USMNT 2023

ztejas

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

tabare - any time any where

adu? seriously? most over-hyped failure in us youth history

the teenage equivalent of twellman or jones

yes on navas - i'm not caught up and am gobsmacked that he's at fucking forest - was he released? sold? loaned? what the everlovingfuck

1) Tab is still probably the best tight space dribbler that I have seen in the 33 years that I have followed the USMNT.

2) Adu is probably the best right footed set piece taker that I have seen in those 33 years and he was crafty AF going forward. 

His problems were that he was 5’3”, he was a millionaire at the age of “14”, the USMNT didn’t play with a #10, he never played defense, and he could get bumped off the ball.

*Preki (left foot) is probably the best set piece taker I have seen in the 33 years I’ve followed the USMNT, though I don’t recall what Ramos could do.

3) Nottingham brought in a keeper over the summer, but he got injured recently and will be out for a while. 

Navas was brought in on loan until the end of the season. Nottingham is NOT going down with Keylor on the team.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:30 PM, Napoleon said:

2) Adu is probably the best right footed set piece taker that I have seen in those 33 years and he was crafty AF going forward. 

His problems were that he was 5’3”, he was a millionaire at the age of “14”, the USMNT didn’t play with a #10, he never played defense, and he could get bumped off the ball.

yeah, part of Adu's issue was that he was "14" and got hyped up a ton. literally the guy's listed height/weight was 5'8" and 165. for comparison, Hazard is at 5'8" and ~163 lbs.  he's also one of the best dribblers in the world, which Adu was and is not.

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, part of Adu's issue was that he was "14" and got hyped up a ton. literally the guy's listed height/weight was 5'8" and 165. for comparison, Hazard is at 5'8" and ~163 lbs.  he's also one of the best dribblers in the world, which Adu was and is not.

Freddy was 5’3”… maybe 5’4” on a good day, and about 120 lbs when in shape and 135 lbs when he wasn’t. I don’t give a shit what he was listed as. 

He toyed with Brazil at the U-20 World Cup when he was “17”… (they never tried playing him in the U-20 WC when he was “19”) and his field vision was great.

He was somewhat quick in short bursts, but he was not fast. He probably wouldn’t have been good at defending even if he had tried, which he didn’t. But he was excellent on set pieces. 

He was too small to be slow and he was too slow to be lazy and he was too lazy to stick around any teams for more than a short period of time. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Freddy was 5’3”… maybe 5’4” on a good day, and about 120 lbs when in shape and 135 lbs when he wasn’t. I don’t give a shit what he was listed as. 

He toyed with Brazil at the U-20 World Cup when he was “17”… (they never tried playing him in the I-20 WC when he was “19”) and his field vision was great.

He was somewhat quick in short bursts, but he was not fast. He probably wouldn’t have been good at defending even if he had tried, which he didn’t. But he was excellent on set pieces. 

He was too small to be slow and he was too slow to be lazy and he was too lazy to stick around any teams for more than a short period of time. 

no kidding on the lack of sticking around

image.png.b328b29c796cd6cfd3e58ee912f3dd59.png

3 years, 1 year, 4 years (0 years with the big club), 3 years, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year, 2 years, 1 year, 1 year.

his *CAREER* high in goals was 8 in 2012 then 5 in 2004. never had more than 4 in any other year.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

He was still playing in 2021?

“2021 0 games played (0 goals)”

I would say “No”.

I did read something pre-COVID where he was starting to coach youngsters, I believe. Don’t recall the specifics. Maybe it was just a quote of what he would tell youngsters.

He could have been working on getting coaching badges in Europe and he suited up as a Player/Coach for a low-level team, but never had to go in. All just a guess.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

He was still playing in 2021?

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

“2021 0 games played (0 goals)”

I would say “No”.

I did read something pre-COVID where he was starting to coach youngsters, I believe. Don’t recall the specifics. Maybe it was just a quote of what he would tell youngsters.

He could have been working on getting coaching badges in Europe and he suited up as a Player/Coach for a low-level team, but never had to go in. All just a guess.

he was working as a youth coach evidently?

the team had just been promoted from the fourth tier of Swedish football to the third and Adu got his contract terminated as part of a power struggle (or he was really not good, or both)

the quote bolded below is just a killer.

