Edge position

hornlife

Sorry if wrong forum, it wouldn't let me post in Football.

Can one of you more experienced football people help me understand what the Edge position is?  When I went to UT - mostly Mackovic years - Priest, Ricky, etc we ran a defense I understood, 4-3-4 Stoney Clark in the middle along with other great players.  Edge to me meant a DE usually 250lbs or more. It seems like all the "Edge" people we are recruiting are what I think of as LB 220ish guys.  So is an "Edge" position what I would relate to an outside LB? Are true DE types gone in modern defenses? I just look at all these 210-220ish guys that to me (yea, I'm old) scream LB - like Walton, Burke, Finkley, etc but we have LB depth issues? To me it it seems like we have tons of LB bodies but I'm clearly missing something about DE vs. Edge now. 

Thank you BBA MPA from UT

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Can one of you more experienced football people help me understand what the Edge position is?  When I went to UT - mostly Mackovic years - Priest, Ricky, etc we ran a defense I understood, 4-3-4 Stoney Clark in the middle along with other great players.  Edge to me meant a DE usually 250lbs or more. It seems like all the "Edge" people we are recruiting are what I think of as LB 220ish guys.  So is an "Edge" position what I would relate to an outside LB? Are true DE types gone in modern defenses? I just look at all these 210-220ish guys that to me (yea, I'm old) scream LB - like Walton, Burke, Finkley, etc but we have LB depth issues? To me it it seems like we have tons of LB bodies but I'm clearly missing something about DE vs. Edge now. 

I'm confused too, I clearly recall the Mackovic years and I don't remember seeing any Defense.

1 hour ago, hornlife said:

They used to go by WDE, SDE, and OLB, but apparently that was too much work. In general the WDE in a 4 man front is very similar to OLB in a 3 man front, so they combined them to EDGE.  OLB in a 3 DL front can be identical to a DE in a 4 man front. When they say 3 man front, it means 3 DL. You can still have 4-5 people on the LOS (usually LBs) and it would still be a 3 man front.

Here is a 4-2
image.png.4ac8e1a4679508b580be32a51e974299.png

Here is a 3-3 

image.png.11d6b16f4b936ad70eb222e3973847dd.png

http://www.blitzology.com/2016/01/hybridizing-3-3-stack-defense-with-4.html

In this case S is essentially playing the same role as a DE in the 4-2. There is more nuance to it, but that is the general gist

Edited by Codaxx

Thank you all, especially Codaxx.  I know that response took time and effort.  927 - yea but I loved being at the game in SA to beat Nebraska - 1 second and we torched their program. Defense was good enough. Seeing that 4th down TE call was glorious. 

Bad_teammate - how heavy do they need to be for that? Clearly I'm wrong on what we need.  bschoolprof and I had similar misunderstandings it sounds like.  Is 220lbs enough now?

24 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Thank you all, especially Codaxx.  I know that response took time and effort.  927 - yea but I loved being at the game in SA to beat Nebraska - 1 second and we torched their program. Defense was good enough. Seeing that 4th down TE call was glorious. 

Bad_teammate - how heavy do they need to be for that? Clearly I'm wrong on what we need.  bschoolprof and I had similar misunderstandings it sounds like.  Is 220lbs enough now?

Edge just means edge rusher and it originated from draftniks wanting to use one term to categorize edge rusher prospects regardless of whether they played in a 3-4 or 4-3 in college. So either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB counts as an edge, regardless of whether they play with their hand on the ground or a 2 point stance. 

There’s no specific size for an edge because it’s a general position, like DL or LB. It depends on the specific defensive scheme you’re talking about.

For Kwiatkowski, he usually has a weak side edge that’s about 240ish and a strong side edge that’s about 260ish. Ovie (6’3-240) and Sorrell (6-4, 260) are pretty representative of the two body types of edges PK normally uses. However, it’s more about skill set than size so that can change based on his personnel. 

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Edge just means edge rusher and it originated from draftniks wanting to use one term to categorize edge rusher prospects regardless of whether they played in a 3-4 or 4-3 in college. So either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB counts as an edge, regardless of whether they play with their hand on the ground or a 2 point stance. 

There’s no specific size for an edge because it’s a general position, like DL or LB. It depends on the specific defensive scheme you’re talking about.

For Kwiatkowski, he usually has a weak side edge that’s about 240ish and a strong side edge that’s about 260ish. Ovie (6’3-240) and Sorrell (6-4, 260) are pretty representative of the two body types of edges PK normally uses. However, it’s more about skill set than size so that can change based on his personnel. 

This is gold to help!

18 hours ago, hornlife said:

Bad_teammate - how heavy do they need to be for that? 

First off, I'm an idiot who knows nothing.

That being said... Heavy enough to have the strength to keep a lineman's hands off him, but not heavy enough to be able to plug/hold an inside gap (whereas I'd want a DE to be able to hold a gap at least to SOME extent, but I'd expect my EDGE to get washed out if an interior lineman really got his hands on him). I guess weight numbers there would be frame-dependent?

What I, a moron, would look for is long "get the fuck off me" arms and lateral speed.