USMNT 2023

ztejas

25 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Ernie Stewart doing the good work.

Ricardo Pepi zet zinnen op transfer naar PSV: 'Hij wil dolgraag op 3 juli aansluiten'

”Ricardo Pepi sets sights on transfer to PSV: 'He would love to join on July 3'”

————————————

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_2654.jpeg

Ummm…

He only had 1 goal this year as a U.S. international player. 

He had 19 goals as an English international.

…but that doesn’t sound as good when marketing to corporate sponsors looking to sign up a soccer star in the build up to 2026. 

• Hook 'Em 1

trusty update

set to rejoin arsenal in the summer - who knows what the fuck that means

bham supporters player of the year: https://sbisoccer.com/2023/05/auston-trusty-named-birmingham-city-supporters-player-of-the-season

transfermarkt up to €9m

+++

really hoping to see him paired with zimmerman in the nations league games

15 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

trusty update

set to rejoin arsenal in the summer - who knows what the fuck that means

bham supporters player of the year: https://sbisoccer.com/2023/05/auston-trusty-named-birmingham-city-supporters-player-of-the-season

transfermarkt up to €9m

+++

really hoping to see him paired with zimmerman in the nations league games

I’m with you on that!

*except for the Zimmerman part.

Leeds appears to be going down barring a miracle. McKennie is almost certainly gone. I don't see any way TA and his agent don't demand a sale but I guess it's possible he hoofs it in the EFL. I think Aaronson probably stays. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Leeds appears to be going down barring a miracle. McKennie is almost certainly gone. I don't see any way TA and his agent don't demand a sale but I guess it's possible he hoofs it in the EFL. I think Aaronson probably stays. 

Did McKennie meet the requirements for the sale? Everything I read shows he’s owned by Juve still.

As far as Adams and Aaronson - it really depends on the style Leeds wants to play. I think that was the bigger issue once they got rid of Marsch. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Did McKennie meet the requirements for the sale? Everything I read shows he’s owned by Juve still.

As far as Adams and Aaronson - it really depends on the style Leeds wants to play. I think that was the bigger issue once they got rid of Marsch. 

Yeah I don't know the details - looks like there was an option for them to buy coming up but I'm assuming it was contingent on staying up. They can't afford his wages in EFL. 

On 5/28/2023 at 2:14 AM, Napoleon said:

I’m with you on that!

*except for the Zimmerman part.

I want Tim Ream to tutor Miles Robinson at the National camps this summer. Make Ream a special assistant this summer while he’s mending his broken arm. Robinson turned down a renewal and should be moving to Europe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So who the fuck are we hiring? Does Marsch not want the NT job? Are we going to give it to Anthony Hudson? Because I still have time to go buy a toaster and draw a bath today. 

A lot of people want us to look at Pellegrino Matarazzo. 

2 hours ago, Rudiger said:

Why not? I mean, it worked out well for Freddy Adu’s career!

This is the exact opposite of Freddy Adu.

The manager did NOT want Freddy Adu. In this scenario, the manager absolutely DOES want these players.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

So who the fuck are we hiring? Does Marsch not want the NT job? Are we going to give it to Anthony Hudson? Because I still have time to go buy a toaster and draw a bath today. 

I would rather have perennial MLS loser, Anthony Hudson over Jesse Marsch

They gave Aaronson a relegation clause after spending $30+ to get him only to sack the manager who bought him and still got relegated.

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

who do you want to see them hire/be on the shortlist? totally understand people not wanting JM btw

Give Hudson the full year and then, if he shows that he can’t inspire his players and proves to be inflexible, then find someone else. 

Argentina did pretty well with an assistant coach who took over the reins and created a system around the players that he had. (And he didn’t always have Messi in the preceding 2 1/2 years, but they hadn’t lost in forever until they lost to Saudi Arabia 2-1 on a Saudi xG of 0.15.

Find a manager who understands that “glue guys” don’t have to be on the roster (Exhibit A: Kün Agüero), who picks a good roster, and then creates a system that caters to the talent and I’m fine with that guy. There are probably over a dozen managers who fit that bill, I just want one of them. Jesse Marsch has shown not to be a duty who checks off those boxes. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Tenorio/Bogert @ Athletic: USMNT transfer outlook: Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie and more likely on the move

Spoiler

USMNT transfer outlook: Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie and more likely on the move

BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND - MAY 06: Christian Pulisic of Chelsea who was named as a substitute during the Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and Chelsea FC at Vitality Stadium on May 06, 2023 in Bournemouth, England. (Photo by Robin Jones - AFC Bournemouth/AFC Bournemouth via Getty Images)
By Tom Bogert and Paul Tenorio
May 29, 2023

In the lead-up to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, discussions around the U.S. men’s national team centered on potential.

