USMNT 2023

ztejas

27 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I mean... She does have a point - Gregg assaults girlfriend, never sees the light of day, he becomes USMNT head coach. Gio acts like an entitled 18 year old (because he's, you know, 18), he gets dragged through the mud, setting his national team career back and surely decreasing his transfer value. Doesn't seem quite fair.

I'm also confident she knew damn well what the protocols were around reported abuse and that this would lead to an investigation without being explicit about anything.

Whatever. I'm here for the drama because ultimately, fuck GGG.

You're right that she's right about Gio being screwed relative to Berhalter who obviously has a reason to understand 18-year-olds making mistakes. But obviously she handled it poorly after that. But pissed off mothers can be fucking crazy, yo.

I assume very loudly yelling at Berhalter "did anyone make you apologize to your whole team when you beat your girlfriend when you were 18, Gregg?!? Or did you just get away with that with no consequences?!?" in front of the entire USMNT delegation also would have triggered an automatic investigation. But that somehow seems more acceptable as an emotional reaction in the moment than the calculated shit she did. 

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Why would Gio not be on the team?  He wasn't the one that sent the messages and threatened blackmail.  Did he have an attitude problem?  Sure.  But he apologized to his team for it and it seems as if they had moved on.  

His parents however - yeah I wouldn't answer those calls or texts anymore.

This seems like the obvious answer to me.

Do we know that Gio even knew what his parents were pulling?

Gio in, Gergg out, Claudio and trophy wife are never heard from again, please.

37 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

She said she liked Austin but hates Texas and Greg Abbott. I get political differences, but he’s a very nice guy and was sitting just a few feet away.

pretty much everyone involved in the ATXFC franchise thinks this way. Austin is awesome but Gerg Abbott is a little bitch. I think i like her more now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

pretty much everyone involved in the ATXFC franchise thinks this way. Austin is awesome but Gerg Abbott is a little bitch. I think i like her more now.

I hear ya bro, but I’ve lived in Austin since 1996, and I disagree with that sentiment. Regardless, loudly trashing the state at a party where at least 50% are native to the state and not the city…bad look. This was definitely not a party that had a bunch of politicians. Abbott was probably the only one. It was just out of left field and awkward. I ain’t judging too much tho. I get drunk and say random shit too. Usually it’s sexual in nature and pisses off my own wife. Fun times. 

33 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I mean this is what we’re talking about. On one side you have a coach that took a Jesus Ferriera over Pepe and made a ton of other questionable player decisions (see what @Napoleonsaid about our best defender in The World Cup).

Or you’re on this guys side:

Not sure it's that cut and dry.  You can disagree with Gregg all day long about all sorts of coaching decisions, but it doesn't make what they Reyna's did right - at all.  

2 hours ago, field said:

Not sure it's that cut and dry.  You can disagree with Gregg all day long about all sorts of coaching decisions, but it doesn't make what they Reyna's did right - at all.  

True, but Greg threw Gio under the bus at a speaking engagement and tried to claim he thought it was "off the record." I find it a little funny Mrs. Reyna said she thought her conversation was a private one.  Revenge is a dish best served cold...by a helicopter parent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Wasn't there a rumor that McKennie was trying to fuck someone's sister? And whether he was or not he got suspended for breaking curfew or some shit. 

Pulisic just had some biography come out and he's like 24. 

Miles Robinson got arrested for refusing to pay for a drink and calling the bartender racist. While he was injured. 

This is all in the past year.

And some of you act like we aren't moving in the right direction. 

You also have the shithousery this guy is bringing every match as one of the most integral players to any team in the PL.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This seems like the obvious answer to me.

Do we know that Gio even knew what his parents were pulling?

Gio in, Gergg out, Claudio and trophy wife are never heard from again, please.

