USMNT 2023

ztejas

Just keep reading the quotes and it explains it? They were worried about his fitness level. They were also worried about him just walking around not trying at all. It's really not hard to imagine a scenario where both of those are true. There's also nothing mentioning that Gio was expected to go all out in training. The quotes were “walk[ed] around, and mope[d] around the whole time.”, "seemed ticked off”, "did not appear to be trying at all”, and “other guys were busting their tails doing the sprints” while “Gio didn’t do anything.”

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, The Dog said:

His consulting job in Austin may not be “a temporary position before returning to the team” like people have speculated. 

Austin FC may have to cut ties with Claudio, because misogyny doesn’t fly with soccer moms in the capital of Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

His consulting job in Austin may not be “a temporary position before returning to the team” like people have speculated. 

Austin FC may have to cut ties with Claudio, because misogyny doesn’t fly with soccer moms in the capital of Texas. 

Dude Claudio has been gone for months. And he was a total dipshit when he was here. We're still sorting through the bullshit decisions he helped make. 

Oh you're talking about the bullshit new title they gave him. I doubt he's done any significant work under that title. He'll be "officially" gone soon enough after this shit. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Just keep reading the quotes and it explains it? They were worried about his fitness level. They were also worried about him just walking around not trying at all. It's really not hard to imagine a scenario where both of those are true. There's also nothing mentioning that Gio was expected to go all out in training. The quotes were “walk[ed] around, and mope[d] around the whole time.”, "seemed ticked off”, "did not appear to be trying at all”, and “other guys were busting their tails doing the sprints” while “Gio didn’t do anything.”

Makes me wonder why he doesn't play more for Dortmund. 

I feel like anything we get from that kid at this point is a bonus. Which is a shame, as he's the most gifted player to ever put on the kit. 

But - cest la vie. We aren't exactly short at that position. We'll be fine even if someone like him never materializes. There will be more Gio Reynas.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Booooooo!!!

I would have left him down with the Olympic team under after the summer of 2024. 

SOMETHING I HAVE LEARNED:

Something that I have learned from Joe Mixon, Gregg Berhalter, and Chris Beard

Ladies should not introduce violence into a heated argument, because they may not be able to handle the response. 

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

A lot of people that linked to that are saying it is one of our best rosters we've ever put together.

Coach is Anthony Hudson, named interim after GGG's contract expired. 

Ah, i thought he already left for a permanent spot in Europe. Maybe they were just rumors.

I would like something that didn't imply he was OK with the direction the organization was going with GGG at the helm. I mean I literally just got a message from my score app talking about Pulisic defending GGG

image.png.00e00fd435a342da63d50915f98ae443.png

What I would like is him to say "I want to put this all behind us and move on."

(BTW - don't get me wrong - this whole thing is stupid and childish)

And that's assuming he wasn't 100% good with GGG, he could be - and that would suck too.

Edited by Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

What I would like is him to say "I want to put this all behind us and move on."

(BTW - don't get me wrong - this whole thing is stupid and childish)

And that's assuming he wasn't 100% good with GGG, he could be - and that would suck too.

i thought that McKinnie's friend who was posting stuff (including the Gio stuff after the World Cup) all but said that the top guys who were at major clubs pretty universally didn't like GGG, respect GGG or agree with how GGG handled things fro a coaching standpoint.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I think he is talking about the players, when he is talking about not wanting a bunch of new guys in 

Let's keep in mind he's 24 and the face of American soccer. Everything he says behind a camera is going to be extremely calculated. 

@Captain Ron we're gonna be fine, dude. I'm pretty sure Gregg won't be the manager for 2026. If he is, fuck it, we're going to be so ridiuclously loaded. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I just want to take this discussion on how shitty GGG is a little further:

2022 was the first time that we advanced out of the group stage with a sub 1 goal per game. And we got run off the field against the Netherlands in the R16 game. We had an early chance, missed it (so it goes) and then they dominated that game.

And with our less stacked teams? Let's go back and look:

2014 - 2 on Ghana, 2 on Portugal. Played neck and neck with Belgium and had the ball on Wondo's foot at the end of regulation to advance.

2010 - 1 on England, 2 on Slovenia, 1 on Algeria. Right there with Ghana in the R16 game

2002 - 3 on Portugal's Golden generation, 2 on a damn good Mexico team.

He handcuffed our extremely talented team. I don't get it. He didn't even work to get our best players on the field at the same time. It didn't fit his system.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I just want to take this discussion on how shitty GGG is a little further:

2022 was the first time that we advanced out of the group stage with a sub 1 goal per game. And we got run off the field against the Netherlands in the R16 game. We had an early chance, missed it (so it goes) and then they dominated that game.