The squad that qualified for the World Cup was the youngest in the world, by average age. They were the second-youngest team at November’s tournament. Over the next three years, however, that narrative will shift and the team will no longer be judged on potential. Many young stars will enter their primes. A home World Cup will increase expectations.

While the 2026 World Cup feels a long way away, the reality is that this upcoming summer could have a massive influence on the growth of the young core of the USMNT. It will influence whether the reality of this team’s maturation matches the expectations.

From stars like Christian Pulisic and Tyler Adams in their mid-20s looking for the correct move as they enter their prime, to younger stalwarts like Yunus Musah and Tim Weah seeking the next step in their promising young careers, to players further down the pool like Auston Trusty and Taylor Booth trying to firm up their standing in the pool and become regular call-ups, the decisions on which clubs to play for — the countries, the styles of play, their roles within the team, whether they regularly feature in European competition — will impact each individual’s respective development.

That, in turn, will reflect on the USMNT.

It’s a summer of flux for the U.S. national team, from organizational leadership to technical staff, down through the pool’s biggest stars.

U.S. Soccer named Matt Crocker sporting director in April, the first of a crucial set of top-down decisions at the program. Crocker said last week he aims to hire a USMNT head coach by August. That person will play a huge role in the direction of the program. Another key decision came this month when FIFA approved Folarin Balogun’s switch to represent the United States after previously being with England, completed in time to debut next month at the Nations League.

With his international future sorted, Balogun can focus on charting his club future. But, as noted above, the uncertainty of where he will play next season is shared by a significant swath of the first-team pool. More than a dozen European-based U.S. players could be on the move this summer.

Where the players land won’t be entirely in their hands. How many of the players are going to be first-choice transfer options? How many others will learn their fate later in the window, as other players at their positions are bought and sold? How much will individual desire — the want to play for a Champions League contender versus the desire to be a featured star — weigh against what the market looks like for the players?

Here’s a look at the pivotal upcoming window for European-based U.S. players.

Likely to leave

Christian Pulisic

Starting with a captain, and the biggest star, Christian Pulisic looks to be on the move from Chelsea this summer.

There is one year left on his current deal and the winger played just 813 minutes in the Premier League this season, falling down the pecking order under three different managers just in 2022-23. Mauricio Pochettino will be the next Chelsea manager, maybe he has a different opinion on Pulisic’s standing in a crowded attacking group.

Figuring out a likely landing spot is murky. Finances, stature and Chelsea’s own plans cloud the outlook. Pulisic has been linked in potential swap deals for Chelsea to acquire other targets.

Newcastle, who officially qualified for the Champions League, could be a candidate for Pulisic with the right combination of European soccer, money to cover the deal and route to regular first-team minutes. Italian giants AC Milan and Napoli could make sense, but finances will be a hurdle.

There is a question, too, about what Pulisic is looking for. Does he want to go to another Champions League team where he’ll be in a fight for every minute? Does he drop down to the next tier of club, where he’ll be asked to be the man and develop in that way?

There’s a lot to be figured out at a crucial career point for the 24-year-old.

Tyler Adams

A stellar debut season in England for Tyler Adams was cut short by hamstring surgery in March, a crucial blow for Leeds United’s fight against relegation, which became inevitable on the final day of the season. The club finished 19th in the league and will spend 2023-24 in the Championship.

The expectation is Adams will depart now. But where to?

Adams’ performance and stylistic fit in the Premier League will make him an attractive option for any club outside the top six that can afford him. Will Adams prefer a potential rotation role at a top-six club or look to be a crucial starter at a club further down the table, like he was with Leeds?

Adams spent two and a half seasons at RB Leipzig and his style fits well with the Bundesliga, but German clubs will find it difficult to compete with Premier League clubs’ offers both in terms of transfer fee and contract.

Yunus Musah

After three seasons as a key player in Valencia’s midfield, Yunus Musah is likely to depart for a new challenge this summer. The Premier League is a likely landing spot.

Musah, 20, has been linked with numerous Premier League clubs, including Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and more. He’s a former England youth international and was a product of Arsenal’s academy before he joined Valencia.

Valencia is in a relegation battle and is in a good spot heading into the final day of the season, but aren’t mathematically safe yet. The Athletic’s David Ornstein reported he could be available for around $22 million.

Musah has already accrued 24 caps for the USMNT and is a crucial member of the squad.

Folarin Balogun

The USMNT’s newest star already made one crucial decision ahead of the summer when FIFA officially approved his switch to represent the United States, but now Balogun needs to sort his club situation.The 21-year-old has excelled on loan in France with Reims from Arsenal this season, becoming the first American to score 20 goals in one season in a top-five league. He has scored 20 of Reims’ 44 goals, the highest percentage of any player in France. He’s tied for fourth in the Golden Boot chase.

