m just relieved Scheierman didn’t match his .442 3-point shooting percentage tonight.  His late minute barrage was much closer to norm than his dreadful first half.

Still … a hard earned, well deserved team win that overcame some tough matchups.  

I think we had something to do with that. Plus we shot like shit from 3

• Hook 'Em 2

And I would add that the chemistry of the team is really good.  They seem to actually like playing with each other. 

Part of that is there are no superstars. Just really, really good basketball players who respect each other. And seem to be unselfish, but not afraid to step up and want the rock in meaningful moments. That’s something Shaka couldn’t produce.

2 hours ago, smoky said:
2 hours ago, justhookit said:

I think all the people that sit in those empty seats in your picture are just 100 feet back in the club that's right behind those sections. The seats fill in quick because those people don't have far to go before tip.

Yeah definitely. They filled really fast and it was great to see. So did all the other seats around us and I suspect the 6 tip-off has a lot to do with it too. There are so many clubs and beverage options at Moody. It was weird seeing all the hard liquor concessions after so many years of going to games at the Drum.

1 hour ago, Zone Read said:

Weird, I was sitting in the last row of section 112.  It sounded like the crowd was pretty quiet and subdued.  I'm watching the DVR of the game now  and it confirms what you said, the crowd really brought it.  I'm not an sound engineer but I guess last row in a corner section is an acoustic dead spot. 

It was definitely fairly quiet most of the first half. Or at least it wasn’t what I was expecting. Second half was better. I think part of it was playing “Creighton” and despite what some others have said this year we still have a lot of fans that go to games as a social event and not to make a lot of noise. And the piped in music is almost as overwhelming and annoying as Godzillatron at football games. Still, a huge improvement over the Erwin Center.

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

You must have been 3 or 4 rows in front of me.

Row C. Seats 1-4. You might have seen when my Dad got a little irritated with a Creighton fan that was acting just fine.

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

The things that have impressed me the most about Creighton - and it impressed me about them in previous games, too, is their transition defense and their ability to play without fouling. This is a great test. Best non conference opponent of the season, IMO. 

Their transition defense was outstanding. Our seats were behind the baseline on the corner so we had a great view of that all game long. Overall they are just a really well coached team but having no bench will be difficult for them to overcome. I’m a bit perplexed at our substitution pattern especially in the 2nd half but I’ll put that in the season thread and probably not until tomorrow.

Edited by justhookit

Part of that is there are no superstars. Just really, really good basketball players who respect each other.

Not sure I agree.  Tyrese Hunter is about as close to a superstar as we have had at Texas since Durant and Augustin. He is the first guy in 10+ years we have had to average 16+ per game.  And he is doing it from the guard position shooting an amazing 54% from the field.  If his minutes and usage increased he could average 25 ppg.

Here are all the guys we have had at Texas average more 16+ ppg in the last 22 years:

• Tyrese Hunter - 16.0 ppg, 54.5 FG%
  • Kevin Durant - 25.8 ppg, 47.3 FG% - Wooden Award Winner
  • J'Covan Brown - 20.1 ppg, 41.7 FG% - 1st Team All Big 12
  • DJ Augustin - 19.2 ppg, 47.1 FG% - 1st Team All American
  • Jordan Hamilton - 18.6 ppg, 44.0 FG% - 2nd Team All American
  • Damion James - 18.0 ppg, 50.0 FG% - 1st Team All Big 12
  • AJ Abrams - 16.6 ppg, 39.9 FG% - 2nd Team All Big 12
  • PJ Tucker - 16.1 ppg, 51.5 FG% - Big 12 PoY, 2nd Team AA

Dude is on a 1st Team All-American trajectory IMO.  Every time I watch him I'm blown away by how good he is.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Here are all the guys we have had at Texas average more 16+ ppg in the last 22 years:

• Tyrese Hunter - 16.0 ppg, 54.5 FG%

Seems a bit cherry picked. And we've played like, 6 games? I mean he could wind up averaging more, to be fair. 

LaMarcus put up 15/9 (including 3.6 OREBs) plus 3.4 stocks (to 2.4 fouls) on 57 FG% and went 2nd in the draft. That's more impressive than what Tyrese is doing. 

Tyrese is a great player. I don't think he's a college superstar. Teams don't design their gameplan around Tyrese Hunter. 

You can of course define that term however you want. There's less than 10 guys I'd give that label to each season. 

Edited by ztejas

Yeah on a neutral court Creighton very likely beats us last night. We’re still learning. I hope the early success with the three pointer this season doesn’t give us overconfidence in that regard.

Matching up against a legit big will always be a challenge for us. Gonzaga and Creighton both presented that threat and we managed it well, but if a team plays well inside out and hits threes, that’s the kind of team that can give us fits.

Regardless, our athleticism is going to give most teams really fits.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah on a neutral court Creighton very likely beats us last night. We’re still learning. I hope the early success with the three pointer this season doesn’t give us overconfidence in that regard.

Matching up against a legit big will always be a challenge for us. Gonzaga and Creighton both presented that threat and we managed it well, but if a team plays well inside out and hits threes, that’s the kind of team that can give us fits.

Regardless, our athleticism is going to give most teams really fits.

Really?  I have not had a chance to watch whole game, but I was popping in and out.  And I saw them missing threes badly and our guys missing threes that were going in and out.  And every time I was able to catch a bit, we were winning.

Seems like we had control of the game throughout.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like Tyrese is a step below DJ.  A small step.  I'll take that any day.

he's donovan mitchell at louisville. not saying he will be on spida's level in the nba, but i can't think of a more accurate player comp for tyrese hunter. hell, i struggle to think of any UT player who was ever as close of a clone to another player as tyrese hunter is to donovan mitchell. imo anyway. mitchell had slightly better stats and played a bigger role for his team, but as far as height/weight/athleticism/play style goes, i feel like i'm watching donovan mitchell whenever i watch tyrese play.

Edited by shadow_operative

ive compared hunter to guys like troy polamalu and ed reed. yes, he's a great on-ball defender, but he has great instincts and vision, and at times he sort of quietly roams the court anticipating an entry pass or a swing pass which he then leaps in front of and starts the break. he really is a great all around defender. our best on the perimeter since Avery Bradley.

5 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I saw them missing threes badly and our guys missing threes that were going in and out.  And every time I was able to catch a bit, we were winning.

Seems like we had control of the game throughout.

This was my experience as well.  They were bricking the shit out of their 3s.  At least two airballs.  Ours were just barely rimming out.