Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3

mdmost

Just got back. Really enjoyed it. Gunn can craft a great story. The Rocket origin was so well done. Love how they tied back everything with the first and 2nd films and capped off the storyline for each character. 

The Legendary Star-Lord will return was interesting though. Does that mean we're getting a spin-off? Groot and Rocket coming back makes sense. Not that difficult with CGI and ADR. I know Dave Bautista wants to move on to non-superhero films. 

I hope Gunn can make the DC universe not suck. I have high hopes even if I'm tired of DC stories. 

Edited by mdmost

So Gunn pretty much confirmed a fan theory about Groot’s final words in the movie:

Spoiler

Groot does not actually say “I love you guys”, but after spending several movies on this journey, we the audience are finally able to interpret “I am Groot” like the rest of the Guardians.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Legendary Star-Lord will return was interesting though. Does that mean we're getting a spin-off?

Either recast via the multiverse or he’s going to show up in a team-up movie only.

Saldaña is 100% done playing Gamora and hope it’ll be recast, so I could see them being pulled from the multiverse with new actors

On 5/6/2023 at 6:49 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

Good end to the saga. Who would have thought a cyborg otter, a walrus in a wheelchair, and rabbit-spider could create so much dust. Some Toy Story level feels in this one.

This. Everytime they were talking in the cages, i thought one of them would get plucked out to be incinerated. I was on edge the entire time

On 5/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I also really enjoyed a break from the Multiverse/Kang.  It was nice that they gave this movie the space to tell the Guardians’ story without overburdening it to push the multiverse saga along.  

They did the same with Thor, the original heroes got to have their trilogy arc

On 5/6/2023 at 8:35 PM, Lhorn said:

I’m not at all a comic book movie guy, especially Marvel, but I really like this franchise.  Good movie.  

This is me. The only marvel movies I've liked other than this series was the Thor one where Asgard was destroyed. (I haven't seen anywhere near all of them though). And I only watched them after going to Disney Land this summer and riding the Guardians ride, which had videos with the Guardians and a "tour" through the Collector's lair/home/whatever and a hilarious animatronic Rocket "guide".

edit: California Adventure Land, not Disney Land.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

Fun movie. Better than GOTG2 but that's not a high bar to clear. If it's better than Quantumania, not by much. Def better than BP2. And as everyone else said, it was a good send off for the guardians. The new Marvels movie looks terrible, wtf is that..

On 5/7/2023 at 7:50 PM, Guadaloopy said:

So Gunn pretty much confirmed a fan theory about Groot’s final words in the movie:

Hide contents

Groot does not actually say “I love you guys”, but after spending several movies on this journey, we the audience are finally able to interpret “I am Groot” like the rest of the Guardians.  

That's exactly how I interpreted it, seemed like the obvious intention.  I liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Question- the last end credits scene- what was Quill referring to, wrt the 45 year old guy watching him mow the lawn? Is that a reference to some other Matvel character or set up? Or was it just two dudes yakking about the neighbors. 

Edited by statsman

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Question- the last end credits scene- what was Quill referring to, wrt the 45 year old guy watching him mow the lawn? Is that a reference to some other Matvel character or set up? Or was it just two dudes yakking about the neighbors. 

The later

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2023 at 12:44 AM, ballrific said:

Fun movie. Better than GOTG2 but that's not a high bar to clear. If it's better than Quantumania, not by much. Def better than BP2. And as everyone else said, it was a good send off for the guardians. The new Marvels movie looks terrible, wtf is that..

Just saw it and can't believe how wrong this post was. Yes it was a fun enough movie, but GOTG2 was way better. GOTG2 was good. And while this movie was very mid, it blew Quantumania out of the water. 

All the movies lately have sucked, BP2, aforementioned Quantamania, the last Dr Strange, but this one was the best of the bunch and Rocket has always been my least favorite character and always annoyed me, so getting this emotional context actually helped to like him more.