sir, before you chastise these two officers, i think there's something you should know

henrygandorf

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It just dawned on me that Ron White lifted his act from Beverly Hills Cop.   Which, admittedly, was a better choice than Bill Engvall lifting his act from Old Yeller.

The supercop story is my favorite bit, so I won't quote any other lines.  I just miss movies like Beverly Hills Cop.  It is type of movie that has been displaced by Marvel type movies now, since superhero movies are essentially the "action comedy" genre for today's industry.   

Yep - hollywood doesn't make comedy movies anymore, even for streaming.  All the quotes threads we have are from movies from 15-40 years ago, and not just because we are old.  

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The supercop story is my favorite bit, so I won't quote any other lines.  I just miss movies like Beverly Hills Cop.  It is type of movie that has been displaced by Marvel type movies now, since superhero movies are essentially the "action comedy" genre for today's industry.   

the 80's had so many great action comedies that completely hold up today.  bhc2 is great.  running scared, midnight run, 48 hours, spies like us, and so forth.  you also have adventure movies with some laughs like indiana jones and the last crusade.  not sure how all these would get classified.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Wow. You know it says here that by the time the average American is 50, he has five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels."

"Why are you telling me this? What makes you think I have any interest in that at all?"

"Well, you eat a lot of red meat."

On 12/1/2022 at 11:59 AM, bschoolprof said:

Yep - hollywood doesn't make comedy movies anymore, even for streaming.  All the quotes threads we have are from movies from 15-40 years ago, and not just because we are old.  

It's because we as a society forgot how to laugh.

It's a bigger problem than most folks are willing to admit.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:54 AM, slorch said:

It's because we as a society forgot how to laugh.

It's a bigger problem than most folks are willing to admit.

Oh it's a big problem alright.  And it's beyond any neuroses I've ever seen.

I saw there was apparently some outrage over the Drew Brees lightning commercial...........  as it was offensive to lightning strike survivors and families of those killed by lightning.

Additionally, a Venezuelan environmentalist plans to file a lawsuit, stating “It demonstrates a disinformation campaign about one of the most extraordinary meteorological phenomena on the planet, turned into advertising merchandise without any scruples,"

• Rage+1 1

On 12/1/2022 at 11:59 AM, bschoolprof said:

I was about to say The Hangover, but then I remembered how old that movie is.

As for action-comedy, I thought Bullet Train wasn't too bad. I chuckled out loud a few times. I've also heard (but haven't yet seen) Violent Night brings a few lols.

• 2 weeks later...