USMNT 2023

ztejas

The Centario format should be made permanent opposite the Euros.  WTF do we need yearly Gold Cups for anyway?

This assumes that COMNEBOL would be willing to sell out and let 6 CONCACAF teams in every time.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

wish we just join comnebol and bring our 4 or 4.5 or 5 spots (or whatever theyre gonna give us for the 48 team format) with us. Confeds aren't really gonna matter much for WCQ anymore but we could have one hell of a mid-cycle tournament

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

All of CONMEBOL (10 teams) and 6 CONCACAF teams is probably the best because going to 24 is a bit ridiculous if 14 teams need to be dredged out of CONCACAF shores.

Can we at least give them back Suriname and Guyana? I hate that we ended up with Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana (though they aren't as bad as the other two) even though they're on the continent.

1 hour ago, harold said:

https://t.co/C3hgS0QfxI

New contract talks for Gregg.  Ugh.

Based on the quotes in the article, this sounds like Gregg or his agent is acting like he has options - not that there is interest from US Soccer.

In that vein, I am also weighing my football managing options and have interest in managing in Europe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

fuck yes!!! and #BERHALTEROUT before then plz!

This is very, very awesome and part of what we need to take the next step. Something like this needs to be a regular fixture moving forward for both continents. I just saw this on my reddit feed and wanted to make sure it was posted here.

As for the thread y’all take it for awhile. Please. I am burnt the fuck out and I'm sure some of you could use a break from putting up with my ass. 

We've got a couple friendlies at the end of January. I'll be back. We have a run to make in 2026 that should hopefully piss a lot of people off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I had been looking for a longer stream of Gios goal, what it was etc. basically he created space and took the shot. Skills our team lacked in the final third all World Cup long.

Just the fact that he should be the centerpiece of what the 2026 team is, should be enough to keep Gergg far far away from this team after this cycle  

Athletic is quoting sources that said Gio was sulking the whole time and actually had to apologize to the entire team at one point. Not sure why everyone keeps assuming this is 100% a Gregg problem. Can't remember which game, but I kept my eyes on Gio during one of the post-game celebrations and his body language was shit.

Spoiler

Gio Reyna apologized to USMNT during World Cup for his lack of effort, sources say

Gio Reyna apologized to USMNT during World Cup for his lack of effort, sources say
By Paul Tenorio and Sam Stejskal
36m ago

Multiple sources close to the U.S. men’s national team have provided details to The Athletic that help explain attacker Gio Reyna’s lack of involvement at the World Cup.

The sources, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the matter, said that Reyna showed an alarming lack of effort in training ahead of the U.S.’s opening match of the tournament against Wales on Nov. 21, including in a scrimmage against Qatari club Al Gharafa SC on Nov. 17. Reyna’s lack of intensity in the scrimmage — sources described him walking around throughout his time on the field during what was otherwise an intense session — caused significant frustration within the team. The lack of effort was so pronounced that it was unclear whether Reyna was protecting against an injury or just frustrated that he was not set to be a starter against Wales.

The drama surrounding Reyna crescendoed during the Wales game, when Reyna threw his shin guards after not being subbed in, and then into a post-Wales training session in which Reyna’s lack of effort continued again. It prompted several veteran players to speak with Reyna, including DeAndre Yedlin and Aaron Long, who pulled him aside and urged him to show more effort moving forward.

The sources said that the situation became untenable and that it had to be addressed multiple times, including with the coaching staff, until, finally, Reyna stood up before a video session and apologized to his teammates for his initial lack of intensity and said he understood he was part of a collective group. After the apology, several players on the team spoke up to hold Reyna accountable for his actions. Sources said players believed the group and its culture would be able to overcome the issues after Reyna’s apology, and that the 20-year-old turned a corner in regards to his effort in training. Within the team, the issues with Reyna ended there, the sources said.

U.S. coach Gregg Berhalter appeared to reference the Reyna situation without naming the player at the HOW Institute for Society’s Summit on Moral Leadership in New York last Tuesday, comments that were published in a Charterworks newsletter this week.

