This is why we have the Death Penalty

RPM

6 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

That piece-of-shit animal commits the crime in Travis County and he's looking at 5 years probation. 

recently sat on a travis county jury. two counts of extra (or super or whatever the elevation is) aggravated sexual assault of a minor.

we found that dude guilty and he'll likely never be a free man again (i don't know his exact sentence, he asked for the judge to do that bit, and i haven't really felt like following up). 

i know travis county is an easy target because of dwi and drug possession sentences don't lock people up forever, but the county does seem to take its criminal court responsibility very seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

recently sat on a travis county jury. two counts of extra (or super or whatever the elevation is) aggravated sexual assault of a minor.

we found that dude guilty and he'll likely never be a free man again (i don't know his exact sentence, he asked for the judge to do that bit, and i haven't really felt like following up). 

i know travis county is an easy target because of dwi and drug possession sentences don't lock people up forever, but the county does seem to take its criminal court responsibility very seriously. 

We're soft on crime in Travis County overall. That's not a big revelation. We have a DA that's a tapeworm. If you could find any more details on the sentencing that would be helpful. I guess when we say he'll likely never be a free man again vs. not knowing the person's sentence then there's quite a bit of latitude there. 

Thanks for the feedback.  

20 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

We're soft on crime in Travis County overall. That's not a big revelation. We have a DA that's a tapeworm. If you could find any more details on the sentencing that would be helpful. I guess when we say he'll likely never be a free man again vs. not knowing the person's sentence then there's quite a bit of latitude there. 

Thanks for the feedback.  

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-convicted-of-super-aggravated-sexual-assault-connected-to-offenses-starting-in-2012/

i don't know how to look up his sentence, if he has been sentenced yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a contract delivery driver in Austin for several gig companies, including Amazon. FedEx and UPS have seasonal contract drivers who use their own vehicles to help deliver packages during the holidays. Usually a trailer or storage box is placed somewhere with packages inside and the driver makes repeated trips to it to fill up and then go back out. They usually have an actually employed driver also working that area in a company vehicle as a lead. I have some friends who do it every year. I assumed this guy was one of those and thought no one would be able to connect him to FedEx since he wasn't in their vehicle. What the fuck goes through someone's mind to be out working and see a kid and think, "Yeah, I've got time to grab her and rape her and kill her and dump the body before I have to go back for my next set of deliveries."

That being said, I see kids all the time when delivering. Sometimes I wonder where the parent is or why a kid that young is walking around a neighborhood alone - exactly because of shit like this. I've even told my wife I don't like our kids outside in the front by themselves, even playing with friends - especially my 6yo daughter. It would be very simple for a car to pull up quick and grab her and be gone.

I was talking to another friend about this story today and she's ready to send weekly care packages to everyone in whatever prison he goes to - just to make sure this guy's life is a living hell until he dies. She wants him raped and beaten every single day - but not killed outright - because she wants him to suffer.

16 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I was talking to another friend about this story today and she's ready to send weekly care packages to everyone in whatever prison he goes to - just to make sure this guy's life is a living hell until he dies. She wants him raped and beaten every single day - but not killed outright - because she wants him to suffer.

@YGIFS is Finkel? Finkel is Einhorn? 

That being said, I see kids all the time when delivering. Sometimes I wonder where the parent is or why a kid that young is walking around a neighborhood alone - exactly because of shit like this.

While this was horrific, stranger abductions are really rare. There are only around 120 per year in the US. It seems like it’s more because many end up on the national news. While you always have to weigh risk, kids playing in the front yard is very low risk. They’re more likely to be killed by a falling branch from a tree than being abducted by a stranger.

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

While this was horrific, stranger abductions are really rare. There are only around 120 per year in the US. It seems like it’s more because many end up on the national news. While you always have to weigh risk, kids playing in the front yard is very low risk. They’re more likely to be killed by a falling branch from a tree than being abducted by a stranger.

Hopefully, that branch gets repeatedly raped in prison. 

The Wise County Sheriff’s Office deputy who wrote the affidavit supporting the arrest warrant said Horner told investigators he panicked after accidentally backing into Athena with the delivery van. She was not seriously injured, Horner said, but he grabbed her and put her in the van because he was afraid she would tell her father what happened, according to the warrant. 

Horner told the investigators that he first tried unsuccessfully to break the child’s neck and then strangled her and left her body in the water on the edge of the Trinity River near Boyd. Her body was recovered Dec. 2 at the location Horner gave to authorities during their interview, the warrant says.

They are going to seek death. If this is paywall’d, I’ll post it all later. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article269781527.html

• Like 1

It’s beyond nauseating and horrifying. I’ve read a couple of articles that alluded to a camera inside the van (my guess is to track packages and such.) that she was seen inside the van on camera. At any rate, I think the fact they are seeking the DP (after he confessed and led them to her body) means they are extra pissed about his “confession.” I highly doubt it happened in the way he described wither the exception of how he tried to kill her and then eventually did kill her. I am assuming he doesn’t want the real motive known for obvious reasons. What a POS. I would also assume that very little matches up with the hit her accidentally with his van and panicked scenario. It’s unfortunate because now there will be a trial and appeals and all that. I suspect he wasn’t truthful (entirely) in his confession. Fuck him and anyone who thinks he should be kept alive or can be rehabilitated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tanner Horner has been charged with three counts of sexual assault of a child under 17 in Tarrant County, according to court records.

Horner, the FedEx contract driver who was arrested Dec. 2 on charges of murder and kidnapping in the death of 7-year-old Athena Strand, is in the Wise County Jail with a $1 million bond for capital murder and a $500,000 bond for aggravated kidnapping.

The three new charges are out of Tarrant County and are not related to Athena’s case, Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin confirmed to the Wise County Messenger.  

The sexual assault charges were filed Wednesday after an investigation by the Fort Worth Police Department. 

From court records it appears the charges are related to three separate incidents which all occurred in 2013 in Tarrant County. It’s not clear if all three charges involve the same victim.

Horner’s first court appearance related to these charges is set for Jan. 5, 2023.

A woman posted on Facebook immediately after Horner’s Dec. 2 arrest that he had sexually assaulted her eight years ago and that she had reached out to investigators to tell her story. It’s unclear if she is the victim involved in the new charges.