USMNT 2023

ztejas

It will be interesting to see if Gio gets called in for the March window or if US Soccer keeps clear of him for a while as well.

If they clean house (which was needed) and then bring Gio in, especially if he is given a starting role, then that rewards Gio & his parents for using their wild card that has changed several other people’s lives.

There are examples in other countries where a great player isn’t called in due to toxic issues. Benzema (France) and Icardi (Argentina) are two recent examples.

Working with US Soccer leading up to hosting the World Cup in 2026 was an opportunity of a lifetime for Earnie Stewart, Brian McBride, and Gregg Berhalter… welp! The Reynas just put a flame 🔥 thrower to those dream jobs. 

Claudio used to be known as “Captain America”, but perhaps he should have been known as “Anakin Skywalker”.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

There are examples in other countries where a great player isn’t called in due to toxic issues. Benzema (France) and Icardi (Argentina) are two recent examples.

the huge difference there is that in both cases it involved specific actions by the player

Icardi broke up a marriage from a former teammate both on the club and national team. his now wife and her then husband got divorced because of the relationship. he went 3+ years between being called up.

Benzema was involved with, charged and found guilty of conspiring to blackmail a former national teammate over a sex tape with 4 other people. all 5 were found guilty. he got a 1 year suspended sentence and a hefty fine. he was left off the national team for 5+ years.

Gio's situation isn't that.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

Claudio just resigned as sporting director of Austin FC, staying on as technical director.

https://www.austinfc.com/news/claudio-reyna-resigns-as-sporting-director-reyna-to-continue-with-austin-fc-as-t

no quotes from him in the article.

Claudio Reyna Resigns as Sporting Director; Reyna to Continue with Austin FC as Technical Advisor

Austin FC announced today that Claudio Reyna has transitioned into a Technical Advisor role, from the Club’s Sporting Director. In addition to his responsibilities as Head Coach, Josh Wolff will now serve as the Club’s Chief Soccer Officer on an interim basis and lead Austin FC’s sporting department. Sean Rubio, who has served alongside Wolff and Reyna as Director of Player Personnel since August 2020, has been promoted to Interim Sporting Director as part of the restructuring.   

“We’re grateful for Claudio’s contributions to both our Club and our community,” said Austin FC Majority Owner and Chief Executive Officer, Anthony Precourt. “Claudio has been committed to the cause of building a Club that inspires Austin, and he will remain in a position to contribute to our organization.”

“I am grateful that Anthony and the organization have given me the opportunity to scale back my role and responsibilities while continuing to contribute to the success of a club that I love,” said Austin FC Technical Advisor Claudio Reyna. “I take great pride in what we have accomplished but am looking forward to a less all-consuming work pace that still permits me to assist ongoing club development.”

To help ensure a smooth transition of responsibilities, Reyna will remain with Austin FC as a Technical Advisor, while Head Coach Josh Wolff, and Interim Sporting Director Sean Rubio will jointly assume additional day-to-day responsibilities, including the Club’s talent identification, acquisition, and management strategy, as well as full technical and high-performance duties. While Wolff will lead the sporting department as Austin FC’s Interim Chief Soccer Officer, both he and Rubio will report directly to Austin FC Majority Owner and CEO Anthony Precourt. 

“I’m confident in the leadership team that we have in place at our Club,” said Precourt. “Josh is a tremendous leader and is without question one of the best coaches in North America. Working alongside Sean, whose talent and experience has been absolutely critical in our roster construction over the past two seasons, I have full faith that we have the people in place to continue to compete for trophies and make Austin proud.” 

In addition to Wolff and Rubio, Nolan Sheldon – who previously served as an assistant under Wolff for both the 2021 and 2022 seasons – will assume additional responsibilities within Austin FC’s sporting operations, overseeing the connectivity between the Academy, ATXFC II, and the first team. Both Sheldon and Austin FC II Head Coach Brett Uttley will report directly into Wolff, as will High Performance Director Dave Tenney and Vice President of Sporting Operations Andrew DiLallo. The Austin FC Academy will now reside under the day-to-day oversight of Rubio. 

Austin FC kicked off its preparations for the 2023 season on Friday, Jan. 6 with ten days of training at St. David’s Performance Center. The team is now based at its preseason camp in Florida where it will be stationed from Jan. 16-27. After spending six (6) days at IMG Academy in Bradenton culminating with a match against Philadelphia Union on Saturday, Jan. 21, the Verde and Black will spend five (5) days in Orlando culminating with a match against FC Cincinnati on Friday, Jan. 27 in Clearwater.

After returning to Austin, the Club will host USL Championship sides El Paso Locomotive FC and Louisville City FC at St. David’s Performance Center for friendly matches on Saturday, Feb. 4 and Saturday, Feb. 11 respectively.

