USMNT 2023

ztejas

48 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

It’s very strange we have heard zero reports about who is coaching us next cycle. The longer it goes, that can’t be good for Berhalter, right? Seems like if they were sticking with him they would have announced something by now. 

Actually, I think that they want him back, but he’s slow playing in see if he gets an offer from a Power 5 club. (Which be as awesome as it would be comical.)

On 12/29/2022 at 3:20 AM, Napoleon said:

Did not know that Weah’s dad scored a goal like this. Holy smokes!  (The second goal, not Messi’s goal.)

You didn't know that George Weah - the only African to ever win the Balon Dor - scored goals like that? 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You didn't know that George Weah - the only African to ever win the Balon Dor - scored goals like that? 

1) I didn’t know that he existed until his son declared for the USMNT.

2) I knew (after that) that he won the Ballon d’Or.

3) I had never seen a single highlight of his before this one.

4) I know that he is the president of Liberia.

• Haha 1

Just now, Napoleon said:

I hadn't seen that clip either but I figured that he had probably done some dope shit to win the Balon 😂

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I hadn't seen that clip either but I figured that he had probably done some dope shit to win the Balon 😂

He basically grabbed the defensive rebound and dribbled the length of the court before jamming it home. 

I have seen that in basketball. 

I had never seen that before in soccer.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Signed by Arsene Wenger for Monoco too in his first move to Europe.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Sigh

Daryl “Deek”

It’s “Dike” to rhyme with “bike” or “D. K.” (DEE-kay)…

It most definitely is not “Deek”.

You only want someone like Dike if you are planning to put in far and away more crosses than any team in the entire World Cup over the first 4 games.

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Have to be healthy to make the roster and he wasn't healthy so...

I remember, but Gregg showed since September 2021 that he didn’t know what the fuck he was trying to do, nor how to call in players for qualifiers. Dike, Pefok, and Vazquez should have been brought into several camps to get looks. 

Pefok was fed a cross that ended up being about 5” behind where he needed it in Mexico and that was it. The other two were never even looked at. 

Once again, Gregg sucks.

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I remember, but Gregg showed since September 2021 that he didn’t know what the fuck he was trying to do, nor how to call in players for qualifiers. Dike, Pefok, and Vazquez should have been brought into several camps to get looks. 

There was literally not a time when Dike was playing in 2022 to be called in. He played 80 minutes over two games in January, got hurt, didn't play again until he got 12 minutes in July, got hurt, played half of a u21 game in November and then one single minute in the championship before the World Cup. Please complain about him not getting called in.

2 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

There was literally not a time when Dike was playing in 2022 to be called in. He played 80 minutes over two games in January, got hurt, didn't play again until he got 12 minutes in July, got hurt, played half of a u21 game in November and then one single minute in the championship before the World Cup. Please complain about him not getting called in.

I don’t recall his being called in in late 2021.

Again, since September 2021, Gregg didn’t know what the fuck he was doing. 

Sorry that Pepi saved his job.

I don't understand defending Gregg on this one. It has been identified long before that he wanted to play the ball down the wings and swing in crosses. If that is the case, then you bring in players that fit that mold.

Look I get Dike was hurt a lot, but why wasn't he seeing time when he was healthy?

Why was a guy like Jesus seeing the field when he clearly didn't fit that mold (and not scoring worth a damn)?

And I get what others have said - given the shit Gregg was rolling out, who was in there didn't matter. Fine. But you should at least put in guys that work in your system. Even if that system is busted.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Look I get Dike was hurt a lot, but why wasn't he seeing time when he was healthy?

Dike was called in to friendlies and the 2021 gold cup when he was healthy. He hurt his shoulder during that gold cup. He could have been brought back in to the end of 2021 qualifiers after having not played that many MLS games since coming back from injury but it's not like he was core to the team at that point. Then he missed basically all of 2022.

The whole "why wasn't this guy called in, he would have saved us!" that has happened in a lot of places after any player who wasn't on the roster scores a club goal (even in a friendly) is fucking stupid. And it's even dumber when the player wouldn't have even been available. It's like people don't actually watch the team or follow the players and just come here to bitch about things.

99.99% that it’s Gio’s mom. 

Even though I hate helicopter parents, I may despise Gregg Berhalter even more.

The only thing that Berhalter has shown that he can do is build a bond among the players.

In every other category he has failed with the most talented player pool in USMNT history.

