USMNT 2023

ztejas

Completely disagree on Robinson, but you do this with players, like your relentless criticism of Carr. What's funny is, despite his shortcomings, Antonee is one of the best left backs the US has ever fielded. Doesn't say much because there haven't been many of quality.

But ... you get binge-angry and need a scapegoat for your disappointment, so carry on, I guess.

As for managers, Pep would be a bad choice. He has a system and our players don't fit it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Completely disagree on Robinson, but you do this with players, like your relentless criticism of Carr. What's funny is, despite his shortcomings, Antonee is one of the best left backs the US has ever fielded. Doesn't say much because there haven't been many of quality.

But ... you get binge-angry and need a scapegoat for your disappointment, so carry on, I guess.

As for managers, Pep would be a bad choice. He has a system and our players don't fit it.

Robinson helped that dude pitch a tent and camp on our back post for that 3rd goal just when we had hope. All I needed to see, inexcusable.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Robinson helped that dude pitch a tent and camp on our back post for that 3rd goal just when we had hope. All I needed to see, inexcusable.

So you also want to get rid of Adams and Dest then, right? They failed to follow their runners on Holland's first two goals. All you need to see. Inexcusable. Gotta cut them, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So you also want to get rid of Adams and Dest then, right? They failed to follow their runners on Holland's first two goals. All you need to see. Inexcusable. Gotta cut them, right?

Losing track of free runners and letting a dude parallel park in the far side are different things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

Gergg won't be fired, so...

Gregg won't have to be fired, he just isn't going to get his contract renewed. It was through the WC.

Anyone that watched this team understand they underachieved. Their ceiling was the QF like Ztejas said elsewhere. We didn't get there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Sucks to lose. But we looked like we should have been playing on a different field entirely today. That’s on the coach.

Serious question as I’ve not followed the USMNT: what is or are the major issues with Berhalter? His record isn’t egregious, but like I said I haven’t followed much. I’ll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Since they each led to goals taken by unmarked shooters, they really weren't.

How much soccer do you watch, Hank?

Not much outside of international play these last couple years. But, I played left back on scholarship before transferring to Texas so I do have some knowledge of this particular situation, and it was embarrassing at this level of play. 

How much soccer have you played, Braff?

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Robinson was a fucking 2 today, dude. You know I like you as a poster. You don't need to call me drunk and angry because I'm calling a terrible tournament performance the way I see it. I'm fine with a little ad hominem but don't insult my knowledge of the game. Antonee was the worst player on the pitch today. 

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not much outside of international play these last couple years. But, I played left back on scholarship before transferring to Texas so I do have some knowledge of this particular situation, and it was embarrassing at this level of play. 

How much soccer have you played, Braff?

Is this where we start the soccer credentials thread?

If you played, then you should realize good players have bad plays ... and bad days. Your original comment was colossally stupid and you should walk it back. Antonee lost his man. So did Dest. So did Adams. Holland capitalized on all three. Guess we gotta cut 'em loose, though, right?

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Robinson was a fucking 2 today, dude. You know I like you as a poster. You don't need to call me drunk and angry because I'm calling a terrible tournament performance the way I see it. I'm fine with a little ad hominem but don't insult my knowledge of the game. Antonee was the worst player on the pitch today. 

Not his best day, no arguing that. But you do this with guys, just harp on them endlessly, when you know better. A bad day does not equal a bad career. You and Hank are only this angry because your team lost ... and you're looking for players/posters to take it out on. Do better.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also - Braff - you're saying Pep would be a bad choice? The greatest manager of the past 25 years would be a bad choice? 

Bruh. He'd figure it out. 

No, as stated before, he has a system and our players don't fit it. It's idiotic to propose he'd be the right man for the job, and borderline delusional to think he'd even consider it.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Is this where we start the soccer credentials thread?

If you played, then you should realize good players have bad plays ... and bad days. Your original comment was colossally stupid and you should walk it back. Antonee lost his man. So did Dest. So did Adams. Holland capitalized on all three. Guess we gotta cut 'em loose, though, right?

Not his best day, no arguing that. But you do this with guys, just harp on them endlessly, when you know better. A bad day does not equal a bad career. You and Hank are only this angry because your team lost ... and you're looking for players/posters to take it out on. Do better.

No, as stated before, he has a system and our players don't fit it. It's idiotic to propose he'd be the right man for the job, and borderline delusional to think he'd even consider it.

