Vandals mad about drag show open fire on North Carolina power substations

TeeDubya

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'd bet decent money he or some deputies in his department know who did it and are going to try to protect them.

What if (and hear me out, because boy howdy, it's outrageous!) it was actual deputies or other law enforcement that did this.

I mean, that's really far-fetched, because this nation's loyal sworn officers would never do somethign like this, right?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, that settles it.  She's innocent, because the Sheriff [checks notes] prayed with her.

https://www.wral.com/moore-county-authorities-investigate-social-posts-claiming-knowledge-of-moore-county-blackout/20612783

Ok, so this is DEFINITELY going to happen again somewhere in the country, and likely soon.

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's the kind of response that *Should* get the feds to start snooping around. A terrorist attack on our power grid seems like something they should be interested in. 

Involvement of LEOs, assisting terrorists either before or after the fact, also opens up both some different criminal charges and civil causes of action.

And at this point, there's plenty of reason to be looking at that sheriff's dept as being involved.  The FBI sure as shit won't "pray with her and clear her."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

A few years from now someone who was harmed by all this will end up suing the sheriff after it comes out that the sheriff was in league with the perpetrators and we'll get a 5-4 decision from Sam Alito granting QI because there's no clearly established law saying a cop can't do terrorism.

Your predicted outcome is almost certainly correct.  As I said, this is EXACTLY how fucked we are.

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

A few years from now someone who was harmed by all this will end up suing the sheriff after it comes out that the sheriff was in league with the perpetrators and we'll get a 5-4 decision from Sam Alito granting QI because there's no clearly established law saying a cop can't do terrorism.

Someone from the Christofascist right will have taken him to dinner a month before, and he will have leaked the opinion to chum the waters and basically drag his balls on the constitution while giving the nation the middle finger.  Pwnd agin libs!

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If some Muslims had shot up a power station so no one could see a performance that insulted Muhammad, that’s all Fox News would talk about for three weeks.

Hey, remember when Sharia Law was coming to America? What happened there? 

The name of it just changed to MAGA, and all of its affiliated causes.

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If some Muslims had shot up a power station so no one could see a performance that insulted Muhammad, that’s all Fox News would talk about for three weeks.

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The name of it just changed to MAGA, and all of its affiliated causes.

Bingo.

Everything these assholes are doing -- LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE THING -- plug in "Allah" whenever they say "God," and then imagine how FOX etc. would cover it.  Fuck, imagine how even ordinary and sane outfits would cover it.  Doesn't much matter if you're trying to impose a cross or a crescent, religious fascism is religious fascism.

• Rage+1 1

I’ve been to a drag bingo and drag brunch over the years in Austin, they’re a fucking riot.  I suppose I could see it being uncomfortable for someone, but no one is hitting on you and they read the room well to see if someone isn’t interested in playing along…unlike a time we stumbled into a gay bar in NO, obliviously drunk off our asses, and our wives just laughed their asses off as random dudes struck up random conversations with us.  

I know what the "I just want my kids to be happy" crowd means, but holy shit that's a ridiculously high standard.

I'm not "happy" I mean I'm happy sometimes, but not all the time. I feel pretty good about myself but not always.  I think we should focus on our kids being physically and mentally healthy, self-aware and resilient - able to tend to the needs of their bodies and their minds so they can take on the challenges that life will inevitably bring, in the hopes that at times they will feel content and when they don't feel content they can tell the difference between just being human and the need to make a change.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

One thing religious fanatics who embrace terrorism will come to realize, this imperfect, shitty world is all a non-believer has.  There is no heaven or other after life they have to look forward to.  So while that may make a non-believer loath to risk their life and a believer more flippant about their own, things change when the non-believer is made aware they are participating in an existential fight for their life.  At that point, they are literally fighting for everything they have or ever will have.  The non believer won't remain a sheep for long at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Hell, how long did they go on about the “Ground Zero mosque?” (Which was neither a mosque nor at Ground Zero.)

1 minute ago, troph said:

I know what the "I just want my kids to be happy" crowd means, but holy shit that's a ridiculously high standard.

I'm not "happy" I mean I'm happy sometimes, but not all the time. I feel pretty good about myself but not always.  I think we should focus on our kids being physically and mentally healthy, self-aware and resilient - able to tend to the needs of their bodies and their minds so they can take on the challenges that life will inevitably bring, in the hopes that at times they will feel content and when they don't feel content they can tell the difference between just being human and the need to make a change.