Upon the conclusion of preseason training, Austin FC will kick off its third season with back-to-back home matches at Q2 Stadium against 2023 MLS expansion club St. Louis CITY SC and last year’s Eastern Conference runners-up CF Montréal on Saturday, February 25 and Saturday, March 4 respectively. ATXFC’s first road match of 2023 will see the Verde & Black take on Real Salt Lake on Saturday, March 11 at American First Field in Sandy, Utah.

On the field, Austin FC had a historic 2022 campaign in which the Club finished second place in the MLS Western Conference and tied the league record for the largest points improvement by a second-year expansion team (+25). Austin also became only the third MLS team to advance through its first two rounds of postseason play in club history, defeating Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas to reach the Western Conference Final. In addition, the Club qualified for the 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League by way of its fourth-place finish in the Supporters’ Shield Standings.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It will be interesting to see if Gio gets called in for the March window or if US Soccer keeps clear of him for a while as well.

If they clean house (which was needed) and then bring Gio in, especially if he is given a starting role, then that rewards Gio & his parents for using their wild card that has changed several other people’s lives.

Working with US Soccer leading up to hosting the World Cup in 2026 was an opportunity of a lifetime for Earnie Stewart, Brian McBride, and Gregg Berhalter… welp! The Reynas just put a flame 🔥 thrower to those dream jobs. 

Claudio used to be known as “Captain America”, but perhaps he should have been known as “Anakin Skywalker”.

I would argue that Stewart put the flame thrower on himself when he hired Berhalter. That hitched his wagon to Gggg. Plus the nepotism of that hire was a joke.

Gregg at the very least poured gas on himself with the whole leadership talk. His performance at the World Cup didn’t help either.

McBride - what the heck has he even done? Positive or negative?

The Reynas didn’t do anything of consequence to push any of those guys out. The 30 year old story was a big nothing burger.

And if Gio plays, that’s not them winning, the USSF is in the business of winning games, running him out there is how you do that.

Plus that just might be the very least to make nice with him for how Gergg treated him in Qatar.

Finally - it’s already been said that Gio’s “toxicity” isn’t even close to what the others listed did. Additionally the player pools of the countries in question are much deeper than the US, so taking out a Benzema when you have a Giroud isn’t that big of a deal.  

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I’ll pass on living in Leeds, but I wouldn’t be against going to a home game. 

PS- Hopefully another team comes in and steals Weston at the last minute. Going from Turin to Leeds… 

image.gif.8c65a58c07d4466c9925495da39f6bb9.gif

Leeds to Manchester - 1 hour

Leeds to Liverpool - 1.5 hours

Leeds to London - 4 hours

Don’t really see the problem. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The Reynas didn’t do anything of consequence to push any of those guys out. The 30 year old story was a big nothing burger.

Perhaps you haven’t been following the allegations of abuse and looking the other way in the women’s professional league in the US over the last couple of years. 

Perhaps you missed the whole “#metoo” movement in the US over the last 5 years.

Perhaps you missed the USWNT’s “fight for equal pay” over the last 5+ years.

I don’t know what news you choose to consume and what news you aren’t exposed to, but…

That “nothing burger” from 30+ years ago has made Gregg Berhalter unhireable in the US for the foreseeable future.

He will have to go through a public reconciliation process of multiple years before he can be hired in any public capacity in the US.

I never wanted him as the USMNT coach and I mentioned that I wanted the team to finish with whatever results were necessary for US Soccer to move on from Gregg, the Reyna Family Reality TV storyline has completely blown up US Soccer and it came down to using the domestic abuse story (drunken teenage kick) from 30+ years ago to carpet bomb not only the men’s side, but even Ernie Stewart, who oversaw the men’s AND women’s top brass.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Perhaps you haven’t been following the allegations of abuse and looking the other way in the women’s professional league in the US over the last couple of years. 

Perhaps you missed the whole “#metoo” movement in the US over the last 5 years.

Perhaps you missed the USWNT’s “fight for equal pay” over the last 5+ years.

I don’t know what news you choose to consume and what news you aren’t exposed to, but…

That “nothing burger” from 30+ years ago has made Gregg Berhalter unhireable in the US for the foreseeable future.

He will have to go through a public reconciliation process of multiple years before he can be hired in any public capacity in the US.

I never wanted him as the USMNT coach and I mentioned that I wanted the team to finish with whatever results were necessary for US Soccer to move on from Gregg, the Reyna Family Reality TV storyline has completely blown up US Soccer and it came down to using the domestic abuse story (drunken teenage kick) from 30+ years ago to carpet bomb not only the men’s side, but even Ernie Stewart, who oversaw the men’s AND women’s top brass.

