USMNT 2023

ztejas

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And the World Cups and Gold Cups are the markers that show we are on track. 

I really thought after Copa America Centenario in 2016 that we were going to see something work out where that becomes the standard moving forward between the confederations. Are they still waiting on the right bribe or something? 

• Drool 1

Hopefully not too many of our guys will get worn out by the European rat race and return to a nice payday and the cozy confines of MLS.  I can definitely envision Pulisic and McKennie in MLS by the next World Cup.  4 years is an eternity in international soccer and our 2026 roster will look much different than we currently expect.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's been great for the usmnt and there's been nothing to complain about at Arsenal. we know he's a shot stopper, but it's his footwork and distributing bag have gotten so much better in such a short time at Arsenal. he's a solid backup for Ramsdale, and if he ever did have to come in for an extended stretch he wouldn't be someone i was worried about not being able to meet the moment.

I thought that one game he got thrown into wasn't fair at all to him and he got criticized heavily. Was that a Europa match? 

He's going to be a really good keeper. 

11 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Hopefully not too many of our guys will get worn out by the European rat race and return to a nice payday and the cozy confines of MLS.  I can definitely envision Pulisic and McKennie in MLS by the next World Cup.  4 years is an eternity in international soccer and our 2026 roster will look much different than we currently expect.

office-space-ajau-naidu.gif 

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

office-space-ajau-naidu.gif 

He's the most negative poster here. I'm pretty sure he quit acknowledging me because he was constantly losing the logic battle when it came to him saying shit like we had the worst back line of any team in the WC.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's the most negative poster here. I'm pretty sure he quit acknowledging me because he was constantly losing the logic battle when it came to him saying shit like we had the worst back line of any team in the WC.

Arguably, but you are without question the dumbest poster here.  I stopped acknowledging you because you are a blithering idiot.  And I stand by my post that we would have had the worst CB pairing in the WC had Gregg gone with Long-Zimmerman as most expected given the post-Robinson injury lineups.  And my other prediction that we would have the worst 9 in the WC wasn't exactly disproven.  Logic battle? You are half a retard incapable of logical thought. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's been great for the usmnt and there's been nothing to complain about at Arsenal. we know he's a shot stopper, but it's his footwork and distributing bag have gotten so much better in such a short time at Arsenal. he's a solid backup for Ramsdale, and if he ever did have to come in for an extended stretch he wouldn't be someone i was worried about not being able to meet the moment.

I loved how he seemed to want to push the counter attack.  

With automatic qualification for 2026, where are we going to get competitive matches over the next 4 years?

I hope we beg our way into the Copa and actually take a 1st team.  We should be doing that as often as they will have us anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the last thing we need is for our young studs to suddenly start taking the michael bradley career path. 

No question, but bringing USMNT stars back from Europe before they turn 30 is now an MLS strategic priority.  Wait until their second Euro contract runs down and bring them back as a DP through a manageable transfer fee.  

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

No question, but bringing USMNT stars back from Europe before they turn 30 is now an MLS strategic priority.  Wait until their second Euro contract runs down and bring them back as a DP through a manageable transfer fee.  

Waste of the prime years of these players if they did that.

If the MLS is trying to grow the league, that is the wrong way to do it. 

The MLS needs to focus on story type shows. They need their own Welcome to Wrexham. Grow the league by getting interest in the players who are in it, the teams that are playing in it. Not in bringing big name players home.

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

With automatic qualification for 2026, where are we going to get competitive matches over the next 4 years?

I hope we beg our way into the Copa and actually take a 1st team.  We should be doing that as often as they will have us anyway.

There is zero reason for us not to participate in the 2024 Copa with an A team.  Gold Cup is in 2023 so there shouldn't be a conflict.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

But we could and maybe should (if we get the right guy) get a coach that can be here a few cycles and build something.

It’s one reason why I found the Gregg hire to be such a dud. He was never going to be in the role many cycles. He was just for 2022 and done.

I think as we grow as a soccer nation we need to grow this role. Make it many cycles. 

watch - Herdman is going to stay with Canada. Many others are going to stay with their teams. Continuity counts for a lot. We should aim for the same. 

Herdman is rightfully catching a lot of flak for his pre- and post-match actions versus Croatia ... but in the run up to the WC, he was nothing short of brilliant. Canada is in good hands. The USMNT, unfortunately, is not.

