Defund the IRS

MeerkatBong

Not Disband. 

Who didn't see this coming when we spent a ton of money on the IRS under the guise of "TaXiNg tHe BilLiOnNaIrEs!"

The IRS has warned Americans that they must report payments on Venmo, PayPal, & Zelle over $600 The $600 threshold includes part-time work, side gigs, and selling goods Wasn't the plan to go after Billionaires?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/reminder-service-providers-others-may-receive-1099-ks-for-sales-over-600-in-early-2023

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 31

33 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Not Disband. 

Who didn't see this coming when we spent a ton of money on the IRS under the guise of "TaXiNg tHe BilLiOnNaIrEs!"

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/reminder-service-providers-others-may-receive-1099-ks-for-sales-over-600-in-early-2023

you somehow think this is due to that extra money the IRS got?

welcome to the ignore list.

• Haha 1

an applicable anecdote...

we had a guy here that was doing quite a bit of home handyman work for us...his estimate was about $2500 dollars.

the first payment after he'd done a portion of the work...i offered check or Venmo, he opted for Venmo but made a big deal about how he'd prefer cash 'else the taxman will get me!' 

the second payment i also Venmo'd...he made an even bigger deal. like, he was irritated.

when we were getting to know him, he told us how he came to work for himself...he wasn't some destitute day laborer, he obviously made a good living. lots of useful skills. 

i thought about it and decided i was irritated...i and everybody else have to pay taxes, why shouldn't he?

anyways...he ghosted us after that, which was fine, we found an actual reputable handyman LLC.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean everybody should just pay their damn taxes, it's not really a controversial position.

gif-elmoshrug.gif

The controversial position is in how much, I guess. Baseline versus largesse to fund bloat and inefficiencies, stealing from the middle class

Idk GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 18

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The pain being felt by the middle class is not being inflicted by the IRS.  It’s being inflicted by corporations and the ultra wealthy being able to essentially buy governmental policy that allows them to pocket obscene wealth that used to be more uniformly distributed through society. 

The optics of "Give me billions of dollars more in your tax dollars to beef up the IRS to go after the billionaires and help the middle class" as the pitch and then "hey, if you got more than $600 via venmo in your poker games and fantasy football and side hustles because it's hard out here for a playa, well, give the government our cut and we have the enforcers out looking" just don't FEEL good. 

I get that it's always been the case, but it makes me emotionally FEEL something in a way that I don't like, because I'm feeling like I'm already a poor middle class bloke who just keeps having to pay more and more taxes. So I guess my logical beef is in having to pay more taxes generally, but my emotional and irrational beef is how it feels. If that makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 17

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Take away a lot of the shit that government - made up of and run by your fellow Americans, real people who work for a living, not a sinister cabal manufactured in a diabolical lab - provides, and you and yours would shit your pants screaming about it.  You wouldn't have interstate highways to drive on to go to DC to bitch about it.  Be careful flying there, no FAA means you aren't going to have the safest air travel system in the world.  And if the plane crashes, good luck suing the airline now that we have no more courts.  Etc. etc. etc. the "taxation is theft" trope is the dumbest fucking position out there, and that's saying a lot.

In an ideal world we could get a fair accounting of what the minimum to run basic services (aka all the basics you like to point to like highways and FAA and firehouses and cop stations, etc.) and everyone is mandated to pay those taxes. From there we can see where all our money is going otherwise and run the data analysis on the outcomes and impact and ROI and get a real feel for the waste, abuse and fraud. 

And I could not care less if a business is bloated and wasteful as long as I'm not having to fund it via a compulsory deduction out of my biweekly labors, so that analogy is garbage for me.

I agree with you that the middle class is being squeezed and it's a bad thing.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 14

7 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

The optics of "Give me billions of dollars more in your tax dollars to beef up the IRS to go after the billionaires and help the middle class" as the pitch and then "hey, if you got more than $600 via venmo in your poker games and fantasy football and side hustles because it's hard out here for a playa, well, give the government our cut and we have the enforcers out looking" just don't FEEL good. 

I get that it's always been the case, but it makes me emotionally FEEL something in a way that I don't like, because I'm feeling like I'm already a poor middle class bloke who just keeps having to pay more and more taxes. So I guess my logical beef is in having to pay more taxes generally, but my emotional and irrational beef is how it feels. If that makes sense.

So ... DON'T defund the IRS?

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

"hey, if you got more than $600 via venmo in your poker games and fantasy football and side hustles because it's hard out here for a playa, well, give the government our cut and we have the enforcers out looking" just don't FEEL good. 

I'm feeling like I'm already a poor middle class bloke who just keeps having to pay more and more taxes.

Are a significant number of "poor middle class blokes" out there playing in poker games where they can win (or lose) $600 all the time?

Facts don't care about your feelings.  Or somesuch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

Are a significant number of "poor middle class blokes" out there playing in poker games where they can win (or lose) $600 all the time?

Facts don't care about your feelings.  Or somesuch.

I hear you, but also at the end of the day, it's not facts that win or lose the hearts and minds of men, it's how we are made to feel. 

People don't remember what you said, they remember how you made them feel.

It's simultaneously our greatest strength and weakness that we were created to be exceptionally feeling and emotional beings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 13

1 minute ago, MeerkatBong said:

Which party or economic philosophy prescribes taxing the rich a lot and the poor on government hand outs only, but leaving the middle class mostly alone? I want to join that club.

It's not the GQP

It's not the Dems

Maybe it's The Forward Party.

Why should the middle class be left alone when it comes to citizenship?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Which party or economic philosophy prescribes taxing the rich a lot and the poor on government hand outs only, but leaving the middle class mostly alone? I want to join that club.

It's not the GQP

It's not the Dems

Maybe it's The Forward Party.

You are getting closer when you can look at yourself, a homeless person, Donald Trump and Joe Biden and realize that Trump and Biden have a lot more in common with each other than they do with either you or the homeless person, and that you have a lot more in common with the homeless person than you do with Donald Trump or Joe Biden.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

You are getting closer when you can look at yourself, a homeless person, Donald Trump and Joe Biden and realize that Trump and Biden have a lot more in common with each other than they do with either you or the homeless person, and that you have a lot more in common with the homeless person than you do with Donald Trump or Joe Biden.

Everyone on this website save maybe the Chicago guy who was bought out by the PE firm and got his Rolls Royce stolen in Chicago is closer to a homeless person than a Trump or Biden. Heck, half of us are a year or two without income and we would be homeless, so I agree.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 8