You aren't seeing the board right right now my man. Take a few plays off.

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Its Me Success GIF by Major League Soccer

• Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Its Me Success GIF by Major League Soccer

Jesus didn't concede 2 goals on the day. 

Don't get me wrong - Jesus was terrible. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He marked a man, just not the right one.

That's sort of an important distinction. 

Or is that an example of me thread-policing and offending somebody. Maybe senior leadership can chime in @Captain Ron @Napoleon (even though that latter guy is an Argentine cocksucker 😁)

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's sort of an important distinction

It is, but it’s more defensible than adams and dest ball watching and not doing anything.  For those specific plays. 

dumphries wasn’t even down at first, he snuck down and joined after things were set up on the left side.  I don’t know, it it Robinson’s job to be looking around and risk being late to react to the guy he is marking?

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

On the last goal, it’s not like Robinson was doing nothing. He marked a man, just not the right one. That guy joined the attack late and there was no communication or adjustment, even after it looked like turner saw him and pointed to him. 

Yea, if he’d come in late and scored running it would’ve been reasonable. It’s the standing put for forever with no vision or checking that has me miffed.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It is, but it’s more defensible than adams and dest ball watching and not doing anything.  For those specific plays. 

dumphries wasn’t even down at first, he snuck down and joined after things were set up on the left side.  I don’t know, it it Robinson’s job to be looking around and risk being late to react to the guy he is marking?

I think the entire backline including Adams was bad today. 

The difference between Dest and Robinson is that Dest was actually dangerous down the right in attack while Antonee has done little but trip over his own dick this tournament when it comes to doing anything past midfield. 

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

But I would ask what you mean that isn’t his international soccer works?

You get a 4 year window and then you get rotated. Even the US traditionally abides by this. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Why are you trying to ruin my Saturday. 

I’m not saying keep Gregg. The guy is brain dead and a waste of our talent.

But we could and maybe should (if we get the right guy) get a coach that can be here a few cycles and build something.

It’s one reason why I found the Gregg hire to be such a dud. He was never going to be in the role many cycles. He was just for 2022 and done.

I think as we grow as a soccer nation we need to grow this role. Make it many cycles. 

watch - Herdman is going to stay with Canada. Many others are going to stay with their teams. Continuity counts for a lot. We should aim for the same. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I’m not saying keep Gregg. The guy is brain dead and a waste of our talent.

But we could and maybe should (if we get the right guy) get a coach that can be here a few cycles and build something.

It’s one reason why I found the Gregg hire to be such a dud. He was never going to be in the role many cycles. He was just for 2022 and done.

I think as we grow as a soccer nation we need to grow this role. Make it many cycles. 

watch - Herdman is going to stay with Canada. Many others are going to stay with their teams. Continuity counts for a lot. We should aim for the same. 

I think we move on. I refuse to believe we won't. 

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Has the USMNT ever moved on from a coach that reached the knockout stage? 

Arena? Nope

Klinnsman? Nope

Bradley? Nope

Well let's see:

1994 - Bora - we fired him the next year

2002 - Arena - kept him for 2006, disaster

2010 - Bradley - kept him for the next cycle, didn't make it through 2011 Gold Cup

2014 - Klinsmann - kept him, he didn't make it trough 2016 qualifying

so now we are at 2022 ...

Frankly, unless we are looking at a multi-year project (again, see what I am talking about with Germany, Italy, England, France, etc), Gregg isn't the guy. Get him out and move on.

• Like 1

I just want to add to this, I am not advocating keeping Gregg. 

What I am advocating is changing how we think of the National Team coach job. It shouldn't be a rotation job.

And it shouldn't be reactionary - we succeeded!  Keep him and try again!

That's not the way to do it. We should look at this from year 1 of a coach - let's look at 8, 12 years for this guy. Hire him as the guy for a long project. And the World Cups and Gold Cups are the markers that show we are on track. And if they are, he stays on. We don't even have to have HUGE success, just see that we are developing. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He really can't be better. He was phenomenal all WC. 

He's going to catch on at ARS and win the starting job @shadow_operative

he's been great for the usmnt and there's been nothing to complain about at Arsenal. we know he's a shot stopper, but it's his footwork and distributing bag have gotten so much better in such a short time at Arsenal. he's a solid backup for Ramsdale, and if he ever did have to come in for an extended stretch he wouldn't be someone i was worried about not being able to meet the moment.

• Like 1