Ornstein reported last month Balogun wants to be a first-choice striker wherever he plays next season, which is unlikely at Arsenal with Gabriel Jesus and others in place. He also reported Balogun doesn’t want to go on loan again, with a permanent transfer the preference. AC Milan, Inter Milan, RB Leipzig, Marseille and Monaco are clubs expected to pursue Balogun.

Weston McKennie

Weston McKennie’s time at Leeds did not go well, with the fans chanting “you fat b—rd” at the American as he subbed out on the final day of the season.

McKennie will return to Juventus from his failed loan to Leeds. Will he make another move to England?

Brighton and Hove Albion is the latest club to be linked for a move this summer, while Bournemouth and Aston Villa were reportedly interested in the midfielder in January before he went to Leeds. The 24-year-old made 41 appearances this season between Juventus and Leeds.

GettyImages-1258251077-1024x683.jpg

Photo courtesy of Robbie Jay Barratt, AMA/Getty Images.

Sergiño Dest

Dest’s move to Barcelona from Ajax has been far from a dream. And his loan to AC Milan turned into a nightmare. This summer, his next transfer, be it permanent or on loan, is at an inflection point for his young career.

Dest, 22, has made only two Serie A starts this season with Milan and hasn’t appeared in a league game since January 24. He hasn’t even made the bench since March 4. Milan won’t trigger his purchase option and Dest will return to Barcelona this summer before likely making a new move.

Dest has been linked with a loan move to Union Berlin, where he could join fellow USMNT teammate Jordan Pefok, but one source, who’s involved in discussions regarding Dest’s future and granted anonymity to speak freely, told The Athletic that report isn’t true. Considering the stature of Dest’s clubs so far, the hope will be that he is back in the Champions League next season, but more importantly, he needs to find a club where he will get regular minutes again.

Tim Weah

Weah was a regular for Lille this season, but the attacker spent most of his minutes at either right or left fullback. For the USMNT, he thrives as a direct winger in a 4-3-3.

The 23-year-old could leave Lille this summer. Clubs from each of the top five leagues are interested, while a source involved in discussions regarding Weah’s future confirmed to The Athletic that Marseille is indeed among the clubs pursuing him.

Weah joined Lille from PSG in 2019 and won a league title with the club in 2020-21. Lille currently sits fifth with two matches remaining in the Ligue 1 season. Weah scored the opening goal for the U.S. at the World Cup and is a leader and glue guy in the locker room. The hope will be that he gets back into a squad where he’ll play regularly at the winger spot he plays on the international stage.

Brenden Aaronson

Like Adams, it’s expected Brenden Aaronson will be on the move this summer following Leeds’ relegation.

The Athletic reported that Aaronson does indeed have a relegation release clause in his contract and that sources are expecting it to be triggered. He should have options to remain in the top flight.

Aaronson, signed last summer for $30 million from RB Salzburg in a deal that was dependent on Leeds staying in the Premier League, appeared in 36 of the club’s 38 league games this season but hasn’t started in more than a month.

The 22-year-old broke through at the Philadelphia Union before transferring to RB Salzburg, where he stayed for a year and a half ahead of Leeds. The hard-working attacker has 29 caps with the USMNT.

Ricardo Pepi

Pepi is pushing to leave Augsburg this summer, a sentiment that has been conveyed to the German club in no uncertain terms, and it’s already gotten messy.

Pepi, his agent and Augsburg have all put out differing quotes on his future. Pepi was quoted by Fabrizio Romano saying there was “no chance” he’d stay at Augsburg after the club said they were counting on him for next season. Pepi’s agent was quoted by Dutch media saying the club should answer Pepi’s text before speaking about him publicly. Augsburg have made it clear they don’t feel they need to sell him.

PSV and Feyenoord are among the clubs interested in Pepi, but nailing down a price point will be difficult. Augsburg paid a club-record fee of around $18 million upfront plus $2 million incentives to sign the forward from Dallas 18 months ago and he’s under contract until the summer of 2026 with a club option for another year, so Augsburg has leverage.

Pepi, 20, has 12 goals on loan with FC Groningen in the Dutch top flight, though the club has been relegated to the second tier for next season.

Zack Steffen

Steffen plans to leave Manchester City this summer, perhaps on a permanent deal but another loan can’t be ruled out.

“I don’t think I’ll go back,” Steffen told Jonathan Tannenwald of the Philadelphia Inquirer in March. “No, I want to be playing. Although I had a great time at City and I love those guys, and obviously an amazing club, I don’t really have any plans to go back.”

Steffen, 28, spent this season on loan with Middlesbrough in the Championship. They failed to win promotion, losing in the Championship playoffs, and announced Steffen as one of the players who would be departing this summer. Steffen was acquired by Manchester City for around $7.5 million upfront (with add-ons to take the fee up to $10 million) in January 2019.