If Gio’s mom & Gregg could spontaneously combust, I would take it in a heartbeat! They both need to be thousands of miles away from U.S. Soccer.

Parody Song title

“Gio’s Mom Is Always Goin’ On”

84D4B207-91D6-4158-AFF9-73B8EB3068BE.gif.085a46c274aeb26d5ca0d946851437cc.gif

Edited by Napoleon

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Whoa. Yeah maybe so. This would make sense with what she was saying. Bunch of drunk nonsense really, but axe to grind for sure. Luckily they are trying to take down Gregg and not Chris Beard (who is actually good at his job). I’ll see if I can reconnect with them. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whoa. Yeah maybe so. This would make sense with what she was saying. Bunch of drunk nonsense really, but axe to grind for sure. Luckily they are trying to take down Gregg and not Chris Beard (who is actually good at his job). I’ll see if I can reconnect with them. 
Of course Surly has a man on the inside, awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Mittens said:

The asshole who is trying to bring Gerggg down needs a fucking beating for not doing this 4 years ago.

13 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The calls are coming from inside the house!

claudio-danielle-reynajpg.webp

The two most likely suspects.

Makes me think that the Eric Wynalda shit storm was likely caused by believing a lie from one or both of these two.

Remember...

'I wish I could take it back': Ex-USMNT player Eric Wynalda issues groveling apology for claiming Gregg Berhalter asked Gio Reyna to LIE about injury... as he now claims he 'didn't mean to say it' - and reveals youngster WILL play against Iran today

Former USA international Eric Wynalda has quickly backtracked on his claims that Gregg Berhalter asked Gio Reyna to lie about being injured, now insisting he 'didn't mean to say' it and apologizing to those involved.

Wynalda - who played in three World Cups - claimed last week that Reyna, 20, had fallen out with the USA coach after refusing to lie about being injured for the Wales game, a statement that was strongly refuted by Berhalter himself.

Speaking at his press conference, the America boss stated: 'That's just not who I am. That's not what I represent. So if you have to take my word or Eric's word, feel free. But I know what happened. That's not what I represent.'

And just hours later, Wynalda himself poured more cold water on his own claims, also revealing that he has reached out to Berhalter to apologize personally. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11481517/World-Cup-Eric-Wynalda-issues-apology-claiming-Gregg-Berhalter-asked-Reyna-LIE-injury.html

12 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

The day you posted that, was the same day that USSF cites as the day they received the info about Gregg

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The calls are coming from inside the house!

claudio-danielle-reynajpg.webp

The two most likely suspects.

Makes me think that the Eric Wynalda shit storm was likely caused by believing a lie from one or both of these two.

Remember...

'I wish I could take it back': Ex-USMNT player Eric Wynalda issues groveling apology for claiming Gregg Berhalter asked Gio Reyna to LIE about injury... as he now claims he 'didn't mean to say it' - and reveals youngster WILL play against Iran today

Former USA international Eric Wynalda has quickly backtracked on his claims that Gregg Berhalter asked Gio Reyna to lie about being injured, now insisting he 'didn't mean to say' it and apologizing to those involved.

Wynalda - who played in three World Cups - claimed last week that Reyna, 20, had fallen out with the USA coach after refusing to lie about being injured for the Wales game, a statement that was strongly refuted by Berhalter himself.

Speaking at his press conference, the America boss stated: 'That's just not who I am. That's not what I represent. So if you have to take my word or Eric's word, feel free. But I know what happened. That's not what I represent.'

And just hours later, Wynalda himself poured more cold water on his own claims, also revealing that he has reached out to Berhalter to apologize personally. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11481517/World-Cup-Eric-Wynalda-issues-apology-claiming-Gregg-Berhalter-asked-Reyna-LIE-injury.html

Morgan Freeman: Gio Reyna did not play that day.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

The day you posted that, was the same day that USSF cites as the day they received the info about Gregg

Interesting. That party was the night of the ninth and the Reyna’s had just returned from Qatar. I recall talking tactical things with Claudio and about how the US has very few players who can finish goals. We talked about his days in Germany and how he was pulling for Argentina the rest of the way. Danielle was sort of on the periphery of the conversation injecting personal insults about Gregg. Every time she did so, I would laugh. I don’t remember this specific topic though. 

Anyway, I’m planning to watch the N London derby next week w/ a group of people that were at that party, including the host. I’ll see if they’ll invite him and find out if we need to buy Danielle a thank you gift. 

• Like 1