“In this last World Cup, we had a player that was clearly not meeting expectations on and off the field,” Berhalter said. “One of 26 players, so it stood out. As a staff, we sat together for hours deliberating what we were going to do with this player. We were ready to book a plane ticket home, that’s how extreme it was. And what it came down to was, we’re going to have one more conversation with him, and part of the conversation was how we’re going to behave from here out. There aren’t going to be any more infractions.

“But the other thing we said to him was, you’re going to have to apologize to the group, but it’s going to have to say why you’re apologizing. It’s going to have to go deeper than just, ‘Guys, I’m sorry.’ And I prepped the leadership group with this. I said, ‘OK, this guy is going to apologize to you as a group, to the whole team.’ And what was fantastic in this whole thing is that after he apologized, they stood up one by one and said, ‘Listen, it hasn’t been good enough. You haven’t been meeting our expectations of a teammate and we want to see change.’ They really took ownership of that process. And from that day on there were no issues with this player.

“As a coach, the way you can deal with things most appropriately is going back to your values. Because it’s difficult to send a player home. It was going to be a massive controversy. You would have been reading about it for five days straight. But we were prepared to do it, because he wasn’t meeting the standards of the group, and the group was prepared to do it as well.”

Multiple attempts to reach Reyna’s agent were not immediately successful.

Some of the issues with Reyna leaked out into the public during the tournament after Reyna did not play against Wales.

Berhalter used his first four subs while the U.S. led that match 1-0, then chose to bring winger Jordan Morris on for Tim Weah after Wales equalized in the 82nd minute. After the match, Berhalter explained his decision to opt for Morris over Reyna, saying that “in the phase of the game that we were at, we went with Jordan, who we felt could give us something with speed and power.” He noted that the team had done a “last-minute check” on Reyna, deemed him “OK” and said that he envisioned him playing a role against England in the U.S.’s second match of the group stage.

Asked to clarify what the last-minute check was for, Berhalter said “you could see there was a little bit of tightness” during the scrimmage with Al Gharafa a few days prior, that the team had been “building him up” and that “we think he can play a big role in this tournament — question is when, and hopefully on Friday (against England) he’ll be one further step ahead.”

A few minutes later, Reyna told reporters in the mixed zone that he was fully healthy.

“I felt good, I felt ready to go,” Reyna said. “But it was just his decision.”

On the day of the England game, former U.S. national team forward Eric Wynalda brought up Reyna’s lack of playing time during a Twitter Spaces with LA Times columnist Dylan Hernandez. Wynalda claimed that there was “internal strife” within the team about Berhalter’s decision to not play Reyna. He also alleged that Berhalter lied to the media when he told reporters after the Wales match that he held Reyna out of that match because of an injury. Wynalda claimed that he had spoken with Gio’s father Claudio, the former U.S. captain and Berhalter’s childhood friend and teammate at multiple World Cups.

“With Gio Reyna out of the lineup right now, which has been a massive controversy within the team — even his own teammates are wanting him on the field and it seems to be (causing) internal strife with the (team) and manager Gregg Berhalter,” Wynalda said. “I don’t know how much I should comment on that, but I’ve been trying to console Gio’s father, Claudio, for the last couple of hours, well, the last couple of days with everything that’s been going on. He was fit to play, Berhalter did lie to the media and say that it was an injury, ask the player to kind of go along with that story, which caused a rift between the two of them and now he’s on the bench which is really unfortunate. The situation should have been handled very differently.”

Wynalda slightly backed off his initial comments in a tweet posted to his account the day after his initial comments.

Berhalter wasn’t asked about Wynalda’s claims in his press conferences before or after the England game, though he did clarify in an answer that it was a “coach’s decision” not to play Reyna against Wales. Reyna played seven minutes against England. Berhalter then was asked before the Iran game if there was any rift between him and Gio Reyna and if he had, as Wynalda alleged, lied to the media and instructed Reyna to tell reporters that he was hurt after the Wales match.