Options for loan or permanent deals elsewhere in England as well as Germany, where he spent 2019-20 on loan with Dusseldorf, are likely.

Ethan Horvath

The Nottingham Forest goalkeeper spent the season on loan at Luton Town and was a significant part of their promotion to the Premier League. Horvath started 44 games for Luton this season, with a rate of 0.84 goals against per 90 minutes. His post-shot expected goals rate was slightly under what was expected, but Horvath was mostly steady in net and, for the second straight season, was involved in the promotion of a team from the Championship to the Premier League.

Luton has the option to make the loan permanent. Considering his role this season, it would not be surprising if they triggered that option this summer.

Malik Tillman

On loan at Rangers from Bayern Munich, Malik Tillman has had a breakout season in Scotland. The original deal includes a purchase option: Will Rangers pick it up?

Tillman, turning 21 next week, has 11 goals and four assists in 43 appearances across all competitions for the Scottish giants this season. He made seven appearances for Bayern last season as he looked to break into the first team. Tillman will no doubt have a big say as to whether he remains in Scotland or seeks another move.

Bryan Reynolds

Reynolds is overwhelmingly expected to leave AS Roma this summer, with numerous clubs hopeful to take on the 21-year-old fullback.

The Athleticreported last week that West Ham is pursuing Reynolds, while Westerlo has already had an initial bid rejected. Part of West Ham’s plan would be to loan Reynolds to Sparta Prague next season for consistent playing time, a source with knowledge of the discussions told The Athletic.

Clubs in Belgium, the Netherlands and England are interested. With Reynolds’ familiarity and form in Belgium — currently on loan at Westerlo and spent half a season at Kortrijk — staying in Belgium or heading to the neighboring Netherlands seems likely.

Reynolds played just one Serie A minute under Jose Mourinho after being signed by Roma from FC Dallas in January 2021.

Auston Trusty

Trusty’s first season in England was a strong one; he was named Birmingham City’s Supporters’ Player of the Year while on loan from Arsenal.

It is unlikely Trusty breaks into Arsenal’s first-team squad, of course, and so he is expected to be on the move again. The 24-year-old has been linked with Rangers, and after his success with Birmingham, he’s likely to have interest elsewhere in the Championship.

Trusty started 44 of Birmingham’s Championship matches, a constant presence on the club’s backline. He chipped in with four goals as well.

Taylor Booth

Booth parlayed his career season with Utrecht into his USMNT debut in March.

The versatile midfielder, turning 22 next week, has two goals and four assists in 24 Eredivisie appearances over his debut season in the Netherlands after leaving Bayern Munich. Performances for a club like this often catch the attention of bigger clubs in the league as well as elsewhere in Europe.

Utrecht will want to cash in on Booth, and where they set the price is critical.

Probably staying

This portion isn’t exhaustive. For instance, it’s obvious Tim Ream will remain with Fulham, Joe Scally with Borussia Monchengladbach and Daryl Dike with West Brom, to name a few.

Gio Reyna

Borussia Dortmund were left heartbroken on the final day of the season, failing to nail down their first Bundesliga title in more than a decade thanks to a home draw to Mainz. While Gio Reyna hasn’t been a regular starter, he was a contributor to the title push with seven goals and two assists in 610 minutes.

Reyna is still only 20 years old and should have an improved outlook for playing time next season as he continues to develop and, hopefully, have better injury luck.

Any potential transfer would have to be for huge money, Reyna is regarded as one of the most talented U-21 players in the world. Dortmund has a history of developing and selling players for big money, like when Chelsea signed Pulisic from Dortmund for north of $70 million in 2019. Considering the drama that surrounded Reyna after the World Cup, however, this summer may not be the best time to try to maximize that value, and Reyna’s role off the bench in the back half of the season doesn’t set up well for that, either.

GettyImages-1493840145-1024x682.jpg

Photo courtesy of Alex Grimm, Getty Images.

Josh Sargent

It wasn’t a season to remember for Norwich City, but it was an important one for Sargent.

Sargent, 23, easily set career bests in goals (13) and league minutes (3,158). He didn’t exclusively play center forward but spent more time there than he has for a couple of years, key for his trajectory and development. Teemu Pukki is leaving the club this summer, giving Sargent even more opportunity to play center forward next year.

He is happy at Norwich and isn’t likely to leave this summer, despite interest in Germany. Norwich spent around $11 million to sign him and gave him a contract through 2025. He wouldn’t be available for cheap and Bundesliga clubs would struggle to match his salary.

Norwich was thought among the better Championship teams following their relegation from the Premier League but finished 13th. They’ll push again for promotion next season.

Matt Turner

While Turner (and any other goalkeeper) would prefer to be the first choice, a move from Arsenal this summer is unlikely.

