USMNT 2023

ztejas

Can't stand Berhalter but digging up something from more than three decades ago that he and his wife have obviously worked out and moved on from is completely inappropriate and bush league.

Glad to see him go (if that's what's happening), but this seems superfluous and malicious.

No kudos to you, Gergg, for how you managed the team but sympathies to you over this bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4

So if true, Claudio has to get fired right? and how can Gio ever be allowed on the team again, no manager is going to want to deal with that shit. 

All in all its likely this is going to mean we have to bring Dipshit back so he doesn't sue the USSF saying some shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You guys are kidding right?

Gio isn't losing anything over this.

So long as he continues his improvements and gets where he should be, then this is nothing. It's a bump in the road.

If anything the crimes here are:

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Dipshit is gone.  USSF's only ethical violations involving Gregg relate to the process it undertook to hire him.

And the coaching job that Berhalter did this whole time.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Man...I was a big fan of Reyna's game (son and coach), but I don't see how you have them anywhere near the program after this. They are absolutely toxic. 

I mean is it worse than what Benzema did?  Just keep Claudio away from the USMNT altogether on a permanent basis. Give it two years until we are playing quasi meaningful games again and we will be fine. 

Curious what the Reyna/Wolff relationship is like right now.  And does Austin still own Seb Berhalter?  I can’t recall if he was loaned out or not. This is pretty wild, all things considered.  Sounds like the Reynas turned on Berhalter at the World Cup and this wasn’t some long simmering thing. 

My real question is what is chicken/egg of Gio having a reduced role and his tantrum.  Sounds like it’s really not as clear now.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Man...I was a big fan of Reyna's game (son and coach), but I don't see how you have them anywhere near the program after this. They are absolutely toxic. 

Why would Gio not be on the team?  He wasn't the one that sent the messages and threatened blackmail.  Did he have an attitude problem?  Sure.  But he apologized to his team for it and it seems as if they had moved on.  

His parents however - yeah I wouldn't answer those calls or texts anymore.

Just now, gsoda3 said:

claudio was gregg's best man.  that's wild.  can't imagine drama like this with our best friends much less at a national (world) level.  

one of the many things that makes the whole situation super weird, on top of the strange strategic decisions around Gio and not playing him

he's known the kid since he was literally a kid. he STILL somehow handled it as bad as possible, from telling him he wasn't playing to everything else in Qatar. then right after the world cup he shits on the kid in a super public way, then confirms it was Gio he was talking about.

what?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

We all know Gio is a bit of an immature douche canoe.  Remember that Reggie Cannon/Daryl Dike clip when asked who talks the most shit on the team from about a year ago. 

the quote pulled from reddit

Cannon: I love Gio. He's the homie. I wanna really choose my words carefully. He's one of the most borderline confident but borderline arrogant people I have ever met in my life. And I love that kid. Love him to death.

Dike: laughing throughout) Great dude, great dude, but yeah I would say Gio. You saw the Honduras game- you saw him. I don't know what he said but

Cannon: did something to get them riled up

so it happened after the shitty comments made at the "leadership" conference?

edit: sounds like shit went off the rails? i haven't heard of this before?

A Twitter space discussion that was written off as conspiracy but now appears to obviously be true revealed the Reyna and Berhalter families got in a heated argument in Qatar and had to be separated.

edit2:

Aside from Wynalda saying he was consoling Claudio during the World Cup due to Gio’s situation, a month ago there was a Twitter space where a user claiming to be a friend of Weston McKennie said Wes told him there was a fight between the Reyna and Berhalter families in Qatar over Gio.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ussoccer/comments/zjy4fv/did_anyone_catch_that_usmnt_twitter_space_last/

text:

One of Weston McKinney entourage went a Twitter space basically to talk about that situation saying that the Reyna's were arguing with the berhalters. They were having dinner in Qatar and Reyna's mom was left crying. Other stuff said was that berhalter is not going to be the coach for next cycle, that the ussf is not interested in resigning him the rumors of them wanting to rehire came from his camp to leverage a higher European contract deal. he also not respected really in the locker room from the European core. He said that gio was acting out but didn't warrant the punishment and player devaluation that Greg did. Much more stuff was said it was super interesting. Sorry for poor grammer just woke up and posted this on my phone.

listening now, will update:

it's not all going to be real, but it makes sense. basically sounds like this is a guy in Weston's entourage.

