USMNT 2023

ztejas

5 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Speaking of playing out of position as a makeshift fullback.....

Weah has been starting a lot for Lille as of late. But not as wing or striker.... As a fullback, per the ESPN and Google lineups. 

Is that for real or does ESPN and Google have it mixed up?

Welcome to last month!

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Winger to FB isn't always a huge stretch. Are they having depth issues back there?

Probably both. 

He continues to start, so he must be doing something right. 

The thing is that he’s usually been playing LEFT Back, not right back, so it’s not just a natural evolution. There must be a fairly glaring need, but he’s fast. If you’re fast and care, you can play defense. 

21 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Welcome to last month!

Probably both. 

He continues to start, so he must be doing something right. 

The thing is that he’s usually been playing LEFT Back, not right back, so it’s not just a natural evolution. There must be a fairly glaring need, but he’s fast. If you’re fast and care, you can play defense. 

The “Jon Gallagher” sounds like. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

confirming the achilles injury for Dike

Spoiler

USMNT striker Daryl Dike set for Achilles surgery, out for six to nine months

STOKE ON TRENT, ENGLAND - APRIL 15: Daryl Dike of West Bromwich Albion injured during the Sky Bet Championship between Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion at Bet365 Stadium on April 15, 2023 in Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom. (Photo by Adam Fradgley/West Bromwich Albion FC via Getty Images)
By Ali Rampling
Apr 18, 2023

USMNT striker Daryl Dike is set to be sidelined for six to nine months after rupturing his right Achilles during West Bromwich Albion’s victory over Stoke City on Saturday.

Dike was taken off the field on a stretcher just before half time in his side’s 2-1 victory after landing awkwardly.

A scan has revealed that the 22-year-old will have to undergo surgery to repair the injury. He will then undergo rehabilitation with the help of West Brom’s medical and sports science team with the aim of returning to fitness later this year.

“Words cannot be made to describe how I feel right now,” Dike wrote on social media. “Beyond gutted for this injury as it feels like nothing I do can seem to go my way at the moment.

“It is easy to feel sorry for yourself and ask “why me,” but unfortunately injuries are part of my sport. Thankfully, I am given strength by God and the support from family, friends, and fans who continue to push me everyday.

“In life things will happen that are beyond your control despite your best efforts, that you cannot go back and change, but need to accept and choose how to react. Now is my time to bounce back and give myself a positive reaction. Thank you all for everything.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Daryl Dike (@daryld09)

Dike missed the World Cup in Qatar after an injury-plagued 2022, but was recalled to the US squad last month for the first time since 2021.

He came off the bench in a 7-1 CONCACAF Nations League win over Grenada last month, before starting a subsequent 1-0 victory over El Salvador.

Dike joined West Brom from Barnsley in January 2022, having moved to England after starring at Orlando City.

He has scored seven goals in 23 Championship appearances this season.

1 minute ago, Bottlecap said:

Aaron Long lol

It was all Acosta with a shitty pass hanging Long out to dry. Then Acosta comes back to make a shitty pass soon after. 

This looks like a game where Acosta is telling US Soccer-

“You really need to replace me soon.”

35 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Mexico fucked around and found out.

Goalie ate grass.

Goalie looked like a cheeseball actor who has been trying to land a martial arts part set in the 1980s, but his agent got him the role of GK at the last minute and he only had packed his martial arts duffle for the audition in LA and flew out to Phoenix with the assurances that wardrobe would have a costume that would fit him. 

I’m watching the postgame interview shot now and little DeMarcus Beasley is looking down at “5’9” Jesús Ferreira.

Beasley is about 5’6” to 5’6.5”, so I think that Jesús is 5’5” at most. I didn’t realize that he was that short. Holy crap!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Goalie looked like a cheeseball actor who has been trying to land a martial arts part set in the 1980s, but his agent got him the role of GK at the last minute and he only had packed his martial arts duffle for the audition in LA and flew out to Phoenix with the assurances that wardrobe would have a costume that would fit him. 

I don't watch Liga MX so this was my first time seeing that goalie and my first thought was the following:

IlliterateBouncyJabiru-size_restricted.g

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Haha 1

I watch Liga MX games, and Mexico's goalie has a pretty cool story.  I don't speak Spanish perfectly, but I got enough from the story to know that he had some very unique start to his professional career.  IIRC, he showed up after the age of 20 w/o any type of prior, soccer resume.  I think they let him play (4th string) for free or something.  Then, all 3 goalies in front of him got injured.  He did so well as a replacement, he never looked back.  Now, I could be confusing his story with another.  I just had a mental note to like this guy (despite his Loki looks) based on his humble beginnings.

Augsburg is not going to get $16M for Pepi.
I hope that he goes to PSV and gets European football. I would rather he be on a good team in a lesser league than being on a shit team in the EPL or Bundesliga.

Feyenoord’s record for spending is $7.4. As much as I would love for Pepi to spend a year or two with van Persie I can’t see it happening. Would a Champions League spot be enough for them to spend that much?

PSV’s record is $15M and that isn’t happening without Champions League money as they sit 3rd right now. The Dutch don’t work this way unless they can get Pepi at a discount.

Holding out hope for Ajax or Brighton.

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Augsburg is not going to get $16M for Pepi.

I hope that he goes to PSV and gets European football. I would rather he be on a good team in a lesser league than being on a shit team in the EPL or Bundesliga.

the best 2nd stop in europe is always nederland or portugal

far better than midtable big5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Feyenoord’s record for spending is $7.4. As much as I would love for Pepi to spend a year or two with van Persie I can’t see it happening. Would a Champions League spot be enough for them to spend that much?

PSV’s record is $15M and that isn’t happening without Champions League money as they sit 3rd right now. The Dutch don’t work this way unless they can get Pepi at a discount.

Holding out hope for Ajax or Brighton.

i can absolutely see feyenoord breaking their spending record

while not well known outside of europe, feyenoord are the 3rd massive side in nederland

massive support in a large (for europe) stadium (47k) in holland's 2nd city

the first dutch winners of europe

great city and club to get ready for '26

trusty report

bham conceeded late 0-1 helping blackpool stay alive

he went the full 90 again at left back

bhamlive:

Auston Trusty 6.5

The American slotted back in at left-back on his return to the team and defended soundly. Each time Bowler tried to attack down Blackpool’s right, Trusty picked him off with ease.

lancslive:

Josh Bowler – 6

Wanted to get Pool up the pitch at all times. Always an outlet.

0_JS297476076.jpg

18 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

No idea what to make of this guy other than the fact I’m glad one domino has fallen and we are a step closer to naming a coach. 

Welsh guy to make the American-English bilingual (English/Spanish) interim head coach the official guy…

Vamos a ver.