Turner, 28, only joined Arsenal at the beginning of this season from the New England Revolution. He made seven appearances for Arsenal, five in the Europa League and two in the FA Cup, as he still awaits his Premier League debut behind No. 1 Aaron Ramsdale.

It will be a similar outlook next season for Turner behind Ramsdale, likely deputizing the cup matches barring injury. Arsenal qualified for the Champions League so there won’t be Europa League games to bank on either.

BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND - MAY 06: Christian Pulisic of Chelsea who was named as a substitute during the Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and Chelsea FC at Vitality Stadium on May 06, 2023 in Bournemouth, England. (Photo by Robin Jones - AFC Bournemouth/AFC Bournemouth via Getty Images)
By Tom Bogert and Paul Tenorio
May 29, 2023

In the lead-up to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, discussions around the U.S. men’s national team centered on potential.

The squad that qualified for the World Cup was the youngest in the world, by average age. They were the second-youngest team at November’s tournament. Over the next three years, however, that narrative will shift and the team will no longer be judged on potential. Many young stars will enter their primes. A home World Cup will increase expectations.

While the 2026 World Cup feels a long way away, the reality is that this upcoming summer could have a massive influence on the growth of the young core of the USMNT. It will influence whether the reality of this team’s maturation matches the expectations.

From stars like Christian Pulisic and Tyler Adams in their mid-20s looking for the correct move as they enter their prime, to younger stalwarts like Yunus Musah and Tim Weah seeking the next step in their promising young careers, to players further down the pool like Auston Trusty and Taylor Booth trying to firm up their standing in the pool and become regular call-ups, the decisions on which clubs to play for — the countries, the styles of play, their roles within the team, whether they regularly feature in European competition — will impact each individual’s respective development.

That, in turn, will reflect on the USMNT.

It’s a summer of flux for the U.S. national team, from organizational leadership to technical staff, down through the pool’s biggest stars.

U.S. Soccer named Matt Crocker sporting director in April, the first of a crucial set of top-down decisions at the program. Crocker said last week he aims to hire a USMNT head coach by August. That person will play a huge role in the direction of the program. Another key decision came this month when FIFA approved Folarin Balogun’s switch to represent the United States after previously being with England, completed in time to debut next month at the Nations League.

With his international future sorted, Balogun can focus on charting his club future. But, as noted above, the uncertainty of where he will play next season is shared by a significant swath of the first-team pool. More than a dozen European-based U.S. players could be on the move this summer.

Where the players land won’t be entirely in their hands. How many of the players are going to be first-choice transfer options? How many others will learn their fate later in the window, as other players at their positions are bought and sold? How much will individual desire — the want to play for a Champions League contender versus the desire to be a featured star — weigh against what the market looks like for the players?

Here’s a look at the pivotal upcoming window for European-based U.S. players.

Likely to leave

Christian Pulisic

Starting with a captain, and the biggest star, Christian Pulisic looks to be on the move from Chelsea this summer.

There is one year left on his current deal and the winger played just 813 minutes in the Premier League this season, falling down the pecking order under three different managers just in 2022-23. Mauricio Pochettino will be the next Chelsea manager, maybe he has a different opinion on Pulisic’s standing in a crowded attacking group.

Figuring out a likely landing spot is murky. Finances, stature and Chelsea’s own plans cloud the outlook. Pulisic has been linked in potential swap deals for Chelsea to acquire other targets.

Newcastle, who officially qualified for the Champions League, could be a candidate for Pulisic with the right combination of European soccer, money to cover the deal and route to regular first-team minutes. Italian giants AC Milan and Napoli could make sense, but finances will be a hurdle.

There is a question, too, about what Pulisic is looking for. Does he want to go to another Champions League team where he’ll be in a fight for every minute? Does he drop down to the next tier of club, where he’ll be asked to be the man and develop in that way?

There’s a lot to be figured out at a crucial career point for the 24-year-old.

Tyler Adams

A stellar debut season in England for Tyler Adams was cut short by hamstring surgery in March, a crucial blow for Leeds United’s fight against relegation, which became inevitable on the final day of the season. The club finished 19th in the league and will spend 2023-24 in the Championship.

The expectation is Adams will depart now. But where to?

Adams’ performance and stylistic fit in the Premier League will make him an attractive option for any club outside the top six that can afford him. Will Adams prefer a potential rotation role at a top-six club or look to be a crucial starter at a club further down the table, like he was with Leeds?

Adams spent two and a half seasons at RB Leipzig and his style fits well with the Bundesliga, but German clubs will find it difficult to compete with Premier League clubs’ offers both in terms of transfer fee and contract.

Yunus Musah

After three seasons as a key player in Valencia’s midfield, Yunus Musah is likely to depart for a new challenge this summer. The Premier League is a likely landing spot.

