USMNT 2023

ztejas

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

They got ZERO.

How many minutes into the Dutch match did our midfielders run out of gas?

Games 1 & 3 were managed horribly and our midfield & outside backs were running on fumes from the opening whistle in the knockout match. 

Part of the reason LDLT didn’t get minutes was because he was injured. Most of the reason the Roldán didn’t get minutes was because he has the same skill level as Cristian Roldán.

Bring someone who is healthy, faster, taller, and more skilled instead of those two and perhaps you put them in when winning by 1 in the second half of games 1 & 3.

Berhalter will always be to blame for our lackluster performance(s).

Just because Jedi Robinson can finish 270+ minutes in 8 days against CONCACAF competition in qualifying does not mean that he can go 360+ minutes in 13 days ago far superior competition.

Substitution stupidity in Berhalter’s part does not excuse pool selection errors in Berhalter’s part. 

Sounds like you have an issue with the manager rather than the selection then 😁

If Roldan and LD didn't see the field neither would have Tillman. Whether he should have or not. 

That's the only point I'm making. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sounds like you have an issue with the manager rather than the selection then 😁

If Roldan and LD didn't see the field neither would have Tillman. Whether he should have or not. 

That's the only point I'm making. 

If Gio couldn’t get on the field, I doubt there was a way get Tillman in there.

Z is right here. Deepen this roster all you want, Ggg loved his MMA centered 4-3-3 to a fault. 

Dude had the deepest, most talented US talent pool ever and basically ran the same lineup for 4 games in the World Cup. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Not that it matters much from the USMNT perspective, but Pulisic is injured and out "weeks" for Chelsea. This likely end his transfer talk for the short term. He was injured in the FA Cup match over the weekend.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/chelsea-injury-crisis-worsens-christian-pulisic-raheem-sterling-subbed-off-first-half/

On 1/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, Captain Ron said:

Not that it matters much from the USMNT perspective, but Pulisic is injured and out "weeks" for Chelsea. This likely end his transfer talk for the short term. He was injured in the FA Cup match over the weekend.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2023/01/09/chelsea-injury-crisis-worsens-christian-pulisic-raheem-sterling-subbed-off-first-half/

Now it might be a couple of months

• Rage+1 2

I don’t get the Haji Wright hate.  He was bad when he came on against Iran. Totally get it.  But he played well against England and has been having a really good year in a pretty good league.  Yeah, there may be 3-4 strikers available better than him but he’s still under 25.  If he gets a shot at Prem, bully for him. Brentford seems like a good spot. 

This made me laugh.

72FAA707-AE89-4FD1-AE26-A007B00A7495.thumb.jpeg.327d1b541ee419a43ff0b1eda5776e43.jpeg

1) It’s nice to see the 15 year-old already has a shoe contract.

2) I wonder if he has a European passport. (France? Belgium?)

3) When Klinsmann stated that the players should get over to Europe ASAP, people have listened.

4) If he’s really good, maybe he can make our U-17 CONCACAF tournament this year to qualify for the U-17 World Cup.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

If Berhalter hadn’t banished Brooks after the first WC qualifying window, he would have lost the locker room by Christmas 2021.

Brooks’ indifference on the field and mutiny sowing off the field is why he never was called in after that first window. Fortunately for Berhalter, Brooks just kept getting worse and worse and Tim Ream was sitting right there next to Jedi Robinson as captain of Fulham in the form of his life when Gregg was fucked at CB.

It would be great if Carlo Ancellotti decided that he was bored in Madrid and wanted to semi-retire by becoming the USMNT coach. 🙏

3 hours ago, Rudiger said:

An uncapped 24-year-old MLS player. Neat. 

It could be easily argued that Brendan Vazquez should have been among our first two choices at the #9 in Qatar. At worst, he should have been brought in moto the June and September camps to give a reason not to include him.

He played in the US youth teams with all of the other 24 year-olds and shouldn’t be in the MLS much longer. 

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

ALEXI wants to keep GGG to own the libs.  He is trying his hardest to be the Clay Travis of soccer

Alexi is saying this stuff for two reasons.

1) For the interaction/ clicks/ ratings numbers.

2) He has played with Gregg and has access to him for interviews. No European/South American coach is going to give Alexi the time of day. He really ages out if they bring in someone from overseas.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I didn’t see the match, but I saw that he was right there left watching as Casemiro almost knocked in a winner in the 92’ minute and thought… he was nearly a goat 🐐 (original meaning) right before the final whistle, be Casemiro was most likely the LCB’s man.

He showed impressive speed around the 1:00 mark tracking that winger and knocking the ball away near the end line. Also around the 1:20 mark his speed was apparent. 

Hopefully he finally sees more playing time. Drawing a very hot ManU squad is an unexpected result. 

He looks slightly better than Walker Zimmerman.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

GK- Sean Johnson

DEF- Aaron Long 

MID- Kellyn Acosta

FWD- Paul Arriola

These are the elder statesmen at each position who should be done as USMNT players after this year’s Gold Cup (if top players want time off this summer).

