USMNT 2023

ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Cowell looks like the best player on the pitch. 

Agree Zendejas is intriguing. 

Who in the fuck is this #14 guy Soñora? It says he hasn't played club soccer since 2020.

@RamjetFDO 80 MLS apps at 19 isn't insignificant. 

Alan Soñora is the son of former Dallas Burn player Diego Soñora.

Alan and his older brother Joel were born in the US while his dad played for a few different teams. 

Joel was on a U-20 World Cup roster for the US in 2017 (I think).

Alan has most recently worn the #10 kit for (Club Atletico) Independiente, one of the Big 5 clubs in Argentina.

He’s out of contract and is likely to use these two matches as an audition for MLS clubs. 

Re: Cade Cowell

He looks dangerous. He will be on the Olympic squad, but he looks so much better than when I saw him a couple of years ago.

EDIT: Didn’t realize that he is only 19. 
He could be on our U-20 World Cup squad this year.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

And a Leeds contract

He's a good little player but this is not a particularly competitive match. Probably a good step below what he's used to in MLS. 

But I agree he should 100% make the Olympic team. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Alan Soñora is the son of former Dallas Burn player Diego Soñora.

Alan and his older brother Joel were born in the US while his dad played for a few different teams. 

Joel was on a U-20 World Cup roster for the US in 2017 (I think).

Alan has most recently worn the #10 kit for (Club Atletico) Independiente, one of the Big 5 clubs in Argentina.

He’s out of contract and is likely to use these two matches as an audition for MLS clubs. 

Yeah bless his heart but he needs to never get another cap. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I watched him a bit in Chicago, he’s pretty reckless like that. Feast or famine type player. He needs LOOOOTS of seasoning in london

Spazzy was the word I used earlier. Jumpy would be a more PC term. 

It's okay - you aren't supposed to be worth a shit as a keeper at that age. You can tell he has the tools. Glad he's getting minutes. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Spazzy was the word I used earlier. Jumpy would be a more PC term. 

It's okay - you aren't supposed to be worth a shit as a keeper at that age. You can tell he has the tools. Glad he's getting minutes. 

18 years old and 42 starts already for Chicago. Give him a half decent team and a couple of years and those nerves will all be gone. 

Some of these guys Wikipedia pages are out of date or incorrect. Williamson's page said he hadn't played since 2020 - he obviously has. Same with Soñora - he's a free agent but he did play last season. 

Which makes more sense. I couldn't for the life of me understand why we'd call up a guy that hasn't played professional soccer in 2 years. 

I like Eryk Williamson and think that he should have been on our World Cup roster, but Gregg’s “system” seemed to confuse him. That said…

Not to be critical, but… (here comes the prt that should be left unsaid)…

I feel that if you looked up “nappy” in the USMNT Dictionary, you just may find a photograph of “late game Eryk Williamson” next to it.

image.gif.84ad9e6105b6a036224339b19343e7d4.gif

PS- It’s good to see Magic Spray make an appearance for the C team matchup. C team players need practice calling for Magic Spray too.

Edited by Napoleon

1 minute ago, Bottlecap said:

It’s refreshing to have a winger who doesn’t dribble it to the corner and have a lame cross to 6 center backs. We need him.

I mean he's never playing over our established starters but he'd be a nice depth acquisition. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean he's never playing over our established starters but he'd be a nice depth acquisition. 

Yeah I mean all of my rah rah comments are based on the need for depth. We have several competitions coming up that our A1 squad couldn’t even physically be a part of not to mention desire.  We need a gold cup, nations league, and copa squad. Plus I don’t want to play against zendejas vs Mexico bc he would be a first team player

• Hook 'Em 1

Zendejas, Cowell and Vasquez have potential. Slonina has promise but at the end of the day is an 18 year old keeper.

Everything else was forgettable or irrelevant to our future plans. 

I refuse to listen to that limey bastard give interviews as our manager for any longer than I have to. Hire someone good. 

1 minute ago, Bottlecap said:

Yeah I mean all of my rah rah comments are based on the need for depth. We have several competitions coming up that our A1 squad couldn’t even physically be a part of not to mention desire.  We need a gold cup, nations league, and copa squad. Plus I don’t want to play against zendejas vs Mexico bc he would be a first team player

Gotcha - I kind of assumed that but a couple of your comments weren't super clear.

Most of these guys have no shot at ever starting a WC or Copa match but you know that. 