@Captain Ron is making some great points. We don't necessarily need to clean house every cycle. It just needs to happen here because Gergg has proven, time and time again, that he is not tactically or strategically sound.

And I hope @ztejas is right about it being a foregone conclusion that Gergg won't be renewed.

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Waste of the prime years of these players if they did that.

If the MLS is trying to grow the league, that is the wrong way to do it. 

The MLS needs to focus on story type shows. They need their own Welcome to Wrexham. Grow the league by getting interest in the players who are in it, the teams that are playing in it. Not in bringing big name players home.

The nightmare scenario is MLS becoming lucrative enough to implement the Liga MX model (i.e., overvalue USMNT players and pay them equivalent wages to stay home).  MLS does not care about the best interests of the USMNT as evidenced by the roster quotas. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

You cheering for TCU to win the National title Z well?   

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Herdman is rightfully catching a lot of flak for his pre- and post-match actions versus Croatia ... but in the run up to the WC, he was nothing short of brilliant. Canada is in good hands. The USMNT, unfortunately, is not.

@Captain Ron is making some great points. We don't necessarily need to clean house every cycle. It just needs to happen here because Gergg has proven, time and time again, that he is not tactically or strategically sound.

And I hope @ztejas is right about it being a foregone conclusion that Gergg won't be renewed.

My main point is that this job is an afterthought to coaches because we treat it as an afterthought. If we are going to replace coaches each cycle, then we are going to get exactly what we keep getting, non-top level coaches that don't want to pause their careers for 4 years to coach a national team.

We need to treat this job as a full time gig. You take it with the target of multiple cycles.

England hired Southgate in 2016 with the though he was in there for a long run. He's been there for 2 World Cups and a Euro. He's likely going to be there at least 1 or 2 more World Cups.

Germany brought in Lowe for a long run, 3 World Cups, 4 Euros. They likely are going to stick with Flick for at least 1 or 2 more World Cups.

France has been under Dechamps for 3 World Cups now, I agree he's had a ton of success, but that's stability.

Herdman can catch whatever flack he get's. It won't change that he will be their coach for the 2026 cup. And if they develop some new players, he will have success there. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

898AE71A-1806-4014-8627-564AAA0AD4DF.thumb.jpeg.458dc9291088c60fe74fdf31e09bda1e.jpeg
Just bad all around on multiple parts. One of the two on this guy needs to be communicating or taking a look. Keep should have been screaming his head off.

I brought this up to a few friends. No one on the back line is watching the line. They are all facing the ball. Perhaps we need a good sweeper to do just that. Run the defense. Keeper has other shit on his mind yet he is pointing to his left. 

40 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Arguably, but you are without question the dumbest poster here.  I stopped acknowledging you because you are a blithering idiot.  And I stand by my post that we would have had the worst CB pairing in the WC had Gregg gone with Long-Zimmerman as most expected given the post-Robinson injury lineups.  And my other prediction that we would have the worst 9 in the WC wasn't exactly disproven.  Logic battle? You are half a retard incapable of logical thought. 

You don't like me because I disagree with you. It's as simple as that. I'm not a blithering idiot - I know what the fuck I'm talking about. 

Go start a support group with @closetojumping.

• Hook 'Em 1

APMP's 2026 Plan:

1. The goal for the USMNT in the 2026 World Cup, in front of what will be loud and rabid home crowds that pack NFL stadia, should be a run to the semi finals. If you don't think Berhalter can get us there (and I don't), then go moneywhip someone who can. Preferably someone with international managerial skins on the wall.

2. Keep this group of kids together and in competitive international matches as much as possible. Gold Cup, Copa America, whatever we host in 2025 in place of the Confederations Cup/Arab Cup, etc.

3. MLS continues to improve as a league, but it's not anywhere close to the quality of the major European leagues, and that's not gonna change by 2026. When we kick off in 2026, our squad needs to be as devoid as possible of the "MLS Specials" Berhalter seemed to love so much.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If we're talking about 2026, it starts with a manager that truly understands soccer at an international level. Pellegrino Matarazzo is available. I suggest him because USSF is hellbent on having an American manager. Matarazzo has lived in Germany since 2000 and was most recently managing Stuttgart. I believe he is 45, so maybe he could be the manager for at least two World Cup cycles to help build a better infrastructure with continuity.