Musah, 20, has been linked with numerous Premier League clubs, including Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and more. He’s a former England youth international and was a product of Arsenal’s academy before he joined Valencia.

Valencia is in a relegation battle and is in a good spot heading into the final day of the season, but aren’t mathematically safe yet. The Athletic’s David Ornstein reported he could be available for around $22 million.

Musah has already accrued 24 caps for the USMNT and is a crucial member of the squad.

Folarin Balogun

The USMNT’s newest star already made one crucial decision ahead of the summer when FIFA officially approved his switch to represent the United States, but now Balogun needs to sort his club situation.The 21-year-old has excelled on loan in France with Reims from Arsenal this season, becoming the first American to score 20 goals in one season in a top-five league. He has scored 20 of Reims’ 44 goals, the highest percentage of any player in France. He’s tied for fourth in the Golden Boot chase.

Ornstein reported last month Balogun wants to be a first-choice striker wherever he plays next season, which is unlikely at Arsenal with Gabriel Jesus and others in place. He also reported Balogun doesn’t want to go on loan again, with a permanent transfer the preference. AC Milan, Inter Milan, RB Leipzig, Marseille and Monaco are clubs expected to pursue Balogun.

Weston McKennie

Weston McKennie’s time at Leeds did not go well, with the fans chanting “you fat b—rd” at the American as he subbed out on the final day of the season.

McKennie will return to Juventus from his failed loan to Leeds. Will he make another move to England?

Brighton and Hove Albion is the latest club to be linked for a move this summer, while Bournemouth and Aston Villa were reportedly interested in the midfielder in January before he went to Leeds. The 24-year-old made 41 appearances this season between Juventus and Leeds.

GettyImages-1258251077-1024x683.jpg

Photo courtesy of Robbie Jay Barratt, AMA/Getty Images.

Sergiño Dest

Dest’s move to Barcelona from Ajax has been far from a dream. And his loan to AC Milan turned into a nightmare. This summer, his next transfer, be it permanent or on loan, is at an inflection point for his young career.

Dest, 22, has made only two Serie A starts this season with Milan and hasn’t appeared in a league game since January 24. He hasn’t even made the bench since March 4. Milan won’t trigger his purchase option and Dest will return to Barcelona this summer before likely making a new move.

Dest has been linked with a loan move to Union Berlin, where he could join fellow USMNT teammate Jordan Pefok, but one source, who’s involved in discussions regarding Dest’s future and granted anonymity to speak freely, told The Athletic that report isn’t true. Considering the stature of Dest’s clubs so far, the hope will be that he is back in the Champions League next season, but more importantly, he needs to find a club where he will get regular minutes again.

Tim Weah

Weah was a regular for Lille this season, but the attacker spent most of his minutes at either right or left fullback. For the USMNT, he thrives as a direct winger in a 4-3-3.

The 23-year-old could leave Lille this summer. Clubs from each of the top five leagues are interested, while a source involved in discussions regarding Weah’s future confirmed to The Athletic that Marseille is indeed among the clubs pursuing him.

Weah joined Lille from PSG in 2019 and won a league title with the club in 2020-21. Lille currently sits fifth with two matches remaining in the Ligue 1 season. Weah scored the opening goal for the U.S. at the World Cup and is a leader and glue guy in the locker room. The hope will be that he gets back into a squad where he’ll play regularly at the winger spot he plays on the international stage.

Brenden Aaronson

Like Adams, it’s expected Brenden Aaronson will be on the move this summer following Leeds’ relegation.

The Athletic reported that Aaronson does indeed have a relegation release clause in his contract and that sources are expecting it to be triggered. He should have options to remain in the top flight.

Aaronson, signed last summer for $30 million from RB Salzburg in a deal that was dependent on Leeds staying in the Premier League, appeared in 36 of the club’s 38 league games this season but hasn’t started in more than a month.

The 22-year-old broke through at the Philadelphia Union before transferring to RB Salzburg, where he stayed for a year and a half ahead of Leeds. The hard-working attacker has 29 caps with the USMNT.

Ricardo Pepi

Pepi is pushing to leave Augsburg this summer, a sentiment that has been conveyed to the German club in no uncertain terms, and it’s already gotten messy.

Pepi, his agent and Augsburg have all put out differing quotes on his future. Pepi was quoted by Fabrizio Romano saying there was “no chance” he’d stay at Augsburg after the club said they were counting on him for next season. Pepi’s agent was quoted by Dutch media saying the club should answer Pepi’s text before speaking about him publicly. Augsburg have made it clear they don’t feel they need to sell him.

PSV and Feyenoord are among the clubs interested in Pepi, but nailing down a price point will be difficult. Augsburg paid a club-record fee of around $18 million upfront plus $2 million incentives to sign the forward from Dallas 18 months ago and he’s under contract until the summer of 2026 with a club option for another year, so Augsburg has leverage.