• "it was a family feud"
  • Gio's mom and Greg's wife are (were) best friends and talk every day
  • had to do with Greg outing the thing with Gio to the whole squad and felt disrespected over it "why didn't you handle this matter privately"
  • "it is 1000% a fact they were ready to send Gio home - you are going home, do you want to go to the states or germany?"
  • Wes and Greg are not good - doesn't fuck with him, doesn't respect him. lots of big time players don't respect him
  • "realistically both have to be held accountable - greg should not have outed gio like this"
  • "i think certain players at a certain status don't respect greg, bro"
  • basically big time players are getting coached up then come back to US and they "have to get coached by greg"
  • how do the players feel about the MLS guys? "bro...listen...there are definitely head scratches why some people are there and some aren't there. pepi was a lock and you saw what happened there. shaq moore has no business being there. he got PT over joe scally!"
  • on Pefolk: same guy said Jordan Pefok doesn't get along with Gio
  • "that locker room is clearly divided" - "certain players that benefit from Greg and that should tell you the divide. you guys can add 1 + 1"
  • "if they get a big name, like they want to, those players will never see a US jersey again."
  • John Brooks: there are guys who fuck with him, wes is a fan. Brooks is one of the 26 best players (someone pointed out he has issues with Greg too)
  • "Greg has a lot of issues with these players bro, you guys see the common denominator here"
  • "Gio should be held accountable, but there is a lot bigger issue than Gio's attitude" and talked about how players don't respect him
  • evidently they said John Brooks was too slow for a high back line? "...but what about Tim Ream"
  • "European teams are about to find out that Greg isn't responsible for that team - the kids are just that good. he's getting carried by those guys skills"
  • "Greg is not good at situational coaching. he's not good at lineups. he's not good at subs"
  • "Greg is not a bad dude, he just doesn't know how to handle his players - he just big dicks them and does poor things" "he's not a bad guy"
Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So what is our time table here? Did the Gregg info come before or after Beerholder talked shit about Gio?

Sounds like Danielle Reyna flew off the handle after Gregg's conference remarks regarding Gio were leaked.  She then called Earnie Stewart and told him about the kicking incident which triggered an investigation obligation.

13 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I mean is it worse than what Benzema did?  Just keep Claudio away from the USMNT altogether on a permanent basis. Give it two years until we are playing quasi meaningful games again and we will be fine. 

Curious what the Reyna/Wolff relationship is like right now.  And does Austin still own Seb Berhalter?  I can’t recall if he was loaned out or not. This is pretty wild, all things considered.  Sounds like the Reynas turned on Berhalter at the World Cup and this wasn’t some long simmering thing. 

My real question is what is chicken/egg of Gio having a reduced role and his tantrum.  Sounds like it’s really not as clear now.  

I just don't see how any of the teammates will trust him at this point. Maybe a two-year break will do the trick, but the stench of the Reynas definitely needs to wear off before he comes back. This is incredibly petty. 

Jesus she is dumb if she thinks this bears any weight and created any leverage that wouldn’t blow back on her and her family.

If this was some other woman that Gregg hadn’t married and had no kids with then perhaps there would be some legs (no pun intended). But it’s his wife of >20 years with no subsequent evidence of domestic issues that she is aware of or she would have mentioned that too. 

Perhaps the dramas and immaturity of it all will cause USSF to just move on from all of it, including Gregg.  But Jesus she just torpedoed the Reyna reputation and may have gotten her husband fired too.   

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP - I can't see Twitter embeds at work. Here's The Athletic's full story:

Spoiler

Gio Reyna’s mother reported incident involving Gregg Berhalter and wife to US Soccer
By Paul Tenorio
48m ago

The information given to the U.S. Soccer Federation regarding a 1991 incident involving U.S. men’s national team World Cup coach Gregg Berhalter and his wife, Rosalind, originated from her college roommate Danielle Reyna, the mother of U.S. winger Gio Reyna, she said in a statement to The Athletic.

Multiple sources familiar with the investigation told The Athletic that an ongoing investigation initiated in December by U.S. soccer was prompted by information shared by Reyna’s parents. Both Claudio and Danielle Reyna provided statements to The Athletic on Wednesday morning confirming that a conversation Danielle had with U.S. Soccer sporting director Earnie Stewart on Dec. 11 prompted the investigation.

Berhalter released a statement Tuesday detailing the incident, which occurred when he was an 18-year-old freshman at the University of North Carolina with Rosalind, who was then his girlfriend. In his statement, which was signed by both Gregg and Rosalind, the Berhalters wrote that during a “heated argument” that spilled outside of a local bar, “it became physical and (Gregg) kicked her in the legs.” The incident was not reported to authorities, but Gregg Berhalter sought counseling and both Gregg and Rosalind told family and friends about the incident. Gregg and Rosalind, who have been married 25 years and have four children, said they were releasing the information because an “individual contacted U.S. Soccer” during the most recent World Cup saying “they had information about me that would ‘take me down’” in “an effort to leverage something very personal from long ago to bring about the end of my relationship with U.S. Soccer.”

Danielle Reyna was a roommate and soccer teammate of Rosalind Berhalter at UNC.