She's not some random trophy wife, she won 4 national championship at North Carolina. Was once the youngest goal scorer for the USWNT, and lost a 13 year old son to cancer. Never ever fuck with a womans child after she already lost one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, shnsajax said:

She's not some random trophy wife, she won 4 national championship at North Carolina. Was once the youngest goal scorer for the USWNT, and lost a 13 year old son to cancer. Never ever fuck with a womans child after she already lost one. 

Okay, cool.

She's still wrong as all fuck for this.

• Hook 'Em 2

TeamGio

We're to the point where most of the national team is getting elite European coaching but we continue to run out mls coaches for the national team.  The change has to be jarring and of course the players aren't going to respect them.  Hire a real manager.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wasn't there a rumor that McKennie was trying to fuck someone's sister? And whether he was or not he got suspended for breaking curfew or some shit.

he broke curfew/team quarantine by bringing in a girl - got suspended for it

evidently Zack Steffen did as well but it was for a family member - don't remember if he got suspended or not.

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

also they have been married since 97 and i think have been together exclusively since the early 90s when she was at UNC and he was at UVA

calling her a trophy wife is a super weird comment and shows someone doesn't know shit and made assumptions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, field said:

Ok, Fine. They are both wrong - Beer for throwing Gio under the bus at the leadership conference, the Reyna parents for this event.

They shake it out, and none of those guys get to have anything to do with the USMNT anymore. Let Gio play.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WBT said:

We're to the point where most of the national team is getting elite European coaching but we continue to run out mls coaches for the national team.  The change has to be jarring and of course the players aren't going to respect them.  Hire a real manager.

Is this a problem unique to the US? Our players can't respect an MLS coach, but every other nation can respect a coach that likely came from their national league and has zero experience coaching players of their level? Scaloni had no head coaching experience before taking over Argentina. Tite only coached in Brazil. If you look around at all of the World Cup teams, most of them have coaches that you would likely not consider "a real manager". Guys like van Gaal, Deschamps, and Luis Enrique who have experience at multiple big clubs is not the norm because a national team coaching gig just isn't the goal for a soccer coach.

3 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Is this a problem unique to the US? Our players can't respect an MLS coach, but every other nation can respect a coach that likely came from their national league and has zero experience coaching players of their level? Scaloni had no head coaching experience before taking over Argentina. Tite only coached in Brazil. If you look around at all of the World Cup teams, most of them have coaches that you would likely not consider "a real manager". Guys like van Gaal, Deschamps, and Luis Enrique who have experience at multiple big clubs is not the norm because a national team coaching gig just isn't the goal for a soccer coach.

1) Gregg doesn’t have 1/4 of the tactical understanding that Scaloni has. Nor did he have the full backing of one of the greatest players in the history of the game.

2) Tite is on Gregg’s level. And as a fan of Argentina, that was more than okay with me. 😁🇦🇷

3 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Yeah, that's fair.  There will always be a drop off from top club managers to national team managers.  But Gergg is just very poor even by those standards.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Sure, but Gregg is the one who fucked this all up and if she helped to put the final nail in his Nat Coaching career then I ain’t mad at her. Feel bad for Gio but that’s about it.

Why would you feel bad for Gio?

Gio's an ass. He's a very talented ass, but he's an ass. If you don't think that he wasn't onboard with going over Gregg's head to get on the field, then you haven't been paying attention to Watke. This entire video covers Gio being a self-centered competitive ass.

Posted: August 18th, 2021

BELOW: I have set up the above video to start right when Gio relishes in Pulisic's failure during the 2021 Champions League Final. I can't imagine Gio having a ton of close friends... period, much less on the USMNT. They know he's good, but they also know that he's a miserable cunt. Sometimes you want that on your team and sometimes you don't.

Edited by Napoleon

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Why would you feel bad for Gio?

Gio's an ass. He's a very talented ass, but he's an ass. If you don't think that he wasn't onboard with going over Gregg's head to get on the field, then you haven't been paying attention to Watke. This entire video covers Gio being a self-centered competitive ass.