And with our less stacked teams? Let's go back and look:

2014 - 2 on Ghana, 2 on Portugal. Played neck and neck with Belgium and had the ball on Wondo's foot at the end of regulation to advance.

2010 - 1 on England, 2 on Slovenia, 1 on Algeria. Right there with Ghana in the R16 game

2002 - 3 on Portugal's Golden generation, 2 on a damn good Mexico team.

He handcuffed our extremely talented team. I don't get it. He didn't even work to get our best players on the field at the same time. It didn't fit his system.

I get that you hate Berhalter and want to pretend he's the worst coach ever, but you think we got dominated by the Netherlands but that we played neck and neck with Belgium? Come on. Without Howard playing the game of his life, we'd have seen something like a 7-0 score line for Belgium. They had 26 shots on target! I also love the Netherlands game being used against Berhalter when we legitimately played a pretty even game with them, we just didn't put away the chances we got.

Is the only thing that matters goals scored? Giving up one goal in the group stage counts for something, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I get that you hate Berhalter and want to pretend he's the worst coach ever, but you think we got dominated by the Netherlands but that we played neck and neck with Belgium? Come on. Without Howard playing the game of his life, we'd have seen something like a 7-0 score line for Belgium. They had 26 shots on target! I also love the Netherlands game being used against Berhalter when we legitimately played a pretty even game with them, we just didn't put away the chances we got.

Is the only thing that matters goals scored? Giving up one goal in the group stage counts for something, right?

he is not a great coach, stop acting like he is.

if he was anywhere near a good to great coach, they would have extended him right after the world cup. or before it. or they would have re-signed him after negotiating after the new year. or they would have re-signed him after this report's conclusions were released. they haven't. they won't.

most talented team in generations and he had ties in 20% of his games. that is higher than Klinsmann (15%) and Bradley in 07-11 (16.3%)

they qualified 3rd in the hex. same points per game as Costa Rica. was truly abysmal on the road, the only teams who won fewer games on the road was Honduras who won 0 total games in the Hex. 5 of the 6 games they won were 1-0 wins. they dropped points against bad opponents. they only reason they didn't have to qualify through the playoff was GD.

he did develop a quality culture, player led. that's great and worth something. he recruited dual eligible players well for sure. that's valuable.

but he was bad at squad management. he was bad at in starting management. he was bad at sub management. he was bad at anytime he had to shift from Plan A to Plan B, C, D, E - not tactically flexible at all - bad at in game management. he is bad at using the player pool effectively, or maximizing the player pool. he still doesn't have an identified striker. he focuses a LOT on MLS players. his tactics are wrong - at this last world cup, the team had the 2nd most crosses in the competition...and had the worst completion rate of anyone in the world cup. they were bad at set pieces, which is a historical trend under GGG.

look. he isn't terrible but let's not act like he is anywhere close to the right coach for 2026. he absolutely underperformed based on the talent in the pool. he lucked into the one of his most important player in the world Cup (Ream) - the US played 11 games in 2022 outside of the world cup, Ream played in 0 of them. they played 21 games in 2021, Ream played in 3. they played in 14 world cup qualifiers over the last cycle, Ream played in 1. that 1 game was an away game against the 2nd worst team in the hex. the USA tied 0-0...

if they hire him back, they are wasting the most important cycle in the history of soccer in the united states.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I mean he advance. And yeah, we played some hella strong defense.

Reaction Applause GIF

I expect him to field a strong defense, he was a defender.

What I don't expect is him to do is handcuff our offense in such a way as making the question "Who is our 9?" really was a pointless one.

Worst coach ever? No of course not. But he wasn't good and he certainly didn't make that team better. 

On the Netherlands vs Belgium game ...

Belgium - did they dominate the game? Absolutely. And yes, we needed Howard to have the game of his life. But in the end, if Wondo scores THAT GOAL, we advance.

The Netherlands - This absolutely is a game that We got dominated in. LVG let us "play" our game and we did NOTHING with it. At the half possession was advantage USA 63/37 but only created 2 shots on frame with that. Once they had the 2-0 lead the game was over.

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

he is not a great coach, stop acting like he is.

if he was anywhere near a good to great coach, they would have extended him right after the world cup. or before it. or they would have re-signed him after negotiating after the new year. or they would have re-signed him after this report's conclusions were released. they haven't. they won't.