On October 14, 2020, after a two-year hiatus during which Adu worked as a youth football coach in Maryland,[63][64] it was announced that Adu had joined Österlen FF, recently promoted to the third tier of Swedish football.[65] After signing with the club, Adu expressed his excitement to play professional soccer again, noting that he "skipped a lot of steps in the past but now he gets a chance to do it right."[66] On February 16, 2021, after only a month in Sweden, it was announced that Adu's contract had been terminated by the Österlen FF administration after the club deemed Adu not being physically or mentally fit enough to be competitive in Ettan.[67] Adu claimed that internal conflict within the club was the reason for his exit. “There is some kind of power struggle going on in the club,” Adu told Swedish outlet Sportbladet in a written statement.[68] "The coach (Agim Sopi) says that I was released without his approval, which he does not like. I have been in a similar situation before and it never ends happily. It is better to deal with it immediately."[69] However, Österlen manager Agim Sopi told Swedish outlet Fotbollskanalen, "He has said that he wants to resume his career and then I think you want to show yourself from your best side, but he was totally untrained when he came here. His physical status was zero." "We gave him a chance a month or so to see,” Sopi commented on Adu's stint at the club. “But when you are away for so long. He has barely trained with us. He has had defects all along and I do not see that he has the mental strength required to recover."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I wonder how much they can get for him? 30m?

40 or 45. He's a better player than McKennie and the same age - and one of the biggest names in the world.

The injury history is obviously a concern but McKennie has had some injury issues as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I think all the injuries probably lower is value at least 20%

I'm factoring in his injury history. If he was less injury prone and had strung more stretches of good form together he'd be one of the best players in the PL and worth 80M. 

I mean maybe Chelsea gets lowballed because teams know they're desperate to offload a lot of these guys but there's definitely going to be a Pulisic tax.

Some of it could depend on his form when he returns from injury. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's fucking awesome. Dude fucked around trying to give it back to them and he found out. 

I mean I understand the sportsmanship angle but that's a live ball that he wasn't decisive with after receiving the throw in. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah he's got his head down and takes a gardes-like first touch.  If you're trying to give the ball back, don't be so shitty at it.

FAFO

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Malik Tillman goal to watch!

1) Malik is obviously sooo German to not understand the human & sportsmanship side of that play. 

Perhaps the Aspergers gene is naturally in the Germanic makeup and that’s why German society is semi-robotic.

2) I don’t think that as a group it is kosher to just attack a single player. Never seen that not go widely punished. 

3) If you bet the UNDER and the O/U was 3.5, then you are fucking furious!!

#BadBeat

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Arsenal legend counseling (possible) Arsenal legend?

Also, read somewhere that Arsenal was considering going after Lautaro Martinez (ARG @ Inter).

I guess that as long as they don’t play any matches in Qatar, then Lautaro could maybe get on the score sheet, but…

Can they sell Folarin for more than they would have to pay for Lautaro?

This sounds like a strange rumor for Arsenal. 

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Arsenal legend counseling (possible) Arsenal legend?

Also, read somewhere that Arsenal was considering going after Lautaro Martinez (ARG @ Inter).

I guess that as long as they don’t play any matches in Qatar, then Lautaro could maybe get on the score sheet, but…

Can they sell Folarin for more than they would have to pay for Lautaro?

This sounds like a strange rumor for Arsenal. 

Henry also said he'd be interested in the USMNT job.  I could probably jive with that.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Henry also said he'd be interested in the USMNT job.  I could probably jive with that.  

Thierry Henry has a solid reputation as a poor manager at the club level and extensive experience as an assistant for an underachieving national team manager.

He embodies what US Soccer is looking for. 

BUT…

If he promises to bring his former Les Bleus teammate as an assistant coach in the summer of 2024 & 2026, I will be more than happy to welcome him back to the USA 🇺🇸!

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We have youngsters scoring and competing at the highest levels in Europe.  More and more coming up the ranks, and we're in fucking Wonderland trying to find a non-regard/slug for a manager.  USSF is more inept than Congress.  

It would be regarded for us to name a manager before the summer. You want to try to get a good coach, not just someone who is currently unemployed.

If we were to panic and hire Jesse Marsch before even hiring a sporting director, I would be livid. 

I don’t give a shit about the Gold Cup, so I couldn’t care less if we send the current assistant as a head coach or our U-20 coach or what. 

Just get someone by late July and I’ll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1