Posted: August 18th, 2021

BELOW: I have set up the above video to start right when Gio relishes in Pulisic's failure during the 2021 Champions League Final. I can't imagine Gio having a ton of close friends... period, much less on the USMNT. They know he's good, but they also know that he's a miserable cunt. Sometimes you want that on your team and sometimes you don't.

Sure he is an ass, but he is a 20 year old ass. He can't control his parents and what they say and do, but he's 20 and they shouldn't speak or act for him either. He can be an ass, but he should have to live with what he says and does and not what his parents do.

Growing up as the oldest kid in my house and having my youngest brother pass away when I was a kid, there was no controlling my mom with this kind of stuff (she went through periods of alcoholism/depression that I can now understand) and that was before social media. I can't imagine loosing one of my kids today and having an adult talk shit about one of my others after the fact. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, goatsaag said:

I won't step into the respect aspect on this - I haven't jumped too deep into that*

One thing I will note - the biggest issue with Gregg is that he just isn't that good of a coach. This isn't really an issue of him not coaching players of this level, it's really that he just is a bad coach.

IMHO, I think a lot of managers would coach circles around hm. Hell, I think most of our American coaches would out-coach him easily (Arena, Bradley, etc). I just think that because of the system in place, guys like those you listed, despite not having long resumes, start much further along than even our best guys. I mean we joke about the Jermaine Jones comment on Arena being his worst coach every, but when you really look at the comment you realize that it is more of an indictment of our system/structure than on Arena directly (not that it reflects great on Arena).

* I do know there has been some chatter about it, which you can listen/read about here (I haven't listened yet):

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, goatsaag said:

ARG and Scaloini are unique in that he had been with the national team in some role since 2017 - dude is a unicorn when it comes to national team success honestly.

if you look at the top 10 ranked teams:

1. Brazil: Tite only coached in Brazil, but he coached there for like 25 years, including 3x at Corenthians and has been at Brazil since 2016 before leaving after this world cup. He went 60-15-6 at Brazil. won 74% of games at Brazil, 2 world cups. 20+ year coach, including at one of biggest national teams.
  2. ARG: ARG and Scaloini are unique in that he had been with the national team in some role since 2017. no coaching experience as head guy before u20 team in 2018. limited experience outside of national team.
  3. France: Deschamps has been coaching since 01 - Monaco to Juve (got into it with management), the Marseille then France in 2012 - also had over 100 caps for France. won 64% og games at france, 3 world cups. ~10 year coach, limited experience outside of national team.
  4. Belgium: Roberto Martinez coached Swansea City through promotion up to the Championship, then Wigan then Everton then Belgium after getting fired. won 70% of games for Belg. ~10 year coach, limited experience outside of national team.
  5. England: Southgate had 57 ENG caps, 3 years at Middleboro (got fired after relegation), 3 years coaching the u21 then got promoted to senior team in 2016. won 60.5% of games for ENG.  limited experience outside of national team.
  6. Netherlands: van Gaal - 35 years coaching including Barca 2x, United, Bayern Munich - coached Netherlands in 00, 12-14 and 21-22. has juice, won 70% of games in this recent stint and 62% in the 12-14 timeframe. 30+ year coach, including at one of biggest national teams and largest world wide teams.
  7. Croatia: coached 15+ years, including some in Saudia Arabia. been the coach for Croatia since 17, won 48.5% of his games BUT made it to the final and the semi finals in 2 world cups - the best and tie for 2nd best WC finish ever for Croatia. 15+ year coach, including at some of biggest national teams.
  8. Italy: roberto mancini since 2018. 36 national team caps, ~20 years coaching, including Inter, City, Galatasaray and Inter again. won 61% of games. 20+ year coach, including at some of biggest national teams and largest world wide teams.
  9. Portugal: Fernando Santos. been coaching since the late 80s. been the portugal coach since 204, and was the Greece coach from 10-14, where he led Greece to the knockout stage fo the first time ever. won 53% of games at Greece and 61% of games at Portugal. led the team to the finals of Euro 2016, won 9 of 10 games in 2018 WC qualification, made it to round of 16. won the 19 nations league finals. was fired after making it to the last 8. 30+ year coach, including at some of biggest national teams, coached at 2 world cup nations.
  10. Spain: Luis Enrique is unique in that he is super well known in spain, been a coach since 08, including Roma, Celta and Barca + had 62 national team caps and played in 3 world cups. won 51.8% of games at Spain on current stint, won 75% on last stint spain is weird. weird situation, Barca then Spain national team.

