USMNT 2023

ztejas

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wonder if his recent injury will bring the price down. 

Transfrmkt has him at ~$20M. That seems way low - I'd assume he goes for close to 50. 

No Serie A club is paying $50M (or Euro equivalent) for a defensive midfielder from the USA.

They don’t have da’ monies.

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

No Serie A club is paying $50M (or Euro equivalent) for a defensive midfielder from the USA.

I don't think the purchasing club is going to be the one naming the price. He's under contract for 4 more seasons at Leeds.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't think the purchasing club is going to be the one naming the price. He's under contract for 4 more seasons at Leeds.

No Serie A club is paying $50M (or Euro equivalent) for a defensive midfielder from the USA.

On 4/30/2023 at 4:06 PM, Ted Lange said:

He would be playing Nations League, not gold cup.  GC is gonna be a b team. 

Welp. Anthony Hudson has now said that’s not the case, we will be taking the A-ish team to both competitions to get our guys more time together 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Welp. Anthony Hudson has now said that’s not the case, we will be taking the A-ish team to both competitions to get our guys more time together 

I was going to say “Bad move, this has been an exceptionally taxing seasons due to the schedule being compacted on both sides of the World Cup.”…

Then I remembered that most of our players haven’t been playing the last couple of months, so that fine. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Boy, wouldn’t that be great to have Christian in the USA for the next 3 years in the lead up to the 2026 World Cup?

Lalas is such a beatdown to listen to and read. I love Donovan and all he did, but Pulisic is nothing like him and that's for the best. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Boy, wouldn’t that be great to have Christian in the USA for the next 3 years in the lead up to the 2026 World Cup?

it would be unprecedented for a player of his age and talent to come to MLS.

the team would have to dump Chicharito anyway, which idk if they want to do or if he wants to leave. not sure if MLS teams can change their DPs at this stage anyway? they already have 3 (Costa, Chichirato, Puig) - and this isn't how it was back in the day where MLS just ignored rules, it's a real league now.

...but big picture, if CP wanted to play in MLS, wouldn't he have started there instead of moving to Germany at 15? lol

14 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Where is Musah next year if Valencia get relegated?  That would be pretty stunning if it happens, but they are only safe by GD right now.  

I just want all of these guys to get PT even if it is middle table next year.  

538's prediction has them at 29% to get relegated

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/la-liga/

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes... a fossil league with 2 teams in the UCL semifinal.

It never ceases to amaze me how little the average NT fan knows about the sport. 

I think the bigger thing is that these guys are all MLS honks, and think it's a far better league than it is. But again, I watch those National League games and I can't help but think that product in some way is a better than the MLS.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I think the bigger thing is that these guys are all MLS honks, and think it's a far better league than it is. But again, I watch those National League games and I can't help but think that product in some way is a better than the MLS.

MLS is a much better league than the national league. Most teams would fall between the worst EFL1 teams and the middle of the pack to bad Championship teams. LAFC, for example, is a seriously legit club compared to anything outside the best 60 or 70 clubs across Europe that could likely finish outside relegation from the championship. 

But Pulisic would still be by far the best player in MLS. I mean imagine Pulisic playing for a bad Championship side... It would be a joke for him and a total waste of time. 

20 hours ago, ztejas said:

MLS is a much better league than the national league. Most teams would fall between the worst EFL1 teams and the middle of the pack to bad Championship teams. LAFC, for example, is a seriously legit club compared to anything outside the best 60 or 70 clubs across Europe that could likely finish outside relegation from the championship. 

But Pulisic would still be by far the best player in MLS. I mean imagine Pulisic playing for a bad Championship side... It would be a joke for him and a total waste of time. 

BTW - I don't disagree that the MLS is better than the National League in terms of talent. What I was specifically talking about was that if you watch MLS games and compare it against some of the top games in the National League - the games are better. More of just the eye test.

Otherwise, I fully agree with everything you noted.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW - I don't disagree that the MLS is better than the National League in terms of talent. What I was specifically talking about was that if you watch MLS games and compare it against some of the top games in the National League - the games are better. More of just the eye test.

What you don't see on TV is the speed of the game.

For example, it's hard to tell the difference between a college football game and an NFL game on TV but in person it's pretty dramatic. Same goes for just about any other sport. 

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I have not been following either Tillman or CCV much but this feels like pretty serious recognition. Curious to see where Tillman lands next year - surely Bayern won't bring him back to the senior team just yet so likely another loan spell somewhere?

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I don’t disagree. MLS is a wonky playstyle and a lot of the matches are rough to watch. That said, I've watched some great MLS matches.  There is some serious attacking talent on almost every team but not more than 12 or 15 CBs league-wide worth a shit - but there are also some quality keepers. It's physical, pacey and flashy. It can get sloppy at times but you get a bunch of golazos. I know in the past I've called it the WWE of soccer. 

good news? Timothy Tillman filled his one time switch

Spoiler

LAFC’s Timothy Tillman filed a one-time FIFA switch from Germany to USMNT

Mar 12, 2023; Los Angeles, California, USA; Los Angeles FC midfielder Timothy Tillman (11) controls the ball during the second half against the New England Revolution at BMO Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports
By Jeff Rueter and The Athletic Staff
58m ago

LAFC midfielder Timothy Tillman filed for a one-time switch with FIFA from Germany to the US men’s national team. Here’s what you need to know:

• Tillman, 24, was born in Germany to an American father. He is a German-American dual national with eligibility to represent the United States.
  • Tillman played for Germany youth national teams from the U-15 to U-19 levels.
  • In February, Tillman signed with LAFC through 2025. He’s made six starts and scored two goals this season.

