Defund the IRS

MeerkatBong

Just now, YGIFS said:

Okay, I just want to say no judgement.  We may have more in common than you realize.  You also have shitty takes.  Yada, yada, yada.  And Bob's your uncle.  

But holy shit, "Masturbatory Theoretics."  I'm literally going to learn the clarinet and form a band with that name.  That is out-fucking-standing.  Have some rep.

I owe it all to you and RD.  

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You're incorrect that nobody has moral principles. You're projecting.

I assume you are speaking about the third sentence?  I'm not saying that is a lack of moral principles.  I'm stating the examples I gave are popular propositions, on this board anyhow.  Even by some of the folks that would be affected (see @G650 and I've seen similar statements from ChiDoc)  No one bats an eye to propose the rich, or the churches, or the newly inherited pay more.  And maybe they should.  But its a similar argument, if one disregards their feels. 

Well I don't think Waffle House is helping.  Well, maybe psychologically.  All of our souls, for the last six years, have been scattered, smothered, and covered.  

What most posters on here don't realize is CR is not an echo chamber between each other.  It's just the place on the greeting card we write to our loved ones what we can't say out loud.  We are men with no country, political operators without a cause, ministers without portfolio. 

For some reason, I wasn't invited to the 2016 meeting where my old party sealed its fate.  Maybe they didn't invite me because they knew something about me that I didn't see at first.  I'm a mouthy, lazy, uncooperative cunt.  But I didn't get the memo despite that.  Because of that bullshit critical thinking crap I always pull outta my ass at the last minute.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No one bats an eye to propose the rich, or the churches, or the newly inherited pay more.  And maybe they should.  But its a similar argument, if one disregards their feels. 

Incorrect.  Unless the proposal is that they pay "so they have skin in the game."

If instead, the proposal is that the rich, or those inheriting large sums, pay more because they have more to pay, and even after paying that, will still have a lot, that's the core argument for a progressive tax model.  Additionally, fiscally, it makes sense.  We can throw more tax punches at the poor, but while each punch really sucks for them, ultimately, it doesn't improve our tax collection bottom line a whole lot.

And again, popping me for another $200 doesn't hurt at all.   Popping someone who is struggling to pay rent for another $200 can be devastating.

It's about a progressive (not regressive) tax system that makes fiscal sense, AND does the least amount of actual "harm" (tying back to a strong basis for a progressive tax system).  The moral basis is "pay for government while causing the least amount of 'pain'."  Seems pretty moral to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The real argument for a progressive tax structure is that the rich benefit from government more than the poor do.

It's among the arguments, but it's not the only or even primary.  Mainly because measuring something that complex and multi-layered is functionally impossible.  But yes, the rich benefit a great deal from the government, and all of the apparatus and infrastructure in place, than a poor person usually does.  It's just that the benefits to the poor are usually more direct (e.g., SNAP benefits), versus the layered benefits I get from having a functioning court system, a good highway system to allow for the easy and safe transit of the goods I make and sell, etc.

Bottom line, we ALL benefit from the society and infrastructure that is maintained by taxes and fees.  And we ALL pay into it.  Every last one of us.

Even if I was completely self interested, not sure how making the poor pay more, when they can't afford what they pay already, helps me.  It's a small amount of money at best, because you can't get blood from a stone. And what's the end result?  More homeless?  More people in prison?  More people using the emergency room for primary care so that we're all paying their hospital bills?  Maybe one of them can rear end my car, but not have been able to afford insurance.  Or worked at the grocery store while sick, giving it to me.

I can't believe we're even debating that the country is a better place to live if we don't shit on the poor.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Even if I was completely self interested, not sure how making the poor pay more, when they can't afford what they pay already, helps me.  It's a small amount of money at best, because you can't get blood from a stone. And what's the end result?  More homeless?  More people in prison?  More people using the emergency room for primary care so that we're all paying their hospital bills?  Maybe one of them can rear end my car, but not have been able to afford insurance.  Or worked at the grocery store while sick, giving it to me.

I can't believe we're even debating that the country is a better place to live if we don't shit on the poor.

It's not about helping you, it's about punishing them for having the temerity for being a poor in America! You've got bootstraps, dontcha??? If we make things too easy then the poors may forget how to use those bootstraps to create shareholder value!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The real argument for a progressive tax structure is that the rich benefit from government more than the poor do.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.  A flatter tax benefits the rich over all other classes because they continue to reap the benefits of their wealth and position, and yet pay even less to accrue those benefits.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's not about helping you, it's about punishing them for having the temerity for being a poor in America! You've got bootstraps, dontcha??? If we make things too easy then the poors may forget how to use those bootstraps to create shareholder value!

Hell yea get off your ass and go get a boat!! Hope his boats fucking sink 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Partial credit. 

So at least you admit you do 0% research. You act on feelings? Wonder why you “feel” that way. Cause bad actors (Rush, Tucker, Hannity) influence you. 

Face it, you are a low information voter who is too lazy to look up facts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somewhat related, how expensive it is to be poor:

Spoiler

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordablepair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles. But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. This was the Captain Samuel Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Somewhat related, how expensive it is to be poor:

Hide contents

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordablepair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles. But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. This was the Captain Samuel Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

No!!!!! 
You are poor cause you are lazy. @fattyflattie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Wanted to add. 
I too was a low information voter before 2016. Just believed everything GOP said. 
It is so fucking easy to research stuff nowadays. 0% reason to be a low information voter. 

Low information? I can read (apparently unlike yourself) all I need.  It’s right on the end of the candidates name.