I don't think Berhalter should have been hired for a 2nd cycle. He's not a bad coach and he didn't do a bad job with the US. He did perfectly fine and is as good a coach as we've ever had. When he was hired, he had the exact type of resume that we should expect for the USMNT coach. And then he got essentially the expected results along the way (slightly overperforming winning every regional cup, slightly underperforming in qualifying). But getting a 2nd cycle should require more than that so I agree that it's time to move on.

Any time someone talks about how tactically inflexible we were, I really have to question if they even watch the games or if they are just parroting click bait youtube accounts that have been cheering for Berhalter to fail since he was hired. We've tried a bunch of different things tactically and the World Cup showed us varying plans each game. The one part where Berhalter really seemed to lack was with in game adjustments.

34 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I don't think Berhalter should have been hired for a 2nd cycle. He's not a bad coach and he didn't do a bad job with the US. He did perfectly fine and is as good a coach as we've ever had. When he was hired, he had the exact type of resume that we should expect for the USMNT coach. And then he got essentially the expected results along the way (slightly overperforming winning every regional cup, slightly underperforming in qualifying). But getting a 2nd cycle should require more than that so I agree that it's time to move on.

Any time someone talks about how tactically inflexible we were, I really have to question if they even watch the games or if they are just parroting click bait youtube accounts that have been cheering for Berhalter to fail since he was hired. We've tried a bunch of different things tactically and the World Cup showed us varying plans each game. The one part where Berhalter really seemed to lack was with in game adjustments.

i stand by my tactical comment. when you are the team that puts in the most crosses and has the last % of them that connect, that's bad tactics to keep doing it. that's part of tactical gameplan.

the set pieces are tactics as well, and they were not good. CP was not great on corners. they were not good on set pieces. that's part of tactics to me.

the US was not good tactically in the last 30 of most to all of their WC games and that extended back into the hex. that's part of tactics to me

how's this - after 4 years the US's identity was a strong defense and a weak offense. the best defensive player on that strong defense played basically none during qualifying or the 2 years (!!!) leading into the world cup. what does that say about coaching? what does that say about pool and player management?

i don't think he's horrific. i just think the team should expect more and should have qualified better in the hex, should have played better in the world cup and the team should move forward with a new coach and staff. as it is they are in the process of doing that but have yet to hire any of the roles above the coach or hire the guy who would hire the coach. i have little to no faith in them hiring the right guy right now.

i think we will see what the soccer world thinks of him when he lands somewhere else at a deeply disappointing job as a step down from the USMNT. if he goes back to MLS, it's a disappointment.

43 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Ok, now I know you are off your rocker.

"He's not a bad coach and he didn't do a bad job with the US"
Sure. But he wasn't a good coach and he didn't do a good job with the US. He did the bare minimum given the group and personnel he had. 

As good a coach as we've ever had? THIS IS LAUGHABLE. Arena was a far better coach. I think Bradley was also a hell of a lot better too. Even Klinsmann was better! The key was these coaches understood how to utilize our best talent.

His resume? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!? Bradley & Arena both won trophies and were seen as great hires. JK had a 3rd place World Cup finish with Germany in 2006!!! Gregg was a midding coach at best. He was fired from a 2nd tier Swedish club for a lack of offense. Columbus was pretty mediocre as well. Overall his record wasn't just a sub .500 win percentage, it was sub .400!!!

Results - Nations League, I think a win was to be expected due to the personnel. Gold Cup - Impressive, we weren't the best team but overcame. World Cup - this was the floor give the group and team. He just performed, no over or under, just was really there.

And tactically inflexible - Wait a second - you literally said "We've tried a bunch of different things tactically and the World Cup showed us varying plans each game." And you say we aren't watching???!?! COME THE FUCK ON!!! We basically ran out the same lineup for all 4 games. It was what LVG took advantage of in the last game when he ran us into the ground because we ran out of gas.

I will also say this - no one wanted Gregg to fail. We wanted him to prove us wrong. I would have loved to beat the Netherlands and be eating crow. But none of us expected him to. Most of us had a feeling what this team was going to do - and unfortunately he proved us right.

I'm with @NoName (and I didn't even touch his points like his roster selections post qualification/player pool management) If you don't want him back, why defend him? He wasn't all that and a bag of chips. He basically rolled the balls out at practice and that's it.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

From the outside everyone can see that Gregg needs to go. From the inside, the team can’t see the obvious and would like him to stay. 🤬

Gregg has developed a cult of personality. Holy shit!!

PS- Pulisic is starting today.

Edited by Napoleon