“Speaking of the four-year journey, right, there’s been also four years of interacting with you guys (the press contingent). And what I’d say is, you know, I’ll leave it to you to decide if I asked Gio to lie about it,” Berhalter said. “That’s just not who I am. That’s not what I represent. So, you know, if you have to take Eric’s word or my word or whatever, feel free, but I know what happened, that’s not what I represent. Like every other person, Gio is a member of this team that we care deeply for and we know can help the team. It’s a matter of when he can help us and how he can help us.”

Shortly after that response, Wynalda walked back his initial statement even further on his SiriusXM show.

Reyna didn’t end up playing against Iran on Nov. 29 as the U.S. spent the second half protecting a narrow 1-0 lead.

“I think a lot of it comes down to timing and circumstance,” Berhalter said before facing the Netherlands in the round of 16. “If you look at how the games have unfolded, we’ve had the lead and had to hold on to the lead later in games. The only game that we didn’t have that scenario, we actually put him in to help get the victory. So it’s just how we can use him in the most effective way. Really talented player, and we’re looking for the right moment. But he can, no doubt, help his team.”

Berhalter did use Reyna more significantly in the U.S.’s loss to the Netherlands on Dec. 3. Down 2-0 at halftime, he brought the Borussia Dortmund attacker on for the second half, then shifted him to the wing when he inserted center forward Haji Wright. Reyna largely failed to make an impact in the contest, ending his first World Cup having played a total of 52 minutes as the U.S. were eliminated having scored just three goals in four matches.

Reyna scored for Dortmund in a shortened, 60-minute friendly against Rapid Bucharest, the third-place team in the Hungarian SuperLiga on Saturday in the “Christmas Cup” in Bucharest.

Well, yeah...he's a pouty prima donna.  Roy Williams was the same way when he didn't get the ball early and often too, but feed him and his attitude changed pretty quick.  Probably wouldn't have been pouty if he was playing, like everyone knows he should have been.   

• Hook 'Em 4

I spoke/drank with Gio’s parents on Friday night. They really hate Gregg. I dislike him too because of the tactical and strategic faults, but fuck they are silly. His mom is a bitch. Gio could have helped us, but I think he’s too much like his mom. She was taking shit on the state of Texas and individuals that were 10 feet away from her. Not aware at all.  Very aggressively entitled.  

Claudio is whatever. I hope he does well at Austin FC, but they are not very cool. 

Just my opinion of course. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Well, yeah...he's a pouty prima donna.  Roy Williams was the same way when he didn't get the ball early and often too, but feed him and his attitude changed pretty quick.  Probably wouldn't have been pouty if he was playing, like everyone knows he should have been.   

lol, you serious bro?

It’s the fucking week before the World Cup and he is Lolly gagging all over the field to the point where all 25 of his teammates and all of his coaches notice his shit head attitude. That is 100% on the player for being a selfish cunt. He’s lucky they didn’t send him home after that scrimmage. 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, The Dog said:

GEEZUS Gio get your shit together.

I wouldnt put it all on Gio. It's probably 50/50 (much like the vote). A coach should be able to manage egos and make them a productive member of a team (Like Phil Jackson did for the Bulls and Lakers). Maybe Gio is just a total diva that cant be managed, but I am willing to take my chances with a new coach rather trust Gregg on this one (he seems to have been fine with Dortmund). Hopefully Gio will mature from this and be a big part of the WC in 2026. And hopefully we get a new coach because Gregg is twat to railroad a player like this to try and save his own ass. 

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

It’s the fucking week before the World Cup and he is Lolly gagging all over the field to the point where all 25 of his teammates and all of his coaches notice his shit head attitude. That is 100% on the player for being a selfish cunt. He’s lucky they didn’t send him home after that scrimmage. 

Looking at this photo…

6A9A093C-F920-4B1F-AA81-E0AD41C8EFE2.thumb.jpeg.c9826c153955916513dee2300d6fe962.jpeg

…I am surprised that no one has beaten the shit out of him yet in training. Who doesn’t want to punch that face?

It sucks when your team’s most talented player is an insufferable cunt. 

PS- The 2002 team did so well because Claudio Reyna was no longer player the #10, despite keeping the number. Moving him back and to the side did wonders for improving the USMNT’s speed and flow. 