Well, sure.  But that's really woven into the parental message that started this conversation.  As a kid, you gotta be you, and you gotta follow what makes sense for you (if band interests you more than football, than join the band).  Doesn't mean that life will be a blissful skip down Happiness Lane, but it sure as shit improves your chances.  And having parents who show an interest in what you're doing and support you also improves your chances -- it at least helps smooth out some of the misery that life brings.

But -- and you of all people know this for sure, I know this about you -- being true to yourself, and having people who support you in that gives you a much better start than living your inauthentic life to meet someone else's expectations/demands.

A parent shouldn't care if their kid is into football or band, or academics or sport, or is gay or straight, or eats meat or decides to go vegetarian, etc. etc.  Show an interest with your kid, build connection, and let them feel safe and comfortable making their choices/living in to who they are.  It doesn't mean they'll always be happy -- nobody ever is.  But it improves the chances of them not being miserable.  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Goredho said:

One thing religious fanatics who embrace terrorism will come to realize, this imperfect, shitty world is all a non-believer has.  There is no heaven or other after life they have to look forward to.  So while that may make a non-believer loath to risk their life and a believer more flippant about their own, things change when the non-believer is made aware they are participating in an existential fight for their life.  At that point, they are literally fighting for everything they have or ever will have.  The non believer won't remain a sheep for long at that point.

I've known a few LGBTQ "believers" who are wonderful and spiritual people.  My deceased older brother was gay and though he didn't believe in organized religion, he was spiritual and did believe strongly in an afterlife.  He was spiritually gifted and inspired (and gave courage to) other LGBTQ peers.  

Edited by FartingDreamer

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That was beautiful, Farting Dreamer. 

I also have two lesbian cousins and one of my life-long friends who I grew up with in my church, is gay (ironically he graduated from UT and became a gynecologist and knows his way around a vagina more then most).  Because of the current political climate in Texas with the new abortion laws and anti-LGBTQ culture fostered here, he relocated to Colorado.    So I have a special place in my heart for LGBTQ people, especially those of faith since they are put in such a difficult position without much if any of a choice (same-sex attraction is not a choice).  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stops the music and the lights, maybe?  I don’t know.  Drag shows are a whole lot of fucking fun.

Yes, they are. (And I loved the part of this story where the drag show went on with audience members illuminating the stage with the lights from their cellphones.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So cutting the electricity is supposed to stop people from dressing drag or being gay? I don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stops the music and the lights, maybe?  I don’t know.  Drag shows are a whole lot of fucking fun.

ever used a prism? light is gay af

• Haha 6

One thing that’s interesting about this is it marks a point where the militant right have moved beyond striking symbolic and/or hardened purely political targets to striking softer targets with no political value in an attempt to disrupt everyday life for the population.

As bad as Jan 6th was, it didn’t knock out my power during a dangerous snow storm.  As bad as the Paul Pelosi attack was, no one in my family was in danger.  This should be a rubicon beyond which there is no more societal tolerance for the assholes on the far right.

Will that happen?  I dunno, but if this keeps escalating, it’s going to be hard for people to sit on the sidelines in denial as they start feeling real world impacts on their daily life from increasingly emboldened extremists.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Goredho said:

One thing that’s interesting about this is it marks a point where the militant right have moved beyond striking symbolic and/or hardened purely political targets to striking softer targets with no political value in an attempt to disrupt everyday life for the population.

As bad as Jan 6th was, it didn’t knock out my power during a dangerous snow storm.  As bad as the Paul Pelosi attack was, no one in my family was in danger.  This should be a rubicon beyond which there is no more societal tolerance for the assholes on the far right.

Will that happen?  I dunno, but if this keeps escalating, it’s going to be hard for people to sit on the sidelines in denial as they start feeling real world impacts on their daily life from increasingly emboldened extremists.

fox news/maga retort:

If drag shows are causing people to be so upset that they blow up the grid, then we should ban drag shows.

50% will nod their heads in agreement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, sure.  But that's really woven into the parental message that started this conversation.  As a kid, you gotta be you, and you gotta follow what makes sense for you (if band interests you more than football, than join the band).  Doesn't mean that life will be a blissful skip down Happiness Lane, but it sure as shit improves your chances.  And having parents who show an interest in what you're doing and support you also improves your chances -- it at least helps smooth out some of the misery that life brings.

But -- and you of all people know this for sure, I know this about you -- being true to yourself, and having people who support you in that gives you a much better start than living your inauthentic life to meet someone else's expectations/demands.

A parent shouldn't care if their kid is into football or band, or academics or sport, or is gay or straight, or eats meat or decides to go vegetarian, etc. etc.  Show an interest with your kid, build connection, and let them feel safe and comfortable making their choices/living in to who they are.  It doesn't mean they'll always be happy -- nobody ever is.  But it improves the chances of them not being miserable.  