“To set the record straight, I did call (U.S. Soccer sporting director) Earnie Stewart on December 11, just after the news broke that Gregg had made negative statements about my son Gio at a leadership conference,” Danielle Reyna said in a statement. “I have known Earnie for years and consider him to be a close friend. I wanted to let him know that I was absolutely outraged and devasted that Gio had been put in such a terrible position, and that I felt very personally betrayed by the actions of someone my family had considered a friend for decades.

“As part of that conversation, I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age. Without going into detail, the statements from yesterday significantly minimize the abuse on the night in question. Rosalind Berhalter was my roommate, teammate and best friend, and I supported her through the trauma that followed. It took a long time for me to forgive and accept Gregg afterward, but I worked hard to give him grace, and ultimately made both of them and their kids a huge part of my family’s life. I would have wanted and expected him to give the same grace to Gio. This is why the current situation is so very hurtful and hard.”

Danielle Reyna’s statement continues: “At the time I called Earnie, many people were trashing Gio on social media due to Gregg’s comments, and I didn’t know when or if this would stop. I just wanted Earnie to help make sure that there would be no further unwarranted attacks on my son. I thought our conversation would remain in confidence, and it didn’t occur to me at the time that anything I said could lead to an investigation. I’m not criticizing Earnie here.

“I very much commend the recent efforts by U.S. Soccer to address abuse of women players, and I understand now he had an obligation to investigate what I shared. But I want to be very clear that I did not ask for Gregg to be fired, I did not make any threats, and I don’t know anything about any blackmail attempts, nor have I ever had any discussions about anyone else on Gregg’s staff—I don’t know any of the other coaches. I did not communicate with anyone in U.S. Soccer about this matter before December 11, and no one else in my family has made any statements to U.S. Soccer regarding Gregg’s past at all.

“I’m sorry that this information became public, and I regret that I played a role in something that could reopen wounds from the past.”

Gio Reyna’s father, U.S. soccer legend Claudio Reyna, who captained the USMNT at two World Cups, also issued a statement to The Athletic.

“I support my wife, Danielle, and her statement. I too was upset by Gregg’s comments about Gio after the U.S. was out of the World Cup, and I also appealed to Earnie Stewart on December 11 asking him to prevent any additional comments.

“While in Qatar, I shared my frustrations about my son’s World Cup experience with a number of close friends, Earnie and Brian McBride among them. However, at no time did I ever threaten anyone, nor would I ever do so.”

Berhalter and Claudio Reyna played soccer together growing up in New Jersey. Claudio’s father, Miguel, coached their club team and the two played high school soccer together at St. Benedict’s in Newark, N.J. They also played together on the 2002 U.S. World Cup squad. According to a website owned by the U.S. National Soccer Team Players Association, the U.S. men’s soccer players’ union, Reyna served as the best man at the Berhalters’ wedding.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, U.S. Soccer said it learned of the incident involving Berhalter on Dec. 11 and “immediately hired Alston & Bird LLP to conduct an independent investigation into the matter.” The investigation remains ongoing. The statement also said that during the course of the investigation, U.S. Soccer has “learned about potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization. We take such behavior seriously and have expanded our investigation to include those allegations.”

A spokesperson for U.S. Soccer declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

Berhalter’s contract with U.S. Soccer ended on Dec. 31, 2022. In the statement, he said he is “looking forward to continuing my conversations with U.S. Soccer about the future.” U.S. Soccer is expected to announce on Wednesday who will lead the U.S. men’s national team for a pair of friendlies later this month.

The saga adds to recent friction between the Reynas and Gregg Berhalter that began at the World Cup.

In Qatar, Gio Reyna was disappointed in his role with the U.S. team — he was not selected as a starter for the opening match against Wales — and did not train hard in training sessions leading up to and after the U.S.-Wales game. Reyna had multiple meetings with coaching staff due to these issues and eventually apologized to teammates for a lack of effort. He would go on to play as a substitute against England and against the Netherlands in the knockout stage.

Gregg Berhalter appeared to reference the Gio Reyna situation without naming the player at the HOW Institute for Society’s Summit on Moral Leadership in New York on Dec. 6, comments that were published in a Charter newsletter on Dec. 11. Later that day after the comments went viral, Charter updated its newsletter with an editor’s note stating that Berhalter’s comments, “were at a gathering held under the Chatham House Rule and were not meant to be public, but were erroneously greenlit for publication by someone representing the event organizers.”

The Athletic reported that the player involved in the situation described by Berhalter was Gio Reyna, and Reyna and his agent released multiple statements in the hours and days that followed. First, Reyna’s agent released a statement to The Athletic saying, “Gio obviously did not have the experience anyone hoped for at the World Cup. The situation, relationships and interactions among parties are far more complicated than what has been reported. It is disappointing and disrespectful for certain parties to be commenting on private team matters publicly, especially when some do so without full knowledge of the facts and others do so in a self-serving manner. At this point, our view is that nothing more is gained by those associated with the national team turning on each other, and we plan no further comment on this matter.”