That’s a lot of words based on “did you hear about…”

or I can take the words spoken in the presser today:

The guy isn’t under contract. They could have said he was no longer under consideration. They didn’t.

• Haha 1

And not to dismiss any of the things you said - they are right and just causes.

But until USSF says Berhalter isn’t being retained because of the 1991 incident, that incident is a nothing burger.

And frankly his coaching record makes him pretty unhireable, so him not getting another job doesn’t mean much. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1) US Soccer will never say “Berhalter isn’t being retained because of the 1991 incident.” [spitting coffee laughing emoji]

Lawyers, subpoenas, discovery, lawsuits, bad press, million dollar payouts, more investigations… they will NEVER say that!

a) A new director will be hired.

b) That person will not hire Gregg.

c) US Soccer will say “[____ ___] is who the new director has chosen to be the USMNT manager.”

2) Gregg won the first CONCACAF Nations League, then won the Gold Cup with our B team vs Mexico’s A team, then qualified for the World Cup with a bunch of kids and injuries to our top players and a discipline issue (McKennie) that was dealt with followed by the hat player earning his way back into the squad. Then at the World Cup, we advanced out of a group that had highly ranked opponents (even if two of them sucked ass) and the team and coaching staff dealt with a malcontent internally… until it blew up after Gregg was rooting his own horn at a leadership conference. 

I think that Gregg sucks ass as a manager, but his resume is actually pretty good. He also received a lot of international praise for our game plan and execution vs England. 

Even against The Netherlands our issue was that the players ran out of gas, not the lack of hunger by the players. 

I would argue that his squad selection led to his limited depth, but it argued that injuries robbed the team of enough depth to do much more than advance to the knockout stages to then succumb to three perfectly executed counterattacks.

If this were the recruiting board, Close To Jumping and others would be going off on the legal two step that IS Soccer is performing. The basketball board also went to town on Beard’s situation. I’m not a lawyer, but I am familiar with bullshit. 

As the special Men In Blazers podcast touched on, when you give a bunch of half-ass reasons that someone (Ernie Stewart) is leaving, none of those reasons are really why the person is leaving. 

Again, US Soccer will continue to say that Gregg is a candidate until a new manager is hired. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Leeds to Manchester - 1 hour

Leeds to Liverpool - 1.5 hours

Leeds to London - 4 hours

Don’t really see the problem. 

an hour to get to manchester?  manchester is like a worse version of pittsburgh.  and liverpool's worse than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He worked at FOX Soccer, he worked at ESPN for about a decade, he’s called games for LAFC since their inception, and he has made the jump to Apple for future MLS broadcasts, and I would say that he knows what he is talking about.

He has an opinion on Gregg’s future within the first 3 to 5 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He worked at FOX Soccer, he worked at ESPN for about a decade, he’s called games for LAFC since their inception, and he has made the jump to Apple for future MLS broadcasts, and I would say that he knows what he is talking about.

He has an opinion on Gregg’s future within the first 3 to 5 minutes.

from that video... earnie stewart has a size 8 foot but wore a size 5 shoe b/c his packed foot gave him more power? what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

from that video... earnie stewart has a size 8 foot but wore a size 5 shoe b/c his packed foot gave him more power? what?

I think that this is an exaggeration, because…

I used to wear an undersized cleat and then wear at least two pairs of socks (maybe three?) so that my toe was jammed against the front of the cleat.

Back then they didn’t have the plastic ballet slipper cleats like they do now, only the adidads Copa America line, made with supple/stretchy kangaroo leather, could really stretch to mold to your foot, but those were expensive, so I wore a cheaper brand/line. 

Middle school-> high school I didn’t know shit about cleat sizing, nor understand the importance using a specific shoe on a specific surface. (I didn’t play club and never had a coach who knew jackshit.)

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

As hosts we get to pick between Bolivia and Venezuela for our group right?

When choosing, remember all Bolivian matches need to be at sea level in humidity. And all Venezuela matches need to be at altitude and preferably in cool weather.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I think that this is an exaggeration, because…

I used to wear an undersized cleat and then wear at least two pairs of socks (maybe three?) so that my toe was jammed against the front of the cleat.

Back then they didn’t have the plastic ballet slipper cleats like they do now, only the adidads Copa America line, made with supple/stretchy kangaroo leather, could really stretch to mold to your foot, but those were expensive, so I wore a cheaper brand/line. 