Couple of other clubs:

• Japan: closest example i can find to GGG? coach had 35 caps, coached for 5 years in the J1 league, then was the U23 coach from 17-21 and took over the national team in 18. was assistant in the 18 world cup, and has won 66% of the games he has coached at Japan. limited experience outside of national team.
  • Morocco: Walid Regragui - 45 caps, was an assisstant with the national team right after playing for 2 years, then 7 years with national league. hired in 2022 (people were not happy about it) and won 50% of his games, including the knockout round for the first time for Morocco since 86. made it to semi finals which is the furthest the national team has ever made it. unique situation i think here too but he clearly knows the national team. limited experience outside of national team.
  • Mexico: Tata has been coaching since 98, including coaching Paraguay, and Argentina before Mexico on top of Barca. he has juice. won 63% of games for Mexico. 20+ year coach, including at one of biggest national teams.

GGG: 44 national team caps, head coach for like 3 years in Sweden, then 5 years at Columbus (national league obv), then spent 4 years as the national team manager and won 62sh percent of games. ~10 year coach, limited experience outside of national team.

for comparison, Bruce Arena had like 20 years as a coach (college then DC United) before he took over the USMNT job. Bob Bradley had 25 years coaching before he took the USMNT job, including time with the u23s. Klinsmann is another wild situation - no coaching experience before Germany from 04-06. time at Bayern, then USMNT then back to Germany at Hertha. So basically 6 years of coaching and it's more and more clear every year that passes that Low was the brilliance behind him.

i think that part of the issue is that GGG is a "system" guy - how many of those in the top 10 are "system" guys? just Enrique?

there is a need to hire the right guy - from a manage the locker room standpoint and a strategic standpoint. GGG didn't build up a deep enough pool of players (or trust them) - i think he did a poor job of talent pool management in the first place and i think bringing him back at all would be a terrible move. i think he's toast as he should be. looking forward to seeing him exposed in the EU.

they tried to bring in a name in 11 with Klinsmann, that didn't work. he had the name but not the strategic part.

they are in a unique position because they have a super young team and you need someone that team respects. at this point not saying that GGG couldn't be that guy but with everything you hear more and more it's clear he absolutely was not the guy and i do not believe he would have been hired if his name was Gregg Smith and his brother didn't work for the USSF and it was an actual coaching search.

let's be honest the USMNT needs to do a worldwide search, identify what's important, earmark a shit ton to hire the right guy and get everything set up for 2026. it's the biggest opportunity to make soccer explode here and i have less than zero faith in USSF to properly handle this search and hire the right guy.

then again, i fully expect them to rush the process, hire someone like Roberto Martinez or another MLS coach and strain something patting themselves on the back. or jump at Jesse Marsch and go from there. idk who the right guy is but i don't think he is any of the obvious names. pay the right guy, put a ton into the backroom staff and let him cook.

if you want one more connection for how insane the US soccer group is  - the current USSF president played at UNC from 95-98 right after Danielle Reyna and Rosalind Berhalter played there lol

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I won't step into the respect aspect on this - I haven't jumped too deep into that*

One thing I will note - the biggest issue with Gregg is that he just isn't that good of a coach. This isn't really an issue of him not coaching players of this level, it's really that he just is a bad coach.