100%, I guess I actually object to the phraseology even though everyone means well. I think happiness is a fools errand meaning either you won’t find it or if you do it will destroy you. Life is meant to be hard, easy, depressing, happy, infuriating, scary, painful, joyous all etc. etc. all of the above. We don’t find meaning in happiness we find it in all of the above. It’s more of a tangent not a disagreement. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Electric grid.  Rail.  Bridges.  Pipelines.  Water and sewer infrastructure.  ALL OF IT.  It's all on the target list now.  They've done it.  It worked.  They will do it again.

If we were talking about islamofascist terrorists, we'd already be talking "threat levels," mobilizing forces, etc.  Because it's christofascists....an entire political party SUPPORTS them and will protect them at all costs.  Because one of our parties is an open and proud terrorist organization.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Electric grid.  Rail.  Bridges.  Pipelines.  Water and sewer infrastructure.  ALL OF IT.  It's all on the target list now.  They've done it.  It worked.  They will do it again.

I wonder what it would take nationwide to have something like the effect of the Tet offensive in Vietnam?

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's the kind of response that *Should* get the feds to start snooping around. A terrorist attack on our power grid seems like something they should be interested in. 

DHS has been sending out security notices about this exact scenario since January of this year, citing credible specific plans. They are already involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

100%, I guess I actually object to the phraseology even though everyone means well. I think happiness is a fools errand meaning either you won’t find it or if you do it will destroy you. Life is meant to be hard, easy, depressing, happy, infuriating, scary, painful, joyous all etc. etc. all of the above. We don’t find meaning in happiness we find it in all of the above. It’s more of a tangent not a disagreement. 

Interestingly enough, I was just given a copy of this:

%7B92FD2738-A9BE-470A-81C3-711264DBA897%

I find Haidt's stuff interesting, and find myself agreeing with him more often than not (although far from completely).  From what I understand, his conclusion is essentially that all paths to any semblance of happiness depend on connection and community.  In short, not things, but people and our experiences with them.  And I suspect there's a healthy dose of "and of course, pure happiness all the time isn't just impossible, chasing it is a path to the misery of disappointment."  I'm looking forward to digging into it more.  Cool tangent, enjoying discussing it with you. 

Now, back to the scheduled topic: psychotic christofascist terrorism, encouraged and enabled by functionally the entire American "right."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Who shoots a transformer anyway?  Something tells me there's more than meets the eye to this story.

Someone who knows exactly what they are doing. It is not a random act for sure to target two like this. Lead times on some of larger transformers are now measured in years and not months, that's why the government has been working hard to come up with a plan to address this critical weak spot. Even if you can get them, they are so huge, heavy and expensive, it's not like utilities are keeping a bunch of spares around. This all dates back to the PGE attack in 2013.  It was kept hush-hush and didn't really hit the news for another year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What if (and hear me out, because boy howdy, it's outrageous!) it was actual deputies or other law enforcement that did this.

I mean, that's really far-fetched, because this nation's loyal sworn officers would never do somethign like this, right?

Not really a leap. Couple years ago in Birmingham a cop was setting fire to abandoned houses because he liked the pretty colors. He was a daring boundary-pushing creative sort, because usually it's some Fire Dept. dude doing that.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If we were talking about islamofascist terrorists, we'd already be talking "threat levels," mobilizing forces, etc.  Because it's christofascists....an entire political party SUPPORTS them and will protect them at all costs.  Because one of our parties is an open and proud terrorist organization.

They just need to whisper Antifa falseflag just like Jan. 6.

Remember they both deny Jan. 6 was MAGA insurrectionists (Antifa!) and take great pride in their participation in Jan. 6. They're argument- and reality-proof. Their support for force will only be stopped by counterforce. 

It will be bloody because that's our way. It always has been. We do righteousness not rationality.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They just need to whisper Antifa falseflag just like Jan. 6.

Remember they both deny Jan. 6 was MAGA insurrectionists (Antifa!) and take great pride in their participation in Jan. 6. They're argument- and reality-proof. Their support for force will only be stopped by counterforce. 

It will be bloody because that's our way. It always has been. We do righteousness not rationality.

Perfect post.  QFT.

Note that for the attack that is the subject of this thread, we already have 1) proud MAGAs claiming their secret forces did it and struck a blow for God, and 2) it was a leftist antifa false flag or some shit like that.  

They will not listen to reality.  They will not listen to laws.  They will only respond to the language that they have chosen to become mono-lingual in: force.  They've made their choice.  That's why we have to bring the full force of the state to bear: arrests, trials, rot in jail.  Raids.  Violent resistance met with violent response.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1