Pepi, 20, has 12 goals on loan with FC Groningen in the Dutch top flight, though the club has been relegated to the second tier for next season.

Zack Steffen

Steffen plans to leave Manchester City this summer, perhaps on a permanent deal but another loan can’t be ruled out.

“I don’t think I’ll go back,” Steffen told Jonathan Tannenwald of the Philadelphia Inquirer in March. “No, I want to be playing. Although I had a great time at City and I love those guys, and obviously an amazing club, I don’t really have any plans to go back.”

Steffen, 28, spent this season on loan with Middlesbrough in the Championship. They failed to win promotion, losing in the Championship playoffs, and announced Steffen as one of the players who would be departing this summer. Steffen was acquired by Manchester City for around $7.5 million upfront (with add-ons to take the fee up to $10 million) in January 2019.

Options for loan or permanent deals elsewhere in England as well as Germany, where he spent 2019-20 on loan with Dusseldorf, are likely.

Ethan Horvath

The Nottingham Forest goalkeeper spent the season on loan at Luton Town and was a significant part of their promotion to the Premier League. Horvath started 44 games for Luton this season, with a rate of 0.84 goals against per 90 minutes. His post-shot expected goals rate was slightly under what was expected, but Horvath was mostly steady in net and, for the second straight season, was involved in the promotion of a team from the Championship to the Premier League.

Luton has the option to make the loan permanent. Considering his role this season, it would not be surprising if they triggered that option this summer.

Malik Tillman

On loan at Rangers from Bayern Munich, Malik Tillman has had a breakout season in Scotland. The original deal includes a purchase option: Will Rangers pick it up?

Tillman, turning 21 next week, has 11 goals and four assists in 43 appearances across all competitions for the Scottish giants this season. He made seven appearances for Bayern last season as he looked to break into the first team. Tillman will no doubt have a big say as to whether he remains in Scotland or seeks another move.

Bryan Reynolds

Reynolds is overwhelmingly expected to leave AS Roma this summer, with numerous clubs hopeful to take on the 21-year-old fullback.

The Athleticreported last week that West Ham is pursuing Reynolds, while Westerlo has already had an initial bid rejected. Part of West Ham’s plan would be to loan Reynolds to Sparta Prague next season for consistent playing time, a source with knowledge of the discussions told The Athletic.

Clubs in Belgium, the Netherlands and England are interested. With Reynolds’ familiarity and form in Belgium — currently on loan at Westerlo and spent half a season at Kortrijk — staying in Belgium or heading to the neighboring Netherlands seems likely.

Reynolds played just one Serie A minute under Jose Mourinho after being signed by Roma from FC Dallas in January 2021.

Auston Trusty

Trusty’s first season in England was a strong one; he was named Birmingham City’s Supporters’ Player of the Year while on loan from Arsenal.

It is unlikely Trusty breaks into Arsenal’s first-team squad, of course, and so he is expected to be on the move again. The 24-year-old has been linked with Rangers, and after his success with Birmingham, he’s likely to have interest elsewhere in the Championship.

Trusty started 44 of Birmingham’s Championship matches, a constant presence on the club’s backline. He chipped in with four goals as well.

Taylor Booth

Booth parlayed his career season with Utrecht into his USMNT debut in March.

The versatile midfielder, turning 22 next week, has two goals and four assists in 24 Eredivisie appearances over his debut season in the Netherlands after leaving Bayern Munich. Performances for a club like this often catch the attention of bigger clubs in the league as well as elsewhere in Europe.

Utrecht will want to cash in on Booth, and where they set the price is critical.

Probably staying

This portion isn’t exhaustive. For instance, it’s obvious Tim Ream will remain with Fulham, Joe Scally with Borussia Monchengladbach and Daryl Dike with West Brom, to name a few.

Gio Reyna

Borussia Dortmund were left heartbroken on the final day of the season, failing to nail down their first Bundesliga title in more than a decade thanks to a home draw to Mainz. While Gio Reyna hasn’t been a regular starter, he was a contributor to the title push with seven goals and two assists in 610 minutes.

Reyna is still only 20 years old and should have an improved outlook for playing time next season as he continues to develop and, hopefully, have better injury luck.

Any potential transfer would have to be for huge money, Reyna is regarded as one of the most talented U-21 players in the world. Dortmund has a history of developing and selling players for big money, like when Chelsea signed Pulisic from Dortmund for north of $70 million in 2019. Considering the drama that surrounded Reyna after the World Cup, however, this summer may not be the best time to try to maximize that value, and Reyna’s role off the bench in the back half of the season doesn’t set up well for that, either.