Well, and the fact that Chris Armas got injured and instead of being a worthless midget at the #6 who was kept in the game every minute, he was gone and we could actually player someone who could be a positive force on the field.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Looking at this photo…

6A9A093C-F920-4B1F-AA81-E0AD41C8EFE2.thumb.jpeg.c9826c153955916513dee2300d6fe962.jpeg

…I am surprised that no one has beaten the shit out of him yet in training. Who doesn’t want to punch that face?

It sucks when your team’s most talented player is an insufferable cunt. 

PS- The 2002 team did so well because Claudio Reyna was no longer player the #10, despite keeping the number. Moving him back and to the side did wonders for improving the USMNT’s speed and flow. 

Well, and the fact that Chris Armas got injured and instead of being a worthless midget at the #6 who was kept in the game every minute, he was gone and we could actually player someone who could be a positive force on the field.

Good memory there.

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I wouldnt put it all on Gio. It's probably 50/50 (much like the vote). A coach should be able to manage egos and make them a productive member of a team (Like Phil Jackson did for the Bulls and Lakers). Maybe Gio is just a total diva that cant be managed, but I am willing to take my chances with a new coach rather trust Gregg on this one (he seems to have been fine with Dortmund). Hopefully Gio will mature from this and be a big part of the WC in 2026. And hopefully we get a new coach because Gregg is twat to railroad a player like this to try and save his own ass. 

the fact that essentially half the team voted to send him home *screams* "this is Gio's fault." it would have been a humongous story and a huge distraction for our team- which our guys knew- and yet half of them still thought it was worth it to send him packing. if the 13-12 vote thing is true then that's extremely damning for Gio. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the fact that essentially half the team voted to send him home *screams* "this is Gio's fault." it would have been a humongous story and a huge distraction for our team- which our guys knew- and yet half of them still thought it was worth it to send him packing. if the 13-12 vote thing is true then that's extremely damning for Gio. 

To be clear I am disgusted with both Gregg and Gio. Obviously a split vote from the players is an indictment on Gio's role but part of a coach's job is to manage egos and prevent situations like this from ever arising. I would like to know much more about this situation before we railroad Gio. Bottom line is, if he was this much of a cancer that they almost sent him packing, why play him at all versus Netherlands. Something is not adding up.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

To be clear I am disgusted with both Gregg and Gio. Obviously a split vote from the players is an indictment on Gio's role but part of a coach's job is to manage egos and prevent situations like this from ever arising. I would like to know much more about this situation before we railroad Gio. Bottom line is, if he was this much of a cancer that they almost sent him packing, why play him at all versus Netherlands. Something is not adding up.

Perhaps you missed the prt about his apologizing to the entire team. Also, perhaps he stopped acting like an entitled shit in practice. 

I don’t have any information about his practice habits, but it adds up pretty clearly for me, but I was always really good at math.

01B26B57-B05E-430A-AF63-59DB11DFCFEB.gif.59414c69f61ba612029856ab13e987ba.gif

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Perhaps you missed the prt about his apologizing to the entire team. Also, perhaps he stopped acting like an entitled shit in practice. 

I don’t have any information about his practice habits, but it adds up pretty clearly for me, but I was always really good at math.

01B26B57-B05E-430A-AF63-59DB11DFCFEB.gif.59414c69f61ba612029856ab13e987ba.gif

And now you look like an asshole because there wasnt even a vote. Maybe wait for the facts to come out before you act like a self righteous dick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1) I want Gregg gone. 

2) I want Gio to play.

3) I want Gio to stop with the whining bitch face or…

4) I want another USMNT player to punch him in the face.

5) I want Pepi, Weah, and Brandon Vazquez to get run at the #9.

6) I want Jesús Ferreira to go to a developmental league in Europe (Belgium, Netherlands, or Portugal) and play and excel before he gets any more run out with the USMNT, because right now the international game is WAY TOO FAST for him. If he never succeeds in Europe, then hen his international career is done, but he’s only 21, so he has two more windows to work towards becoming a good international. He just isn’t anywhere close to being ready for big boy soccer right now. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1