Granted, you can never totally write off 19 and 20 year olds. I'm just not seeing it for some of these guys. 

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Zendejas, Cowell and Vasquez have potential. Slonina has promise but at the end of the day is an 18 year old keeper.

Everything else was forgettable or irrelevant to our future plans. 

I refuse to listen to that limey bastard give interviews as our manager for any longer than I have to. Hire someone good. 

All eligible for Mexico... still.

Same for Jonathan Gomez. Those are the 4 players that I would want to keep out of who played tonight. 

It looked like Gomez has grown 1 to 3 inches. He no longer looks like someone's little brother who came in to even out numbers. He's still slight and will get little brothered a lot, but he's got skill and knows how to play the position... unlike some of his fellow defensemen.

DaJuan Jones initially looked like crap, but then really shined on the attack. He's got potential.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

All eligible for Mexico... still.

Same for Jonathan Gomez. Those are the 4 players that I would want to keep out of who played tonight. 

It looked like Gomez has grown 1 to 3 inches. He no longer looks like someone's little brother who came in to even out numbers. He's still slight and will get little brothered a lot, but he's got skill and knows how to play the position... unlike some of his fellow defensemen.

DaJuan Jones initially looked like crap, but then really shined on the attack. He's got potential.

I want to see more from Gomez. I thought he was passable. He also needs to find his way to a better team. Spanish 3rd tier is a wasteland as far as our 1st team is concerned. 

Agree on Jones. He had a couple plays late that made me raise my eyebrows. 

Cowell is never playing for Mexico. I'm not remotely worried about that. 

Three caps ties you, correct? So Vasquez and Zendejas need 2 more. We'll see what happens there. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I want to see more from Gomez. I thought he was passable. He also needs to find his way to a better team. Spanish 3rd tier is a wasteland as far as our 1st team is concerned. 

If Gomez shows something he'll play in La Liga with Real Sociedad. He's made their bench twice. He's 19. He can be patient.

• Hook 'Em 3

The last 4 points in the tiebreaker were lost by the server. 

The women are so mentally weak, it’s amazing. And these are the ones mentally superior to make it to the semifinal. 

Rybakina is the Nuke La Loosh of women’s tennis.

Million dollar arm with a ten cent head. (Same could be said for Sabalenka.)

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

If Gomez shows something he'll play in La Liga with Real Sociedad. He's made their bench twice. He's 19. He can be patient.

I get how that works. I just don't think it's good for his development to be in the 3rd tier of any league, really. Certainly not outside of England. I'm not sure how they got their B team relegated as their 1st team is having a great season. 

I mean - mainly I wish we had more legitimate depth along the back line to not even be concerned with someone like him and have it be a bonus if he does pan out. As it stands now, we really need a couple of these guys at least to be decent options come 2026. 

These camps are what they are, but definitely would like to see Cowell, Zendejas, and Vasquez in for the next camp. I really wasn't impressed with anyone on defense except for a few spells from Dejuan Jones. 

An aside, it's maddening to see so may empty seats, but then you look at the prices to come out and watch a B/C team and it makes sense. Why not just make the most expensive seats $100-150 instead of $700? For example, if I was local and wanted to take my son to the game, is it really worth it to drop $400 on something like this? 

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I’m not sure if you watched our set pieces during the World Cup, but Gio could have played every minute of every game and he still wouldn’t have had an opportunity to score like today’s goal.

Our set pieces were atrocious!

PS- It’s two months after the World Cup, Gio hasn’t gotten injured again, and yet he still isn’t starting at Dortmund. Why is that?

i literally watched the games and thought "they really should hire a set piece coach" - then did a quick google and found out that they had one!

re: playing time - i am not saying he should have started every single game for USMNT, but i am saying he should have gotten more playing time across the board. his lack of playing time was part the issues we know that existed there pre world cup and part because of how truly bad GGG is at substitution usage.

35 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Man...biggest cycle in our history and we have nobody at the top. What a bizarre time we're in. 

in theory it clears the decks to hire a big name who can have multiple titles.

but in reality, they will probably wait to fill Earnie's position, then let that guy fill McBride's position then look to hire a coach in Q4 of 2023.

why? because nobody can fuck things up quite like the USSF

edit: i posted this before seeing this quote:

the last day of summer is 9/23/23. she also said GGG is still a candidate (why are they propping him up? if they were going to keep him they would have just...you know...kept him before his contract expired.

'

Edited by NoName
  • Rage+1 1