GettyImages-1493840145-1024x682.jpg

Photo courtesy of Alex Grimm, Getty Images.

Josh Sargent

It wasn’t a season to remember for Norwich City, but it was an important one for Sargent.

Sargent, 23, easily set career bests in goals (13) and league minutes (3,158). He didn’t exclusively play center forward but spent more time there than he has for a couple of years, key for his trajectory and development. Teemu Pukki is leaving the club this summer, giving Sargent even more opportunity to play center forward next year.

He is happy at Norwich and isn’t likely to leave this summer, despite interest in Germany. Norwich spent around $11 million to sign him and gave him a contract through 2025. He wouldn’t be available for cheap and Bundesliga clubs would struggle to match his salary.

Norwich was thought among the better Championship teams following their relegation from the Premier League but finished 13th. They’ll push again for promotion next season.

Matt Turner

While Turner (and any other goalkeeper) would prefer to be the first choice, a move from Arsenal this summer is unlikely.

Turner, 28, only joined Arsenal at the beginning of this season from the New England Revolution. He made seven appearances for Arsenal, five in the Europa League and two in the FA Cup, as he still awaits his Premier League debut behind No. 1 Aaron Ramsdale.

It will be a similar outlook next season for Turner behind Ramsdale, likely deputizing the cup matches barring injury. Arsenal qualified for the Champions League so there won’t be Europa League games to bank on either.

• Hook 'Em 1

from Athletic:

Callaghan joined U.S. Soccer in 2019 from the Philadelphia Union and initially served as the strategy analyst before being promoted to assistant coach. He was part of the staff that won the 2021 Nations League and Gold Cup and reached the Round of 16 in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

as far as i can tell he has *NEVER* been a head coach and doesn't even have a wikipedia page. no announcement of who his staff is going to be for either Nations League or Gold Cup.

NEVER BEEN A HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!

WaPo says in their article Hudson "is leaving the program to accept an offer from a club abroad"

clownshow.

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

edit: from reddit:

image.png.d1b5de5a574e0d076aaecc390756a4c5.png

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

from Athletic:

as far as i can tell he has *NEVER* been a head coach and doesn't even have a wikipedia page. no announcement of who his staff is going to be for either Nations League or Gold Cup.

Seems pretty obvious that he got the job because he was the next man up already on staff. I'm confused by the confusion here. Who is the staff going to be? Probably the exact same people who were already there with this guy moving up one spot? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Seems pretty obvious that he got the job because he was the next man up already on staff. I'm confused by the confusion here. Who is the staff going to be? Probably the exact same people who were already there with this guy moving up one spot? 

Yeah, if the original plan was to hire your full-time guy before August, and that's still the plan, I don't really give a shit who holds the gig for the next 1-2 months. Of course, I have zero confidence in that hire, and whoever it is, they will have big shoes to fill. 

image.jpeg.effda2df30767f71641d8bdabcaa71c6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

why the fuck does it take the fed 8 months to fill a position. clubs can sack a coach on a thursday and have someone big to manage a match on saturday. american soccer is so fuckin weird man

Because you want to look like you really tried before re-hiring Berhalter 

• Rage+1 2

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

from Athletic:

WaPo says in their article Hudson "is leaving the program to accept an offer from a club abroad"

clownshow.

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

edit: from reddit:

image.png.d1b5de5a574e0d076aaecc390756a4c5.png

As a fan of a true clownshow, I am insulted you even think this USMNT situation is that close to one.

Hudson took a job elsewhere, he was clearly told he wasn't in the running for the gig, he did what was best for him.

Frankly, given the timetable they have outlined, I see no cause for alarm. From what I can tell a lot of federations take a while to hire their coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

he isn't the next man up, he's the last man standing literally.

he's the least qualified USMNT coach since John Kowalski in 1991. actually, i think he's the least qualified USMNT coach since the mid 70s.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

As a fan of a true clownshow, I am insulted you even think this USMNT situation is that close to one.

Hudson took a job elsewhere, he was clearly told he wasn't in the running for the gig, he did what was best for him.

Frankly, given the timetable they have outlined, I see no cause for alarm. From what I can tell a lot of federations take a while to hire their coaches.

i don't blame Hudson at ALL for leaving. no issue there.

my issue is with the USSF blowing the opportunity to make positive news early in the cycle in bothof the opportunities ahead of them and not setting themselves up for success.

if this guy does great, and they don't hire him then it's a problem for them. if he does terrible, they look terrible. it's a no-win situation to have a guy who has *NEVER* been a senior team head coach at any level and is suddenly thrown into a situation where he is leading the ship in the Nations League and Gold Cup. it's a waste in every way.

edit: now it's coming out that his contract was set to end 8/1 and he wasn't going to be considered for the full time job so why would he stay if he had literally any other option. good for him. hope he is going to get paid.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1