IMHO, I think a lot of managers would coach circles around hm. Hell, I think most of our American coaches would out-coach him easily (Arena, Bradley, etc). I just think that because of the system in place, guys like those you listed, despite not having long resumes, start much further along than even our best guys. I mean we joke about the Jermaine Jones comment on Arena being his worst coach every, but when you really look at the comment you realize that it is more of an indictment of our system/structure than on Arena directly (not that it reflects great on Arena).

* I do know there has been some chatter about it, which you can listen/read about here (I haven't listened yet):

Reveal hidden contents

l'll caption the video again:

• the drama on the rooftop was real
  • there had been conversations between all 4 of berhalters and reyna's on playing time
  • Claudio's reaction to that was "we've been through so much together and you are really going to treat my son this way? remember what you were doing at his age? we gave you a second chance and life gave you a second chance"
  • Gio's mom wasn't blackmailing her in Doha or threatening to out him at the world cup, but there were noncholant convo about this.
  • Gregg took this as a threat which started the tension (which makes sense)
  • a lot of people came to greg to say "remember what you were doing" at Gio's age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

And unfortunately, Deschamps just dripped through 2026, so France is basically hogging TWO international coaches. 

At least this shows that US Soccer is sending feelers out beyond our borders.

Hopefully we see more candidates' names floated so that we can truly conclude the above is true.

• Like 2

And unfortunately, Deschamps just dripped through 2026, so France is basically hogging TWO international coaches. 
At least this shows that US Soccer is sending feelers out beyond our borders.

This is the balls we have been begging to see from the USSF and the mindset needed heading to 2026!
  • Like 1

Yeah but I could score against Dundee United.

off topic, but I always love how Dundee and Dundee United have stadiums that are right next to each other as derby rivals.

796762349_maxresdefault(4).thumb.jpg.9d68e81f8656f8c89466f5b729335f5d.jpg

the Zidane offer is great for USMNT..."We tried to go big but nobody wanted it so here's Bruce Arena's 3rd cousin."

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Tillman goal

You know what, and hear me out…

Tillman may have been a better option than an injured LDLT or Cristian Roldán

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

off topic, but I always love how Dundee and Dundee United have stadiums that are right next to each other as derby rivals.

796762349_maxresdefault(4).thumb.jpg.9d68e81f8656f8c89466f5b729335f5d.jpg

Reminds me of Racing and Independiente in the Avellaneda suburb just below the Buenos Aires city limit.

Racing is round (61,000) and Independiente is rectangular (48,069). They are separated by the length of a training pitch, or maybe a neighborhood soccer field and a slim buffer of buildings. 

C131614D-92DA-4212-8377-EC3EBEEE4AFD.thumb.jpeg.98e1f849f22c9791d99d4983038abe75.jpeg

Independiente was founded by club members who left Racing to start their own club. Lots of famous players came from each of these clubs, and they make up 2 of “The Big 5” clubs of Argentina 🇦🇷 along with Boca Jrs, River Plate, and Pope Francisco’s team, San Lorenzo.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

How many minutes did those guys even get?

Not sure it would have made any difference. 

They got ZERO.

How many minutes into the Dutch match did our midfielders run out of gas?

Games 1 & 3 were managed horribly and our midfield & outside backs were running on fumes from the opening whistle in the knockout match. 

Part of the reason LDLT didn’t get minutes was because he was injured. Most of the reason the Roldán didn’t get minutes was because he has the same skill level as Cristian Roldán.

Bring someone who is healthy, faster, taller, and more skilled instead of those two and perhaps you put them in when winning by 1 in the second half of games 1 & 3.

Berhalter will always be to blame for our lackluster performance(s).

Just because Jedi Robinson can finish 270+ minutes in 8 days against CONCACAF competition in qualifying does not mean that he can go 360+ minutes in 13 days ago far superior competition.

Substitution stupidity in Berhalter’s part does not excuse pool selection errors in Berhalter’s part. 

• Like 5
  • Rage+1 1