Reyna later posted on his Instagram, acknowledging that he, “let my emotions get the best of me and affect my training and behavior.”

The post continued, in part: “I am disappointed that there is continuing coverage of this matter (as well as some highly fictionalized versions of events) and extremely surprised that anyone on the U.S. men’s team staff would contribute to it. Coach Berhalter has always said that issues that arise with the team will stay “in house” so we can focus on team unity and progress. I love my team, I love representing my country, and I am focusing now only on improving and growing as a soccer player and a person.  I hope that going forward each person involved in U.S. Soccer focuses only on what is in the best interest of the men’s national team so we can enjoy great success at the World Cup in 2026.”

• Hook 'Em 1

here is the mom's full statement.

Spoiler

Danielle's statement: “To set the record straight, I did call (U.S. Soccer sporting director) Earnie Stewart on December 11, just after the news broke that Gregg had made negative statements about my son Gio at a leadership conference,” Danielle Reyna said in a statement. “I have known Earnie for years and consider him to be a close friend. I wanted to let him know that I was absolutely outraged and devasted that Gio had been put in such a terrible position, and that I felt very personally betrayed by the actions of someone my family had considered a friend for decades. As part of that conversation, I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age. Without going into detail, the statements from yesterday significantly minimize the abuse on the night in question. Rosalind Berhalter was my roommate, teammate and best friend, and I supported her through the trauma that followed. It took a long time for me to forgive and accept Gregg afterward, but I worked hard to give him grace, and ultimately made both of them and their kids a huge part of my family’s life. I would have wanted and expected him to give the same grace to Gio. This is why the current situation is so very hurtful and hard.”

Danielle Reyna’s statement continues: “At the time I called Earnie, many people were trashing Gio on social media due to Gregg’s comments, and I didn’t know when or if this would stop. I just wanted Earnie to help make sure that there would be no further unwarranted attacks on my son. I thought our conversation would remain in confidence, and it didn’t occur to me at the time that anything I said could lead to an investigation. I’m not criticizing Earnie here. I very much commend the recent efforts by U.S. Soccer to address abuse of women players, and I understand now he had an obligation to investigate what I shared. But I want to be very clear that I did not ask for Gregg to be fired, I did not make any threats, and I don’t know anything about any blackmail attempts, nor have I ever had any discussions about anyone else on Gregg’s staff—I don’t know any of the other coaches. I did not communicate with anyone in U.S. Soccer about this matter before December 11, and no one else in my family has made any statements to U.S. Soccer regarding Gregg’s past at all.

“I’m sorry that this information became public, and I regret that I played a role in something that could reopen wounds from the past.”

What a shit show, but having this posted on Surly weeks ago is an all timer.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:06 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

I spoke/drank with Gio’s parents on Friday night. They really hate Gregg. I dislike him too because of the tactical and strategic faults, but fuck they are silly. His mom is a bitch. Gio could have helped us, but I think he’s too much like his mom. She was taking shit on the state of Texas and individuals that were 10 feet away from her. Not aware at all.  Very aggressively entitled.  

Claudio is whatever. I hope he does well at Austin FC, but they are not very cool. 

Just my opinion of course. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I mean... She does have a point - Gregg assaults girlfriend, never sees the light of day, he becomes USMNT head coach. Gio acts like an entitled 18 year old (because he's, you know, 18), he gets dragged through the mud, setting his national team career back and surely decreasing his transfer value. Doesn't seem quite fair.

I'm also confident she knew damn well what the protocols were around reported abuse and that this would lead to an investigation without being explicit about anything.

Whatever. I'm here for the drama because ultimately, fuck GGG.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last thing on my encounter with the Reyna couple: 

Just got a text from a buddy that was standing there with me and he reminded me that Danielle told me that she was going to “fuck him up”. And I replied saying “make sure you fuckk him up with 2 k’s”.  She didn’t immediately get my lame joke so I said “because Gregg has two g’s”. She smiled and said “hell yes, with 2 l’s”.  This is all coming to me 2nd hand because I don’t remember any of it.

I was pretty luke warm or colder on her because she just kept trashing Texas. She said she liked Austin but hates Texas and Greg Abbott. I get political differences, but he’s a very nice guy and was sitting just a few feet away. She kinda made an ass of herself honestly. 

If Claudio shows up on Sunday I’ll try to get some info. For some reason, I doubt he makes it over, but I’m told he’s been invited. 

Crazy drama and I hate that. But- we could use a better coach. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1