Only Julian Gressel is old besides those guys and he is a new old guy in case some top players pass on the Gold Cup…

In my opinion.

Stan gets a little over his skis sometimes.

I mean you look at that roster, there are only 9 people on there that are 25 and up.

image.png.cbc954129c36bdeb98f550324e7d63d9.png

I added 24 to get half the roster.

As a whole I think Stan is a touch off base, but his idea isn't terrible. I mean bring in old guys that offer something - Zimm and Acosta really are it. Don't waste your time on guys that just didn't cut it (Long should never wear a US jersey unless he's cheering in the stands). Arriola is going to age out by the next go around - so cut him too.

I can see both sides. There's something to be said for those guys familiarity and leadership. You also never know who you're going to have to call up in a pinch - so even if you wouldn't want some of those guys to make a 23/26 moving forward they can at times be your best option for depth. 

Obviously you'd like to get a look at as many young talents as you can, but which of those guys were even available for this window that didn't make the list?

It's a January camp for a couple of friendlies where we don't even have a real coach. Having a vet at each spot to help new guys acclimate to the environment is perfect. There should be zero complaints about this.

Soccer fans also get way too excited about people "aging out". Dude turning 28 or 30 doesn't mean he's suddenly trash. It's very unlikely that any of our late 20s to early 30s (in four years) players are going to age out of the pool for the next world cup. They just likely won't be better than the younger talent that's coming up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The positive for US Soccer is that the non-fans wouldn’t be able to avoid news coverage of the USMNT in the US.

Also, Danielle Reyna can start fucking herself right now, because no one else is going to give a fuck what she thinks if Jose is the manager. (No one gives a shit about Claudio either.)

Gio can start focusing on making an impact on the 2030 squad unless he completely reinvents himself, because if he doesn’t become a selfless defender for 90 minutes, he’s not going to see the pitch.

NEGATIVE:

The entire 2026 World Cup will become 100% about José Mourinho and non-fans may not even know the name or face of any of the US players until the first USMNT match.

I would not be psyched about Mourinho, but he would have no problem picking the best “team players”.

If he had been the manager for 2022, the squad would have been much older,:

Ream would have been the captain from 2020

Eryk Williamson would have been in the squad.

Perfok & Vazquez would have likely been on the squad.

Joe Scally is young, but his pedigree may have earned him minutes over the other RB chaff.

Brooks would have still been cut from the squad.

LDLT would have been left off. 

Ferreira would not have made the squad. 

Shaq Moore would not have may the team  

Can’t say what he would have done with Roldan & Morris, but Reyna likely wouldn’t have played, especially if he had come in acting like a bitch. His being out for nearly a year would have ended any shot that he would have had at starting. 

There wouldn’t have been more than 5 MLS players, and maybe as few as 3. He would have taken more obscure Euro players because he understands how much faster and cut throat Europe is, so Duane Holmes would have gotten as much of a look as Acosta.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The positive for US Soccer is that the non-fans wouldn’t be able to avoid news coverage of the USMNT in the US.

Also, Danielle Reyna can start fucking herself right now, because no one else is going to give a fuck what she thinks if Jose is the manager. (No one gives a shit about Claudio either.)

Gio can start focusing on making an impact on the 2030 squad unless he completely reinvents himself, because if he doesn’t become a selfless defender for 90 minutes, he’s not going to see the pitch.

NEGATIVE:

The entire 2026 World Cup will become 100% about José Mourinho and non-fans may not even know the name or face of any of the US players until the first USMNT match.

I would not be psyched about Mourinho, but he would have no problem picking the best “team players”.

If he had been the manager for 2022, the squad would have been much older,:

Ream would have been the captain from 2020

Eryk Williamson would have been in the squad.

Perfok & Vazquez would have likely been on the squad.

Joe Scally is young, but his pedigree may have earned him minutes over the other RB chaff.

Brooks would have still been cut from the squad.

LDLT would have been left off. 

Ferreira would not have made the squad. 

Shaq Moore would not have may the team  

Can’t say what he would have done with Roldan & Morris, but Reyna likely wouldn’t have played, especially if he had come in acting like a bitch. His being out for nearly a year would have ended any shot that he would have had at starting. 

There wouldn’t have been more than 5 MLS players, and maybe as few as 3. He would have taken more obscure Euro players because he understands how much faster and cut throat Europe is, so Duane Holmes would have gotten as much of a look as Acosta.

who gives a shit does anyone else give us a better chance at a deep run than Jose?

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

who gives a shit does anyone else give us a better chance at a deep run than Jose?

Yes.

I would rather wait until the summer and ask Zidane again. After that, I would be interested in Jogi Loew (Löw). 

The hope for the 2026 World Cup is to promote the game to the non-fans.

The problem with Jose is that he can make the most talented teams in the world virtually unwatchable. I don’t think that he can get the team further than Zidane or Löw or a few other foreign managers, but he can turn people off of the game of soccer. He is adept at that.

His best attributes are:

1) Resume, 2) ability to speak English, 3) ability to create headlines

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1