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

How he got here

It may be five years later than first expected, but Tillman’s switch to potentially represent the United States is not much of a surprise. The midfielder had been on the program’s radar since early 2018, when another outlet reported that the then-Bayern academy product was expected to file his one-time switch as a 19-year-old. At the time, analysis also focused on how bringing Tillman into the fold could boost the United States’ chances of landing a commitment from his talented younger brother, Malik.

Of course, the brothers ended up making their pledges in reverse order. Malik debuted for the USMNT on June 1 in the team’s 3-0 win over Morocco. While he’s spent 2022-23 on loan with Rangers and could be in for a permanent move to a similarly statured club this summer, Timothy’s career has taken a different path. After three seasons with German club Greuther Fürth, Timothy has quickly forged a key role with defending MLS Cup champion Los Angeles FC. — Rueter

How Tillman fits in with USMNT

While it’s all well and good to make one’s international commitment, that doesn’t guarantee he’ll be capped in the future. The older Tillman is a technical player who likes to operate as the more progressive option in LAFC’s three-man midfield. Theoretically, he could serve a similar role to the one which Weston McKennie claimed in the bygone World Cup cycle. Of course, the Leeds loanee is likely to be the first-choice option in that spot until or unless a similarly capable challenger is found.

Still, all of this is still entirely prospective until U.S. Soccer appoints the next men’s national team coach. The federation hired former Southampton director of football Matt Crocker to serve as sporting director, with hiring the new coach at the top of his to-do list. Former coach Gregg Berhalter’s contract expired following the 2022 World Cup, which saw the United States fall in the round of 16 against Holland. Whoever Crocker taps will be a better indicator of how — or if — Tillman and other players on the fringe of the pool could fit into the senior team. — Rueter

9 hours ago, NoName said:

good news? Timothy Tillman filled his one time switch

Hide contents

LAFC’s Timothy Tillman filed a one-time FIFA switch from Germany to USMNT

Mar 12, 2023; Los Angeles, California, USA; Los Angeles FC midfielder Timothy Tillman (11) controls the ball during the second half against the New England Revolution at BMO Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports
By Jeff Rueter and The Athletic Staff
58m ago

LAFC midfielder Timothy Tillman filed for a one-time switch with FIFA from Germany to the US men’s national team. Here’s what you need to know:

• Tillman, 24, was born in Germany to an American father. He is a German-American dual national with eligibility to represent the United States.
  • Tillman played for Germany youth national teams from the U-15 to U-19 levels.
  • In February, Tillman signed with LAFC through 2025. He’s made six starts and scored two goals this season.

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

How he got here

It may be five years later than first expected, but Tillman’s switch to potentially represent the United States is not much of a surprise. The midfielder had been on the program’s radar since early 2018, when another outlet reported that the then-Bayern academy product was expected to file his one-time switch as a 19-year-old. At the time, analysis also focused on how bringing Tillman into the fold could boost the United States’ chances of landing a commitment from his talented younger brother, Malik.

Of course, the brothers ended up making their pledges in reverse order. Malik debuted for the USMNT on June 1 in the team’s 3-0 win over Morocco. While he’s spent 2022-23 on loan with Rangers and could be in for a permanent move to a similarly statured club this summer, Timothy’s career has taken a different path. After three seasons with German club Greuther Fürth, Timothy has quickly forged a key role with defending MLS Cup champion Los Angeles FC. — Rueter

How Tillman fits in with USMNT

While it’s all well and good to make one’s international commitment, that doesn’t guarantee he’ll be capped in the future. The older Tillman is a technical player who likes to operate as the more progressive option in LAFC’s three-man midfield. Theoretically, he could serve a similar role to the one which Weston McKennie claimed in the bygone World Cup cycle. Of course, the Leeds loanee is likely to be the first-choice option in that spot until or unless a similarly capable challenger is found.

Still, all of this is still entirely prospective until U.S. Soccer appoints the next men’s national team coach. The federation hired former Southampton director of football Matt Crocker to serve as sporting director, with hiring the new coach at the top of his to-do list. Former coach Gregg Berhalter’s contract expired following the 2022 World Cup, which saw the United States fall in the round of 16 against Holland. Whoever Crocker taps will be a better indicator of how — or if — Tillman and other players on the fringe of the pool could fit into the senior team. — Rueter

ESPN’s story on the after-thought sibling who has really played well in LA this year. 

IMG_1870.thumb.jpeg.c552f6184a81311342cb19b4dcce01cd.jpeg

IMG_1871.thumb.jpeg.4651d1ef95399700b60fa7d49aa81537.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4946294/lafc-timothy-tillman-files-switch-from-germany-to-usa-source

• Hook 'Em 1