We need a manager that wants the USMNT to play more friendly matches. These matches need to be away versus top European and South American sides. USSF wants to make money so to throw them a bone, invite African (e.g., Morocco, Senegal) and Asian teams (e.g., Japan, South Korea) for home friendly matches. Those home friendlies don't all have to be in Kansas City or Columbus, either. Play in cities that aren't USMNT strongholds to mentally toughen up the USMNT players.

The above is extremely crucial because there is no guarantee that the USMNT gets invited to the next Copa America and playing CONCACAF opponents is just not good preparation for the World Cup.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Donovan and Lalas already carrying water for GGG saying that "consistency" is what we need with the USMNT.

No, fellas, what we need is a coach who knows how to put the best players on the field, put them in a position to succeed, and adjust to the other team's gameplan instead of letting them cross easy balls into the box to wide open guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SpiralOut said:

Donovan and Lalas already carrying water for GGG saying that "consistency" is what we need with the USMNT.

No, fellas, what we need is a coach who knows how to put the best players on the field, put them in a position to succeed, and adjust to the other team's gameplan instead of letting them cross easy balls into the box to wide open guys. 

Oh, c'mon.

What's wrong with rolling out an entirely new formation--one the players haven't even deployed in a friendly--in an away World Cup qualifier, only to find yourself down 1-0 at the half before switching ack to what the players are familiar with on your way to winning 4-1?

In Gergg's eye, he's brilliant because he recognized his mistake and made the change. But a smart--or at least halfway decent manager--would not resort to a fuckup of that magnitude in the first place.

56 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

You should post more here. You get it. 

And yes - before anyone wants to comment - I should post less. That's been made clear to me by multiple of you assholes. 

Edited by ztejas

Greg is what he is and should be thanked and not renewed. We need a far better tactical approach than he can provide.

The only usmnt players that should come back to mls are those who can’t hack it for their Euro club and want a payday. Any who do should then be removed from serious consideration in the player pool.

Ream will have retired and Haji Wright will be 30, but everyone else on the roster who matters will be in their prime in 25/26. Our standard should be a top 4 euro league starting xi player.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, eljinca said:

The only usmnt players that should come back to mls are those who can’t hack it for their Euro club and want a payday. Any who do should then be removed from serious consideration in the player pool.

Ream will have retired and Haji Wright will be 30, but everyone else on the roster who matters will be in their prime in 25/26. Our standard should be a top 4 euro league starting xi player.

This is a double-edged sword because MLS is quickly becoming a very relevant international league. 

To your larger point - we shouldn't be putting domestic guys on the roster for the sake of them playing in the US. 

Granted, I'm not sure that was really our problem this go round. 

33 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Also going back through the mentions 

This is nonsense. Two of those players are keepers. Two of them should never touch the pitch. Of the remaining two, one of them is 19, the other one wasn't fit. 

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

If this is your opinion, it is entirely wrong. If you are just stating some public announcement of MLS’ strategic priorities, than fine.

A major issue holding back the USMNT is the commingling of MLS’s and US Soccer’s  priorities. The USMNT is not helped by keeping talent in mls or paying oversized salaries to talent that should be challenged in better leagues. Barring teenagers who are being showcased before they can move to europe, it’s a great fall back and oversized paydays for has-beens or never-hads from a USMNT perspective.

It should be no surprise that 9 players on the roster (and 5 starters today) have never had any affiliation with MLS. Everyone else barring Ream, Zimmerman and Turner left the moment they turned 18 (Adams, Aaronson, McKinney, Wright, Scally, even Shaq Moore).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a double-edged sword because MLS is quickly becoming a very relevant international league. 

To your larger point - we shouldn't be putting domestic guys on the roster for the sake of them playing in the US. 

This is nonsense. Two of those players are keepers. Two of them should never touch the pitch. Of the remaining two, one of them is 19, the other one wasn't fit. 

The MLS is a relevant league for mid-tier  European clubs (and rarely big clubs) poaching cheaper young talent and for Central American clubs to build talent pools their domestic leagues can’t afford. 

IMO, the MLS will never, and should never aspire, to compete with any of the big 4/5 European leagues. 

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

(I should add that the more mls and ussf can do to increase mls club funding to academies the better. The bigger the pond we create, the bigger fish we’ll find.)

Edited by eljinca