Middle school-> high school I didn’t know shit about cleat sizing, nor understand the importance using a specific shoe on a specific surface. (I didn’t play club and never had a coach who knew jackshit.)

in the video i think he said he wore like an 8 normally but a 5.5 size cleat

did a google and found a https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/wearing-a-smaller-shoe-size.115969/forum post from 2004 (!!!) saying:

A few weeks ago when DC was playing LA on FSW, either Bretos or Hopkins pointed out that Earnie Stewart wears a size 9, but plays in a 7 1/2 because he feels that this allows him to make a cleaner strike on the ball. I wear a 10 but I'm thinking of playing in 9s if this is the case. Has anybody tried this?

in the comments there is someone else saying he wears a 5.5 in games.

quick google on shoe sizes:

image.png.bc18aec823874c423a7f017ebcfc3319.png

from an 8 to a 5.5 is 1" shorter

from a 9 to a 7.5 is only 0.5" shorter - that makes a ton more sense, especially if you can get a 7.5 in larger widths

• Hook 'Em 1

Excellent journalistic research!

I am all over the place on shoes.

Running Shoe - 10W 

Dress Shoe - 9 1/2 (if not “wide”) or 9 (if wide)

Soccer Shoe - 8 1/2, but haven’t played since returning from Argentina 

I don’t need to be risking knee damage at this point in my life, but I’m continually tempted to get a pair of some kind of plastic slipper cleats just to see what they are like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Excellent journalistic research!

I am all over the place on shoes.

Running Shoe - 10W 

Dress Shoe - 9 1/2 (if not “wide”) or 9 (if wide)

Soccer Shoe - 8 1/2, but haven’t played since returning from Argentina 

I don’t need to be risking knee damage at this point in my life, but I’m continually tempted to get a pair of some kind of plastic slipper cleats just to see what they are like. 

Always depends on the brand for me. Generally a 13 but there are 12s that fit perfect and there are 12s that are murder on my feet. 

I knew a guy in Dallas who was I think an inch or two shorter than me and he wore something crazy like a 17. It was wild the first time I noticed how big his shoes were. 

Cool.  Not only 3 Americans, but 3 players that, I'm assuming, most of us like.  Reminds me of Fulham in the 2000's.  They had McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, and Keller.  They also had Eddie Johnson and Eddie Lewis at some point; though my feeble mind doesn't recall them all that much.

For today's viewing schedule - 

Texas plays Tennessee at 5 central on ESPN

NT plays Colombia at 6:30 on TNT

I'm assuming we play a more competitive lineup tonight. If Paxten doesn't start I'm mailing a box full of moldy cat diarrhea to the USSF office.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I looked at that match’s box score when he was still on the bench. I was hoping that he’d get called in.

I think that he is a dual national, but I could see him choosing the US and that leading to Jonathan Gómez choosing Mexico after the 2024 Olympics.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Cheeky strike that. 

So now you’re a British regard who places the subject at the end of your statement. Whether you’re calling football matches or tennis matches, it will never NOT be annoying  

Just don’t start saying “Coper Americker”.

(Or are you a mensch from Central/Eastern Europe who secretly came to the U.S. 100+ years ago, but you can’t let go of your Yiddish-influenced English?)

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

So now you’re a British regard who places the subject at the end of your statement. Whether you’re calling football matches or tennis matches, it will never NOT be annoying  

Just don’t start saying “Coper Americker”.

(Or are you a mensch from Central/Eastern Europe who secretly came to the U.S. 100+ years ago, but you can’t let go of your Yiddish-influenced English?)

I don't have to take this from an Argentine. You will respect my proud British heritage and we will not speak further on the matter. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

If he’s a dual nat, that’s news to me.  Played with US Youth teams and came up through DC United 

He has a Spanish last name. “[Walls]”

Wherever there is a Spanish last name (apellido), there is a strong possibility of multiple eligibilities.

EDIT:

We have nothing to worry about.

9732682F-044D-4873-8E0C-424E617FE1A7.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

Play-by-play guy is a posh Brit. I want to smack him already even though his accent isn’t over the top. 

SIDE NOTE:

”Sold Out Stadium” & “Packed House” of “about 26,000 fans” means that they may have fewer than 5,000 people in the stadium and most of them will be Colombians. 

This crowd is a joke, but I bet that the pregame tailgating was festive. (Though apparently all of the attractive colombianas are sitting this one out.)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Play-by-play guy is a posh Brit. I want to smack him already even though his accent isn’t over the top. 

SIDE NOTE:

”Sold Out Stadium” & “Packed House” of “about 26,000 fans” means that they may have fewer than 5,000 people in the stadium and most of them will be Colombians. 

This crowd is a joke, but I bet that the pregame tailgating was festive. (Though apparently all of the attractive colombianas are sitting this one out.)

You can watch en Español on Peacock.